4 comments

Gay LGBTQ+

Nishan sighed, massaging his temples with his thumbs. He wondered why it took so long for some people to get ready on important days. Especially his boyfriend, Zion, who took at least three hours to get ready. Nishan didn't really mind that Zion took years to get ready, but his family did. They were enthusiastic about meeting Zion since Nishan had been talking about him for weeks. Nishan took his phone from the back pocket of his coal-black dress pants with his right hand and dialed Zion's number.

"Hello?" Zion's voice came from the other end.

"Zion, where are you? The show started half an hour ago, and everyone is asking me where you are!" Nishan exclaimed, throwing his left hand up in the air.

"I'm in the car driving there," Zion told him calmly. Nishan nodded, taking a deep breath.

"Alright, see you later."

"Bye!"

Nishan smiled and watched the streets, his hands in his pockets. His Nutella-colored skin glowed beautifully in the moonlight, and he waited patiently and watched the street, just in case Zion's limousine appeared. Nishan heard the front door of a building open behind him.

"Where is this guy? Something's fishy about him. We've never met him, and he's late?" Nishan's father said, he sounded aggravated. Nishan turned, looking at his father in the eyes, which were chartreuse, just like his own. 

"Zion is the nicest, calmest guy I've ever met, so please Dad, act appropriately in front of him. We want to make nice first impressions, right?" Nishan asked, his arms crossed.

His dad sighed, a smile forming on his face. "When did you become so defensive?" He teased, playfully punching Nishan in the arm. "I can tell that you really like this guy, so... fine. I'll lay off, buddy."

"Thank you, Dad! And don't forget, be nice!" Nishan told his father, still looking for Zion's car.

"This dude... I swear."

The front door opened again, and Nishan heard loud speaking, cold air, and he smelled the high-class colognes and perfumes.

"Are you sure this guy is even coming?" His mother's toneless voice behind him.

"Mom, I know he is," Nishan said, fiddling with the arms of his suit, which was the color of a polar bear. Nishan knew that his mother did not approve of him having a boyfriend, and he was determined to make her accept him for who he was. "You, of all people, know that this guy makes me happier than I've ever been."

His mom glanced at him. "I don't understand how or why. You're a very handsome boy, you attract all of the young ladies, why do you have to like... him?" The way she said 'him' made Nishan even angrier.

"Why can't you just accept me?!" He exclaimed.

His mom glared at him, veins popping out in her hands, arms, and forehead. "Because my only child is... gay! That's not easy to handle!"

"I didn't have to tell you, ya know!" Nishan reminded her.

"I think that would've been better because now our family is confused."

"Okay, well guess what?! It took me a lot of courage to even tell you guys that I had a boyfriend, so just... leave me alone." Nishan told his mother quietly.

"Yeah, and it took me a lot of courage to tell you how I feel about that." His mom said, rolling her eyes.

Nishan glared at his mother, his hands balled into fists at his sides. "I'm still your son! Nothing about my personality has changed!"

His mother's eyes widened at him, and she nodded slowly, as though she was processing what he had said. Her forest green eyes were glistening with tears, but she had a little smile on her face. "I'm... I'm sorry." She said quietly, hugging Nishan.

"No, Mom, it's fine!"

"I can't wait to meet him." His mother told him, waving and walking into the building.

Nishan sighed, a smile on his face. Zion was a great guy, and his family would know that once they met him. He just took a very long time to get ready. The door creaked open once again, and Nishan ignored it.

"Did your mom give you problems?" His best friend, Tanya, asked worriedly.

"Not really."

Tanya walked up to him and grabbed his hand. "You know you can always call me up if you need relationship advice or anything.  We're still cousins, you know." She told him.

"I know, Tanya," said Nishan, nodding.

"I have a boyfriend, so I kind of know that stuff. And I've lived longer than you." Tanya smiled, acting proud. "I have more experience."

"By like three years, sure. I'll give you that. Also, you do not have more experience, because you didn't have a boyfriend until you were 16." Nishan rolled his eyes, a faint smile on his face.

"Great. I guess I'll see you inside then?"

"Yeah, I'm waiting for Zion to come because he said he would be here soon," Nishan told Tanya. He heard the dark blue door open again behind him as Tanya left.

A black limousine drove up to where he was standing, and Nishan smiled as Zion got out. "Hey, Zion!" Nishan exclaimed, hugging his boyfriend tightly. Zion, meanwhile, stood there like a limp worm in Nishan's arms.

"Oh gosh," Zion mumbled, staring at the building behind Nishan. "Do I really have to go in there? That building is huge."

Nishan laughed, turning to the building. "Yeah, but this is important. My family has their doubts about you, so show them who you are." He told Zion, patting him on the back.

"Okay, but tell me what I'm going to go through once I step into that building," Zion said, waving as the limo drove away into the darkness. "I don't really like surprises."

"Uhm... fancy people in suits and ties, rich snobs who give you dirty looks every time you step on their fancy red carpets, yeah."

"Sounds like hell."

"It is, basically. But you'll get through it." Nishan told him, a smile on his face.

"Okay." Zion took a deep breath. "Okay, I think..." He took another breath.

Nishan stared at Zion for a while, then his eyes widened and he suddenly offered his arm. "Here, gentleman. Ready?"

"Maybe?" Zion shrugged, his voice quiet.

Nishan shook his head, a smile on his face. "No, no, no." He said, shaking his finger at Zion. "It's like this, 'I was born ready.' Confidently."

Zion smiled at Nishan, his posture straightening up. "Okay... I was born ready."

July 06, 2020 13:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Aimee P
18:20 Aug 05, 2020

This is a really nice story! I saw it had no comments, and I figured I'd give this one a try because some of my favorite stories have no comments and I would love feedback on those if people were interested. I really identify with Nishan as a bisexual woman myself. My parents know, but I feel that if I weren't dating my boyfriend we would be having some of the same struggles Nishan is. But I am really glad he has people like his cousin, and that his mother listens to him and apologizes for her hurtful words. Your character interactions a...

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:16 Aug 05, 2020

Thank you, Aimee! I appreciate you commenting since it means a whole lot more to me than likes only. :) I'm demibisexual, so I could relate to this story too, and that's kind of why I wrote it. I was pretty hesitant about writing about a relationship between a boy and a girl because people have their... ideas? So, yeah! Thank you for your support! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ariadne .
22:53 Oct 16, 2020

Done! :)

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
22:55 Oct 16, 2020

Lol, maybe I should do this too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.