The ghost of my father

Submitted into Contest #103 in response to: Write about a character looking for a sign.... view prompt

17 comments

Adventure Mystery Fiction

There was a boy next to me. I was grossed and utterly disgusted boys are so horrendous always climbing trees and this boy was expeciantionly dirty he had mud in his nails. If I was his mum I would wack his behind so hard with cane he wouldn't be able to sit down for a week. The sound of a bomb had interrupted all the thoughts of him and instead my thoughts went to  gratefulness. My father had told me to think of grateful things even when things seemed to be the  worst. So I tried and listed all the things to be grateful for and the first thing that came to mind was that we had a bomb shelter because if we didn’t have a bomb shelter it won’t just be my father out there in the middle of a war. I don't remember what happened after that because I had fallen asleep. I found myself awake in my bed. I was so glad it was a dream. I went downstairs for breakfast. I saw my mum cooking the last rations we had. My mum just saw me she asked how scared I was last night and then I was having a adrenalin. Was It not a dream?! I looked at my mums face about to ask her if what happened last night was true but her face emotions did not look like normal. She realised I had noticed she turned away and grabbed a letter. Was she finned? She gave me it I read it. I asked her what it said and well this is what it stated Dear Mrs Kasz, I have to inform you about your husband. He is not present with the rest of the army at this moment. we all are thinking he was left at the battle grounds we give you our deepest sympathy and $25 for your daughter. Kind regards Australian  & New Zealand army. I was not going to let my father go missing without him or his body. I had had a massive crazy thought, though it was for the best of my family. if I was gone to look for my father and my mother would have to feed less people and I would get my father back,but if I was going to do this I would make sure my mum would be safe and not come. I can’t let a parent dye for me. I packed a bag with food and clothes for the long cold trip to the battlefields. I decided to leave when my mum was asleep so I grabbed my bag and ran down the steps and along the footpath as I was on the sidewalk I heard residents saying why is she out in this time and in this conditions. I ran and after an hour I was fully in a forest. I was brave never scared of the dark I got the braveness from my dad and the courage from my mum. I kept walking for 7 hours straight until I took a break I ate a bite out of a ANZAC biscuit I made for dad before we new about what happened. Then I was so tired I decided to have a nap so I put my bag on the ground as a pillow and I cleared up the area so there were no more sticks or bark. I layde down and fell asleep and in seconds was asleep dreaming of my dad playing with me in a field of daffodils Singing and Dancing but then my dream turned into a nightmare were the army were stealing him and taking him away from me. It woke me up in a flash. I ran so fast I couldn't see the trees proply they looked like a blur. I was stupid to run because a second later I hit a tree after I recovered I walked another 7 hours. I ended up at a big place I walked around confused where I was then what I saw I swear could have killed me if I hadn’t taken a drink. I had seen a real life dead body I had brung my favorite teddy to calm me down if I had  seen a body so I took the teddy out of my bag and cuddled it as hard as I could It was obvious now that it was the battle field. I screamed my lungs out calling for my father.He didn’t  answer I started to look for signs of him. I found no signs, but then my heart beat faster than the speed of light my blood rushing at 100 km per minute and I froze standing there a minute later taking one step so slow I was like a turtle. I took another step and another then froze again listening to my beating heart. thoughts rushed through my head it was like my brain wanted to vomit it just could not process this news all my brain told me was that it was a  dream but I was too stressed to listen I at the exact moment wish I never had come I bent down so slow I think nobody could even see me moving I touched the body of my father then I hugged tighter than I had. Wishing I had done this before a single tear dropped from my face spilling onto my fathers making it seem like he was crying. I processed this in and stopped crying. I looked around and saw a note. I looked at the note. Who was it for? A new wife it better not I read it was a letter for me it read Dear my special monkey, I wish you were here you would have bring joy and happiness when everything was down you are amazing to me and my one and only daughter. I hope this letter makes it to you tell your mother I am doing well and don’t stop smiling for her you are amaz- It stopped there I read it over and over wetting the page with tears and soaking my hand with tears of love. Why today? Why any day? Why at all? I was glad I got to hear his final words. I had to go home now. I thought and thought trying to figure out what to do with his body,so I decided to drag him to the nearest river I grabbed his army shirt and walked slowly. While I was doing that I talked about my life story like he was there to listen. When I finally got to the river I walked down the stream and found a waterfall about 8 meters high I said my last goodbyes and dropped him down the waterfall I watched as his body jumped around like jelly until it hit the water. I sat and prayed that he was in a better place. Then I turned around to go home but then I saw a slight glow it said I love you willow and I will look after you as you go through your years and I will be waiting for you  to come and live with me in heaven. I walked hour after hour trying to get home. I had walked and walked and I was starting to get lost. What will happen to me If I can’t get home? I rested a while then walked back to the battle field and decided to retrace my steps. I started retracing my steps when I heard someone coming wait not someone lots of people a war. I ran and hid staying there freezing trying not to die why did I do this what will I do? I stood and stood than I ran and hid behind a bush. A guy was coming close to me I saw his badge he was on the Australian side so I went up to him my guts were tied but I still went up trying not to scare him so he would not shoot me. I asked him can you help me? He took my arm and grabbed me dragging me to a hiding spot. Then he told me were to go I followed his directions and I ended up at a truck of people. I went up to the Driver and I told him what I was doing he said he would take me back home and he did. I was so relieved he took me home. We I got home I ran out and hugged my mum and told her everything. The next day we had a quick funeral and we buried a plaque and his note because the body was gone then me and my mum hugged at that moment I heard my dad whisper in my ear the words I LOVE YOU.

July 23, 2021 09:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Mads Sherion
07:12 Jul 29, 2021

Hi, this is nice! I got tangled with the story life of the family during the war. I was drowned in it that I wished the mom could've seen his husband's body which was thrown in the river by his daughter. And I kinda like the main character. I just think there are few grammatical errors, and spellings. But it can be sure to improve overtime or days of writing and writing, I know you will. Because, like you, I still got a lot to learn in writing. And if I may, I would suggest inserting more commas, and periods/dots, for better delivery of y...

Reply

07:31 Jul 30, 2021

Thank you so much for the help

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jon R. Miller
10:09 Jul 28, 2021

This was an amazing experience to read. Excellent! :>

Reply

23:45 Jul 28, 2021

thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:45 Jul 28, 2021

thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:45 Jul 28, 2021

thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 5 replies
Austin Shea
04:40 Jul 28, 2021

amazing i love it should get like 100,000,000 like so make that happen people make her dream come true🤪😜 also comment bye✌️

Reply

Show 0 replies
09:16 Jul 23, 2021

Hope you like

Reply

Austin Shea
04:40 Jul 28, 2021

hi

Reply

04:41 Jul 28, 2021

hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:41 Jul 28, 2021

hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:41 Jul 28, 2021

hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 6 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.