44 comments

Romance Fiction Happy

Dolores sealed the last box of her mother's memorabilia and shoved it into the corner of the bedroom. All the furniture had been sold off weeks earlier. Now, at last, mother's knick-knacks, photos, hymnals, holy cards, and sets of rosary beads were neatly buried in the boxes. Packing up these religious treasures made Dolores feel guilty, but Delilah, her rebellious alter-ego didn’t.


"Just do it!" Delilah coaxed. "There's no point keeping this stuff. My plans for the future don't include reminders of the past. They're good for nothing more than motivation to get moving and start living. I’ve been dead too long!" 


Delilah was right. Dolores' time had come. Mama hadn't let her do anything she wanted, not because she was mean but because Mama was scared. Mama had sheltered her, protected her. No one, especially a man, was going to do to Dolores what that womanizer, Clive, had done to her. Clive had said all the right words way back when her head was full of romantic ideas of finding a good, handsome man to marry. He'd spun her naive Catholic girl's head around with his fancy talk. She’d eaten it up like communion at Sunday mass. She'd believed Clive would make her whole, but all Clive had done was make her pregnant. Then he'd run off, leaving her with Dolores. Mama vowed to never let that happen to Dolores.


So, like a pair of nuns, Dolores and her mother, together with her bible-quoting parents had lived in the little house on Church St. Dolores’ grandparents had kindly looked after mama and her bastard grandchild; that was the godly thing to do. With her eyes forever downcast and apologetic, Dolores' mother had worked in their grocery store at the front of the house, her baby close by at all times. She never looked directly at any of the male customers who came into the store, and whenever possible, she busied herself in the stockroom. It was easier to avoid temptation than to face it. And as Dolores grew, she became the unwilling victim of her mother's fear and pain.


"No, Dolores. You cannot go to Linda’s birthday party if boys are attending. Boys become men with only one thing in mind when it comes to women. They will only hurt you. Mama will not allow you to be hurt by men. You'll thank me one day. The answer is no."


So Dolores watched her youth slip away. The mirror image of her mother, she barely looked at boys but forever wondered what it was like to be with a boy. Her school friends giggled and laughed and shared secrets she didn't understand. She eavesdropped as they talked about Danny giving Sherri goosebumps when he kissed her neck in the car at the drive-in. She blushed when Donna confided she'd felt Tony's "weapon" pushing hard against her during a slow dance in the school gym. The nuns would walk around with rulers checking the dancers were keeping their lower regions 12 inches apart.


As Dolores eavesdropped, wondering what that weapon was that boys had, the other girls spotted her listening, put a hand over their mouths, whispered, and giggled even more at "Dolores the Dullard". And Dolores slunk away, eyes downcast and embarrassed by her unsatisfied curiosity.


But Dolores’ other side, Delilah, was angry. She wanted to be part of her classmates’ lives, wanted to understand the strange urges in her own body when she stole a glance at a boy. And as Dolores’ body matured, those unsatisfied urges grew stronger. With every month, they became an even larger source of guilt. She’d try to assuage that guilt at night by saying “Hail Marys” until she fell asleep. Could that invisible God really read all her thoughts? She prayed it wasn’t true.


"No more guilt!" Dolores told herself now as she stood up and looked around at the boxes. "I have a right to enjoy my life and not feel guilty about natural urges. Mama, I love you, but you shouldn't have done that to me. I'm not going to live like a nun any longer!”


The travel agent had been excited for her. "Your first cruise! Oh, you're going to love it. So much to see when the ship pulls into each port. And the food on board? Superb. Don't worry if you eat too much. Indulge yourself. That's what a cruise is for: self-indulgence. You've earned that, haven't you?"


Oh yes, a smiling Dolores agreed. She'd earned this alright. The agent didn't need to know that at fifty years of age, the furthest Dolores had ever traveled was on the school bus to visit local conservation areas or historical settlements. She didn't need to know that after graduation, when classmates were getting married, Dolores had continued to look after her sickly grandparents' every need. They’d died peacefully believing their bastard granddaughter had atoned for her mother's sin by being such a good girl. 


But that impatient Delilah was sick to death of being a good girl! She was a volcano of erupting emotions held in check for way too long. After her mother died, Dolores bought every magazine she could to catch up on life in the world outside the home in which she'd grown up. She read about sex, drugs, and mayhem. She spent hours on the internet researching all sorts of "forbidden" topics. She wanted to know about everything: the good, the bad, the ugly, and the different. She even downloaded a copy of "Fifty Shades of Gray". She didn’t need or want to go quite that far, but rebel against years of family censorship she most certainly would! As Liza Minelli had sung in that delightful musical, Dolores would put down the knitting and the broom and come to the “Cabaret”. 


“Yes, dammit!" she thought. “If I'm offered wine at that cabaret, I'll drink it. If I'm asked to dance, I'll rhumba! And if a man wants to take me to bed, I'll help him undress me, just like they do in the movies." 


She remembered her Mama blushing as she told Dolores, "Men jump at the chance to bed a virgin. They all want to be the first to pluck the cherry even if they've already had a handful." 


"Well, maybe I'm not prime pickings at my age," mused Dolores, "but perhaps there's still a gentleman out there who would appreciate me for my virginity. And if that man comes along, maybe he'll rid me of the lonely, aching emptiness, that dead feeling. Oh yes, Liza, am I ever ready to come to the cabaret.”


 ***


Dolores stood on the observation deck waiting for the boarding call. Her eyes traveled up and down the magnificent "Disney Dream" at rest in the dock. She blinked. No, she wasn't dreaming. No photos came close to capturing its size. 'You have to see it to believe it' she thought.


Delilah had argued with her about going on a cruise geared toward children. How would Dolores find a dashing, exciting man on a kid's ship? But Dolores had spent years watching cartoons with her mother and the child in her wanted to experience the magic and wonder children feel when their imaginations are free to run wild. Besides, Disney cruises were more expensive: there were more suitable ships for men who just wanted to prey on wealthy older women. She'd read all about those creeps who somehow convinced gullible females to open their bank accounts after they opened their legs. Yes, the Disney Dream was the perfect choice.


Dolores' colorful summer dress billowed about her in the wind. She'd invested in a new wardrobe, nothing too extravagant, but nothing as dowdy as what she'd worn in her 'previous life'. Somehow she'd resisted Delilah's voice urging her to pick more sensuous clothing. Delilah kept reminding her that at least her body hadn't yet turned dumpy, and never having had a child, her tummy was still reasonably flat. But Dolores silenced Delilah by insisting she was looking for a possible husband, not a gigolo. 


"Pretty amazing, isn't it?" 


The male voice startled her. Her heart started to race. Dolores turned to look at the speaker on her right. He was tall, slender, not killer handsome, but his soft, sad eyes were hypnotic. There were touches of grey in his dark hair and around the temples. Delilah came awake; she sent a rush of color to Dolores' cheeks.


 "Yes, yes it is," she replied, a little breathless.


"Your first cruise?" he asked, smiling at her, his eyes twinkling in the bright sunlight. Was her sheltered past that obvious? Surely not. She brushed aside the thought. Lots of people had never been on a cruise. She wasn't the only one. 


“Yes," she replied with a confidence she hoped hid her unworldliness. "But it won't be my last. What about you?"


"My first time too," he replied, extending his hand in greeting. "I'm James. And you are?"


"Delilah!" She blurted without thinking. She tingled as she shook James' hand. She didn't want to let it go, her years of need already responding physically and emotionally to his touch. 


"Nice to meet you, Delilah. Delilah eh? As in Samson and Delilah, or as in that Tom Jones song about Delilah? Should I be on the alert?"


For a second, Dolores was lost for words. The sadness in his eyes made her hesitate. What kind of Delilah did he want her to be? She avoided the question. "I was told meeting people is one of the best parts of cruising. I wonder if that's true?" 


James smiled at her, somehow understanding her avoidance. "That's one of the main reasons I'm taking this cruise and If you'll forgive me for saying so, I look forward to learning more about the lovely Delilah over the next few days?"


Dolores blushed. Was he flirting with her? Before she could reply, their conversation was interrupted by the boarding call. James put his hand ever so lightly on the small of her back as they turned to walk toward the turnstile. "After you," he said. 


Dolores shuddered. Inside her, Delilah giggled. As they edged into the line-up, she caught James looking at her again. He had called her lovely. Was she? Dolores had never thought of herself as anything but plain, but she did feel quite lovely right now. What else was she? Would James help her find out?


As the white-suited, smiling crew members welcomed Dolores aboard, she smiled happily at Mickey Mouse at the turnstile. Her cabaret was about to begin.


 ***


“May I escort you to your room Delilah?" James asked politely as they exited Palo after a sumptuous dinner. It was the fifth night of the cruise. James had been her constant partner in all the activities. They had taken in the wonderful musicals, strolled the decks together, and shared breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Tonight, James had convinced her to try out the elite Palo restaurant instead of the usual three included on the cruise. 


"One of the crew told me that you haven't lived till you've dined at Palo. It costs a bit more but it's well worth it," he'd coaxed. He didn't need to coax: by now, Dolores was up for anything James suggested.


"I'd like that," Dolores had replied, trying to still her rapidly beating heart.


Dolores was basking in the glow of James' constant attention and companionship, along with the wine she'd enjoyed at the sumptuous dinner. This is what she had read about in those romance novels. This was how it was supposed to happen, not like her mother had forever cautioned. James was a true gentleman, the kind of man she'd dreamed about meeting. He pulled out her chair at the dinner table, opened doors for her, and listened without interrupting as she spoke. Dolores felt so comfortable with him. And each night, after he'd walk her to her cabin, she'd fall asleep reliving the emotions of the heroines in those romance novels, of being swept off her feet, of trembling at his touch and succumbing to his charms. Like those heroines, Dolores was terrified but Delilah was alive with anticipation. Delilah couldn't wait for that special moment to happen and never thought beyond it, but Dolores did. Could she, would she wake up to find James gone, just as her mother had? 


Now, for the first time, James gently took the key card from her hand as she removed it from her purse.


"Allow me."


It was time. Delilah allowed. Dolores agreed. Swallowing her fears, Dolores entered her cabin and James followed.


***


James glanced back at the sleeping woman for a few seconds as he opened the cabin door. She looked lovely, relaxed, happy. Her long, grey-flecked auburn hair now splayed across the pillow, had smelled of jasmine as he'd held her gently in his arms. She had cried, laughed, shuddered, and sobbed as her body let go of years of pent-up need. And as they held each other afterward, she'd trusted him with the story of her convent-like past. No wonder over the past few days, he'd sensed a child in her that had never quite matured, a woman-child mesmerized by the Cinderellas and Tinkerbells with whom she posed for photos; a woman-child who clapped her hands in sheer delight during live shipboard musicals; a woman-child who wandered happily through the market stalls in Nassau, picking up trinkets and laughing joyously when melting ice-cream dribbled down her chin. Dolores had been reborn.


What Dolores didn’t seem to realize, but James did, was that they hadn’t just met for the first time on this Disney Dream cruise. She was "Dolores the Dullard", the one her classmates had always giggled about. James remembered her from high school. He'd been a senior when she was a junior. He'd often noticed her hiding behind her hair in the hallways. She was always alone, rarely smiled, and seemed afraid to look at anyone. Once, when the wind had blown off her scarf, she dropped her books as she ran after it. Riveted, he watched her long hair fly around her face. When she ran back to pick up her books, he’d helped her but she couldn't bring her eyes to meet his. Blushing, she'd thanked him hurriedly, then run off like a frightened rabbit, but not before he'd noticed how incredibly pretty she was. His heart had skipped a beat. She was so lovely, so "untainted", so unlike all the many vacuous girls in the school.


He had married one of those…Lillian…his biggest mistake. James came from money, knew how to make more, and Lillian liked that. But she didn’t like him. After 10 miserable years together, Lillian pulled the plug:


"We're done!" She had screamed at him. "This marriage is over. We have nothing in common, no children, and nothing to keep us together. This marriage is a sham. So let's just call it quits, okay?" 


And they had. He had given her a generous settlement; she had given him his freedom. Now, this cruise was his chance to start living again, and he’d found Dolores, no longer "Dolores the Dullard" but Dolores the Delightful, Dolores the Desirable. The Dolores of his dreams.


James was curious about only one thing: why had Dolores chosen to introduce herself as Delilah? Dolores suited her so well: it spoke of the pain she had shared after their intimacy. Before last night, her mild flirting had been unsure. He was never quite positive she wanted anything more than his company. That had made him hesitant to suggest he walk her to her room. He wouldn't have been surprised if she had declined. But she hadn't. Nor had she recognized him even after such unexpected intimacy. Would she ever?


Back in his own cabin, James showered and took his blood pressure pills. He opened his cabin door, walked up to the main deck, leaned against the rail, and breathed in the fresh sea air almost greedily. He watched the sun rising on the horizon and thought how glorious his world felt now without Lillian’s criticism and judgment calls. So peaceful, with only the hum of the ship's motors somewhere far below and the gentle wash of the waves as the ship cut through the water. Maybe now, if Dolores would have him, he wouldn’t even need pills anymore.


James smelled jasmine and felt Dolores’ arms circle his waist from behind. He turned and kissed her forehead. Giggling like a schoolgirl, she said,


“James, I feel so alive! Like I’ve been reborn, like this is the beginning of a whole new chapter in my life!”


“Perhaps it is,” James replied, “and if you’ll let me, I’d love to write that chapter with you.”


For a second, Dolores looked reflective. Had he overstepped? Suddenly, her eyes brightened. She smiled.


“James, have we met before, maybe in another life? I feel like I know you from somewhere…”


“You do, Dolores.”


Dolores looked at him quizzically: “James, did you just call me Dolores? Why?”


“I did. But before I tell you why, let me ask you again. Will you let me write that next chapter with you Dolores?”


Dolores blushed. “I’d like that.


James hugged Dolores to him, just as the Disney Dream horn began sounding out “It’s a small, small world”. 


“Then, one last question, my sweet: is the woman I’m falling in love with Dolores or Delilah?”


With an impish glint in her eyes, Dolores-Delilah replied: “Both”!



March 27, 2023 23:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

E. B. Bullet
16:15 Apr 05, 2023

Aaaaaahhhhh, Viga you really had me. I was sucking up this story, rooting for Dolores and being captivated by her inner journey, all the way UNTIL the narrative switch to James... I will say that I loved this very much. There was no villain, just good intentions and pain, and terrible ways of coping with awful hands dealt. Giving Dolores a win, after so many years of penting up everything that made her HER, is extremely satisfying to read. It's nice to see her breathe with new life at such an age. HOWEVER, I just c a n t look past the subt...

Reply

Viga Boland
19:15 Apr 05, 2023

Hi E.B Thanks for putting a bullet into James LOL. I must say that was most unexpected but just goes to prove how differently we all respond, not just to fictional characters but to people in general, and possibly, how our own life experiences affect our responses. In my mind, as the “creator”, there was never anything creepy about James. He was just an older guy who had suffered through a rotten marriage. He had married “socially”, as expected by his financially well-heeled family, but in his heart he had always been drawn to the sad, lon...

Reply

E. B. Bullet
20:50 Apr 05, 2023

Thank you for your response! I totally understand that the intent wasn't to have James lust after her "purity" in the religious sense, because that wouldn't fit with the story at all LOL I get that he found her endearing and charming and different, which is valid! It was mostly the "so unlike all the many vacuous girls in the school" line that sealed his fate for me haha. I guess I've never been fond of the comparison where one girl is far superior to ALL the others around for xyz reasons, so that clouded James in an ick cloud for me fo...

Reply

Viga Boland
20:54 Apr 05, 2023

All good 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jody S
14:39 Apr 03, 2023

Loved the twist! As a born skeptic, I doubted James' intentions but was so happy to have the twist surprise! Lovely read!

Reply

Viga Boland
16:16 Apr 03, 2023

Thanks! Good things do happen to nice people. I was a bit of a Dolores-Delilah for different reasons. Today, hubby and I are still together after 52 years. If yiu ever get to read one of my dialogue only pieces between the Banters, you’ll feel the love despite the bickering.

Reply

Jody S
16:42 Apr 03, 2023

I will check them out! I could spend all day reading (which would be glorious) but then we might have to eat the dogs kibbles so I block my reading time at night!! Looking forward to diving in to your works and all the fun on the site!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Joe Sauers
18:17 Apr 02, 2023

Hi Viga, I’m trying to think of a witty, erudite way of saying how reading this story made me feel… and failing miserably. Fateful and butterfly-ish, Dolores-Delilah is a thing of beauty, masterfully executed. 😁

Reply

Viga Boland
18:36 Apr 02, 2023

Your words, as brief as they may be, are music to these old ears, believe me. No need for erudition or witticism…just honesty. Thank you do much 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
18:13 Apr 01, 2023

This story was a fantastic fairy tale, and I love Dolores-Delilah and hope she gets to have many more adventures in her still young life! So many things to enjoy about this story, but the small-town Catholic girl growing up eating shame every day, is what drew me in. The devil on her shoulder, Delilah, urging her to embrace life and not fear is the piece that is most relatable. And the happily ever after on a Disney ship, of all places, was a masterful conclusion. I see this as a romance novel, something along the lines of Kristan Higgins...

Reply

Viga Boland
21:10 Apr 01, 2023

Hey KT…so glad you found time to read DD. Your feedback is wonderful. I have really appreciated all the feedback on this one as it was the first piece of fiction I ever wrote 7 years ago, and I found the writing so hard, I decided I just shouldn’t tackle fiction LOL. You see, for me, memoir is easy: I know the outcome, the ending. With this one I struggled for months wondering where to take it. It’s interesting you commented on it’s potential for a romance novel. One of my very talented writing peers at the time I wrote this said exactly th...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
14:28 Apr 01, 2023

Hi Viga, If having a reader live vicariously in the characters is a mark of a good story, you've met that benchmark, but its more than that, isn't it? I'm not sure you know how insightful you can be, whether in a simple banter, or a more in-depth character piece like this. You have so much to offer, a wisdom really, that just comes out when you write. The response from the Reedsy community is almost overwhelming. That should tell you something. Even your imperfections add perfection, in this instance a joining with Delores in a common bon...

Reply

Viga Boland
14:57 Apr 01, 2023

Oh my goodness Jack. I am so flattered, yet humbled by your praise. Humbled because of my years of doubt about everything about me…from my looks, to my zaniness, to my huge insecurities in so many areas, not the least of which, as you know, is writing. Thank you so much for your in-depth look at me through my writing. And of course, Dolores-Delilah is me in so many ways. I too am still a great big kid in love with the life I found once I left my parental home and that father for whom I had no tears. Jack, I wish you were a Reedsy judge LOL...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:12 Mar 31, 2023

Oh, Viga, So nice to see you taking the chance to change things up- then to find out you had actually done this piece years before. You are talented. Just live with it:) You have been extra busy this week posting two if I'm correct. I'll read the next one when done here. First wanted to say thanks for commenting and liking my all too true piece on Timothy. (Just got back from my visit.) My Mother passed (almost two years already!) and I am still sitting amidst some of her treasures I retrieved cleaning out her house. Of course there wer...

Reply

Viga Boland
15:05 Mar 31, 2023

Thanks Mary. Glad you enjoyed my shift to different genres of writing this week. I love variety in all things, be it food, hobbies, reading and/or writing. I’ve said as much in my second piece this week. T.G.I.F. in my phrase “same old, dame old”. I find the comments we receive on Reedsy so interesting in their observances and reactions to pieces. I’ve been mulling over one of the comments on Dolores-Delilah for the past 2 hours. It surprised and amused me, and has got me thinking about how different readers/writers assess the good, better...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
10:27 Mar 31, 2023

The last line was good, Viga. It really encapsulated everything for Dolores/Delilah. The name choices were good. Dolores, for pain. Delilah, for temptress. Polar opposites fighting it out, each winning their fair share of battles. Nicely done. The Dolores/Delilah dichotomy ties in well with the past colliding with the present. Although Dolores/Delilah can never escape her past, she can subvert it. It takes courage to do this, and Dolores/Delilah displays courage. Your writing is getting better, my friend. Your tales flow better now, and t...

Reply

Viga Boland
17:28 Mar 31, 2023

I’ve been mulling over your comments on this one since I first read them this morning. You really got me thinking, especially given you started your feedback with the first half of your first sentence i.e. “The last line was good.” My gut reaction, before reading on was “OMG…so the rest was bad?” Boy, how insecure can I be LOL! Thankfully, the rest of that sentence was reassuring, along with the accurate analysis you gave the character of Dolores-Delilah. Your insight into the woman pleased me. Given I wrote this more as literary fiction ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:43 Mar 30, 2023

Oh, Viga, I love this She'd believed Clive would make her whole, but all Clive had done was make her pregnant: I like that - there was another line I really liked too - but now I can't find it. This is so sweet and yet not 'gooey' - thank you for writing it. Never give it up1

Reply

Viga Boland
02:11 Mar 30, 2023

Thanks Patricia. Makes me so happy when someone who writes as well as you do likes my fiction. And that’s a truth by someone who doesn’t believe she can write fiction 🤪 Very flattered when writers pluck certain lines out of my story as you did here. Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:14 Mar 29, 2023

so sweet. a perfect fit for this prompt... and (whether yo did this intentionally or not) you added the 'I feel alive' too. :) thanks for writing!! :D

Reply

Viga Boland
12:18 Mar 29, 2023

Thanks For reading it Lilah. And it wasn’t intentional but yes, I did realize it suited both prompts. Actually couldn’t decide which one to slot it into 😉

Reply

Irene Duchess
15:49 Mar 29, 2023

Hehe really? :) always glad to read your stories :D

Reply

Viga Boland
15:57 Mar 29, 2023

Thanks my friend. My muse needs that reassurance today.

Reply

Irene Duchess
22:37 Mar 29, 2023

aww. Hope you have a good day! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
19:07 Mar 28, 2023

This is my favorite piece you have written so far and I don't say that lightly because I liked all the others I have read from you. The writing here feels tighter somehow, more controlled as it builds. The fact that the MC is dual faceted makes her interesting but also relatable because everyone at one point or another battles their own inner voices about 'the right thing to do" and this story really illustrates that . So many great lines here: "She’d eaten it up like communion at Sunday mass. " "She'd believed Clive would make her whole,...

Reply

Viga Boland
22:57 Mar 28, 2023

Hey Wally, I don’t think I could ask for better feedback on this one than what you just gave me. Thanks a million. Really glad you liked my more traditional type of story writing. It might appeal more to those writers on here who are looking for traditional story structures as opposed to my happy banters. The interesting thing, for me, about this story is that the longer, original story was written and published over 7 years ago. It took me as long to write that original piece of fiction … nearly 9 months…as it did to write my 300 page mem...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nona Yobis
16:32 Mar 28, 2023

What a beautiful story! I was so afraid that it was going to go south for poor Delores, but was pleasantly surprised to find that James was, indeed, a good catch! I also loved the switch in perspectives, what a great writing tool to utilize!

Reply

Viga Boland
16:59 Mar 28, 2023

Wow…coming from you, Yobi, whom I consider one of the best Reedsy writers, that is high praise indeed. Thanks so much. BTW, i just slipped over to your YouTube page where you read your stories. Beautifully done. Lovely reading voice. I tried that for some time with my book reviews. No time for it lately. Have been wracking my brain for some way to do it with The Banters, but hubby doesn’t want to be the voice of Mr. Banter LOL, And I can’t afford to pay someone. Sigh. Besides, it would need an animated cartoon on YouTube. That is somethin...

Reply

Nona Yobis
17:51 Mar 28, 2023

I love that idea, of recording your stories! They already have an old-timey radio show feel, and would be perfect in that format, complete with laugh tracks :). I use an AI app that generates pretty pictures for mine. I appreciate you checking out my page, it's an experiment and an exercise in extroversion for sure!

Reply

Viga Boland
18:39 Mar 28, 2023

You’re right re old-time radio show feel. Trouble is I need an AI app that’ll generate a talking Matthew and Martha Banter cartoon-style video!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
13:01 Mar 28, 2023

I like this second chance at life story. The dual personality is interesting too, a side of her character she has had to repress for so long, that finally is let out. I laughed that this personality had her own name and identity. Very different from your other pieces, but no less charming and sweet. May favourite line -She was a volcano of erupting emotions held in check for way too long. How can you hold an eruption in? This image is so powerful. It contrasts nicely with the description that follows… -Dolores' colorful summer dress billowed...

Reply

Viga Boland
14:24 Mar 28, 2023

I love the contrasts you pointed out in the last few sentences of your commentary, Michelle. You just “enlightened” me as the writer to something I didn’t realize I had done! So fascinating what one learns about writing style from other reader-writers. Thanks for mentioning it. Glad you liked the alter-ego personalities. According to my research on alter- egos, we all have them. But growing up as Dolores did, that duality was even stronger because she wasn’t allowed to express it. I know this personality quirk from personal experience but f...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:45 Mar 28, 2023

I loved the dual personalities. I also loved that the cruise was taking place on a Disney-themed ship - as the love story was delightfully a pure Disney love story. I began to race towards the end as I became fearful that James might turn out to be her 'Clive' character - thank goodness he didn't. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reply

Viga Boland
12:30 Mar 28, 2023

Hey Stevie…lovely to get a response like yours to a fiction piece of mine, as this is far from my usual style or genre of writing. I wondered how the dual personalities would resonate with readers. So I’m tickled pink you “loved” that aspect. Interesting you liked the choice of the Disney Dream. I had a long discussion with my daughter, who actually worked on that ship (singer) and arranged for her father and me to enjoy a 5-day cruise on it years ago. We were debating the Disney ship’s appropriateness for the eventual intimacy between th...

Reply

Stevie Burges
13:21 Mar 28, 2023

Enjoyed the story Viga keep writing and entertaining me!

Reply

Viga Boland
13:49 Mar 28, 2023

Thanks for the encouragement, Stevie. 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
03:25 Mar 28, 2023

Viga, this story was enjoyable. Nice interweaving of pace, flow and scenes. One small observation, which may have been purposely done. In some instances you do a combo of telling and the directly after showing what you just told. Eg. James was courteous and caring. He pulled out her chair at the dinner table, opened doors for her, and listened without interrupting as she spoke. He was a true gentleman, the kind of man she'd dreamed about meeting. I offer a suggestion that you may ignore---I would remove James was courteous and caring. and ...

Reply

Viga Boland
12:18 Mar 28, 2023

Hey Lily…didn’t expect anyone to read this so soon after I posted it, so this was a nice surprise. Thanks for reading and for your observations. I read and re-read your suggestions for a change to the tell and show aspect. I’m still not clear on what you meant, but I changed it anyway 😉 Still not sure if how it reads now is what you were suggesting, but I’ll go with that. Again, thanks for your attention to this, the first bit of fiction I wrote over 7 years ago which I vastly modified in this recreation. The original was 7500 words and we...

Reply

Lily Finch
14:44 Mar 28, 2023

I noticed this was not your typical genre but it is good

Reply

Viga Boland
16:24 Mar 28, 2023

Thanks for encouragement. Decided to offer this one as a change from the Banters. Don’t want folks to think bantering is all I can do LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
13:23 Apr 13, 2023

Hi Viga, I loved the romantic tale. I thought it was beautifully written and the ending was the cherry on top. The mother character intrigued me and I’d love to read a piece about her journey. As a practicing Catholic, I think there’s a big conversation around intimacy and sexuality for each parishioner and that’s a journey that you must, ultimately, take alone. You did a superb job of characterizing these women. Nice work!

Reply

Viga Boland
13:33 Apr 13, 2023

Thank you so much Amanda for reading this one. The mother was modelled on what I remember was drummed into our heads as Catholic school girls. I too attended Catholic schools until University. Funny part is my parents weren’t practising Catholics the entire time, as neither my husband nor I are now. And yes, I feel for today’s practising Catholics, as I do for so many who follow organized religions. I’ve read extensively about too many of them whose leaders don’t practice what they preach. And the abuse of children by the clergy is far from ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Geir Westrul
21:20 Apr 09, 2023

That was great. I was suspecting and expecting that James would turn out to be just as bad as Dolores’s mother had warned, out to prey on her. But then, the turn, that James had been, if not exactly “in love”, maybe the word is “enchanted”, with Dolores from their school days. Unexpected and perfect. And then, the Dolores-Delilah turn at the end. She can be both.

Reply

Viga Boland
22:13 Apr 09, 2023

Thanks for reading Geir and for the kind words. I suspect this isn’t your kind of writing and reading, but I appreciate you giving my effort the time. In all honesty, while I like to write warm, tender stories, or when I’m in the mood, humour…my favourite…when it comes to reading…I’m a paid book reviewer…my preferences are crime and psychological thrillers LOL. That should explain why I enjoyed your story so much. 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.