In Search of a Shell

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: Your character wants something very badly — will they get it?... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Fiction Teens & Young Adult

The Muses had struck Aldora as she meandered along the coast. Her feet left footprints in the sand, and the waves soon washed them away. The wind cut capers around her shoulders, lifting her hair from her lowered head. A camera bounced around on her neck. In the sky the sun was at its pinnacle, partially covered by clouds. Seagulls screeched merrily, their voices causing dissonance with the waves.  

Kicking up sand, Aldora wondered if she would ever be able to find a rare shell. She was experienced in beachcombing and diving, but anything she had ever managed to find was lame. Experts in the field unfeelingly reassured her that it could take her all her life to find what she desired. For nearly five years Aldora had been searching for what she considered the greatest prize of her life: a queen conch shell. The golden and pink hues of the shell always set her dreaming. 

Aldora threw up her head. What good was it to mope around on the beach? Maybe she could go diving later, if the wind calmed down. Turning away from the crashing waves, Aldora trudged up to the boardwalk. 

The boardwalk was busy, as usual, with tourists who ducked in and out of the shops. Signs for the different wares and services flapped in the breeze. Aldora’s feet slapped the wood as she slowly wove her way through the crowd. She had a few dollars in her pocket, intending to buy herself a Cuban sandwich for lunch. After all, walking on the beach for nearly three hours would make any teenager ravenous. 

“Hey, ‘Dora!” a familiar voice called. Aldora rolled her eyes before turning to the person standing behind her. “Hello to you, too,” she sarcastically replied. William shrugged his shoulders and grinned. 

For one, Aldora could not stand William. Every time she encountered him in school or on the beach, he insisted on tagging along with her until she could properly dispose of him. His hair was unfashionable, his smile was crooked, and he always looked like he had rolled out of bed without bothering to check his appearance in the mirror. Aldora’s mother always chided her for judging people based on their image, but this guy was different.  

Aldora quickly turned away from William and continued her quest for her lunch. William joined her at her side. They walked silently for a few minutes until the odor of fried fish overwhelmed them. “You don’t happen to be turning in for lunch, do you?” William asked. Aldora merely nodded and walked into the small restaurant. 

After ordering and receiving her sandwich, Aldora viciously attacked it with only the vivacity known to those who are hungry. William had also bought himself lunch, and they sat together at the same table. When Aldora was done, William ventured to inquire what she would be doing for the rest of the afternoon. Aldora glanced at the beach and noticed that the waves had calmed a little. “Probably diving or beachcombing if the tide goes out,” she replied. 

William had undeniably brightened at the mention of diving. “What do you like to dive for?”  

“Shells,” Aldora succinctly responded. 

“Alright! You’ve got to meet my dad- he collects shells too!”  

“Maybe some other time.” Aldora feigned uninterest, but her eyes had the glint of curiosity, and William caught on. 

“His shop is just up the boardwalk here- let's go!” With that, William seized her hand and took off running. Aldora had no choice but to follow, although her shoulder felt like William had nearly torn her arm out of its socket. 

Running after just eating is not a wise decision, but they soon arrived at their destination. The sign held still in the breeze and read “The Poppin’ Divers”. It was a rusty-looking shop, with a squeaking door and paint chipping off the sides. Nevertheless, William pulled Aldora in with alacrity. He was single-minded in his mission to introducing Aldora to his father. 

“Hello, son!” a voice boomed in from the right. “Who’ve you got there?” Aldora was transported in front of William with another tug on the arm. The man standing in front of her towered above her, his muscles bulging over his crossed arms. The wall behind him was lined with different pieces of scuba gear. “This is Aldora, dad, and she told me she collects shells,” William answered. The man scanned Aldora up and down. Deeming her fit, he stuck out his hand and bellowed, “I’m Mr. Riley, Will’s dad here. How can I help you?” 

In the last few seconds Aldora had been struck with an idea that caused her to wonder whether she was sane or not. What if she asked this man, Mr. Riley, if she could borrow a set of his scuba gear? Aldora had left her set at home, and she did not relish the idea of walking all the way back in order to haul the awkward pieces. At first, she rejected this new idea with vehemence. This was William’s dad’s shop, after all! Why would anyone in their sane mind ask a favor of someone they did not admire? Also, Aldora had nothing but twenty-five cents and her beloved camera on her. How can you pay with nothing? 

Unfortunately for Aldora, her thirst for her queen conchs got the better of her. She shook Mr. Riley’s hand and rashly requested, “Would I be able to rent a set of gear for diving?” Mr. Riley looked amiable enough at the prospect of a new customer, but as soon as he found out she had no money, he roared with laughter. He laughed until the tears came into his eyes, Aldora’s face burned with indignation, and people passing by craned their heads to look into the shop. When he done with his fit, Mr. Riley coolly turned back to Aldora and his son, and motioned for them to leave the shop. 

“I’m not a free-store, you know,” Mr. Riley scowled. Aldora was miffed. She retorted, “I didn’t say you were! I’m not dumb, you know!”  

Mr. Riley ignored her comeback and turned to his son. “And why did you come bringing this girl here if you know that I don’t like people who can’t pay?”  

William trembled a little under the sound of his father’s voice. “I brought her here so you can talk about shells. It’s not like I knew she was going to do that!” Mr. Riley turned away from his son’s eyes and began cleaning up a shelf. “Don’t come back in here today.” 

In defeat, Aldora and William scurried away from the shop and ran down to the beach. They found a smattering of rocks to sit on. Aldora was glowering from her humiliation and sat with her arms crossed. She glared at the rocks, the sand, and the waves, wondering why she was so brash in her actions. William had followed her and sat next to her, but she entirely ignored him. 

William felt awful about his dad’s response and the ensuing rejection. He knew his dad didn’t like people who thought they could get away with things for free. William had only been trying to link two shell enthusiasts in order to get Aldora to actually like him. He didn’t know why Aldora despised his presence, but he tried anyway. 

He turned to Aldora. “I’m sorry, you know,” he gently said. There was no response. “I just wanted you to get to know my dad. He’s a great man, and he has the largest shell collection I know anyone to have. I’m really, really sorry.” 

Aldora turned to him, fire flashing in her eyes. “Do you really think I wanted to rob your dad of money?” Her glare made him uncomfortable. He shook his head. “Then I am going back there, and I am going to tell your old man exactly what I think!” Aldora jumped up and was off before William could reply. In fact, he was shocked at her audacity!  

As Aldora ran up the beach, she looked as wild as the ocean. She hadn’t stopped to think about the consequences her actions might bring. She only stormed up the boardwalk, determination blazing in her eyes like a great conflagration. William ran after her, wondering what scene was going to ensue. 

Aldora flew into the shop, scouting out Mr. Riley. She found him with a satisfied smirk on his face as he watched her approach. “Mr. Riley, sir, I resent the fact that you refused to hear out my proposition about the scuba gear. You should be the most embarrassed out of both of us for doing that! I was going to offer to find something with a lot of value in exchange for the scuba gear. But since you don’t care, I’m off and I’ll never be back again!” 

During this outburst Mr. Riley’s face appeared surprised. He thought that Aldora was one of those girls that were easily subdued when rebuked. He didn’t think any other sort of girl would hang out with his son. 

Mr. Riley quickly grabbed Aldora’s arm. For the second time in the day, she felt like her arm was going to be ripped off. “Let go!” Aldora fussed. In her mind, however, Aldora had hoped for a response from Mr. Riley, and this was perfect. By this time William had arrived, huffing from running the whole way. 

“Look here, girl, I don’t like being spoken to this way, and you deserve the switch for it.” Mr. Riley’s face was stern and unforgiving. Aldora pulled away from his grasp. Suddenly Mr. Riley’s mouth broke into a smile, causing Aldora to startle. “But you are one of the boldest girls I have ever come across. You remind me of my wife, actually.” With that remark a shadow passed over Mr. Riley’s face.  

Aldora had been slowly inching to the door, hoping to exit while he wasn’t looking. Mr. Riley’s next words arrested her attention. “I’ll make a deal with you,” he cautiously began. “If you leave your camera here and go scuba diving while William mans my boat, you’ll have no fees this time around.” 

Aldora pondered this change of events. This deal sounded great, except Aldora had to leave her precious camera with someone she barely knew. She had received her camera for a birthday present. It could take pictures underwater. There never was a place where Aldora was without it. Moreover, she was still feeling humiliated over Mr. Riley’s earlier response. She lifted up her head haughtily. “I won’t, not after what you did to me,” she answered. 

Willing to make amends, Mr. Riley apologized, “I am sorry for my actions toward you earlier.” Slightly mollified, Aldora replied, “And I’m sorry for my outburst.” She then acquiesced to the deal. She honestly did not know why she was agreeing to it. Perhaps she had an inkling of a feeling that her hunt for shells would go differently that day. William had stood looking on, surprised at his dad’s allusion to his mom as Aldora confronted him. He shook his head to himself and got prepared to pilot the boat for Aldora. 

Gingerly setting down her camera, Aldora wondered if she was slightly deranged. She was sacrificing her camera for this expedition. Sometimes sacrifices are necessary in order to achieve a goal. Aldora felt this acutely. Mr. Riley locked her camera away in a safe underneath the shop’s counter. Aldora felt as if she had been robbed, but she knew that she would get her camera back later. She swallowed the feelings in her throat and took the wetsuit Mr. Riley held out to her. She made her way to the changeroom to put it on. 

William had found the keys to his father’s boat and was tossing them around impatiently. At least the pier was only a couple hundred yards away. If it had been any further, William would have despaired of ever getting onto the boat. Aldora had come out and received the rest of her gear from Mr. Riley. “Thanks, Mr. Riley, sir,” she told him. Mr. Riley nodded, then turned to his son. “And you, son watch out for any signs of storms. Come back before the tide goes out.” William nodded. 

Aldora and William didn’t say anything to each other as they walked to the pier. They got into the boat and William started it. Aldora had flopped on the seats in the back of the cabin and watched the views as William coasted to the open sea. He knew exactly where to go because he had gone shelling with his dad many times before. He pointed the bow toward the coral reefs in the southeast. Receiving a message from his dad on the radio, William replied their coordinates. The boat was moderately sized, with a large deck special to its kind. The sun shone brightly, promising an afternoon of good weather. 

After thirty minutes, they had arrived at the reefs and sand flats. Neither of them had spoken to each other. Aldora popped out of the cabin, pulling on her oxygen tank, flippers, and goggles. Making sure to double-check every part, Aldora gave William instructions on when she would be ready to resurface. She then leaned her back on the portside and flipped off. 

It was truly another world being in the water. The different species of fishes gleamed in the sunlight, and the corals in the near distant sang a song of color. Aldora enjoyed being underwater, and smiled to herself as she began to scout the sand flats for her special shell. She swam around for nearly an hour when she spotted what looked like a queen conch. Making sure she still had the bilge of the boat in view, Aldora excitedly approached the shell. It was a queen conch shell, after all those years of searching! Aldora calmly reached for her treasure. It was the greatest of her dreams come true. 

What Aldora wasn’t anticipating was for the shell to scuttle away as if it had been struck by lightning. Aldora wasn’t worried that she would get lost; she had a GPS device attached to her waist so William would know where she was. She pursued the conch shell, but every time she got closer, it shot away further. Queen conch shells weren’t supposed to do that, but Aldora didn’t stop to think. 

William got a little nervous when he noticed Aldora’s path on the radar. Why was she moving away so quickly? No one swims that fast while shell hunting. William started the motor to cruise after Aldora. She was moving farther and farther away at an alarming rate. 

Aldora continued to race after the shell, almost touching it every single time she got near. Was the shell possessed? She didn’t understand, but she didn’t give up.  

Hours passed, and William knew that the tide would be going out soon. He radioed his dad for instructions. The man swore and told him to give the signal to come up. William did, but there was no action on Aldora’s part. Was the GPS malfunctioning? 

Then, suddenly, the GPS lost contact. Aldora didn’t notice, but she realized she only had thirty minutes left on her oxygen tank. She gave one last push for the goal, edging into the open ocean. William called his father again about the lost contact. Mr. Riley told him he was coming to meet him with the Coast Guard. William gave his coordinates and hoped there was no danger. 

Aldora was losing oxygen rapidly. She looked for the boat, but it was nowhere in sight.  

Meanwhile, the Coast Guard got on the job immediately, with Mr. Riley on board. This was serious. William paced up and down the deck of his boat. 

Aldora began pushing for the surface, leaving her precious conch shell to its fate. At this moment, her life was more important. She felt herself getting faint, so she engaged the emergency tank. 

The Coast Guard’s boat overtook the boat William was on. He related the details to them while Mr. Riley merely grimaced at the loss of his charge. The Coast Guard took action. 

Aldora was panicking. The tanks felt heavy, the surface seemed far. Served her right for going diving without a professional on board the boat. Still, she pushed upward, making sure she was following the direction of her bubbles she was making. 

The Coast Guard scanned the area for irregularly moving things. On the very edge of the radar a swimmer was detected, about a mile away. 

Aldora’s head broke the surface. There was nothing in sight but the setting sun. She struggled to keep afloat. 

The Coast Guard picked up speed to the direction of the object on the radar. Mr. Riley cursed when he realized that Aldora’s oxygen tank would be empty now. 

Aldora fought to stay on the surface. She disengaged the empty oxygen tanks, knowing that it would be better without them. 

They got nearer and nearer. The Coast Guard slowed down to trawling speed. Just off the starboard side a thrashing figure was detected. They prepared their rescue team. 

Aldora used up the very last bit of oxygen, then slipped into the false bliss of unconsciousness.  

Two divers flipped into the water, then grabbed hold of the net they had prepared. They swam toward the diver, keeping her sinking form in view. 

The next thing Aldora knew was that she was blinking her eyes open. Before her hovered a medic, William, and Mr. Riley. Most surprising of all was what she held in her hands. Two queen conch shells were nestled in her arms. Looking from them to Mr. Riley, she held one out. “Here,” she croaked. “That’s compensation for loss of your tanks.” Mr. Riley laughed as he took it. William gaped at Aldora for her find. “Man, look at those shells!” 

September 14, 2024 00:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

David Sweet
00:37 Sep 16, 2024

Nice story! Welcome to Reedsy! I hope you find this platform a great place to share your stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.