78 comments

Drama

Eden Wheeler sat by the window sill, her hair flipping by the cold breeze. The thought of the biggest promotion of her life for her "Nobel" prize-winning book “Me Through The Dark” stretched the smile on her very face as she spent seconds thinking about it, but at the same time a thought deep inside still agitated her. Soon enough, the slamming of the door made her attentive, she eyed towards the door as she saw her friend walk in.

“I can’t!” Eden could see her getting annoyed.

“What can’t you Ava?” Asked Eden.

“I can’t pretend to be your so-called friend anymore, you did something extremely terrible which you are going to regret very badly and this time I am not going to support you, It's been two years, and you got that book for a reason, Ed, you got that book from your grandfather it was written by him!"

"You need a break Ava, come on, let’s take a walk, come on."

Eden reached Ava's hand, but she thrust it aside.

"NOW, NOW! you cannot treat me like a dog and give me orders Eden Wheeler, grow up! respect the dead and the living. I don't need your help nor our little chats ever again! WE are over!"

Ava went stomping through the floor and slammed the door behind her.


Eden felt isolated and deserted while tears rolled down to her chin.

Ava had been the only true friend Eden had except all the fans around the world. The thought in the corner had come alive and destroyed everything she had. She felt like she was a murderer, her life was over. Ava was right she did regret it and very badly, she lost a friend.

Eden walked over to the original copy of the book sitting on the dusty desk flipping its pages as the wind flew across the room. She sat by the book on her chair watched it for minutes then took hold of her phone to message Ava.

*Ava you know how I am, don’t you? you know me very well and you even know that even if you push me to reveal the truth I will not, because I am scared something worse will happen. Please answer soon*

Eden got Ava’s answer soon as she requested-Ava had blocked her. Eden lost hope of ever meeting her again and felt sadness and anger coming to her. She shut the book and walked over to her bookshelf as pushed the book between two fat books covering the space when she saw a rusty parchment on the top of the shelf, she lay hold of it and pulled it. She realized it was an envelope with her name on it and with the date of 30th September 1997, and with big bold words written by a quill, in the middle was written- ‘The will of Vesper Wheeler’, she opened up the envelope and read:


Dear granddaughter,

I am leaving you a book written by me during my life. This book will explain all the dark times I went through and the adventures. You will get this book at the age of 20 by your mother. I hope you will understand the importance of life after reading this book and I also hope you don’t use it in the wrong way.

With love,

Vesper Wheeler.

She checked the envelope once more and took out a black and white photo of a man in royal clothes and long white hair tied in a pony. She recognized the photo was of her grandfather and she was looking at him for the first time in her life, she sat there staring at him.

Eden’s mother had never given her this letter. After a while, She secured the envelope and slid it into her vintage brown slim bag and ran down the stairs, put on her coat, and pushed the wooden door out of the way as she entered the busy road with honking vehicles roaming around.


She had just entered a lane when she saw a lady in a jet-black cloak, long blonde hair, and a black umbrella the lady stood there alone with her umbrella giving shade from the sun shafts. Eden ran towards her recognizing that it was her mom and stood there face to face with her mother. Eden realized she had bought the will with her.

“Mom, why didn’t you give me this in the past 22 years? I had no idea that he faced all this! All I knew was that the book was written by him!”

Eden took the will and the picture out of her bag and revealed it to her mother.

“Where did you get this? Give that to me right now Eden!”

“Why didn’t you want to show this to me?”

“I said to give that to – “

“You haven’t answered my question yet!”

“Give it to—”

“ANSWER me, mom!”

“Fine! I was happy for the money you were sending us and I didn’t want you to realize you were doing anything wrong, I didn’t give you these because it would say that he has suffered all this and I knew you would never do anything like publishing it as you would be in deep emotion for that topic”

“And you were making me learn that I was wrong all this time!”

“because I know you very well that if you decide something you never leave it”

“I am going to my editor’s office to cancel my name and put his or- or take the book down!”

“You cannot do that you’ll rot in jail for the rest of your life!”

“At least I will tell the truth!”


She pushed her mother on the shoulder and started walking down the street on the way to her editor’s office when her phone vibrated. She pulled out her phone and checked the notification- her editor had sent a link. As she went through the link, she found that Ava had posted the recording of the fight they had before. Ava Had revealed the true identity of Eden. Eden hurried back to her house hearing the recording cautiously. She sat down on the dusty, peach flooring and stuck her back to the door as she cried and tears rolled down in heaps. She extracted the will from her bag and studied the handwriting as tears fell on the parchment and the ink spread out over the rest of the parchment.


Some days later she was apprehended for the concealment she had created as she realized chasing fame ended her on filling up her own deeds…




September 02, 2020 06:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

78 comments

Hriday Saboo
06:44 Sep 04, 2020

Hey Jena cmon we need another story in the upcoming prompt. I hope you will post something. -Hriday

Reply

Jena Shah
06:52 Sep 04, 2020

Ya, I think I will!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
07:54 Sep 04, 2020

Good. Would you mind upvoting some of my comments pls. About 15 to 20 if you don’t mind 🤗

Reply

Jena Shah
07:54 Sep 04, 2020

Sure☺

Reply

Jena Shah
07:56 Sep 04, 2020

Would you mind upvoting some of mine too!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
07:59 Sep 04, 2020

Sure

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
07:56 Sep 04, 2020

Thank ya a lot

Reply

Jena Shah
07:57 Sep 04, 2020

I have already upvoted all of them before

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:07 Sep 02, 2020

This was an awesome first story! You have amazing writing and I thoroughly enjoyed this plot...keep writing!

Reply

Jena Shah
12:11 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jena Shah
13:16 Sep 02, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Jena Shah
06:44 Oct 27, 2020

Thank you all the authors who gave my story so many likes and feedbacks, I know I did a lot of mistakes in this story and will try to improve it in my next one...I'll try to write another story as soon as possible...💜💜💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:23 Sep 08, 2020

Love the story, it's very well written. Jena Shah you definitely have a flare for writing. I can't wait to read another of your outstanding piece of work.

Reply

Jena Shah
06:30 Sep 08, 2020

Thanks :) ! will write one soon!

Reply

Jena Shah
13:18 Sep 12, 2020

Hi, when are you going to write your first story?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
15:01 Sep 03, 2020

It was so nice story, Jena!! Very beautifully written!! I enjoyed reading it. Some things I would say; 1. 'Soon enough, the slamming of the door made her attentive enough.' In this sentence there is no need to use 'enough' at the end. You can just write 'Soon enough, the slamming of the door made her attentive.' or something like this. 2. You should use Grammarly, it will help you correct little errors. That's it, I think. Good job👍 ~D

Reply

Jena Shah
15:13 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you for the suggestion I will surely use Grammarly for my next story! and Thank you for the correction too I will correct myself! :) 👍

Reply

D. Shikha
15:15 Sep 03, 2020

You're welcome!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
D. Shikha
16:59 Sep 10, 2020

One more thing Jena, don't write your age in your bio.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
11:10 Sep 02, 2020

It's a wonderful story Jena!

Reply

Jena Shah
12:11 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Amogh Kasat
14:18 Sep 02, 2020

my pleasure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
06:59 Sep 02, 2020

Brilliant story Jena shah. Liked it a lot Would you mind upvoting my comments

Reply

Jena Shah
07:04 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you. Not at all, I think I did upvote some of them.

Reply

Hriday Saboo
07:16 Sep 02, 2020

And do follow Aerin B, Batool Hussain, and [Currently unavailable]

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hriday Saboo
07:18 Sep 02, 2020

And even rhondalise mitza, Corey melin

Reply

Jena Shah
07:25 Sep 02, 2020

Welcome, I will surely follow them. Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
07:15 Sep 02, 2020

Thank ya Jena

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Anshika Goyal
07:43 Sep 14, 2020

Wow, Jena, this was an amazing story. The dialogues and description together make this story come alive, Keep up on the good work!!

Reply

Jena Shah
08:15 Sep 14, 2020

Thanks! :)

Reply

Anshika Goyal
08:43 Sep 14, 2020

Yeup, no problem Would you mind checking out two of my recent stories?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
04:04 Sep 12, 2020

Wow, this was good! I loved it! Great job!

Reply

Jena Shah
05:34 Sep 12, 2020

Thanks! 😊

Reply

Avery G.
18:48 Sep 12, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:26 Sep 10, 2020

Dear Jena Shah The topic chosen is good. A story writer is expected to deal with a dilemma in the most ethical way or in an unexpected way Your story lacks both. In simple words the Heroine of this story gets punished due to the straight forward approach of a friend. There is no drama no conflict and no twist in climax. At one place you say the book is written by her father and at another place by her grand father. No clarity why the will is written and what her grandfather wanted her to do with the book. Not a story worth your calibr...

Reply

Jena Shah
17:35 Sep 10, 2020

Thank you for your honest feedback, I will surely keep all the points in mind for my upcoming stories 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
05:03 Sep 08, 2020

would do you mind reading my latest story

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:34 Sep 08, 2020

NICE JENA CAN YOU TO UPVOTE MY STORY

Reply

Jena Shah
05:26 Sep 08, 2020

But...I can't see any story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lee
12:16 Sep 07, 2020

Hey. That is pretty good for your first submission. As with everyone else, i encourage three things - 1. Write for yourself don't worry about what the rest of us say. 2. Write understandably, clearly and lastly, 3. Don't write just to submit a piece, write with purpose. And have fun with it. Make sure you read through it several times before you hit submit - and check for typos, verb agreement/tense and long sentences. Sometimes on the second run through you can catch that sentence that could be shortened better than I can tell yo...

Reply

Jena Shah
12:50 Sep 07, 2020

Thanks😊! Will keep that in mind for my coming stories!

Reply

Jena Shah
12:51 Sep 07, 2020

Sure! Going there now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lyn M
14:35 Sep 06, 2020

Great story! Other than some minor punctuation/capitalization errors, it read really well. I feel so bad for how things worked out for Eden (which means you did a great job developing her as a character)! Thank you for sharing this.

Reply

Jena Shah
04:43 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you!........My Pleasure! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
13:38 Sep 02, 2020

Nice first story! I just a 1 piece of advice: Don't add 6 ellipses at the end, just add 3! It's a great story though! The name Eden is nice!

Reply

Jena Shah
15:47 Sep 02, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jena Shah
15:48 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you for the advice too! Will correct myself.

Reply

Akshat .
15:51 Sep 02, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Meggy House
17:33 Jan 28, 2021

Wow, Jena, this is a very clever story! Your writing is wonderful and I'm a bit sad that there's only one posted! You really deserve more points, so I'm going to upvote you. Would you mind upvoting me back?

Reply

Jena Shah
04:21 Jan 29, 2021

Thank you so much, Meggy!...also, thanks for upvoting me...I would never mind upvoting anyone. I loved your stories too and I'll try to write another piece as soon as possible 😃😊💜

Reply

Meggy House
20:13 Jan 29, 2021

Thank you so much! I am excited to read them!

Reply

Jena Shah
05:54 Feb 02, 2021

💜✌☺

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
03:01 Oct 27, 2020

That's Tae in your profile pic, right?

Reply

Jena Shah
06:26 Oct 27, 2020

Yup, are you an ARMY too?

Reply

D. Shikha
07:30 Oct 27, 2020

Yeah!!! An ARMY all the way~

Reply

Jena Shah
08:15 Oct 27, 2020

Good to know that, would be happy if there was someway of connecting to you😊💜💜

Reply

D. Shikha
08:24 Oct 27, 2020

Lol, we can talk here.😊 Purple you💜💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
D. Shikha
08:24 Oct 27, 2020

Btw where are you from?

Reply

Jena Shah
08:25 Oct 27, 2020

India

Reply

Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
17:05 Oct 14, 2020

When will you post another story?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hriday Saboo
04:58 Oct 13, 2020

Pls read my new story

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:04 Sep 24, 2020

Hey, Jena would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time.

Reply

Jena Shah
04:51 Sep 25, 2020

Hey! I saw your video it was amazing ,enjoyed it it bought back memories and you have excellent editing skills!...Keep it up😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.