A Day To Be UNGodmother-Like

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a fairy tale about an outsider trying to fit in.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Romance Fantasy

I can remain unbothered to the cries and prayers people set upon my head. I feel their burdening pain of confronting an unapproachable cloud to the point where I keep swimming in a dark ocean that blocks all my hope of a beautiful world. Does it even exist? Will anyone care to restore things to be near perfect as I tried and failed again? It's my job, a job I loathe sometimes, yet I find beauty in it to help good people find strength in themselves. But now, I question the quality I deliver to them. Does any of my effort amount to significant change? Even just little, why is it easier for bad things to ruin my work? What can I do as an outsider who had only observed the chaos, helped from afar, to only have to chase it away again? Is that what I'm really supposed to be doing? 

Dok. Dok. Someone knocks from outside my office chamber. "Come in" I pronounce and I notice a flash of my hallway along with a figure, wearing an ominous black cloak, that covered most of their visage and body. "I am Thom Abridge Clarence and I am here to speak of a proposition in your favor." Huh? What is this person talking about? And why have they not taken away their hood so I can see who they are? "I'm sorry, but do you mind if you remove your hood from your face? I want to know who you are and part of that is seeing your face too." He takes his right hand and brushes the hood over and his face was of a young man, with black curly luscious hair, long eyelashes that fanned his bright blood red irises from time to time, pale complexion with spotted coal freckles, wide thin lips smirking and a strong structured facial features that complimented his sharp nose, brows, and long neck. "I see that you've been having doubts and I'm here to provide with a solution." "What? What do you mean? Wait you're part of the-" "Yes. I'm part of the 12 highly regarded divine councils in charge of regulating the dharmic actions of this universe. One including you, Godmother Faith Linda Blanca, there's been a interesting debate of whether we should carry out with this plan or not?" "What do you mean?" I asked him. "Well, most of the divine council has agreed to permit this to happen with nearly half dissenting the notion of this project." "Do you mind explaining this project and what does it have to do with me?" I assert not wanting to take more time out of my day and push my duties for the weekend- when I usually have minutes to myself. "Well it's called Project LYG, or otherwise known as "let you go" project." Wait a minute "let you go"? What do they mean by letting you go? "It's something we have been thinking for a while as a way for fairy godmothers like yourself who may need to experience Earth and get a better gage of how to resolve problems on Earth." "So why am I chosen?" 

"You've been chosen because we saw the potential in you. You see, we have been noticing your work and for the most part we see you as the most passionate candidate. You have not let tales stay stagnant at 'happily ever after' and you had made sure to revisit each tale and to maintain that level of perfection we don't expect out of anyone. Each time we send you on a quest, you always deliver beyond what's expected and that says something about you." He pushed the contract towards me, "Just read this and think about it. Even if you need sometime to look at this, just let me know once you've made a decision." He sat there watching me as I gazed blankly over the contract. The words blur as my eyes sank in, wanting to retreat to their safe cave with my mind playing a film of useless images about my chores or memories. Yes my life has come to be this noxious cycle where I'm only focused on settling my schedule just for work and I only relax when I have to get some shut eye. Sometimes I don't even eat properly. Despite all of this, I do enjoy being here, working on new tales have always been uplifting, not only to the characters I interact with, but I learn more about myself as I'm immersed with checking on their wellbeing. Each tale I worked on, I gradually became a reliable friend for my clients to trust and confide secrets about the future unhappiness that isn't told in most children stories. I'm happy to just be there, but sometimes I do go back and forth and wonder if it's selfish to live a bit of my life to myself? To do what I wanted for once and go out to enjoy what I'm passionate about... Is it a burden? The contract may have the answers to these desires of mine and I closed my eyes allowing them to drift back behind and before I knew it I blurted, "I'm ready to sign on." 

"Now are you sure Godmother Blanca?" He asks as if he wanted me to go through certain aspects of the contract first, but I say, "Okay just give me an overview of the terms and conditions first." 

"Alright, so for the most part, you have to follow how the divine council has set up orders to protect and serve you best as needed, if not you'll be punished severely. Also, the divine council finds it best that you are not using your magic and other substances denoting to enchantments for the protection of our kind. 

Wait, no magic!? 

"Another thing is to enclose all details of what you've done, including shopping, working, and recording all interactions you've had on Earth." 

This sounds exhausting already. 

"Another thing to add on is that when you mingle with the life on Earth, you have to make sure that you don't form personal attachments and get heavily involved in their affairs. Got it?" 

I nodded silently approving and still debating on whether to sign myself on this mission. Well it sure beats doing paperwork all day long. 

"I'll still sign." 

"Okay, here's the pen. Sign on this line here," he points his finger to the line at the bottom right. 

And I go ahead and draw out my name, sealing tomorrow's journey.  

After Thom left, I tried continuing the rest of my paperwork. 'Just one more'. I kept telling myself to no avail those tired curtains shut and darkness plagued my sight. 

"No!" Screamed a man, so blurry I couldn't tell who he was, but somehow I knew what was going on. "Let me go! I can't continue on like this! I have other things to do!" I yelled as I tried escaping him. "Please!" He coiled my wrist as a snake would to subdue its prey, "I don't want to let you go! Please just not now when we're this far! Please don't leave me like this loving you madly!" Without thinking much further, I look at his blurred face and say, "I'm sorry," before I felt a brush against my shoulder and a familiar blue and gold dust fell upon both of us and before I could turn around to see who, I knew that the consequence was sleep. As I felt my endurance weaken and I'm unable to stand on the ground, whoever did this just watched the both of us fall out of consciousness.  

Jitters creepily marched down my body in a vapid attack with cold droplets mounting on my skin as to hydrate the soil that had been robbed from a heat wave- a heat wave called a nightmare and I believe that it was forecasting my future and the fate of this Project LYG. Even if my mundane life is routine, was the risk of living uncertain for one day worth it? 

The reason why Godmothers and even Godfathers alike don't stay on Earth for too long is because of this power dynamic between humans and the divine. 

It's interesting to notice how humans would like to stay number one in their world and for us divine beings who have access to more dimensions and other areas of unexplored spaces humans cannot manifest, we know more. And that often plagues fear in humans who in return manifest terrible policies and strict regulation of our powers to aid allies rather than supporting Earth beings as one. Despite all of this, from the tales given to me, either the main character is a human, an animal, a plant or even a small cell, I've always been involved when it comes to my clients need of my intervention. And in paradox, humans are the only ones who teach others to stay away from us. It's understandable, yet at the same time alienating every single divine being from belonging to a world they dedicate their lives in supporting doesn't put anyone in a good spot either. 

I guess that's why the divine council didn't want me to have access to my powers while I'm on Earth with the same fear. In that case, what should I do when I meet someone who I know? Should I explain the truth? Or say that I'm unable? I'll cause their unhappiness and that council would give me an earful, a giant fine and end my career as a Godmother. I look back at the contract I've kept aside, duties have already piled up and I'm in no mood to look at them, especially when given the proposition to step out to Earth again, this time as a free unpowered being- the adventure seems more enticing compared to routine paperwork. 

"Where is it?" I look around trying to find where I placed my reading glasses. I'm on Earth, in a Gold and Silver Square, and as of yesterday, once I signed the contract, Thom immediately ushered me to pack up my clothes and necessary stuff to enter into the human world. He also gave me a decent amount of gold, silver and copper coins so that I can look around and shop for what I needed. 

Now, I kept those coins in a pouch in front of my right hip and it leans on my thighs and as I'm still trying to find my reading glasses, I noticed myself feeling lighter for a moment. Like I wasn't carrying anything for a moment.  

I finally found my glasses, nevertheless when I finally looked down and noticed that my pouch is gone.  

"Miss," I hear and surprised to hear a stranger call my name as not even one person came to address me. "Yes?" I turned towards him and noticed this strange sphere that revolved us. His skin was a majestic complexion of the golden sun with his glowing brown eyes reaching me, noticeable freckles dusting his well-suited nose and cheeks, and his cascading brown hair below to his strong hinged jaw, where they all add to his unbelievable beauty. He's considerably a well-built man and for some reason and I couldn't just look away. 

How can a human be so divinely created? And I've seen enough to be able to notice him this well. 

"Is this yours?" He holds up my pouch with the coins that Thom had given me. "Oh, yes that's mine. Thank you for retrieving it for me." I replied.  

"You're not from around here are you?" The kind stranger asked. 

"I've actually been here a few times, but today just happens to be the day I ran into a thief." He laughed and then stated "If I had seen a face like yours here, I don't think I would ever forget you." Who does this man think he is?  

"It's nice meeting you sir. Thank you-" 

"Well not so fast Miss...?" 

"Just call me Faith," I said taking from Thom and although it's said that I can't form an attachment I believe it's worth exploring what Earth has to offer. 

"Okay Faith. I'm Ray Tiller and today I'll be your honorary guide to showing you around the town of Aracho." I followed him but I was worried with what Thom will see. 

It turns out that Ray Tiller guides tourists away from the traps in Aracho. He showed me around and taught me its history. I have never felt the need to be more connected to someone like him and the sun shortens its reach, I couldn't stop myself from leaving as I wanted to stay longer. 

It's obvious that this wish of mine can't live. 

"It's been long since I've brought anyone to enjoy parts of this lovely town. Thank you." 

"Oh please, I should be thanking you, since you've accompanied me. And you've taught me a lot about this beautiful town. So thank you." When he didn't face me, I looked into his eyes and notice how they gleam in the moonlight. 

There was this sort of attraction, I've seen others have, but never yet experienced for myself. But now that I'm given the spotlight, to act the way a main character can, I know that I cannot do this. Especially not to him. 

Once he turned my way, I immediately brushed my neck and looked down in the opposite direction, where the uneven set cobblestones added rhythm to our steps. As though, this was the perfect playground to dance in.

"Faith, you never told me you could dance?" He blurted and I hear the clouds rumble in excitement- guess rain will be dropping soon. 

"Well.." And then I dragged him in to dance with me, "Come on just this once," and I know that he couldn't resist my offer so reluctantly agreed. He's awkwardly waltzing, at times stepping on my foot, and for that he'll whisper a thousand sorries and would try to back away. Still, I didn't allow him to leave from my embrace as Ray brought me a different type of joy. It's unlike watching other people that I've made happy and feeling appreciative of what I could do, this was due to this life being my own happiness that I could fulfill. Even if it's just a day, this moment will forever be the most enchanting. 

He allowed me to be vulnerable, someone who wasn't powerful and didn't just use me because I had magic. He saw who I was beyond that and supported me when I felt lost in this strange world. 

Then he leaned closer, his eyes gliding down from mine to my lips, and I knew he was hinting at me to give him one kiss... that was all it took for me to not think about the consequences and just allow Ray to use his contagious charms to infect me with romance. 

I was slowly leaning on him, more and more, hoping that Thom will just thwart away... 

But it was the opposite. Thom was right there observing us this whole time. 

"Well, I thought right. It was a bad idea to leave you alone with him." 

"Who is this guy?" Ray asked me and before I could answer, Thom puts his arms around my shoulder, "Babe, why don't we just go," he says aloud to make sure that Ray could clearly hear him, and for once in my life I wasn't having it. "Let go of me Thom," I whispered in his ear, "I'll say one thing to him and walk with you," he was hesitant and then he nodded in frustration. 

I went over to Ray, who sulked over and upset, but I gently patted his shoulder and hugged him, "Thank you for spending time with me, even if it's just for one day. I'm sorry that I can't stay any longer. I'll have to go."  

He didn't look back at me and I unwrapped my arms from his torso, and continued to slowly move towards Thom who wanted me to hurry up. 

As soon as I came within arms reach, Thom immediately pulled me in and used a transportation spell to bring us back to our realm, and once he did that, I only caught a glimpse of Ray watching me shine under a bright eclipse, before vanishing and letting the dust fall. 

I now understood what the dream I had meant. Even if it were just for one day that I was happy with Ray Tiller, I was happy enough to go on. Both of our lives continued and I did more paperwork and was forever banned from going on Earth. 

Thom had tried courting me, but he could never be Ray. How I miss him. 

One day, Thom decided to surprise me with a date and although I wasn't in the mood to go out, he insisted me to come along, to which I did. Wearing an off-shoulder blue summer dress patterned with red, pink and white roses, and I just waited impatiently for Thom to hurry up. 

But I didn't see Thom there and to my wonder under the heavenly light, stood a familiar tour guide who gave me my first precious kiss- Ray Tiller.  

I was anxious, worried to approach him after all along I hide many things about myself despite being real to him, I couldn't disclose the truth about my identity and I was selfish from hiding this from him. 

But he still ran towards me and hugged me tightly. "I thought I wouldn't be able to see you again." He cried on my shoulder and I caved in his stronghold crying, "I didn't expect to see you again." 

"HMMH!" Thom coughed up and we both broke our hug, drying out our tears, and I went over to him, "Thom how can I ever repay you?" 

"You can never Faith," he nervously chuckled, "Just promise me to be happy." 

"I will," I end.  

April 10, 2021 00:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.