38 comments

Fiction

Her tight smile never quite reached her eyes, and the irritable way in which she answered every question told me something was wrong with Tara. Staff and patients scurried in and out of the waiting room while she assisted each need with thinly veiled annoyance.

On a good day, Tara's eyes were these huge, wide-set owlish things that seemed to evoke as much curiosity as wonderment. Today, the watery, unblinking tenor set a more uneasy tone. 

I spent the first half of my shift cataloging and dismissing all her cues, but interacting was unavoidable; the obvious nagged all night like an itch.

“What’s wrong with you?” I waited until things were quiet, though I knew from experience it wouldn’t last long. As if following my train of thought, Tara's big eyes quickly darted left to right before landing on me with the same level of annoyance she’d possessed with others.

“Nothing, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? 'Fine' is universal for—“

“Fine is universal for fuck off,” she claps back. Shoulders slumping, she apologizes, “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, that was uncalled for.”

I've always thought Tara was sweet, so I give her a break. She’s beautiful, certainly, in a strange kind of way. A work friend, nothing more, though I wouldn’t say no to a nightcap if we ever found ourselves together outside of work. 

“Tell me what’s wrong,” I gently demand.

“I’m uh… I’m just a little irritable tonight."

"It seems like there's more to it. You can talk to me, you know."

She makes a strangled sound, followed by an awkward wince. “It’s really kind of embarrassing.”

Intrigued, though I try to maintain an expression of concern, I lean forward on the desk between us. Tara's phone sits dormant beside her, the computer screen bright with the evening's calendar. 

When she realizes I'm not going anywhere without a little more information, reluctantly, she attempts to explain. “I’ve been in this sort of… recovery group. It’s just a little embarrassing to talk about, is all.” Her cheeks tinge pink, and she gestures with an aloofness she clearly doesn’t feel.

“Oh, Tara, I had no idea. Are you okay? You know, it’s nothing to be ashamed of. Do you have someone to talk about this with? Maybe in HR—“

“No! Sorry, no, I don’t want anyone from HR knowing about this.”

“You know, they have no right to discriminate against you for your addiction. It's illegal.”

Another strangled sound escapes her. “No, it’s not that kind of addiction.”

There's a commotion by the revolving front doors, a couple of security guards dealing with an unruly drunk. I can see the matted blood against his hairline from here. I wish I could say that was uncommon, but it would be a lie.

Addiction comes in all forms. I never judge.

Turning back to Tara, I remind her of this. She still looks uncomfortable, but at least she's no longer weaponizing those giant, expressive eyes, making me feel like a bother for my concern.

"It's not that I don't trust you, it's just… I don't think you'd understand."

"That's not really fair, Tara. I mean, if you don't want to tell me, that's one thing, but don't use your insecurities against me."

Her eyes narrow, but her shoulders relax slightly, falling further from her ears where they've been taking residence all night. 

"I guess it could help to talk about it. The truth is, I'm obsessed with reading."

I wait for the punchline that never comes. 

She squirms, "Look, I know it doesn't sound like a real thing. But I can't go an hour without it. Since it's books, I always assumed it wasn't a real problem. So what, I'd spend a few extra minutes reading a few paragraphs in the line at the grocery store or stay up a little too late finishing a book because I couldn't sleep without knowing the ending."

"Okay…"

"I know it doesn't sound like a big deal."

I want to dissuade her of that notion, to assure her I understand, but I don't think I can.

"I started to realize how much I was using books to escape reality. I skip dinner plans with family or cancel plans with friends or first dates because I'd rather be inside a world created in my head than with other humans. Sometimes I pretend to work, but I'm actually on my Kindle on my phone!"

"Tara, that's not good," I chastise her. "What we do here is very important—"

"I know, I know. It's awful. I just couldn't stop. Anyway, I'm working on cutting back, it's just hard."

"Okay… alright, that's good, Tara." I do my best not to sound condescending, but my fleeting crush on her has, well, fleeted. 

With a little more confidence, she sits taller in her chair. "I mean, some of it's sophisticated. 'Like illumined pearls the lamps shone from the summits of their tall poles upon the living texture below which, changing shape and hue unceasingly, sent up into the warm grey evening air an unchanging unceasing murmur.'" 

Tara's big eyes flutter, watery and distant, lost in some romantic quote from another time and place. Her wistful smile falls off, replaced with the fake, tight one. "That's James Joyce—one of my favorites. And last week, I finished this incredible book, Demon Copperhead. It won a Pulitzer."

"That's very nice, Tara," I give her my own fake smile back, standing a little straighter, ready to get the fuck out of this weird conversation.

"But then… then there's this book, Mated by the Monster Orc."

"What?"

"Yeah. Or like, Seducing the Vampire King. Stuff like that."

Blink. Blink. Silence. 

"Mostly, I like editing those books in my head. Can you imagine if they were done really well? Like, Tolkien meets Debby Does Dallas. Or Brontë meets John Wick. It would be amazing.”

"Tara…"

"I know, I know. I have a problem. My point is it doesn't matter what I'm reading. It can be the best literary piece of the decade or absolute trash; I just can't stop. It's interrupting my life, it's affecting my work. I love it, and… I don't. I just can't stop escaping reality, even for five minutes. It's so easy to fall into someone else's fantasy."

She finally turns to me, but given the physical distance I've put between us, her brow furrows, and she shrinks away, shoulders climbing back toward her ears. I can't bring myself to care. I'm annoyed and offended that she thinks this is an actual problem.

I take a deep breath, attempting to sound non-judgemental. "Addiction is a serious thing, Tara. It's complex and consequential—"

"Exactly!"

"And you're making a mockery of other people's struggles."

Shame colors her cheeks, but I can't bring myself to care.

"Dr. Matthews?" She calls out as I straighten my stethoscope draping across my neck, and stalk toward the entrance to the ICU.

Slamming my palm against the swinging door, I look back at her slack-jawed expression and snap, "Why can't you just do cocaine like the rest of us!" 

May 25, 2024 16:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Sian D'ski
11:02 Jun 13, 2024

I love how unpredictable (and unexpected) this story was! I wish it was longer, because it was brilliantly funny and intriguing. Great job Hazel :)

Reply

Hazel Ide
23:32 Jun 13, 2024

Thank you so much Sian! I really enjoyed your story too I’ll keep reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Meyers
15:15 Jun 07, 2024

You had me hooked from the beginning. Great ending, great story :)

Reply

Hazel Ide
21:19 Jun 07, 2024

Thank you Kim! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:00 Jun 07, 2024

Hilarious ending! I enjoyed it very much. I was surprised when she said her obsession was reading...but then an obsession can be about anything, I suppose. Great story, Hazel.

Reply

Hazel Ide
11:22 Jun 07, 2024

Thanks do much for reading Anastasia!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Doig
07:53 Jun 06, 2024

Good one Hazel! At first, I was thinking ... ummm ... here it comes ... her obsession .. and my mind was going ... and then ... it was READING! HAHA. That was great. The build-up and then the pullback by the doctor was done very well. But the clincher was the final little paragraph/line. Great payoff. Great dialogue too. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Hazel Ide
11:45 Jun 06, 2024

Thank you for reading, Andrea!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
18:12 Jun 05, 2024

Oh me Gerd. This is hilarious and brilliant. I could see, by the actions of the characters that this wonderful little story was coming to an end, and I thought, 'Wha? How?' But you did it. What makes this story so entertaining though, is not the punchline, good as it is, it's the writing. It was the journey, not the destination. The way the MC starts off mildly intrigued, and gradually slides across the spectrum to repulsed, as reflected in the narration. It started with: “Tell me what’s wrong,” I gently demand.' That's gotta be the most a...

Reply

Hazel Ide
22:24 Jun 05, 2024

haha thank you ken! i felt a little stilted in the writing this time so I appreciate it didn't read clunky. the content though, I'm glad it made you laugh. though I didn't tag it as a funny story, personally, that was my intention. i think anywhere I put 'mated by the monster orc' was going to contrast, but I guess right after his declaration did make the most sense. thank you so much, as always, for your feedback. stay weird!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
02:42 Jun 04, 2024

A long set up, but huge pay off. lol. Although, now that I think about it, Dr. Matthews says, "Addiction comes in all forms. I never judge." Unless it's an addiction to books. This is a close second laugh.

Reply

Hazel Ide
12:12 Jun 04, 2024

Thanks Daniel :) nice catch on that line too, no one else mentioned it and it was kind of a pinnacle in my opinion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
21:44 Jun 02, 2024

Well, you got me. I love the story, and Tara is so real. Then the last line was a laugh out loud winner. However, I never realized my obsession with the printed word could qualify as an addiction. I guess reaching for my kindle every moment I get, in the middle of dinner with friends when conversation stops because someone is leaving the table for the lady's room or accepting anything with words on it--a political or sales handout--while walking and then stepping out into traffic without looking as I'm reading it might indicate an obsession....

Reply

Hazel Ide
23:36 Jun 02, 2024

Haha, thanks for the comments Beverly! It seems up for debate if it’s an addiction or not but we all seem to have a bit of an obsession. Reedsy- go figure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kael Mans
22:26 Jun 03, 2024

Right? You get the dopamine hits and the break from reality. Just like watching a whole season of a show in one sitting. They've done quite a few studies on how reading affects the brain. Down to how strongly we feel for the characters - as if they were our own friends and family.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Carol Stewart
16:33 Jun 02, 2024

Oh gee, that ending! Well done you for exploring this, and yeah, I don't imagine there would be many support groups for a reading addiction, I mean the pamphlets would pose a problem in themselves. Guess a reading addiction could be as potentially harmful as any other if it interferes with your work and relationships - like gaming and that's taken seriously, right?

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:36 Jun 02, 2024

“The pamphlets would pose a problem in themselves” haha that’s great. Thank you for reading Carol!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danielle LeBlanc
15:37 Jun 02, 2024

LMFAOOOOO!!! i absolutely loved this. "Tolkien meets Debby Does Dallas" was the hook, line and sinker for me! and "ready to get the fuck out of this weird conversation"... and of course, the ending haha. This story was perfection and 100% made my day :) Great work!

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:38 Jun 02, 2024

Aw thank you so much Danielle! Haha I’m glad you liked it, thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Devon Cano
20:50 Jun 01, 2024

This really made me laugh, especially that last line! I feel you, Tara, I really do.

Reply

Hazel Ide
21:13 Jun 01, 2024

Haha, thank you Devon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kayden Solace
18:45 Jun 01, 2024

I totally get Tara's addiction. Getting lost in somebody else's world is much better than living your own sometimes. I wonder if this could be a real thing. People get addicted to all sorts of activities like exercising or video games. It's all about the dopamine and the feeling of escape.

Reply

Hazel Ide
19:37 Jun 01, 2024

Thanks for the comments Kayden. I agree, it's very likely a real thing. Good or bad, it's kinda nice to be in a community where we all have a similar affliction. :/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:31 Jun 01, 2024

Excellent story Hazel. I was taking it all so seriously and then you got me with the ending. Actually think (probably like a lot of people on here) that Tara may well have a serious addiction. Sorry to say I can identify with her. Only in my case, a little bit addicted to writing and reading other people’s stories. On a more serious note, it’s all too easy to escape into a fictional world and ignore relationships with other people.

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:26 Jun 01, 2024

Thank you Helen! It is one-hundred percent a real thing. That's actually why I didn't tag the story as 'funny,' because even though the story is fiction, I also completely relate to the MC. I think people assume if reading and writing are addictive it's okay because it's intellectually fulfilling but it can be just as gripping an escape as other vices. Thanks for sharing your comments.

Reply

Helen A Smith
20:18 Jun 01, 2024

I agree, but sometimes it can be the only way to get through the tough times.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:35 May 27, 2024

Well, I suppose all of us relate to the addiction. Hahahaha ! Splendid one. I love the air of mystery pervading in this story. Splendid work !

Reply

Hazel Ide
18:29 May 27, 2024

If anyone would get it, we would! Thanks, Alexis!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
07:31 May 27, 2024

Ha ha, I am definitely addicted to reading. At the end of my primary education, I received a reward for reading the whole school library. So I can understand how reading can become an addiction. Nice one.

Reply

Hazel Ide
13:52 May 27, 2024

That’s incredible. Little did they know they were feeding your lifetime addiction to escapism! Haha just kidding Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
19:17 May 26, 2024

Great flow, had me hooked from the beginning to see what the addiction is. Then finding out, well, I think we all have a bit of that here on Reedsy ha ha! I enjoyed your story a lot! :)

Reply

Hazel Ide
20:43 May 26, 2024

Heh, thanks Hannah :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
22:48 May 25, 2024

Hey, I want to know the end of Mated by the Monster Orc, I'd stay up for that. Not so much Tolkien and Debbie does Dallas, but I get the genre. LOL "Why can't you just do cocaine like the rest of us?" Priceless. Great stuff!

Reply

Hazel Ide
00:30 May 26, 2024

Haha oh that’s great Trudy. I agree, though I was having trouble coming up with an even more ridiculous combination than DDD and Tolkien, so I went with it. Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:07 May 25, 2024

Oh, yeah, joints not Joyce! Thanks for liking the Passing. And 'Not Another One! And 'Follow Me' And 'Secrets That We Keep'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:38 May 25, 2024

Love it

Reply

Hazel Ide
20:55 May 25, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

21:24 May 25, 2024

np

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.