43 comments

Adventure Christian Inspirational

Secrets That We Keep

It was a hard life. No one said it was going to be easy. We chose it for ourselves. There was no going back. We made a commitment. Now we had to live up to it.

At first it seemed surreal. We had heard about something, someone, that would someday come along and change our world. Could it be possible this was truly it? Is this what our ancestors have been foretelling and preparing us for our whole lives? Could it be happening in our lifetime?

Most of our folks weren't sure either. They thought we were foolish youths simply trying to shirk our duties, ignoring what needed to be done at home, delaying becoming productive members of the community. Sneaking around, meeting in secret, playing like we were important keepers of ancient truths. Unwilling to share facts but alluding to some impact filled event that would shatter all formerly known beliefs.

First of all we had to spend a great deal of time simply learning. It was more intense than being in a school room. We had to eat and breath and live with our leader the whole time. Give up our professions, give up our possessions, leave our families. Get along with each other no matter how diverse we were.

And we were different. Even though mostly from the same linage we all had our faults and our prejudices. We came from different backgrounds and social standings. Somehow we needed to recognize we were now all in the same boat. Wealth meant nothing. We all became beggars relying on the goodness of others to provide for our basic needs.

We aspired to be like our leader. He had no favorites. The ones that wanted to be held as greater than another needed to humble themselves and become the least. That was a difficult lesson to learn especially if one was used to being the oldest wisest brother in his family. Someone everyone was expected to look up to. That status didn't hold a candle to the wisdom imparted by our unassuming mentor.

When we began we sought to meet in secret. Behind closed doors. Curtains drawn. Room lit only by candlelight. Or out away from the city altogether. In dells, behind groves of trees, beyond prying eyes. Time would come soon enough to share our growing knowledge.

There was no doubt we needed to be careful. The oppressive government forces we lived under were always on the lookout for subversive activities. Soldiers patrolled and spies could be implanted anywhere. Even our protective local authorities who should have been supportive and understanding of our ultimate mission showed tendencies of jealousy and mistrust.

Rules, rules, rules. Every which way you turned you were in danger of breaking someone's rules. Why even merely feeding one's self could be a punishable offense if not staying in the bounds of strict bylaws!

Change was needed. Change was coming. We were armed with the truth. We were ready to be heard.

Miraculously, when the word started leaking out people were drawn to it like bees to honey. Hungry for hope, hopeful for relief. Help and healing could be had simply for believing the best was still to come.

Overwhelming floods of humanity converged on our small band of students expecting us to be the teachers. So teach we did. We taught the new rules laid out by the leader. Simple, common sense rules designed so all could live in harmony.

All along the way our taskmaster taught us more. Sometimes he used riddles, little stories to make us think for ourselves to see how the lesson would apply to our daily lives and remain timeless for future generations. Sometimes it seemed he could read what was in our hearts, knew when we understood or were still struggling to grasp the concept.

Sometimes he appeared to be so much more than a man yet that was hard to believe. After all I saw him get angry, I saw tears in his eyes. I knew when he was hungry or needed a rest.

But he was a powerhouse. Endured so much pressure even from folks that knew him well. Once when we visited his home town he made the priest in charge angry when he pointed out a fact. We had to spirit him away for fear of his life. The townsmen even pulled out a rope they were so upset with him.

After that it seemed he was always trying to prepare us for his death. Like he could predict it. Knew how it was going to come about and how we would be affected. And how it would then be up to us to carry on with his message.

Later on he pulled me and a couple other fellows out of our larger group and led us up a mountain side. There the strangest thing happened. I'm not pulling your leg here. It was mind blowing and awesome.

We were tired from the climb and resting up. We awoke to blinding light. It was coming from our master's face! And his clothes shone an extreme whiteness, too. Can't really describe it. Like nothing we had ever seen or can compare to. Suddenly he was talking to two other guys. They hadn't come with us so where did they come from and who were they? What did it all mean?

I don't know how but it came to us these fellows were from the past. Long, long ago. Moses, who gave our people the laws we follow, and Elijah, a prophet that never died but was taken up in a cloud.

I was dumbfounded. All I could think to say was something like, “It's good we are here. I wish we could stay here forever. If you want, I will put up three shelters. One for you, one for Moses, one for Elijah.”

Suddenly, a loud voice came from the heavens, “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him.”

The three of us fell with faces to the ground in awe. When Jesus touched us we looked up and saw He was alone and back to normal. But He warned us not to tell anyone else of this event until after His death.

If there was ever any doubt as to whom this teacher truly was it was put to rest on that mountain side. He was indeed true man yet true God. The promised Messiah sent to save the world.

June 06, 2024 21:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

43 comments

Lovely Otter
21:36 Jun 16, 2024

Amazing writing!! Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life! 🤍

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:53 Jun 17, 2024

Got that right! Thanks for liking, commenting and following.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
13:27 Jun 14, 2024

Wonderful job of humanizing the faith struggle. And without dialogue — a tough feat to accomplish. You’d do well in a pastorate.👍❤️

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:55 Jun 14, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:28 Jun 12, 2024

Nicely done, Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:26 Jun 12, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
18:49 Jun 11, 2024

I love where you went with this prompt, Mary 😊

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:59 Jun 11, 2024

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:39 Jun 11, 2024

Very creative, Mary. I really enjoyed it.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:59 Jun 11, 2024

🙏 thanks so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
16:22 Jun 11, 2024

The creative way the story is told, as it unfolds, makes this special story concept immerse the reader. It delivers deep inspiration to the reader. Unique approach and beautifully written!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:59 Jun 11, 2024

Thank you 🙏 very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
23:37 Jun 10, 2024

This is sincerely beautiful writing, Mary. You have touched this avowed atheist's cold black heart.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:05 Jun 11, 2024

Does that mean it has been scorched?

Reply

TE Wetzel
07:38 Jun 11, 2024

Many times...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
VJ Hamilton
22:05 Jun 10, 2024

This started off as a timeless piece -- "It was a hard life" -- and I wondered whether this story was set in past, present or future. "Somehow we needed to recognize we were now all in the same boat" drew me in further. It is a simple, clear retelling of the early, difficult days of following Christ. Thanks for showing this in a different light!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:00 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you. Figured that boat was a clear clue.😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
15:39 Jun 10, 2024

Messiah still being awaited by some. Some welcomed a different one from their kind and the result is: from the sea to Mars, so so shall be free. Fine work here.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:21 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
09:34 Jun 10, 2024

Mary, your story is a beautifully crafted piece. It captures the essence of faith and the transformative power of belief. Your portrayal of the disciples’ journey and the vivid depiction of the Transfiguration is both enlightening and inspiring. It’s a wonderful reminder of the enduring strength of spiritual truths. Fantastic work!🌟

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:15 Jun 10, 2024

Thank you so much! 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
21:13 Jun 09, 2024

Beautiful job describing Jesus's Transfiguration. Good reminder of how dangerous this was for the early disciples. :) Love it.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:44 Jun 09, 2024

Thank you. So glad you love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
16:19 Jun 09, 2024

I always admire you for writing about matters of faith, Mary. It’s important to be held together by beliefs, even more important in troubled times. Well done.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:31 Jun 09, 2024

Thanks for the support. Not trying to beat someone over the head only hopefully planting a few seeds.😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
14:34 Jun 09, 2024

I knew what you were writing about from halfway through the first paragraph. This was a brilliant insight into what the disciples might've felt like. I really liked this angle on the Transfiguration, I've never really thought of it like that. :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:28 Jun 09, 2024

Glad you liked it and figure it out so soon. You are way too smart!! 🤓

Reply

Annie Persson
11:17 Jun 10, 2024

Haha! I don't know about that.... ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
07:33 Jun 09, 2024

Glad to see you are still here! Lots of the people I used to follow seem to be gone. Like I was for six months! This is lovely writing. I didn't pick up on the identity of the group until it was revealed so I was captivated by the mystery. I'm trying to write again. Been through a rough patch and dropped into a bad frame of mind but climbing out slowly. I think writing is the key. I probably wouldn't recommend reading the one I posted this week. It's my first real attempt at something in ages and was rushed so I don't think it works in t...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:05 Jun 09, 2024

Glad you liked this piece. Wanted to keep the group secret. Wrote it for two places to enter. Maybe could of, should of been longer. I have been threatening to take a break ever since I reached a year because I still have work to do getting that book out there but I must be addicted. I have said the same thing about several weekly themes lately but still hatch out something. Sorry to hear you were struggling so, glad you are feeling better. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
02:51 Jun 08, 2024

I forget how the disciples might have been seen by others during their time - like they had joined a cult. Follow Jesus is now a mantra, but was once a risk. Keep following, you're doing a great job.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:15 Jun 08, 2024

Thanks. You, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
22:49 Jun 07, 2024

Whether or not there is truth in this work of fiction, our secrets aren't secrets if we write about them, I guess. And writing secrets can be the hardest thing we ever do. I know. I'm taking one or two of them to the grave.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Lewis
17:59 Jun 07, 2024

Your piece "Secrets That We Keep" is compelling and pulls the reader right into this secretive, transformative journey. You kick things off with a sense of mystery and commitment, which is awesome. The leader is well fleshed out - wise and humble. You do a good job describing the secret meetings. The oppressive government angle adds necessary tension. The story flows well. The transfiguration scene is powerful. You’ve crafted a thoughtful and engaging story about faith, sacrifice, and revelation. Keep up the great work!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:06 Jun 07, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:19 Jun 07, 2024

Splendid work here, Mary ! You wrote such a fresh perspective on a timeless story. Great flow to this too. Wonderful !

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:04 Jun 07, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:02 Jun 07, 2024

Reger Matthew 17 for rest of the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:25 Jun 07, 2024

The privilege they had to see this sight (Transfiguration) helped them endure after their Teacher's death. It is one of the few places God actually spoke and clearly identified Himself as Jesus father. I quickly realized you wrote this story about the early Christians. (Didn't read the hashtag at the start) They were horribly persecuted back then. I wrote to this prompt as well. You nailed it.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:22 Jun 07, 2024

Sometimes when something immediately comes to mind that's what you have to write about. Forgot to credit the verse. MATTHEW 17:4 I also am submitting this to another place that wanted secret societies and a rope mentioned. I may have taken liberty about rope.

Reply

02:00 Jun 08, 2024

The rope mention was unobtrusive. But one other thing to think about. The Scribes and Pharisees had rule upon rule and contingency upon contingency. Jesus condemned them for this as well as hypocrisy. What Jesus taught were principles and balance for people's lives. He told the parables which made people think of lessons they could learn from them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.