0 comments

Drama Thriller

“I’m writing my will out Donna.”

Veronica sat at her dining room table her arthritic fingers struggling to hold the pen. I placed her spare door key on the table and pulled up a chair alongside her.

“Would you like me to help you? Although I guess I’m not supposed to look at what you’re writing.” I said.

“No, that’s all right. You can look, so long as you’re not a beneficiary. I’m trying to decide who should inherit half my house. I could offer it to you. I’m not sure what to do with it.  I’m certainly not letting my sister Mavis have it all.”

“I don’t want half your house Veronica; I’ve got my own.” I said, while secretly wishing she’d leave everything she owned to me.

“I’ve decided, after a great deal of thought, to leave one half to my friend Julie. Mavis isn’t going to like that one bit. Neither is her boyfriend Reg.”

“What you put in your will is your business Veronica and none of theirs.”

“I know but Mavis says Julie is only after my money since I gave her a cheque for three hundred pounds. Julie’s daughter passed her degree and I was so pleased for them both I wrote out a cheque for her. Mavis says I should phone Julie up and tell her I want the money back. I can’t do that, after all it was a gift and I was pleased to be able to give it to her.”

I placed an arm around Veronica’s shoulders as she began to sniffle.

“The vicar came around the other day,” Veronica continued. “He said the church needed a new window at the back and it would cost over two hundred pounds. I gave him a cheque for four hundred to cover everything. Mavis was fine about that, but she went crazy when she saw the stub for Julie’s money. Reg has now taken my cheque book with him and says I can’t write out any more cheques without asking them first. They both said they would leave me a twenty pound note each day in case I wanted to pop to the corner shop for anything. They’ve also taken my bank cards. I’m very upset about it Donna.”

I didn’t know what to say to comfort Veronica and didn’t want to get mixed up in a family row.

“I’m sure they have your best interests at heart Veronica,” I said, “You’ve contributed a great deal to the church over the years haven’t you.”

“Yes, I have Donna. But now because I was left with a good pension after Harry died and because we didn’t have any children people think I’m worth a fortune and I’m not.” Veronica dabbed her eyes with her lace trimmed handkerchief as she became more distressed.

“Here let me get you a glass of water and then I’ll help you finish the will.”

I went into the sunlit kitchen and poured some bottled fizzy water-Veronica’s favourite.

“Now drink up and then I’ll make us both a nice cup of tea.”

I’d only been back in the kitchen a few minutes when I heard Veronica begin to wail.

“Whatever is the matter?” I asked

“Mavis came around yesterday and said she doesn’t want to have anything to do with my money and so now Reg has got Power of Attorney. They said they decided to do it before I went…before I went...”

Veronica was trying hard to speak but the words would not come out.

“Went where Veronica? Please tell me what has been going on with you, Mavis and Reg.”

“Before I went senile.”

I was taken aback at Mavis’ comments about her sister as she appeared to have all her faculties. Her only ailments were her arthritis and stomach ulcer, for which she was being treated by the doctor. We’d had some wonderful conversations whenever I’d come around for a short visit. I was appalled at the idea anyone could say Veronica was going senile.

“Come on, drink your tea Veronica,” was all I could say.

“I’ve made an appointment with the solicitors in the high street for tomorrow. Would you be kind enough as to help me get there Donna?”

“Of course, Veronica. No problem.” I said. “I’ll come around first thing in the morning and help you get ready and then take you in the wheelchair. It’s too far for you to walk and there’s no parking outside.”

“Please don’t tell Mavis or Reg if you happen to see them.” Said Veronica as she sniffled again.

“I promise I won’t say a thing. Now drink your tea up and let me put this document somewhere safe for you. I placed the document in the bottom of Veronica’s writing bureau while noticing the twenty-pound note tucked underneath the photo of her and Harry. What a sad situation, I thought to myself but decided it was none of my business what went on between Veronica and her sister.

The following morning, I arrived early and let myself in with the spare key. Veronica was watching the news channel as usual. She already had on her hat, coat and outdoor shoes.

“Shall I make you a cup of tea Veronica before we go. It’s a bit early for your appointment.”

“No, I’m fine Donna. I’ve been up for hours. I got myself ready and I’ve had a slice of toast. We can go as soon as you get the wheelchair out for me.”

I unfolded the wheelchair and Veronica steadied herself with her walking stick and then lowered herself onto the seat. Her body looked frail, but her mind certainly was not. Pushing the wheelchair on the thick carpet was rather difficult but we were soon outside, and the going was much better.

“It’s a beautiful day Veronica.”

“Yes, it is. The sun is very warm. Let’s go the long way around as you said we were a bit early for my appointment. I pointed the wheelchair down the hill and sauntered along trying to waste time. Veronica hadn’t been outside the house for at least a month and I thought the sunshine would do her good. We got to the bottom of the road, turned right and then turned right again. The going was hard now as it was uphill.

“We’re nearly there,” I puffed between breaths, thinking I would be glad to sit down once we were inside the solicitor’s office.

I put the brake on the wheelchair and was just about to open the solicitor’s door when someone grabbed my arm.

“And where do you think you’re going Donna with my sister?”

It was Mavis and her side kick, Reg.

“She’s taking me to see the solicitor. I’m making my will out today.” Said Veronica.

“But we planned to come and help you do that Veronica.” Mavis said.

“Yes and try and get me to leave everything to you. Well I’m not going to. I’m leaving half my house to Julie.”

“But Julie’s your cleaner. How can you leave your house to your cleaner?” asked Mavis.

“Quite easily.” Replied Veronica with a toss of her head.

“I suppose you put her up to this didn’t you Donna.” Said Mavis as she wagged a finger in my face.

“Now don’t you bring me into this. All I’m doing is helping Veronica keep her appointment with the solicitor.”

“And who made the appointment-you?”

“No, Veronica did it all on her own.”

“But she’s not capable. She’s got dementia. We’re going to have her certified.” Said Mavis

My jaw dropped on hearing those words from Veronica’s sister. How hateful, I thought.

Veronica began howling and struggled to undo the seat belt of the wheelchair.

“I’ll show you who’s senile and got dementia dear sister.” Said Veronica as she stood up and leaned toward the door handle of the solicitor’s office just as the solicitor himself opened it from the other side. Veronica fell forward and landed in the doorway.

“Oh, my goodness. Are you hurt Veronica?” I asked as I helped the solicitor pick her up and get her back onto her feet. We brushed her coat down. She looked a bit pale and shaken but otherwise she appeared all right.

“I’m fine. Just a little tumble and I’ve had a few of those lately.”

Meanwhile Mavis, who was now quite red in the face and Reg, who was wearing his usual blank expression, just stood watching and did not lift a finger to help Veronica.

 Veronica turned to Mavis and Reg. “Go home and leave me alone. I’m on official business and I don’t want to be disturbed.”

“I’ll talk to you later.” Said Mavis as she once again wagged a finger in my face. “And you sister dear, I will see you later as well and you had better make sure Julie is not mentioned in that will or I’ll see to it that you’re taken straight to the hospital and admitted.”

Mavis stormed off with Reg trailing along behind.

“Do come in Veronica and …?”

“Donna. I’m Mavis’ next-door neighbour.” I said.

“Ah, pleased to meet you.” Said the solicitor. “Take a seat over there. Are you sure you’re all right Veronica? Would you like a cup of tea?”

“No, I’m fine thank you. I just want to get this business over and done with.”

I made myself comfortable on a chair by the window where I could look out over the pretty garden. I tried to be as unobtrusive as possible.

After about an hour the solicitor called in two members of his staff and they witnessed Veronica’s signature on her will. It was all done.

“I’m ready to go now Donna.” Veronica said as she turned to look at me.

“I’ll go and fetch your wheelchair.” I left the room thinking Veronica looked rather pale. Maybe the whole episode with her sister and Reg and falling over had shaken her up a bit.

“I’ve done it Donna. I’m glad it’s all finished now and legal.” Veronica said.

“I’m happy for you. Now let’s get you home.” I said as I wheeled the chair the short way back to Veronica’s home.

“So, Julie is your cleaner. I’ve never met her.”

“She was my cleaner, many years ago. Then Mavis said I had to get rid of her and use her cleaner instead. But we’ve stayed friends. It’s about thirty years now. She’s like the daughter I never had. I’m so pleased I’ve sorted that will out. Goodness knows what Mavis and Reg are going to say, but I’m not scared of them.”

“Come on Veronica, let’s get you home.” I said.

Once outside Veronica’s property I helped her back inside and into her chair and then switched on the tv. The news channel again.

“Shall I make you a cup of tea Veronica?’

“No, I’m fine. I just want to rest now. It’s been a rather trying day. I’ll get myself some tea shortly after I’ve rested.

The following morning, I was getting dressed and ready to pop around to see if Veronica had got over the previous day’s trauma when I noticed Mavis and Reg get out of their car and an ambulance turn up. After a few minutes the ambulance drove off again.

I went outside and found Mavis crying into her handkerchief.

“What’s up?” I asked. “Has something happened to Veronica?”

“She pressed her emergency buzzer early this morning but when the paramedics came, she was already dead, and they could not resuscitate her. They think her ulcer had burst. They said they cannot take a dead body in the ambulance and so we are waiting for a hearse to collect her.

“I’m so sorry to hear that Mavis.” I said and went back into my own home thinking how glad I was that Veronica managed to get her will signed and sealed in time. No-one could have known she would pass away like that. Maybe it was the fall at the solicitor’s office. Maybe it was the argument with Mavis. Who knows, but she got her dying wish.

September 04, 2020 12:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.