2 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Fantasy

The moment my mother, Mara, gave birth to me, the Wisewoman held me and gave me my Proclamation. The matronly female did this with every infant. It's tradition in our tribe.

"This child is special;" the Wisewoman said. "When calamity comes from the outside, she will be salvation for our people." My mother wanted to ask what that meant but she was too tired and shocked. So the Wisewoman left for her next appointment.

That was fifteen years ago. I'm almost old enough to have a family of my own. Yet I'm still the most unremarkable girl in our village. I'm not pretty like Kerada, the chief's daughter. I'm not good at making thatching for our hut's roof. I don't have visions. I don't know what I'm good for.

Certainly not saving people. If I'm lucky maybe I'll learn how to talk to chickens or something. "Samri;" my mother calls. "Get up and help me get water for the crops."

I groan and sit up, scrubbing my eyes as I wake up in the pre-dawn. Today is another day on our island. How will it be any different? I'll help mother and father with chores on our farm. If I'm lucky I'll be able to go hunt in the afternoon...if I don't have to sell any produce at market.

I hate market; I always run in to Fellurn or Tinia. They're both in the Wisewoman's class with me and they both hate me. Fellurn always ties my hair in knots while I'm not looking and Tinia loves to point out my flaws. "Samri;" Tinia often says. "Your chest is so flat and your arms are so scrawny. You'll never get a good man!" Ugh! I don't even care what that nasty cow thinks of my arms!

Pushing these thoughts from my head, I join my mother. We talk a little as we walk with our vases to the well. "How was your sleep last night?" Mother asks me. "Okay, I guess;" I lie to her not mentioning that I'd had nightmares about weird creatures all night. "Just okay?" she prods. "You don't feel any different do you?" I shrug indifferntly. "Nope;" I say. "Just another day."

The sun is starting to rise over the jungles. Shore bird calls begin to mix with the last cries of nocturnal beasts. My mother ties her vase to the rope and lowers it down into the generations old cistern. I was abou to grab another rope and follow suit when a voice breaks the silence. "Mara!" the Wisewoman calls out. "Is that you? I must speak to you and your daughter!"

My mother and I turn towards her. "What's the matter?" Mother asks. The Wisewoman grabs me by both arms and stares wide eye into my face. "Do you remember your Proclomation, child?" She asks me. It's not polite to sass someone who is elderly. "I remember what my mother said." I tell her. "But I don't know why that matters."

She nods approvingly. "The prophecy is going to be fulfilled." She said. "Today a great wind, rain and lightning will darken our skies!" A storm, it's the hottest part of the year of course storms would come ashore. "We've always had bad weather;" I say. "Nothing unusual--"

"This will bring worse!" The Wisewoman says. "I have seen visions of shining beings riding in a giant log made of many logs. These beings look like men but they are demons. Their log will be brought to us by the winds from the storm! They will tell us they want peacefull trade but they will kill, steal, ravish and bring disease! You, Samri, are the only one who can save us from these monsters!" I felt cold in spite of the warm air surrounding me. "How can I stop such terrible things?" I say. "I am not a warrior." The Wisewoman's face softened and she spoke with kind urgency. "Samri;" she says. "Remember the stories I taught you and the other children. Not all peril is fended off with strength."

No sooner had she finished this lecture than the sky became almost black. Wind began to blow. "It's begining" the Wisewoman says. "Get home quickly and prepare yourselves!" She hobbled as fast as her legs and staff would carry her.

My mother and I grabbed our vessels and hurried to our hut. We made sure our livestock was safe in their shelter and then huddled with my father in our hut.

Outside the rain smashed against the palm leaves of our roof and wind tore at the chords holding our door curtain in place. I prayed the torches did not extinguish. Darkness with only lightning bolts often reminded me of the legends of our island's thunder spirits. They were supposed to be merciless beings of light, fire and shadow. Anyone unwise enough to go outside during a storm was often savaged by the thunder spirits.

I must have dosed off. The next time I opened my eyes, it was late afternoon. The storm and clouds had given way to the amber light of dusk. I checked to see if my parents were still alive. "Are you two allright?" I asked. Mother and father both nodded. "I'm going outside to see if anyone needs help." I told them. "Stay here, I'll be back before sundown."

There was some damage to the village. A few other families were taking note of their remaining assests and repairs to be made. Remembering what the Wisewoman had told me, I headed to the beach.

Amazingly, there was what looked like a giant tree made up of dead trees laying almost on its side in the sand. Around it, four or five two legged creatures with metal arms, bellies and feet milled around the wreckage. I looked at the new arrivals. What was with their legs? They looked like they were made of poofy fabric.

I stood still mesmerized by the unusual scene. One of them noticed me! My legs refused to run even though I was terrified. It got the attention of the other creatures. They moved at a slow deliberate pace.

"Parblo, les Spenchagese?" The one in the front of the group gabbled at me. I had no idea what that meant. "Parblo, les Spenchagese?" The creature said again. I tried to back away but stumbled over a piece of driftwood.

Seeing me fall, the thing stopped and put its hands to its head...and PULLED. I screamed and looked away. A metal hand tapped my shoulder. I looked back. A bearded face stared back at me! It was the face of a man but he didn't look like anyone I'd seen. His hair was black but curly and his nose was narrow and beaky like a sea eagle and his skin had no color. The man thing offered his hand to me. I took it and he pulled me to my feet.

"Thank you;" I said. "My name is Samri." The strange person stared at me like he hadn't understood. I gestured to myself. "Samri;" I repeated. Body language finally conveyed my meaning. He brought his hand to his chest with a clunk. "J'Mi anobrelle es Paulo;" he said. "Paulo." I nodded to let him knew I'd heard.

Paulo looked around for a stick. He picked one up and drew in the sand with it. A box with a squigly line and a dot next to it. I looked at him in confusion. He tapped his ears and neck, then gestured to me and raised an eyebrow. I realized that I was wearing my shell necklace and golden hoops. Maybe he wanted to know where I got them?

Smiling I waved for them to follow me. I led them to the market place. I kept a carefull eye on my new aquaintances. They had all removed their head carapieces. What men were like crabs? I had no clue but so far they hadn't hurt me.

Most of them gawked at the women and jewelry. What I obseved worried me. They might not be like my people but some emotions are universal. On their faces I recognized lust and greed. I'd seen that before on Fellurns face when he looked at the chief's daughter at great feasts.

Despite my concerns, I had no idea what to do. I ran into cheif Palani. "What are these?" He asked. "Are they men or crustacians?" I stammered. Before I could answer the one called Paulo approached Palani. "Bon Tardes." He babbled. "J'Mi anobrelle es Paulo. Yt son garconbre es mi Marshalles." Palani looked to me for help. "They don't speak our language;" I told him. "They seem to want to get some gold or jewelry; at least thats what I think their crude gestures and pictograms mean."

Cheif Palani processed this. "I need your help;" he said. "I'm going to act like I'm trading my ring for your necklace. Maybe we can make them understand." I took off my sea shells and handed them to the chief. He removed his ring and handed it to me. We bowed and then handed eachother back our items. We looked to see if Paulo had gotten the idea. "Ah!" He said and reached into a leather pouch. He pulled out some sort of coins. He pointed to my necklace and offered me the metal discs.

Reluctantly, I took off my necklace and handed it to Paulo. He handed me the coins and offered me his hand. I stared at it. What was this? Paulo noticed my hesetancy and demonstated with one of his companions. The two of them clasped hands and moved their arms up and down. It must be their way of negotiating friendly interaction. After Paulo turned back to me, I mimicked their actions.

Later that night, Cheif Palani asked me to find a place for our odd new aquaintances to stay the night. We had almost reached an empty hut when the Wisewoman saw us. "What are you doing?!" She screamed. "These are the demons I warned you about! They cannot stay!"

Before I could react, the Wisewoman had raised her staff and began to charge. Faster than I thought possible Paulo drew a metal blade and plunged it into her heart. She fell to the ground bleeding. I knealt by her to see if there was anything I could do.

The light had already faded from the older woman's eyes. My face was hot with anger. I glared at Paulo and the look I saw on his face was terrifying. His eyes were like obsidian, sharp, cold and unfeeling. He didn't seem to care that he'd slaughtered another human.

Paulo still had his weapon drawn. I knew I had to keep calm, otherwise he'd probably kill me too. I led them into the hut and left hurriedly.

At my own home I found my father still awake. "The demons came;" I told him. "They already killed the Wisewoman. I need your help to drive them out." My father gaped in horror. "How can we?" He said. "They must be very powerful." I thought and an idea sparked aglow like a firefly. "You know the thunder spirits?" I said. "Maybe they should greet these fiends." My father sighed. "We can't contoll them." He said. "There's no hope--"

"Yes there is!" I insisted. "These demons have never seen the thunder spirits. We could make costumes and scare them!" Still not convinced my father helped me stitch together some animal skins and we doused them in water. After we put on our disguise, he made bright torches and grabbed two conch shells. He handed one torch and chonch to me. "Lead the way, my little cocunut;" he said.

When we found ourselves close to Paulo's hut, we held the torches as close to ourselves as we dared. First my father then I blew on our shells. The noise woke the sleeping demons up. Paulo stared at both of us, his eyes wide with fear. He shouted something to his compainions.

Father and I advanced waving our torches and blowing our conches. Soon Paulo and his men were running into the jungle like piglets that have just seen a jaguar. Once we could no longer see the demons, my father and I shrugged out of our costumes. We shared a laugh and went home.

None of the strange people from the wreck were seen ever again. Now I understand the Wisewoman's Proclamation. I saved my village from evil, I only wish the old woman had seen it.

October 07, 2020 03:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Chris Wagner
14:19 Oct 15, 2020

Besides a couple typos, I saw nothing wrong with the writing mechanics. The plot, well, Columbus day was right around the corner, I guess. The prophecy of the conquistadors was a little too obvious, I saw it coming a mile away. The encounter made me wonder if they were going to sing "savages, savages" like they did in Pocahontas. The best part was the twist at the end of your story where they play a prank on the 'white devils', would have been better to start closer to that part. But again, it's not a bad story, it's at least professionally ...

Reply

Marian Reiley
02:42 Oct 22, 2020

I'm sorry you found my writing cliche. So you probably saw my antagonists as conquistadors but I tried to make their language reflect a mix of Portuguese, French and Spanish. Also the tribe the protagonist is from is actually based more off Polynesian culture. The entire story wss supposed to be in an alternate reality so I guess I tried to make them a little less "Spanishy". Maybe I could've done a little more research. But thank you for saying my writing isn't boring.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.