0 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

THE ENEMY 

By Camille Clarke 

Leslie felt groggy and a bit disoriented as she woke up. The room was dark, cold and smelled like fresh coffee and sausages. She gave a good stretch and was still confused as she looked around the spacecraft. 

Then she remembered that she was in space and was on her way to earth, which was her final destination. The spacecraft left Titan’ s International Space Station two months ago and Leslie was glad to be at the end of this journey. It usually took around seven years but with the new spacecraft it took two months. Even though Titan was her home she felt she wanted a change in her life.  

The Titan colony recently learned that earth supported life, and anyone could volunteer to go there. Anyone who was an asset was taken to earth. The Company supplied packages which included a house, a sum of money and a job. Who could turn that down? 

Centuries ago, the earth had been home to millions of people, but within the 21st century it was learned that the planet could not sustain life any longer. 

 However, within the past 20 years the planet was scouted, and it was discovered to be humanoid friendly. The atmosphere was good and could sustain life. There was also an abundance of vegetables, gill-bearing vertebrate animals and mammals.   

“Hello, I see you now getting up, “said Marshall, one of the other passengers on board the vessel. He snapped her out of her daydreaming. 

“Yea, “she said putting on her sneakers that were at the side of her bunk. 

“We are in a lot of trouble today. I overheard the crew talking about a revolution, "he said and flicked off a speck of dust on his suit. 

Leslie raised her eyebrows and stood up beside Marshall. He seemed as if he had some feelings for her as he spent most of his time talking to her. She was not interested in him, but she did not pay attention to other males either. She was a good-looking girl with her jet-black hair and green eyes, but she felt it was too early in her life to have a mate. 

Their attention was soon taken by sergeant, Nedd Grim, who was also on the vessel. 

 He walked around the cubicles and spoke very loudly. He was giving a speech about truth, justice, and the American way. He led them out to the cafeteria where there were some people eating food. The food was prepared by an automaton that was programmed to assist them on the spacecraft. 

Leslie felt nauseous and opted to take a food supplement instead. The tablets made them feel full and were flavored as a meal. 

“We are landing on earth soon and our ETA is at 0800 hours. There is no rest here for the wicked. “Said Nedd quoting an old saying. 

They got dressed and made their way to a small craft that would take them to the landing strip.  

An hour later the craft landed in a clearing that was used by other air transport. Leslie and the other passengers were only glad to board the bus that was near the landing strip. 

She could see the moon which looked like a picture in a book. The moon was closer to the earth, and it was full. It also had a trail of debris next to it. At one time the moon was used as a home until they attempted to make it subterrain.  

Leslie was used to seeing the moons and the ring around Saturn. The bus took them to the nearest building. 

The buildings all looked new, and the air was breathable. There were armed men around the perimeter of the building and some men were laying bricks for a wall. The majority of the people here were mercenaries looking for easy money. However, there were civilians who were necessary and majored in other skills. 

Marshall looked around and held his firearm in a defensive stand. His blue eyes quick to pick up on his surroundings. 

“This doesn't look like anything in the brochure. “Leslie said, giving the place a quick look around. 

There were large trees all around but even though they were pretty some were dangerous and poisonous. The sun was nearer here on earth than on Titan. The terra formers were in a row every couple of blocks and clouds of smoke billowed from their vents. Marshall could see the sign for a bar further down the walkway. He needed a drink. He did not say it loudly. 

They were all given sunblock for their delicate skin. Some places were now being built for anyone living here. She could feel the sun rays. It was so different from Titan. 

Everyone left the bus and Leslie and Marshall needed to get inside the building. Another bus headed in their direction.  

“Let's go inside before we get our asses shot, “Marshall said. 

Before they could move, they were attacked by an alien doglike creature that looked sick and rabid. The guards were preoccupied and were fending off a band of natives who were armed. Leslie was bitten by the alien dog who seemed intent on crippling her. Leslie tried to aim her gun in his direction, but the firearm was jammed. 

“What the hell? “She screamed. She could not believe the firearm was jammed. She saw some blood coming from the bite on her leg.  

She tried to lift her arms, but they felt heavier than normal. She didn't know what had happened to her, she was paralyzed. She did not read about any paralyzing agent in the brochure that was given to them. 

 “Help! “She shouted to Marshall who was high tailing it to a nearby bunker. Marshall knew her firearm was jammed because he did it. The Company wanted to sacrifice one person for political reasons.  

The creature bit her neck and aimed for the jugular vein as she fell to the ground. The creature licked the blood that came out of her wound. Leslie closed her eyes knowing she was done. Her arms were so heavy, and she was not able to defend herself. 

 “Help!! What kind of man abandoned a friend in need? “She called out to Marshall who ran to the door of the terra former. He looked away as the animal finished with her. Leslie closed her eyes as death came. Three armed men were running to her aid, but it was too late. 

Marshall ran inside as the door swung open. A man dressed in camouflage held the door open for him to come inside. Marshall looked down and trembled in fear and shame. 

“So, you abandoned your teammate and ran inside here like a damn coward. Where the hell did you learn that huh? We don't do that shit here, and this is your first impression. Well, let me tell you that your attitude sucks and I will report you. “Shouted the colonel. What kind of yellow-bellied man did they hire? He left a member of the team to die. They should send his ass back to Titan. He hated people like that. 

Marshall could have fucking died and this man did not care. He hoped he did not have to put up with his attitude as long as he was posted here. 

He made a face that showed his disappointment and felt chunks rising up in his chest.  

Marshall did not know she was going to die so quickly. Too bad he liked her. 

Aleen crouched in a nearby tree after she released Tiger. He was a good pet. She studied his hunting technique and thought that she would train him better. 

She was so fed-up with these aliens. At least she killed one. She called out to Tiger who came running back with his bloody fur. “Atta boy. “If she had her way, she would kill every last one of those bitches.  

These damn aliens were coming to earth in droves. 

Aileen was a skilled warrior and took pride in eliminating the aliens. She was born on this planet, which was surprising because the natural birth of offspring was frowned upon here and they were limited to one child in a family.  

She gave the body of the woman one last look before she left. Tiger walked by her side and had what looked like a smile on his face.  

She stupes loudly and made her way back to the mansion. She was glad they were having a meeting later to discuss this infestation of the aliens. 

THE END 

March 25, 2024 21:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.