0 comments

Fiction Funny Speculative

-I need to find Advanced Calculus by Michael Jackson, Tompson! I mean, sorry, Advanced Calculus by Michael Tompson...please.

"Oh my God just kill me now, it's 11:36, she's not gonna have it"

-Oh I'm sorry, we do not have that specific book.

"I KNEW IT, I'm so gonna fail this semester"

-But we do have a lot of other similar textbooks, why don't you wonder around Aisle 7? You'll find everything you need in Aisle 7.

-Thank you so much! Love you miss, see ya!

"Not that specific book, mmm, I can find something, I can find something useful, mmm, aisle 4... I wonder if she actually knows where all the books are by heart or if she just says random numbers and hopes you find the one... Aisle 5... Ok but I have the program, if I find a similar book with the same topics it's ok, right? yeah, I'll make it work... Aisle 6... Maybe I didn't search online enough, there are pdfs of everything, I even found the physics textbook online, and it was free! Well, I have to pay a small fee here, but mmmm, where was I? ah yes, pdfs online, there are pdfs of everything... Aisle 8... I read the entire Sherlock Holmes saga thanks to pdfs, It shouldn't be hard to find a very specific... wait! Aisle 8... Aisle 6. God, wake up! you can't be doing this to me now, focus! Aisle 6... Aisle 8! THERE IS NO AISLE 7?! What even is this?! Oh, God..."

-Excuse me, yeah, the other lady told me I would find the book I need in Aisle 7 and, It must be because I'm sleep deprived and I have a test tomorrow I haven't studied for, and all my friends are partying in Keith's house, but I can't find Aisle 7.

-Umm, there is no other lady, miss are you ok? have you consumed any not-very-legal substances? should I call your friends?

-No, no, forget it, I'm sorry, I'm going crazy and I can't find Advanced Calculus by Michael Jackson, Tompson!, Advanced Calculus by Michael Tompson.

-Umm, let me look for it.

"God she types so slow, don't you have to approve a typing test to be a librarian? I liked the old lady better, FOCUS! There was no old lady"

-Miss?

-Yes?!

-You were right about that, we have an Advanced Calculus by Michael Tompson in Aisle 7.

-Yeah, but I can't find it.

-Miss? Would you like me to call you a cab?

-I'm not on drugs, I don't do drugs, just sleep depredator, Thanks!

"I'm like 96.04 percent sure Aisle 7 is not there, it's April 26, must be an April fools prank they forgot. I'm sure, Aisle 5, I'm sure that someone messed with the Aisle numbers, but why? why do you, Aisle 6, why do you have to do something like that? is it fun? there's a secret camera and they are laughing now? Uhum, well according to my numeric knowledge, it's 6 then 7 so Aisle 7 should be... Right here?"

-Umm, miss, you found Aisle 7?

-Yes?

-Yes?

-Yes, I mean, yes, it's here.

"Right here. Weird. Well this is not the first and it's not gonna be the last hallucination I have due to a test, so get over it. Now. Advanced Calculus... I should better look for Michael Tompson, let's see, Michael Tompson... Tompson Michael...AHA! Advanced Calculus by Michael Tompson! Finally, now, mmm I do need a cab though."

-Miss? I'm gonna need that taxi, please.

-Thanks a lot sir!

-I hope you ace that test, kid! Goodnight!

"Now, off to work... mmm I know it's probably just me but this book is kinda heavier now than in the library, I'm just weaker, I'm tired... Now, coffee, some Richard's cookies and let's kill this test..."

"OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD! I FELL ASLEEP, I'M LATE! I DIDN'T STUDY! LORD PLEASE END MY SUFFERING NOW, TAKE MY SOUL TO YOUR- ok, enough, your roommate is the drama major, not you, you can do this, just take the whole liter bottle and fill it with espressos, it should be enough... The book! Well, I spent the whole week looking for you, now you are coming with me, we are in this together, if I fail, you heavy specific book, I'm dragging you with me. Is it 8 in the morning yet?!"

-If it isn't miss Just-in-time.

-I'm sorry professor, I'll sit down.

-I wasn't gonna let you in, but you crossed that door with magic on your side.

"Haha yeah, magic, 11 expresso shots sure make everything look magical. Now, ok I didn't study but I paid attention in every class, I have participated, I helped him connect the video beam to his computer twice this semester, I'm not gonna fail... Right?!"

"Now, what happened in the test?... I knew absolutely nothing. Just nothing. I filled in my name, tried to understand what the questions were asking me, I just couldn't... Just... Blank. But I've always refused to leave blanks so I randomly filled in the circles, my hand started writing numbers that made no sense... thanks for nothing Advanced Calculus by Michael Tompson. Now, the most unrealistic thing about this whole adventure is that this teacher actually corrects super quick so perhaps I'll get my 6 out of 89 next week, but Advanced Calculus by Michael Tompson, I got you for a week so I'm keeping you in my backpack, I get attached too easily."

-You don't care about this subject, right? And I'm talking to everyone, the average grade was 36, 36! out of 89. You wanted to graduate? Should have studied better, should have actually paid attention, should have asked the questions you all had! Why wait til the last couple of days to study? I'll call your name, give you the proof of your mediocrity, and then you leave, is that understood? Armstrong... Ahic...Buroth...

"Oh my God, I singlehandedly brought the class average down to that, he's gonna- wait, he didn't say mine, did he forget? No... But I know better than to interrupt him... He's so gonna call me to talk later..."

-You. Come.

"Well, here we go"

-I didn't want to embarrass you in front of the class, but congratulations, you aced it.

-What?

-89 out of 89, I never saw someone defend their answers like this, you should be proud, I know you probably studied hard, and you always participated, that's the truth, well, don't tell your mates, they are gonna lynch you, you were the only one who scored more than 45 in the test. That's it you can go now, congrats again.

"There must be a mistake. A mistake has been done, there's another girl named like me, maybe he confused the tests?... Nope, that's my handwriting, I wrote that when I was clueless, I completely guessed that test, that can't be good... Unless... Advanced Calculus by Michael Tompson, have you got anything to do with this? I've heard people saying that sleeping on top of a book helps learning everything on it, but, but I guess maybe that's some kind of metaphysics..."

-Yes, mmm, good afternoon, I took this book two weeks ago, and, yeah let me take it, yes, here is it, Advanced Calculus by Michael Tompson.

-Miss? Aren't you the girl that came here asking for a lady? something about the Aisle 7?

-Yes, and you told me where the book was.

-Miss are you sure you didn't pick that book in another library?

-What are you talking about?

-We don't have that book here, I told you last time, but of course, last time you were a little... well it doesn't matter, I called you a cab and you left.

-No, this is where I grabbed the book from, if not how do you explain the book, I even have your library card signed.

-Miss? Again, you can't be intoxicated in the library.

-I'm not!

-Miss there is no book.

-What do you mean there's no boo-

"There is no book... Why there is no book? I had it, I was handing it to her, it was heavy... What happened?

-No one came to rent a book two weeks ago. Should I call you a cab?

"No, I don't want a cab, I want answers! What is going on?! Have I gone crazy? Have I passed the point of no return? Am I always gonna hallucinate books that-... Books... The book..."

-ADVANCED CALCULUS BY MICHAEL TOMPSON!

April 27, 2021 04:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.