11 comments

Speculative Adventure Fiction

"Let's see here, 8,072 days... That's a little over 22 years that I've lived on this island."

A darkly skinned man counted out loud.

"I know, my baby boy. I know that you want to see the world beyond our home. I just wish that you wouldn't leave with them. In fact, I encourage you not to."

An  elderly  woman  spoke,  as  she  sat  down  on  a  roughly  cut  conifer  bench.

“Lano,  our  family  has  lived  on  the  island  of  Bykanu  for  twelve  generations.  We  have  never  had true  a  need  to  leave  before.”

“I  know  Mama,  but  those  men  crossed  the  seas  just  to  get  to  our  home.  They  spoke  directly  to  Father  and  you.”

“They  spoke  to  us  about  some  fairytale "power"  that  they  believe  you  possess.  That  is  no  reason  to  actually  trust  them  and  travel  to  their  supposed  “company”  with  them.”

Lano  gently  laid  his  palm  on  his  mother’s  shoulder.

“Mama,  I  realize  you  don’t  trust  those  men,  but  I  want  to  go.  I  want  to  see  what  the  world  is  like  outside  of  Bykanu  and  maybe,  just  maybe…  What  they’re  saying  is  true  and  if  it  is  then  maybe  I  can  use  it  to  save  father.”

Sadness  filled  the  woman’s  face,  but  she  began  to  nod  her  head  in  acceptance.

“Okay  Lano,  if  this  is  what  you  truly  want…  Then  you  have  my  support.”

A  smile  grew  on  Lano’s  face  as  he  stood  up.  He  turned  around  and  started  to  head  towards  their  home,  but  was  anchored  down  from  the  grasp  of  his  mother’s  hand.

“Just  be  careful.  Keep  an  eye  on  those  men  at  all  times.  After  having  lost  Hanko.  I  can’t  survive  losing  another  son.”

The  woman  gripped  Lano’s  arm  with  both  of  her  hands.  Lano  smiled  down  at  his  mother.  Her  complexion  was  old  and  tired,  yet  her  face  always  gave  off  a  sense  of  safety.

“I  know  and  you  will  never  lose  me,  Mama.  I  will  return  and  when  I  do…  I  will  have  a  way  to  heal  Father’s  sickness.”

The  woman  looked  at  her  son.  With  his  charcoal  hair  gently  brushing  in  the  wind  and  his  golden  brown  face  so  full  of  life.  She  could  see  that  unyielding  hope  and  strength  that  once  lived  inside  her  husband,  now  resting  inside  her  son.

“I  love  you,  my  sweet  child.  As  long  as  you  have  hope,  then  so  will  I.”

“I  love  you  too,  Mama.”

Lano  embraced  his  mother  in  one  final  hug.  After  what  felt  like  hours,  he  let  go  and  began  his  walk  towards  their  home.  The  fresh,  cool  wind  caressed  his  face  as  he  walked  along  the  shore.

The  soothing  sound  of  the  waves  creeping  up  and  down  the  sand  would’ve  been  enough  to  make  Lano  fall  asleep,  but  today  was  different.  Today;  he  would  leave  the  island.

After  a  short,  five  minute  walk,  Lano  reached  the  wooden  footpath.  It  led  up,  away  from  the  shore  and  towards  a  decently  sized  cabin.  The  walls  were  old  and  had  many  cracks  in  them,  but  like  wine,  it’s  age  only  made  the  cabin  look  more  beautiful.

Lano  stood  at  the  cherry  colored  door,  thinking  of  what  to  say.  Ever  since  the  offer  was  made  to  leave  Bykanu,  he  knew  that  his  father  would  be  resistant  to  it. 

He  reached  for  the  doorknob,  but  was  interrupted  by  the  sound  of  a  ringing.  He  looked  up  to  the  side  of  the  door,  where  a  little  golden  bell  hung.  The  breeze  swayed  it  from  side  to  side.

Lano  remembered  making  that  bell  with  Hanko,  six  years  ago.  They  loved  creating  things.  Toys,  wheels,  anything  that  they  could  make.  Even  at  the  age  of  ten,  Hanko  was  a  smart  inventor.  That  bell  was  the  last  thing  they  ever  made,  before  the  storm  hit.

Lano  focused  back  on  reality.  He  took  a  deep  breath  and  opened  the  door.

The  moment  he  walked  in,  the  scented  smell  of  strawberry  candles  assaulted  Lano’s  nose.

They  didn’t  have  a  need  to  get  much  from  the  mainland,  but  candles  were  something  that  his  mother  always  made  sure  were  in  good  supply.

He  walked  through  the  dimly  lit  hallway  and  into  the  kitchen.  The  house  always  remained  spotless.  Mother  would  not  tolerate  any  trash  lying  around,  but  ever  since  Lano’s  father  became  sick  they  had  to  have  things  cluttered  in  order  to  make  room  for  his  oxygen  tank.

“Father,  are  you  in  here?”

“No,  I’m  currently  swimming  in  the  ocean.”

A  raspy  voice  yelled  sarcastically from  the  room  over.

Lano  smiled  and  started  to  head  towards  the  living  room,  but  stopped  by  the  kitchen  table  and  took  a  quick  look  through  the  packets  stacked  upon  each  other.

Most  were  from  the  hospital  during  Father’s  last  visit

Lano  picked  up  one  of  the  doctor’s  reports.  Cancer  of  the  lungs,  stage  four  was  written  across  the  middle  of  it.  Those  were  the  words.  The  words  that  had  destroyed  his  father’s  hope.

He  sat  the  report  back  down  and  continued  to  head  into  the  living  room.  Forcing  the  sadness  from  his  face.  His  father  lost  hoped,  but  he  would  not  allow  himself  to  as  well.

“Lano!  I  was  figuring  you  would  come  in.”

The  man  motioned  his  son  to  take  a  seat  on  the  chestnut  brown,  cotton  sofa.

“Wait,  you  were  expecting  me?”

“Of  course  I  was.  I  might  not  be  as  healthy  as  I  used  to  be..”

His  words  were  cut  short  as  he  began  to  cough.  The  scratchy,  horrid  sound  shook  Lano  every  time  he  heard  it.

“Excuse  me.  Where  was  I?  Oh  right,  I  know  you  son.  You’ve  always  wanted  to  help  your  mother  and  I  even  when  we  don’t  need  it.  So  you  can  bet  that  when  those  men  landed  on  Bykanu,  and  said  how  you  may  possess  a  “power”  that  could  change  the  world.  I  knew  it  wouldn’t  be  long  until  you  came  to  tell  me  that  you’re  going  with  them  to  the  mainland.”

“I  didn’t  want  you  to  worry  Father.  I’m  leaving  today  and  I  promise  you  I’ll  return.”

The  man  reached  up  and  placed  his  hand  on  Lano’s  shoulder.  Lano  was  strong  from  living  on  the  island,  but  even  while  sick,  his  father  was  nearly  just  as  strong  as  him.

“I  don’t  worry  that  you  won’t  return.  I  worry  that  you’ll  waste  your  life  trying  to  find  a  way  to  save  me.  Those  doctors  gave  me  six  months  left.  I’ve  made  my  peace.  It’s  time  that  you  make  yours.”

Lano  forced  a  straight  look  on  his  face.  Any  slight  movement  would  have  caused  him  to  cry  and  that  was  something  he  refused  to  let  his  father  see.

“I  lo-  I  love  you,  father.”

“I  love  you  too,  son.  Now  you  go  out  into  the  world  and  you  live  a  life  worth  living,  you  understand?”

Lano  shook  his  head  in  agreement.

He  stood  up  from  the  couch  and  forced  himself  to  leave  the  living  room.  He  had  prepared  his  bags  last  night  and  had  them  sitting  by  the  door.  He  knew  it  would  be  hard  to  leave  his  home,  but  he  never  thought  it  would  be  so  painful.

His  first  step  onto  the  porch  brought  to  realization  the  true  weight  of  what  he  was  about  to  do.

He  was  a  second  away  from  dropping  his  bags  and  spending  the  last  few  months  with  his  father  and  mama,  but  his  determination  to  find  a  way  to  save  his  father  pushed  him  forward.

He  began  his  walk  to  the  far  end  of  the  island.  The  men  said  they  would  be  there  ready  to  pick  him  up  once  he  arrived.  Fear  began  to  settle  in,  but  it  was  outmatched  by  excitement.  Though  he  was  doing  this  for  his  father.  There  was  a  small  part  of  him  doing  this  for  himself  as  well.

After  walking  for  nearly  thirty  minutes.  Lano  arrived  at  the  edge  of  the  island,  where  a  sleek,  black  colored  helicopter  was  stationed.  A  snow  white  R/F  was  painted  on  the  side  of  the  aircraft.  Lano  had  seen  planes  and  such  fly  over  the  island  before,  but  this  is  the  closest  he’d  ever  been  to  one.

 Two  men  came  walking  from  around  the  helicopter.  Their  armored  suits  were  identically  black  and  had  the  same  R/F  logo  on  them.

“Lano,  it’s  great  to  see  that  you  decided  to  join  us.”

The  man  reached  out  his  hand  for  a  shake.  Lano  returned  the  gesture,  but  quickly  asked.

“I’m  sorry,  but  your  accent.  What  is…”

“Australian.  I  imagine  you’ve  probably  never  heard  a  voice  like  mine  before.”

Lano  shook  his  head.  

Spending  his  life  on  Bykanu  didn’t  really  offer  a  possibility  to  meet  different  people.

“Don’t  worry  mate.  You’ll  see  and  hear  new  things  that  you  never  knew  existed,  here  in  a  few  hours.”

The  man  started  opening  the  side  door  and  motioned  Lano  towards  him.

“My  name  is  Oliver  Richmond  by  the  way.  This  man  here  is  Tyson  Williams.”

Oliver  pointed  towards  the  other  armored  man.

“Gonna assume you already  met  those  guys  that  came  here  a  week  ago,  right?  Well  we’re  your  escort  team.  So  if  you’ve  got  everything  ready,  hop  aboard.”

Lano  stood  at  the  door  of  the  helicopter.  He  never  thought  he  would  leave  the  island.  A  part  of  him  never  and  still  doesn’t  want  to  leave. 

After  what  felt  like  an  eternity,  Lano  climbed  inside  and  sat  on one of the  smooth  seats.  His  eyes  were  overwhelmed  by  all  the  buttons  and  levers  at  the  front  of  the  aircraft. 

Oliver  climbed  in  behind  them  and  closed  the  side  door  before  sitting  down  across  from  Lano.  

Oliver  gave  a  thumbs  up  to  the  pilot  and  the  helicopter  began  to  lift  off.  Lano  quickly  reached  for  the  nearby  handle  and  heard  a  slight  laugh  from  Oliver.  

Lano  looked  out  of  the  window  and  could  see  the  entire  island.

Father,  Mama,  Hanko.  Every  fun  game  played.  Every  sunset  watched.  Every  good  and  bad  memory.  All  of  Lano’s  life  on  that  small  island  that  now  fits  within  his  sight. 

“So  mate,  are you  ready  for  this?”  Oliver  asked.

“Yeah,  but  there  is  one  question  I  have.”

Oliver  laid  back  into  the  seat  with  an  observant  look.

“I’ve  been  greeted  by  those  men  who  first  showed  up  at  the  island  and  told  us  about  me  having  some  sort  of  “power”.  Then  I  was  greeted  by  you  and  Tyson  and  am  currently  being  transported  with  you.”

“You're a smart one, mate.  So  what  exactly  is  your  question?”

Lano  thought  for  a  moment.

“Who  is this person  that  wants  to  see  me  so  badly?”

A  smirk  formed  on  Oliver’s  face  as  if  he  was  waiting  for  this  question.  He  looked  over  at  Tyson,  while  trying  to  figure  out  the  best  way  to  answer.

“Listen  Lano,  we  don’t  know  much  about  him  or  his  true  goal  for  anything  really.  We  were  only  sent  to  pick  you  up  and  nothing  more.”

Disappointed,  Lano  looked  out  of  the  window  at  the  vast  ocean  blue. 

After  a  few  moments  of  silence,  Oliver  leaned  forward  and  began  to  speak.

“There  is  one  thing  we  can  tell  you.”

Lano’s  attention  immediately  shifted  towards  Oliver  and  waited  for  him  to  continue.

“We  can  tell  you  his  name.”

Lano’s  focus  had  entirely  settled  on  him.

Oliver  paused  for  a  moment  to  think  if  he  should be saying anything at all. Then he began to speak.

“Alright.  His  name  is…”

“Mr. Reedsy”

Lano  sat  back  into  the  chair.

“Reedsy”  He  thought  to  himself. 

Lano  looked  back  out  of  the  window.  They  were  still  a  few  hours  out  and  he  had  a  lot  to  think  about.

March 04, 2021 22:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Nainika Gupta
23:21 Mar 04, 2021

Hey Jacob! This was a really good first submission! I loved the idea and the plot! I would just say to make sure you give it a re-read because of some grammar issues, but honestly, other than that, can't wait for more!

Reply

Jacob Rainey
00:04 Mar 09, 2021

Thank you very much... Means alot. I'm just happy that one person was able to read it..... Awesome job with your stories by the way. I want to be able to make amazing layouts of stories like you did with that "Android blending in human society" prompt. The way that story was laid out was awesome.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:25 Mar 09, 2021

Aw, thanks so much Jacob! :) Of course! It was awesome! AW, seriously, I'm crying :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dinendra AV
04:03 Apr 16, 2021

A great one, the grammar's really not a problem, you'll get the hang of it as you write more,try to work on your endings and maybe you could decrease the lag in the middle of your story and concentrate more on fleshing out the ending.. good luck!!

Reply

Jacob Rainey
14:36 Apr 16, 2021

Thank you. I'll work on improving my endings more and I very much appreciate you offering your advice. So again, Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Asha Pillay
12:15 Mar 10, 2021

Very nice, kept me interested till the last word.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hello Jacob! Welcome to Reedsy! I really enjoyed this story, the details were amazing! Great names as well! I agree with Nainika with the grammar but overall wonderful!

Reply

Jacob Rainey
16:23 Mar 09, 2021

Thank you Vimal. I really appreciate you reading this story and giving feedback. That means a whole lot to me. I’ll work better in improving grammar. Had you and Nainika not said anything, I wouldn’t have noticed any grammar issues.

Reply

Of course! U can call me Varsha BTW. NP! I love to help people! :))) We all need a little help at times. I would love it if u could check out my latest story.

Reply

Jacob Rainey
22:18 Mar 09, 2021

Absolutely! Will do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.