The Lemon Tree

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story in which the same line recurs three times.... view prompt

16 comments

Suspense Crime Mystery

A beam of moonlight stepped over the balcony and was lying on the bed. Starry figures bloomed in the dark inky pot above. A sudden craving of thirst found Adele sitting up straight in her bed, stretching her arms and yawning like a ferocious bear. Chocolate strings of hair were tangled up in a ponytail leaving a few trails on her forehead. Her eyelids felt heavy as she tried to get up from her pink dyed bed sheet. Her sight stumbled on the sleeping Hawaiians and the silent houses chirping in the dark. She fluttered her lids rapidly to drive away from the drowsiness when a languorous tear trickled down her right eye accompanied by a wide yawn. 


CRASH!! 


A sound rushed from the next bedroom in a row, loud enough to bring Adele back to her senses. She pulled her navy dipped nightgown up for an easy run and dashed towards the symmetrical bedroom. Pieces of glass surrounded the windowpane like bits of beads of a broken kaleidoscope. Adele peeped down from the shattered window and found a running shadow waiting for her in the midst of moonlight. 


Stupid kids


She made the wise decision to clean the mess up later whilst late dawn. While forming an unknown path in the dark, she fumbled on a piece of stone, the culprit of her new headache. Her hands laced around a wrinkled paper wrapped around the stone. It took her no longer to understand that she was obliged to receive a secret message, thanks to Sherlock Holmes extracts. She carried the white piece of the engraved letter and threw the stone away. Under Adele’s silver table lamp, the letters showed up forming a sentence. No weird letters, no confusing shapes, no riddles, just a simple sentence


‘Dig under the lemon tree.’ it said with a picture imprinted on the paper. It was Bob’s photograph back when he was in the military. 


Adele stared at the soot-covered photograph of her long lost husband. Bob had died two years ago in a plotted car crash but the unknown victim is still running out of law’s austere circles. The police had pulled their hands up and closed the case deliberately stating some baseless reasons. Adele tried for months, gathering up the clues, talking to Bob’s colleagues but no success and now the clues have themselves walked towards her. 

Dig under the lemon tree she thought but that made no sense. There was no lemon tree rooted around her except…

Except for the haunted house. 


A couple named Mr and Mrs Courtemanche had died there a few years ago leaving disguised screams and screeches behind them, giving their mansion a new hobby to scare people. Myths started floating in the air and ever since that, no one ever wandered around the spider-webbed house. In the middle of the house had outgrown a lemon tree. Its spiralling leaves and golden fruits saw the face of sunlight through the broken roof and rainfall became its only survival. Adele could be counted as one of those Amazons who had no fear to face the unknown. She ordered herself to follow her only hope and visit the Courtemanche’s house in the morning. 


Dreams flew off before they even touched Adele’s sensors. Only one thought played in the back of her mind. ‘I have to find my husband’s killer. Whoever he is, he’s got a grave danger running behind him.’ Fumes of anger and revenge burned in her veins. 


After a few awakened hours, Adele finally decided to call her sister to share the bricks of pain on her spine. Being an orphanage, she was her only shoulder. She told her sister the whole incident and bought some encouraging words in return. 


The next morning, she walked her way to the destined house, passing through the raised brows, warning signs and people calling her crazy but that wasn’t important. The main door of the house was unexpectedly unlatched and opened with a scary creek. Dust slept on every object woven with spider webs and small caught insects. A proud lemon tree stood in the middle of the hall, rising from thin loamy soil. 


It’s quite strange to see a lemon tree grow in the middle of the house despite the harsh challenges it is facing to keep itself alive. I wish humans were like that too. I wished they knew that giving up is not the solution. If we try we can still find happiness in hard moments and keep ourselves going. 


She got distracted with a sudden owl hoot. ‘Dig under the lemon tree’ she remembered. She shaped her hands like claws and started digging until her scratched hands hit a hard stone. She dug the stone out and following the series, another curled paper was wrapped around it. Adele unwrapped the white paper in desperation and found another message waiting patiently for her. 


Squeezed lemons on deep blue cuts.’


Adele frowned and yelled in frustration. “Ugh! Is someone playing a prank or what! I am done playing these games.” She shouted, banging her hands on the wooden floor. “Squeezed lemons on deep blue cuts.” she mimicked in a funny tone. She felt the cold air around her get warm for a fraction of seconds. She took a deep breath and calmed herself. 


Blue cuts...cuts...that means wounds...deep wounds...my deepest wound is Bob’s death! 

But, what does this mean, blue cuts? Blue….uhm….blue...wait!

An anticipated bell rang inside her head. She ran back towards her house, climbed the stairs and started hurtling the clothes in her wardrobe. Finally, she spotted it. A king blue coat with golden threads swirling in the corners. It was Bob’s favourite coat. She moved her hands hastily, checking each pocket and turning it upside down. There it was, a letter signed by Bob. A bead of tear slipped down Adele’s sweaty hot cheeks. She calmed herself down, took a few deep sighs and dived into the letter. 


Dear Adele,

This is really important. My life is in danger. I am running out of time Adele, Help me. It-it is your sister. She has been giving me a lot of threats to kill our child but I got too scared and I sent him to India. She sent one of her agents to get me killed but I dodged that. I don’t think this Tom and Jerry game will last any longer. She warned me not to inform the police or else I- I will see your carcass as a present. I am sorry for everything. I will always love you.

Yours only,

Bob


That night, the constellations found Adele, curled up in the corner of her room, crying her heart out in the shadows of ruth.


July 03, 2021 09:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Kathleen `Woods
23:43 Sep 15, 2021

This had some nice imagery to it, like, it really punched through the grey matter even with somewhat distracted ingestion on my part. Having said that, it had really good flow over e-reader, and great tone for sewing lace.

Reply

Keya J.
11:09 Sep 16, 2021

Thank you so much Kathleen! Your words are quite motivating and prompt a new inspiration in me. Thank you. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Sheehan
08:32 Aug 05, 2021

Hi Keya, This is an exciting story with lots of potential to expand it into a longer piece. Your expansive vocabulary certainly shines through. Many of your descriptions are beautiful - "Its spiralling leaves and golden fruits saw the face of sunlight through the broken roof and rainfall became its only survival", for example. I would say that there is a tendency to over-describe, to the point where I'm not sure what the descriptions mean i.e. "Bob had died two years ago in a plotted car crash but the unknown victim is still running out o...

Reply

Keya J.
09:05 Aug 05, 2021

Hi Mary! Thank you so much. I'll definitely take care of the suggestions in my next stories. In the above line mentioned, I tried to convey that Bob's death in a car crash was actually plotted and the imposter was still unknown. Yes, I guess I made some mistake there. I have tried to implement the proofreading concept in my later stories. Thanks a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annalisa D.
19:39 Aug 03, 2021

I enjoyed your story. Lots of great descriptions and an interesting plot.

Reply

Keya J.
01:47 Aug 04, 2021

Thank You Annalisa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kanika G
10:42 Jul 28, 2021

Hi Keya, I like the twist at the end of the story. It was the sister who was after Bob. Some of your descriptions, especially at the beginning of the story, are good. A good job was done on the story and good use of the prompt. Well done!

Reply

Keya J.
12:38 Jul 28, 2021

I check your first, you check my first...fair huh? 😂😂 But, Thank you so much! It means a lot :)

Reply

Kanika G
12:47 Jul 28, 2021

Yes, I read this story because you've mentioned it as one of your favorites on your profile. :)

Reply

Keya J.
12:52 Jul 28, 2021

Thanks a lot Kanika!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:14 Jul 13, 2021

The story has a well caved plot but there are several plot holes..... PS. Check your editing and proofreading

Reply

Keya J.
10:48 Jul 13, 2021

sure i'll do, thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sudhir Menon
08:29 Jul 12, 2021

A story well-conceived with a build-up of suspense in the revelations leading to the death of the protagonist's husband. However, the story could do with a helping of editing and proof-reading to liven it up a great deal.

Reply

Keya J.
10:49 Jul 12, 2021

Thank you. I'll surely work upon that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:23 Jul 11, 2021

Next book idea: Adele stops crying and goes on a hunt to save her husband and beat her sister to death with a lemon tree. P.s: I love the way you described stuff 'yawning like a ferocious bear' and how you described the tree paints a vivid picture in my head,

Reply

Keya J.
11:35 Jul 11, 2021

Thank you so much! Just a point: Her husband is already mentioned dead but I'll make sure her sister gets beaten up till death with a lemon tree. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.