27 comments

Drama Sad Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

“It’s just you and me again,” I say.


I’d waited until the flock of my relatives had dispersed, and finally, I am alone at his casket. His pale face looks at peace, and it makes him almost unrecognizable. I’m used to the anger, the depression, the mask of whatever vice he could find.


On his lapel, someone, my mother I assume, has issued him a rose. I scoff at the symbol of love. That word, that feeling, had been foreign to Floyd, absent in every corner of his life. No matter how hard I tried to love him, I was nothing but a worthless, unwanted, little sister. My parents tried to assure me that these sibling tiffs were common, but not serious. They assumed we would work it out, that things between us would change with age. All I heard was that they weren’t listening. They didn’t understand the fear that I was living with. And I couldn’t even blame them; they were too busy raising five children to notice that I was living in my own house of horrors, alone in that room with Floyd.


Some of what he did to me was normal, I suppose. The name-calling, the shoving, the punch-buggie bruises. The burning of my Barbie dolls and the scissors to my stuffies were the first escalation of his anger. And to all of it, I’d met him with forgiveness, kindness, love. I was the younger sibling, yes, but even I could see that something was hurting my brother. He wasn’t happy, and every attack on me felt like a pointed finger. He’d lock me in the dark closet, taunting me through a hidden walkie talkie, and I’d wonder what I’d done to make him so mad. I’d cried, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, begging for him to let me go.


At the thought, I wrap my hands around the edges of his casket, feeling the need for that closet door to open. Beneath my fingers is white satin cloth coating the interior of the box he’ll be locked in forever. I notice the pillow beneath his head, and I remember why I had needed my privacy with him.


There’s something for you under your pillow, nine-year-old Floyd had told me.


Stupidly, I’d rushed to my floral pink pillowcase, thinking a miracle had driven my brother to surprise me. My tiny hand had eagerly slid under my pillow and latched onto something hard and rectangular. I remember the excitement, the mystery at the tape recorder I’d uncovered, imagining my dreams of playing a spy game with Floyd had finally come true. But when I’d pressed play, his voice had been so cold, I almost hadn’t recognized it.


I hate you so goddamn much, Margaret. I hate you so much, I hope you die. And if you don’t, I’ll kill you myself. Don’t even think about telling Mom and Dad about this, or I’ll kill them, too.

When the recorder stopped, I nearly threw it across the room, and behind me, Floyd was watching, laughing at my terror.


Don’t think I won’t, cuz I will, he’d said.


And I believed him.


So, two weeks after his thirtieth birthday, when Floyd invited me to his house, I was both curious and cautious. It’d been years since I’d seen him, and our communication as adults had been nothing but short exchanges: Happy birthday. Merry Xmas. A photo of his dogs. A photo of my child. He never even came to my wedding, so why did he want to see me exactly? Something about wanting to catch up; something about wanting to check in on his little sister.


We met for drinks, but when I got there, he’d already had a few, and clearly not just alcohol. He mumbled on about how his life was a mess. He was all alone. Work sucked. He was depressed. He was sorry he’d been such a shit brother.


I nodded. I played the role I’d always played. Water under the bridge. We’ll get together more. You’ll be alright. I didn’t tell him about all the sleep I lost as a kid. I didn’t tell him about the fear that followed me all my life.


It was almost too easy, with all the times he left to go to the bathroom. He had so many drugs in his body at that point, he’d hardly noticed. I drove him home that night, tucked him in his putrid unwashed sheets. The gun under his pillow told me he still had a knack for hiding things there. The AR-15 in his closet told me I’d probably done the world a favor.


“I’m so sorry for your loss.” A hand presses into my lower back. I loosen my clutch on the casket, soften my face. I’m thankful tears come for many emotions, not just sadness. I wipe one away and turn to face the voice beside me. It’s my mother’s oldest friend, a woman who had been like an aunt to us growing up. I offer a weak smile, thanking her.


“Your brother was such a brave person. He fought for so long,” Beatrice says.


I tell her what I know she wants to hear. “I wish I could have done more to help him,” I sniff.


She sobs, pulling me in for a hug. “You were the best sister to him, Maggie. The best,” she squeezes me tighter. When she releases me, there’s a dark stream of mascara down her cheeks. “I’ll leave you two alone now. Take all the time you need.”


I watch Beatrice leave, but really, I am making sure there is no one around. Most people have taken their seats. My mother and my siblings are standing by the doors, waiting to greet anyone who arrives late.


Clutching the tape recorder in my pocket, I lean inside the casket as if I am giving him a final kiss goodbye. Quickly, I slide the recorder beneath his head. 


“There’s something for you under your pillow, brother,” I whisper. 

December 28, 2023 18:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Jessie Laverton
09:01 Jan 03, 2024

This is very sad. It reminds me of Brighton Rock, and the record that Pinkie makes for Rose of his voice. Rose never got to give him one back though, I like this unexpected gesture at the end!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
05:44 Jan 04, 2024

I'm not familiar with a Brighton Rock, but I will check it out! Happy the ending was unexpected though. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uncle Spot
02:19 Jan 02, 2024

Being a big brother to 6 siblings myself, I know that most big brothers don’t properly care for their sibs. But this guy must have been a sociopath rolled up inside a psychopath. A lot to think about in your piece. Well done.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
02:34 Jan 02, 2024

Thanks for reading, John! The tape recorder incident is based on something my older brother actually did to me 🙃 obviously the rest is fiction, but it's these memories that influenced my decision to just have one myself. Appreciate your time, thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alan Harrell
20:32 Dec 30, 2023

Well, I'm freaked. Great work as always AnneMarie.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
21:25 Dec 30, 2023

Thanks for reading, Alan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:39 Dec 30, 2023

What a horrid person, I agree with the MC the world is a better place without Floyd. But, did his sister fall far from that evil tree? She had a good reason, yes, but she did it easy enough, cold and ruthless with fake tears. Did her evil come from nature, or was it it nurtured into being by her early tortures? thanks!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:15 Dec 30, 2023

Thanks for reading Marty! This is definitely an ethical consideration piece. And there's a lot of info the reader doesn't have - if Floyd was really planning something sinister with his AR-15, id be very grateful for Maggie! I'd like to think her actions were a result of nurture (or lack thereof, by her brother). I've read that sibling relationships can be more impactful than parent relationships on how a person turns out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:12 Dec 29, 2023

What a chilling tale. Here is definitely no love lost between these siblings. I wonder what she recorded for her brother? Do two wrongs make a right?

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:42 Dec 30, 2023

I wasn't sure if I needed to tell the readers what she recorded, but I decided it wasn't necessary. It's almost better to let the reader imagine all the possibilities and insert what they might record themselves. I just liked the idea that Maggie could haunt her brother for eternity the way he'd haunted her her whole life. Thanks for reading, Michelle!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
20:59 Dec 30, 2023

Leaving it out added to the ominous tone of this piece and was the perfect choice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:12 Dec 29, 2023

oooo. Interesting. Were we expecting it? Well, as a younger sister myself, yes, I kind of was 🤣 (honestly though, my sister is just annoying, not cruel or malicious), but otherwise I wouldn't have expected it at all. 'I'm thankful tears come for many emotions, not just sadness.'

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:54 Dec 30, 2023

Oh yeah, I'm the youngest of four so some of this is inspired by true events! Brothers can be cruel beings! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
07:08 Dec 29, 2023

Wonderful repeating structures in this: the pillow, the closet and who or what is kept in it. The opening frame delivers Margaret's divorce from her brother and the intersecting monologue and flashback work well to deliver the backstory motivation and the climax. The dictates of flash fiction have sharpened your pen dear and this is told with economy but force. There was just a small edit you might consider: They all think he drank himself into oblivion, a cocktail of pills and whiskey. They all think he killed himself. I think the reader kn...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
18:57 Dec 29, 2023

I've taken your expert advice, sister scribbler, and given those lines a good hacking! Sometimes I forget to trust the reader but I'm getting better at it! Vacation has actually dulled my mind a bit so it's amazing I managed even one story this week! I've been really focusing on writer more flash pieces so I was very happy when the prompts came in last Friday ⚡ it's great to hear you're seeing some sharpness! I cannot wait to eat up your latest story - it's been so long since we've had a fresh one from you! I'll be back here to relish in it ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David McCahan
05:26 Dec 29, 2023

Great story! Gave me a chill.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
08:16 Dec 29, 2023

Thank you, David!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:50 Dec 29, 2023

Beautifully written! I was hooked from the start.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
08:08 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks, Melissa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
23:17 Dec 28, 2023

Oooooo this is sooo good! A little bit of sweet revenge on the cruel big brother. Well done!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
08:08 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks for reading, Hannah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:55 Dec 28, 2023

Subtle.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
07:51 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
19:33 Dec 28, 2023

Oh snap! What a twist of a tortured soul subtly getting her revenge for a life of misery and fear. Getting away with it is especially delicious. Well done!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
07:38 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks for reading JD!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
04:43 Jan 06, 2024

I was expecting the twist partway through - partly due to their ages, partly due to their history, and of course the fact that he was recently dead was a major clue. The private invite to meet with his sister was the last nail in the coffin. But the story works regardless. There's a pervasive belief that families love each other because they're families, but it just doesn't pan out that way in real life, and here we have a case of irreconcilable siblings. Was she justified? Maybe, but probably not - it's still murder. We see where she's ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Glazdon
02:37 Jan 02, 2024

Well done! Great use of the flash prompt and still deliver deep pain.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.