8 comments

Fantasy Horror Thriller

This story contains sensitive content

WARNING: Disturbing content for sensitive readers.


* * *


“Well, hello, kitty. Are you looking for a forever home? I’m looking for a forever friend.  Would you like to come home with me?”


It was Elizabeth’s 10th birthday and she was thrilled that her present this year was to pick out her own pet. Her mother, Rose, had helped her go through a list of possibilities, from puppies and birds to fish and kittens.  It was fun to explore the pros and cons of each and excitedly go over them while indulging in candles and marble cake with chocolate frosting. And this was for breakfast. After all, Rose had said, It’s just the two of us here and it’s a special two-digit birthday day. Let’s eat cake!  


Rose was so much more than Lizzie’s mom. Ever since her dad had left, abandoned them when little Lizzie was just two years old, Rose had taken on the role of parent, teacher, playmate, confidante, cheerleader and, most fun of all for them both, BFF. She made the decisions and she would see to it that Lizzie experienced equal parts joy and structure in her childhood.


They lived in a two bedroom condominium that had just recently altered their No Pets rule to allow one pet per household, provided that pet weighed no more than 25 pounds. How the weight limit was to be enforced, they had no idea. Rose had Lizzie in stitches as she mused that perhaps Frank, the building manager, would knock on their door one day with a portable scale. 26.5 pounds!? Out with you! 


Rose worked from home as a medical transcriptionist and so would welcome having company during the day, and she also felt that Lizzie was ready to take on the responsibility of caring for something other than her stuffed animals and her mom. The one caveat she had was that they look for a rescue.


Following breakfast, Lizzie having made her choice, they drove to Sunny Springs Sanctuary where stray as well as feral kittens and cats were fostered and put up for adoption. Lizzie had seen ads in the local paper entitled “Feline, Be Mine” with picture and description of the sanctuary’s latest candidate.  She could barely contain herself as they pulled into the Sunny Springs parking lot, the sugary breakfast fueling her excitement.


They entered the building and, while Rose spoke with one of the volunteers at the front desk, Lizzie, hearing cat sounds and smelling cat smells, stood on her tippy-toes to sneak a peek through a window in the door that led to the roomful of hopefuls. There were endless rows of cages. I wonder where you are, she thought, as random cat paws would poke out through the bars. There were several youngsters, accompanied by a grown-up or two, who giggled with delight as they inspected the vast array of kittens and cats.


Once inside, Rose whispered in Lizzie’s ear, “You know, they say that you should let your pet choose you, and not the other way around.”


Lizzie looked at her mom.


“But how will I know?”


Rose smiled. “You’ll just know.”


Lizzie meandered down the row, peering into each cage in turn.  There were cats of all ages, size and color. Some long haired, some short.  Lizzie noticed that they seemed to be checking her out, just as she was them. She was intrigued by the ones who paid her little mind. Playing hard to get, eh? Oh, but the smaller ones that clamored for her attention or mewed relentlessly as she passed, she wanted them all! How would she ever pick just one?


That’s when the unexpected happened. At first, Lizzie thought this cage was vacant. Then, surprisingly, a pair of eyes appeared, green and luminous. They fixed on her. Lizzie was completely smitten by the beauty of those eyes that wouldn’t stray from hers. Green was her favorite color, but there was more to it than that.  The search was over.


When the volunteer was going over some of the paperwork with Rose to make the adoption official, Lizzie was sitting on a bench nearby, her tiny hand on the cat carrier beside her. She appeared to be in deep conversation with her new friend, enchanted.


“I’m so glad you were able to find a match for your daughter. We’ve never seen Blackie take to anyone like that. Just the fact he agreed to get into the carrier without a fuss is pretty miraculous. Even the most agreeable ones don’t like that part.  I hope you guys have a long life together. Just be sure to get him fixed within two weeks. And thank you for saving a life.”


Rose beamed at Lizzie. “Thank you for all you do here. You’ve made a little girl’s birthday wish come true.”


* * *


“So, have you thought of a name for your pal?”


“I didn’t have to. He told me his name.”


“He did? And what is it?”


“Well, they called him Blackie but his real name is Inky. He didn’t like it when they called him Blackie.”


Rose took a moment to digest what her daughter had just said. How did she know they called him Blackie? She must have overheard them when they were checking out.


“Inky, eh? And what are your thoughts on the matter?”


“Inky knows best.”


* * *


That first day with Inky, Rose’s heart swelled with pride for her daughter and how she had developed into such a caring, loving being. She had created the perfect setting for her new friend. The litter box was set up in the bathroom and Inky had already discovered it and used it. That's a relief, thought Rose, smiling. Pardon the pun.


Lizzie seemed able to anticipate Inky’s needs in advance.

Out of nowhere, she’d say, “Inky needs his dinner. He’s hungry.”


“Inky’s so tired. Could we please turn the music down? He needs to sleep,”


“Could I please help with the dishes later? Inky really wants to play!”


Rose gave into these requests after first questioning their validity. But then she could see that Inky WAS hungry. Inky WAS tired. Look at the fun they’re having. Hmm.


When it came time for sleep, Rose sat on the edge of Lizzie’s bed. This was the time of day they both most looked forward to.


“Well, Dizzy Ms. Lizzie, how does it feel to be part of the double-digit club?”


Lizzie spread her arms wide, looked up at the ceiling and exclaimed, “Awesome!”


“Are you okay that we didn’t have a giant party this year? We could probably . . .”


“Are you kidding? I wouldn’t trade Inky for anything in the whole world.”


Rose looked over at the rocking chair in the corner, the one where she had rocked her baby girl to sleep more times than she could remember. Where did those days go? Inky had apparently claimed the chair as his throne and was looking quite majestic sitting there, his intense green eyes fixed on them.


“Inky’s eyes are incredible, aren’t they?”


“They were what told me he wanted me.”


Rose looked over again and saw that the cat’s eyes were still fixed upon them. She suppressed a shudder. Where’d that come from?


Lizzie yawned.


“What say, angel bug, tired?”


Lizzie folded her arms over her head, eyes closed, and nodded.


“Thanks for the best birthday day ever, Mom.”


Barely audible, but Rose heard.


“Until the morning light then, sweet girl. All my love.”


“All mine back.”


Rose watched as her daughter rolled over, wrapping her arms around her pillow in a sleepy-time-hug, and was still.  She lingered for a minute, savoring this special moment of a very special day.


As she leaned over to the nightstand and turned the lamp off, the hallway night light cast blue shadow throughout the room. She stood to leave. Inky was difficult to make out, being even darker than shadow. She knelt to pet him, but he’d slipped away before she could. The cat padded out of the room, looking back at her with what she’d imagined was unchecked distain. For a full minute, she didn’t move.


She frowned, looking once more at her sleeping child.


* * *


The next morning, Rose was up early. She hadn’t slept nearly long enough but preferred to avoid any more of the ridiculous dreams she’d endured the night before. She hadn’t retained any of the detail, just the cloud of dread that continued to hover over her, even after her first cup of coffee.


 She looked across the kitchen at the water and kibble she’d set out. Still not touched. She glanced at the clock. Almost time to get Lizzie up for school.


She poured herself a second cup and took a good sip. She tried to will the dark cloud away with logic. Everything’s good. Everything’s great. Yesterday was such a huge success, why can’t you feel it? Dreams are just that. Dreams. Who’s the mom here? I am!  C'mon then, let’s get this day going.


As Rose approached Lizzie’s bedroom door, she tried to focus on what she’d always recognized as her daughter’s sleeping form, usually in a tangle of sheets and blankets. This morning, her bed appeared neat and unruffled, as if Lizzie hadn’t moved all night. There was a black mound where her head should be. Panic set in as she hastened to her daughter’s side.


“Lizzie! Lizzie, wake up!”


The black mound was Inky. He was suffocating her!


“Get OFF her!”


She grabbed the cat with both hands and tossed it aside, but not before receiving a angry swat and a growl.


“Mom, what are you doing?”


“That cat was on your head! I didn’t think you were breathing!”


Lizzie threw back the covers and ran to Inky, who was already sitting up and licking a paw. She gathered the cat in her arms and looked back at Rose.


“Mom, you’re bleeding!”


“Oh.”


Blood was dripping from Rose’s forearm. She gathered the hem of her robe and wrapped it around the wound.


“I’ll be right back. Honey, are you sure you’re all right?”


“Of course I am! I think you should be asking Inky if he’s all right. I can’t believe you did that!”


Rose put her hand over her eyes for a second. 


“All right. Why don’t you get ready for school. I’ll get breakfast ready.”


As she left her daughter’s room, she heard Lizzie’s soothing voice.


“There, there. She didn’t mean to hurt you. Are you okay? Just your pride, huh? Don’t you worry. I won’t let anyone harm you ever again.”


The cat’s purr was so loud, Rose hurried away, bristling at the sound.


* * *       


It was a close call whether she needed stitches.  Trouble was, she had a deadline to meet and didn’t have time for the walk-in clinic. So, after dropping Lizzie off at school, she went directly home. She’d washed her arm thoroughly and now she followed up with antiseptic and a tight gauze wrap. She’d keep an eye on it and only pursue it if it got worse.


She sat at her desk, turned on her computer and prepared to pull up her job for that day. Inky hadn’t approached her all morning and she was fine with that. She felt distinctly uneasy when he was around. It wasn't rational, she knew that.  She’d overreacted seeing the cat in Lizzie’s bed, on her head, no less; at least she'd thought. But was she wrong? She was just tired. Let it pass.


She put in her earphones and got to work. She was fully immersed twenty minutes into the job when there was a crash that made her jump.


“What was that?”


She went to the living room and looked around. It didn’t take long for her to see what had happened. Her favorite picture lay face down on the floor, surrounded by shards of glass. 


“Are you kidding me!”


She gingerly lifted what was left of the frame and saw that the glass had partially shattered. It was a picture of the two of them taken roughly a year ago at the beach on a perfect summer day. They were perched on either side of a sand sculpture. It was a castle with the door in the shape of a heart. The windows were also hearts, as were the tiles on the turrets. They were both giddy over their creation.  They held hands over the castle of hearts and their smiles beamed brighter than the sun.


Rose felt a tear roll down her cheek when she heard crunching coming from the kitchen. She placed the picture carefully on the coffee table, only then noticing that it was her side of the picture that was broken, while Lizzie’s side was fully intact. She stood staring at the glass as a paralyzing fear coursed through her mind and body.


She slowly turned and forced herself to walk toward the kitchen. As she carefully peered in, there was Inky, hunkered over the kibble. He turned his head around and fixed her with those green orbs in his head.  He suddenly bared his teeth, hissing maniacally, hair standing on end. Rose jumped back, prepared to run. The cat then settled and returned to his meal.


She suddenly remembered, cats can be aggressive and territorial if they’re fully sexed. Well, we can fix that! She went back to her computer. The Sanctuary had given her a list of several reputable vets. As her mind focused, her terror slowly dissipated and she began to think more clearly.


Let’s see now. Black cat, broken glass, poor night’s sleep. What does it all add up to? Rosey’s not losing it, after all. It all makes sense if you really think about it. Well, some sense.


Once she had chosen a veterinarian, she got out her calendar and dialed the number.  It rang several times before she could hear the beep that signaled that a recorded message was about to play. But she'd heard something else as well, something dripping. Her arm felt warm and it was then she saw the blood at her feet. She felt fresh oozing from the gauze that was now saturated with it. Huge droplets continued to stain the carpet as it trickled down her arm.


“Oh, my God!”  


She dropped the phone, ran to the bathroom to grab a towel. She felt light-headed and considered calling 911. No time, she thought, and was out the door.


The cat sat in the kitchen doorway, green eyes flashing, licking his chops.


 * * *


Twenty stitches later, Rose was back home carefully cleaning up the glass from the broken picture. When she was done, she’d have to call her employer and explain that she’d had an accident. She had called Lizzie’s school and asked that she take the bus home; everything was fine, she just wouldn’t be able to pick her up today. Finally, Rose had the carpet soaking and covered with a towel. She’d have to rent a steam cleaner in the morning and hope she could get the blood out. 


When she had finished these immediate tasks, she had a short period of time before Lizzie would be home. She laid down on the couch and closed her eyes.


Her mind had quieted and she welcomed the fatigue that washed over her. She drifted peacefully and luxuriated in the warm, gentle stream that carried her. She felt safe, as in a tender embrace. She was finally going home. She sensed open arms waiting for her, beckoning. It was time for her to just let go.


“Mom? Mom! Wake up! Why won’t you wake up!”


Rose opened her eyes slowly. She felt drugged. She forced herself awake.


“I just fell asleep, Honey. It's all right.”


She felt something odd . . . she put her hand to her mouth. As she pulled it away, she saw that it was hair.  Black cat hair.


* * *


Once Lizzie was tucked into bed, sleeping soundly, Rose sat in her bedroom and cemented a plan.  She knew that if she acted on first impulse, locking the cat out or trying to rid their home of him forcefully, that would be fruitless, and most likely result in more harm.


She went to the doorway of Lizzie’s bedroom and waited for her eyes to adjust. The cat this time was curled at her feet. He lifted his gaze to meet hers and they stared at one another for an indefinite amount of time.


Who are you?


Rose filled her mind with the question. And waited. It wasn’t long before she heard a kind of static that eventually turned into voices, then words that she could decipher.


Incubus. I am the daemon.


Of course. Only a child would transform the name of a devil into something so sweetly innocent.  Hang on, Rose. Don’t let yourself get caught up. There will be traps.


What do you want?


The demon cat never blinked.


Not want. Have.


Rose set her mouth in a steady line.


She is not yours to have.


She is mine, more than she was ever yours.


Take me.


The demon’s eyes narrowed.


I am not the fool.


No. I am the fool. Let me pay the price.


Incubus was amused; Rose could sense it.


Let her go. Take me instead.


You are not the lamb she is.


Rose could barely hang on, but somehow she did.


Didn’t you try to take me before? 


Can a cat scoff? A demon can.


Only to rid us of you. Not to keep.


Rose braced herself.


I can’t let you take her. I won't.


You already have.


Rose thought, it’s a trick.


It is not.


Rose’s eyes grew large. She rushed to her daughter’s side. She looked on in horror as she could see that Lizzie's body was empty. She was gone.


Don’t be sad, Mom. I’m here. 


Rose was bent in agony, her face twisted. She felt pain worse than anything she could have imagined. Her mouth formed a silent scream as her fists pressed against the sides of her face.


I won’t leave you, Mom,


Rose sank to her knees, blind with grief. She tried to breathe, to focus.


But where are you, Lizzie? Where are you?


Inky's hungry, Mom. He wants his dinner.


Incubus licked a paw. He glanced over at Rose, just once, and then went on with his preening.


THE END

October 24, 2022 20:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Susan Catucci
20:59 Nov 05, 2022

Thank you so much for your comment! It's a genre I really love and have respect for when it's done well. I can't say how glad I am to have found Reedsy - great community and so much talent! It's a pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
15:23 Nov 05, 2022

Great read! The horror ramped up gradually but continually. As a horror story, it ranks up there with the best this prompt had to offer. Spare, tight, and engaging. Nicely done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Catucci
18:34 Nov 03, 2022

Your comment means a lot - it was really fun to write so I'm especially glad you found it fun to read. Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lacey Hill
18:27 Nov 03, 2022

Wow, that was a fun read!!!! I love that I couldn’t tell that it was going to take a turn from being a possibly fun read with a talking cat to a sinister one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Catucci
12:33 Nov 02, 2022

Ah, thank you for those observations. I admit I cut a corner with Rose's resolve to confront the demon. I considered a paragraph of research on her part but, as I was approaching the word limit, I focused more on the wrap-up and how the exchange would go. I've considered taking the story and developing it more into a novella - it may prove more effective. I really appreciate your input!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
02:09 Nov 02, 2022

I enjoyed this. There's a very slow development to the horror here. It's less a sudden fright, and more an persistent, rising dread. This works wonders for tension. I also like that in the beginning, everything can be explained away by coincidence, so Rose doesn't really know why she feels something is off - she just does. Not knowing is a great part of horror. I like the twist with it being a demon cat, but one thing that seemed rather sudden was how she knew how to communicate with it, and why she wasn't particularly afraid. It actually ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Catucci
18:25 Oct 27, 2022

Thank you - you made my day! I'm so pleased that I could create the kind of interest that would hold a reader until the end. This was my first foray into horror (I wrote One Hell of a Poker Night, but that was a comedy). This was/is really fun!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Brenda Wilson
17:23 Oct 27, 2022

When I was 10 I got a pet dog and it was the best present ever. I sure am glad it didn't turn out like this at! XD I was not expecting where the story went and was definitely surprised. I couldn't stop reading until I knew what was going to happen!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.