Sinking in Mutiny

Written in response to: Start your story in the middle of the action.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Suspense

Water blurred her vision. Darkness threatened to seep in around her. Light flashed above her, thunderous booms sounded, muffled and echoing. Her lungs burned. Her body weighed almost nothing. Yet she was sinking lower. She tried to scream for help, but water rushed into her mouth, forcing itself down into her lungs. She pushed back the fiery coughs that threatened to kill her. The darkness creeped in closer. Her mind surrendered.

***

“Captain!” 

Darkness.

“Captain!”

Feeling returned. 

“Merantha!”

A hand in hers.

“Merantha, please!”

Light. Booming. Thundering.

“Come out of it!”

Too much light. Shaking. Crashing, splintering, thundering.

“Oh thank goodness,”

A sigh. Warm arms. Flashing light. More thundering. 

“What happened?” Merantha managed.

“Someone knocked you out and threw you overboard,” the voice said.

“I don’t feel so good,” Merantha said, pushing away from the voice. As soon as she hit the ground she barrelled over and vomited on the deck. The smell caused more bile to rise to her throat and dirtied the deck once more. Once her vision cleared and the bile subsided, Merantha looked up. 

What she had thought was a deck, was, in fact, only a deck in part. Panic rose, and she quickly looked all around. Her heart dropped. 

“My ship,” she whispered. 

“Merantha. Breathe,” he said in a warning manner.

She did not listen. She couldn’t. Suddenly she was thrust back into drowning. Sounds were muffled again. Her sight was filled with water. Breathing became hard. Her hands shook. She was enveloped by a strong body. She released herself into it, unable to hold her weight any longer. Through her blurry vision she could see a large shadow approaching.

“Merantha! Stay awake! Breathe! Merantha! Breathe!” 

Darkness took her once more. 

***

The thundering stopped. Waves no longer washed her body up and down. When she opened her eyes, the room was dim. Slowly she pushed herself up into a sitting position. As she looked around her eyes adjusted. She was surrounded by bars.

“Captain,” whispered someone in the cell next to her.

“Chase?” she whispered back.

“Yes,”

“How did we get here?”

“The ship was attacked,”

“What?!”

“I believe it to be an act of mutiny. I think it may have been planned. We-” Chase stopped talking. Further down the cells they could hear a door opening. Chase continued, speaking very quickly. 

“Merantha, listen. They cannot know you are the captain. I must take the blow,” footsteps approached their cells. 

“Follow my lead, Captain,”

“But Chase-”

“No. As your first mate, it’s my duty” The echoing footsteps came closer.

“Follow my lead,”

Finally the steps stopped.

“Well, well, well. Look at what the water brought in. Some scum sucking barnacles,” a big booming voice snickered. Others joined him in laughing. 

“Who is the captain here?” he yelled.

It was then Merantha could see her crew in the other cells around her. Before she could say anything, Chase spoke up.

“I am the Captain!” 

“Oh? Is that right?” the large man said with a sneer.

“Yes,” Chase said. He glanced at Merantha with an apology and warning written in his eyes. Anger bubbled in Merantha’s stomach, yet she did not say anything. Chase had a plan.

“Right. May I ask why you have a woman on board?” The man asked with wry amusement. 

“Payment, from the island of Taronguay,” Chase said, unwaveringly. Disgust crossed Merantha’s face and she gazed down at the dirty floor of the cell. 

“Oh? You won’t mind me taking her then. I haven’t had good pleasure for quite some time, isn’t that right boys!” The man boomed. The men behind him erupted in catcalls and dog-like laughter. Merantha couldn’t help but look up from the ground and at the man in defiance. Staring back at her were eyes full of lust, tracing every outline of her body. Suddenly she felt naked. 

“Later, my pet,” He whispered to her. She cringed and her body shuttered.

“So, Captain, where might your first mate be?” the man said, still watching Merantha.

“I believe he died when our boat sank,” Chase said. Finally the large man averted his gaze from Merantha’s body and smirked at Chase. 

“Right, right. And your second mate?”

“Also dead. Cannonball straight to the head,” Chase said, glancing down. Merantha then noticed his shirt was soaked with blood. Tears rose to her eyes. Bill had died.

“Hmmm,” the man crooned. 

“Is it true, Sawyer?” he called.

Merantha’s anger swallowed her whole as she stood and shook the door to her cell. A man walked up next to the large man.

“He is lying, Captain,” Sawyer said with a smirk. 

“You traitor! How dare you! How dare you!” Merantha screamed.

“And what is the truth?” the large man asked.

“Chase here is not the captain of my former crew. He was the first mate. She,” he said pointing accusingly at Merantha. “She is the captain. I was the second mate. The man who was shot through the head with a cannon was Bill, our helmsman,” 

“Dance with Jack Ketch, you galley slave!” Merantha said with a sneer. Gasps rose from all around her. She spat on the floor and smirked at Sawyer. Chase stared at her and shook his head in warning.

“What?” Sawyer asked in shock.

“I condemned you to the gallows, Sawyer Covey, then I called you the lowest of lows, a galley slave. Lower than even the scum that surely sucks your butt!” more gasps.

“What?” He said in response, still in complete shock.

“You heard me, Second Mate,” 

“Captain, please. Stop,” Chase said. He was reaching through the bars at Merantha to try and calm her down, but he was too far away. 

Finally, Sawyer snapped out of his shock and slapped Merantha across the face. Her crew all stood and growled.

“Mutiny, huh?” Merantha sneered. Blood dribbled from her nose, and she made no move to wipe it. Sawyer glanced at Chase then back at Merantha.

“Yes, Captain,” he spat.

“Looks like your plan went to the sharks, scallywag,” the large man said to Chase. “This girl’s a rowdy one. Even if Sawyer here didn’t betray your crew, how did you expect that luscious peach to keep quiet, hmmm?” 

Chase only snarled at the man. 

“Open this cell, Captain,” Sawyer said as he stared at Merantha in anger.

“Can’t. If I open that cell, I’m sure you will kill my pleasure full night,” the large man laughed.

“Open the cell,” Sawyer said again.

The large man said nothing.

“Open it!”

He studied Sawyer. Sawyer studied Merantha.

“Very well,” he motioned to a man with keys. He slowly opened the door to Merantha’s cell. Sawyer just stood there, tempting her. Finally, Sawyer snapped and pushed Merantha against the wall. He held her there as he whispered in her ear.

“Chase is the traitor,”

“I don’t believe you,” Merantha said through her teeth.

“He used a siren to make me follow him. He’s a dangerous man, Merantha. Do not let your feelings cloud your judgment,” He said in warning. He pulled back just far enough for Merantha to see his eyes. Then with a small apology he pulled her into him and kissed her violently. He touched her body and held her close to his. Merantha pushed away and slapped him as hard as she could. A red hand quickly appeared on Sawyer’s face as he smiled at her, no lust was present there. The large man and his crew hollered and hooted. Sawyer walked smoothly out of the cell to the large man. 

“She’s all yours, Captain. I would probably seduce her a little, with wine or rum. Unless you'd like to bear her wrath on your face,” he said then walked up the stairs at the end of the cells to an upper deck. The large man just laughed. 

“Jones! Put the liar in the cell with her. I’ll save her violence for another night, when I need the warmth of a woman’s skin,” the man barked. His crew bellowed in hollers and chuckles as he walked away. The man with the keys shoved Chase in Merantha’s cell. He smirked then led the crew out. As soon as they were gone, Chase grabbed Merantha.

“Are you okay? How bad did the scum hurt you?” he said as he examined her face. She pushed him away.

“I’m fine,” she said. “Did you suspect Sawyer?”

“I did,”

“How long?”

“A few days before the attack,”

“A few days? And you didn’t tell me anything?! You’re my first mate!” 

“I know, I know! I needed his plan first,”

Merantha shook her head, went to the opposite side of the cell, and sat down. Chase took a seat opposite her.

“He said it was your fault,” Merantha said.

“What was?” Chase asked.

“Sawyer said you were the one who planned the mutiny. That you used a siren to make him do whatever you wanted,”

“That’s absolute chum!” Chase chuckled.

“Sounded like truth to me,” Merantha said, trying to hide the accusation in her voice.

“Don’t you see? He’s trying to turn you against your crew,” Chase said.

Merantha said nothing.

“You don’t actually believe I’d betray you, do you?” 

Again, silence.

“Merantha, I care about you very much,” Chase said quietly.

“Like…?” Merantha asked. Chase stood and walked over to her. He grabbed her hand then looked in her eyes. 

“I love you, Merantha,” he said, then leaned in and kissed her gently. Merantha’s heart fluttered. He slowly lowered her to the ground, her body under his. His hand slipped down to her waist while the other held her neck. Merantha pushed away slowly.

“Chase, the crew can see us,”

“Some privacy, boys?” Chase called out.

“Ay ay,” they all said in response. Merantha heard shuffling as her crew turned away.

“Now we’re alone,” Chase whispered to her.

“Not being watched is not the same as being alone,” she replied. 

“It can be. I can take you to another world, Merantha,” Chase said into her neck. “Surrender, Merantha. Love is inevitable,”

Merantha laughed and quickly rolled over. She kissed him then sat up.

“I’m on top,” she said as she crossed her arms. Chase sat up and she slipped down to his lap.

“Only you,” he said.

“Yes,” Merantha replied and pushed him down with a hard kiss. 

“Guess what?” she said, breathing hard.

“Hmmm,” Chase hummed with his eyes closed.

“They never checked me. I have a vial of rum hidden under my shirt,” 

“No rum,” he said.

“Why not?!” Merantha said, sitting up again.

“If they come back we don’t want to be intoxicated, we need to be ready for any window of escape”

“I think we’re already past that,” Merantha said coyly. She gave him a seductive look and bit her bottom lip. Chase grabbed her and kissed her heavily, every moment more passionate. He unlooped her belt and moved to unlace her corset. Merantha moved her hands to his face and cupped his cheeks. After a moment, the corset lay on the floor, as did Merantha, Chase back on top. He slid his hands under the hem of her shirt and slid them under her pant seam. Merantha gasped and he stopped.

“I’m not intoxicated enough for that,” she said hurriedly. 

“Where did you say that rum was?” he said into her lips. He felt her smile and pulled back slightly.

“There is a band just under my chest that has a secret pocket,”

Before she had even finished, his hands were gliding across her stomach and to the pocket. He grabbed the vial and took a big swig then offered Merantha the rest. 

“For you, my captain,” he slurred.

“For you,” she said and took the vial. She set the vial against her lips and tilted it up. The liquid washed down her chin and neck. 

Once the bottle was emptied she threw it to the side. It shattered. Chase, in a passionate fury pulled Merantha against him, both falling to the ground. Merantha made quick work of his shirt, and threw it to the side. She held Chase’s neck and kissed him passionately, passing her hands over his chest. Chase pushed her away slightly then garbled.

“What was in that bottle?”

“Sleeping poison,” Merantha said. She continued to kiss him.

“What?” Chase slurred.

Merantha leaned in close to his ear and whispered against his skin, “The rum was laced with sleeping poison, Chase. I know you never really loved me, you wanted me for my body. You hired that large man to meet us at these coordinates to shoot us down. Of course you thought more of the crew would die, but they are strong, Chase Braddock,” 

“How?” Chase asked in a soft voice. He shook his head to keep himself from falling asleep. 

“You planned everything so well. You made sure you were alone with me on the deck when they attacked our ship. As soon as you found that Bill had seen you knock me out and push me over, you made sure Bill died. No one would notice the rifle blasts amidst the cannon fire. 

“You made a treaty with a siren to help you entrance Sawyer to do your bidding, to ensure all eyes looked at him. He had motive. You placed yourself in the ultimate position by making him mad and stealing his place as my rightful first mate. And you severed any ties you could have had with the pirate who shot us down. But, Chase Braddock, you left one very important loose end,” Merantha stood and grabbed her corset. She set to work lacing it back up.

“Tell me, Captain,” Chase spat, trying to sit up but failing.

“The siren,”

“What?” Chase gapped.

“When I vowed to be a pirate, I made an alliance with the sirens. I would help protect them, and in turn, they would provide me with immunity to all siren powers and charters to sail their waters,” she grabbed her belt and looped it through her pants. She then walked over to Chase and slid his pants off. Tied to his waist were a set of keys. Merantha grabbed them and stood. 

“No,” Chase garbled.

“Your siren visited me a few nights ago. She told me you were entrancing Sawyer to rise in mutiny. I told her to play along with it,”

Chase attempted to speak, but only managed a few bubbles.

“The crew knew the entire time. I told them to play along as well. Of course Bill couldn’t just stand by though. When he saw the ship he came to help me, he knew we were alone on the top deck. Now he’s gone,” Merantha said as she slid keys into the cell door. Finally she found the one she was looking for and the door swung open with a click. She walked over to Chase and tied the keys back on his waist. She slid his pants back on and walked over to the broken vial. She grabbed the largest shard and covered the mess with Chase’s shirt.

“Goodbye, Chase. Good luck getting out of this one,” 

Darkness surrounded Chase as Merantha slid up the stairs to the upper deck. 

***

Chase awoke to the cold. He looked above him at the light shining down and immediately water flooded into his lungs. Panic rose in his throat as he broke the surface, violent coughs throwing his body into a fit. He quickly looked around at all the other men panicking and coughing in the water around him. Merantha and her crew were nowhere in sight. He looked to the horizon and watched in blind fury as she sailed away with the ship. Chase scooped the water around him and started to furiously swim towards the ship. Suddenly silence surrounded him, only his own splashing and gasping entered his ears. Finally he stopped and looked behind him. No man could be seen. But before panic could overcome him, a sweet warmth filled his body and peace swarmed his mind. 

“Hello,” said a smooth, song like voice next to him. Chase turned towards it and came face to face with a beautiful girl. 

“Hello,” Chase said cooly, his eyes widening as his gaze drifted to her body.

“You look a little lost,” she said, eyes twinkling. 

“That depends on your perspective,” he said coyly.

“Hmmm,” she purred. She drifted closer to him. “Interesting you jumped in with your clothes still on,” she said as she pulled his belt loops to bring him closer to her. Chase chuckled and grabbed her waist. 

She smiled then said, “Would you like me to help you find your way, my sailor boy?”

Chase ripped off his pants and pulled her closer to him. “Absolutely,” he whispered in her hair.

“Very well,” she purred through her teeth. She sunk lower in the water, “Come and get me,”

She pursed her lips, taunting Chase to follow. Chase willingly drew closer to the water. As soon as his head dipped below the water, the woman’s face changed and she flashed her sharp teeth. Chase thrust towards the surface and kicked the woman away. She grabbed his ankle and dragged him to the depths. 

***

“He is gone,”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I personally dragged him below and ate his insides, my queen,”

“Good, good. And the men with him?”

“All taken by the gallows,”

“Very good, Raya, thank you,”

“My pleasure, you’re Majesty. May I ask what is next?”

The queen slowly turned to the siren. She smiled.

“I heard there is a pirate king, who has long overdue belittled and pillaged the Gioi Islands. It may be time for me to intervene,”

“Certainly,”

Just then a man came into the room. 

“Sawyer! Perfect timing,” she exclaimed.

“What are your next orders, Captain?” he asked.

“Set a course to the Gioi Islands. We have a bad man to give up to Jack Ketch,” she said with a smile.

“As you wish, Captain Merantha, as you wish,”

June 21, 2023 21:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.