0 comments

Coming of Age Crime Funny

That's the thing about this city. You can't take two steps without running into trouble.

The name's Max. This is a story about how I went from a delinquent kid to a hero within 10 minutes. Hard to believe right? Well let's see what you think after I tell this to ya.

Our city of Frayton was not much of a city, and almost nobody knew it existed. Placed somewhere far away from all other civilization, it's was the kinda city where everybody knows everybody. And word got around fast.

My parents died when I was young. I don't know who they were, nor do I remember their faces. Any time I asked people round my street, they'd get all quiet like what I was asking was some type of taboo. They'd look at me and say something like, "I don't know sweetie, I never met them." But I know that's a lie, 'cuz Gramps said that everybody knows everybody. And Gramps is always right.

After a while, I stopped asking 'round, 'cuz no one was giving me an answer. I was angry. Why did people look at me with guilt? I ain't never done anything to them, nor have they done anything to me. It was more than frustrating, it was aggravating.

Gramps tells a ton 'a stories about when our city was in its prime. There used to be tons of business coming in an' out, the streets filled to the brim with cars. The inn Gramps is running was always brimming with customers, business men and young woman looking for husbands, to young children run away from home. All sorts of people looking for shelter would stay in the small rooms to catch a wink of sleep. He even said once that someone found love there. Some flirty guy who tried to woo the woman all night long pulled his charms on the rare beauty who had just come in. He offered her a rose which she rejected. No matter the moves he pulled, she rejected every one.

It was quite the show, everybody in town had come to take a peek at the situation, and young girls and boys who were way past their bedtime snuck a peek behind the tall countertop. He said even when everyone hauled themselves in bed, he sat against her door and slept there, telling any passerbyers that "A pretty girl like this needs protection."

The inn stayers heard a loud bang and a scream the next morning. People rushed out of their rooms in their pajamas, worry spread across their brow. Turns out when she had opened the door, she had forgotten he was there and when he fell on his head, she screamed. Gramps said it was quite romantic how she ushered him in and put a cold cloth on the back of his head, apologizes spewing from her mouth over and over again. A shit eating smirk was spread across his face, and everyone could tell he was enjoying the attention.

A rumor spread around the inn that they had left that afternoon together in secret. Gramps said he hasn't seen them since that day though. I would 'ave liked to see them for myself.

All those stories don't line up with the current situation. Not one customer could be found in the inn. The sign outside was grimy and falling off on one side, making the place look like an abandoned building.

The rest of the city was no different. Hungry bellies rumbled and rain drowned out the sound of crying. Everybody seemed to be in a rough spot. All the cars driving down the streets were beaten and owned by someone in the city; any cars that left on the main road were sure to have been stolen. Nobody came in, no one came out. You lived and died there.

Not that it mattered much to me. There was only one way to survive in this world, and that was to take what wasn't yours.

In fact, just before the event this story is about occured, I was climbing a dirty drain pipe in the rain. We had run out of grain and Gramps was sick in bed with a bad cough. It meant I needed to go get some supplies.

The drainpipe I was climbing was attached to a building owned by the one of the wealthiest families in the city. Well, as wealthy as you can get when there's basically no business. The man of the household was a landlord, and collected tax money from the people who lived in the apartments they owned. The people who lived there were his wife, two daughters, and a newly born baby boy. Although the family was bigger than I liked, they were one of two households that got shipment from outside the city. Also, that day was an opportunity I just couldn't miss. Not only were the two daughters in school, but their father was out collecting taxes at the moment. He was at the apartment on the other side of town, giving me at least 2 hours to get in and out of there. It was almost too lucky. I bet my chances that the mother would be taking care of the baby boy and peeked over the windowsill.

It was far from a sunny day. The slightly drizzle made the pipe slippery, it was only thanks to how close the next building was that I didn't fall to my death. It took me quite a while to get up to the window, but I'm not sure just how long 'cuz I didn't have my watch on me.

I remember my heart racing as I peeked over the windowsill, with the position I was in there was no quick escape except for an escape into hell.

The coast was clear, so I went along inside. I dropped my muddy shoes down below and hauled myself inside. I made sure I didn't make any noise as I crept towards the next room, which was where they kept all the goods.

I heard a baby crying and a mother shushing it kindly. It felt like they were right behind me, so I quickly hid inside one of those cabinets on the ground. You know, the ones that 'er just the right size for little kids? Well this one had a gap on the top so I could see what was happening outside. This'll be important in a second.

I heard the mother's footsteps coming into the pantry room or whate'er it's called. She had the kid in her arms, rocking him back and forth as she reached out for a bottle of milk that was sitting on the counter. The woman rocked the kid back and forth for what seemed like hours to me. The goddamn baby just wouldn't calm down!

The drumming of my heart was so loud I thought she could hear it. It was honestly one of the most nerve racking situations I had ever been in. Damn women pampering their kids.

Anyway, this is where the story gets interesting. Trust me alright?

She was 'bout to leave when a knock on the door caught our attention. I saw her walk out of the room in a hurry, probably putting her luggage in it's room.

The door was to my left, and I was just behind a convenient wall. The layout was kinda like, there was the little counter and cabinet I was in, and the rest of the pantry spanned around me, with the next room to my right. Basically, I couldn't see a damn thing.

The doorbell rang once again, and realization struck me. Was this... oh wow. I have forgotten his name. Well, I thought it might be the man of the house, which would be bad.

My heart started pounding again, I felt ready to run if I got caught. I slipped my hood on and almost made a run for it when the woman opened the goddamn door. Curse that damn woman.

As I thought in my head that I was doomed, I heard a sharp gasp. Uh oh. Turns out something was up.

In fact, something was horribly up. Like really bad.

I couldn't see what was happening, obviously, but the multiple heavy footsteps and struggling and screams and all that good stuff told me that there was no one good at the door. It was quite a sticky situation.

It wasn't like I could see what was happening, but I do know now, so I can tell you what was going on.

While I was hidin' in that cabinet, Mrs... Beers! Mrs. Beers was 'er name, was opening up the door to quite a horrific sight.

Bandits! Holding both her kids hostage! Armed with knives and guns! It was insane! Anyway, my intuition told me that this woman needed my help. I couldn't pass up the chance to help a damsel in distress!

Even though I play it up not very seriously, it was quite scary. I could hear the kids crying for their mommy as Mrs. Beers crashed her back on the wall blocking me from them. At this point, the grain mission was a complete bust. I could run away, but I'm not a black belt in karate for nothin'.

Oh, I didn't mention that did I. It's super important. If Gramps hadn't taught me, that would been a veeeeeeeery sticky situation for me. Super sticky. So sticky I would pro'bly be dead.

Let me see if I can remember. The guy said something like, "Hey girl, tell us where your husband is and no one gets hurt." Or something I don't remember.

Then Mrs. Beers said something along the lines of, "Give me back my children. Please!" Something really dramatic and all.

"What type of story is this?"

Shut up and listen rugrat. Interrupting my story.

Okay, they went back and forth, blah blah blah, put what pulled me in action was her cry for help.

"Oh, if only a handsome young man with a black belt in karate would save me." Was what she said.

"Oh my god, you're totally making that up."

Nuh uh, this story is 100% real. Not one lie in it.

Hmm, then I blasted those guys away. It didn't take long for a handsome young man with a black belt in karate to clean up that mess. It was probably the one and only thing I've ever done for someone. I knew I would get in trouble after all that from trying to steal some grain, but ignoring a woman in need is a crime against heaven. Ask your Dad, he will tell you the same thing.

Well, once I saved the day and stuff, Mrs. Beers regarded me as a hero. And as I said, word got around fast. Now people come show up to Gramps with grain all the time!

It sure is smooth livin'.

"Max! Why is my bed not made?" Mrs. Beers peered around the corner to look a terrified Max in the face. Somehow he had snuck out during his personal servant punishment and started telling stories to the little kids around town.

Yeah. His punishment for being a sneaky thief was doing the house chores around the Beers's house.

"Ah! My bad! I'm coming!" With an angry woman on his heels, the kids were left alone in the middle of the street.

It seemed Max's story was over. Back to the usual grind.

Or was it?

T.B.C

March 20, 2021 03:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.