33 comments

Drama Friendship Funny

Brett gasped when they got to the top of the hill. He saw the entire valley, filled with stoic evergreens, severe rock formations, and the sparkling lake. And there in the sky, to welcome them, a vulture which he mistook for an eagle. He was so moved he immediately turned around and took a selfie.

“Oh my god!” Brett said. “Isn’t this place amazing!?

Chuck swatted a mosquito, and then another one. He grabbed ahold of his shorts and jerked them around, and then buried his hands in them to better adjust his boxers. He grimaced at all the sweat, and felt like a moist oven.

“Yeah,” he said, “whatever.”

“Oh my god!” Brett said, snapping a shot of the vulture, and then applying an epic filter to it. “I’m feeling so spiritual right now, dude.”

Chuck swatted another mosquito, and then his eyes widened when he saw how steep the other side of the hill was. “Okay,” he said. “We saw the stupid thing. Let’s get back to the trail and the resort.” When he looked behind him all the trees looked similarly unfamiliar. They hadn’t wandered far, but the trail lady said not to wander from the trail, like, at all.

“Dude!” Brett said. “C’mon! We’re out in nature here. Isn’t this way better than the smelly city?”

“No.”

“Aw, c’mon!”

“Look, you said there’d be hot tubs and all-day happy hour, and a bunch of loose girls at the resort. You said it’d be like Mardi Gras. That’s the vacation I signed up for. Not this hippie bush shit.” He swatted yet another bug, slapping himself in the face in the process.

“Oh man, if you’d just stop going all Adolf for one second–”

“–What!? How am I going all Adolf–”

“–then you might appreciate just how restful this is!”

Chuck sighed, closed his eyes, and massaged his temples. A stress-ache, just like at work. Brett shook his head, and then turned back to the valley and grinned. How could anyone not be inspired by this sight?

“It’s just,” Brett said, “I see that view and think, I’m wasting my life in the office. Like, I could just paint away all the world’s worries, you know? Like with a happy little cloud or something.”

“I don’t even know what that means. And anyway, all you do is brag how awesome your job is.”

“That’s before we came here,” Brett said. “It’s sucking the life out of me. C’mon, please. Just trust me. How about this, we’ll go back to the resort, and I’ll even cover all your drinks tonight, but first we just head down to that lake.”

“Forget it!”

“Just to see it! It looks so pristine and serene and stuff. Like it’s magical.”

Chuck shook his head. “I don’t believe this. The hike is bad enough, but now you actually want to go into Cannibal Valley?”

“What?” Brett said. Then he stuttered a couple times, not sure of what he wanted to say, so he settled on, “Dude.”

“Yeah, that’s what it’s called.”

“No way. How do you know?”

Chuck pulled the trail pamphlet out of his back pocket. “It says so right here.” He pointed to it.

“Oh. Well, whatever. I don’t care, and I want to see the lake. C’mon, it’ll just be like one more hour, tops. And then I’ll cover your drinks tonight.”

Chuck glared at his friend. “You’ll cover them for the rest of the trip.”

“Dude!”

“Or I walk.”

Brett shook his head. “Fine.”

They started down the other side of the hill, to the alluring lake with its still water.

“Why do you think they call it Cannibal Valley?” Brett asked.

Chuck’s eyebrows startled. “Why do you think they call it Cannibal Valley?”

“Oh, c’mon man. There’s no way.”

Chuck passed him the pamphlet, filled with the region’s gruesome history, and a rundown of the TV specials and movies it spawned. This included no fewer than seven art house films which were critically acclaimed and largely panned by audiences.

“Pfft,” Brett said. “Didn’t come here to read.”

Chuck shrugged. They walked and chatted about random topics from their long, shared history, recounting times at school and bars, video games played, and memorable highs. Before long they came to a large rock jutting out of a small hill. It was slanted and peeked just above the trees.

“Oh, that’s awesome!” Brett said. “C’mon, let’s climb it!” He made for the base of the rock.

“What?”

“Don’t be a pussy.”

Chuck’s face reddened, but he followed his friend. He hesitated at the rock. It had been a long time since he’d done any real physical exercise, but the climb looked gentle enough, and the rock was gouged with what might be convenient hand and foot holds. And besides, Brett was managing just fine.

“Okay,” Chuck whispered to himself, and then he started climbing. He was so focused he didn’t realize when he got to the top, where it flattened out a bit. He rose on shaky legs, beside Brett.

And this time Chuck gasped. It was like standing on a tiny island in a sea of tree tops. He felt the warmth of the sun and an exhilarating cool from the breeze, and the mixture made his skin tingle.

Brett held his arms out into the sky. “Simba!” he shouted. “I am your father!”

“I don’t think that’s the line.”

“Close enough. You gotta learn to chill, man.” Then Brett’s footing slipped. He exclaimed, flailed his arms, then fell on his butt and tumbled back down the rock. When he hit the bottom he let out a terrible wail.

Chuck’s pulse quickened. He scrambled down as fast as he could without a catastrophic fall of his own. Moving with purpose made it easier, and again he got there sooner than he expected. He saw Brett sitting on the ground, rocking back and forth and holding his right arm with his left. He intermittently wailed and hissed.

“Oh my god, what happened?” Chuck asked, crouching. “Are you all right?”

“Fuck! I think I broke my elbow!” Brett shouted.

Chuck looked at the elbow Brett was cradling. The skin was gently scraped.

“You’re not even bleeding,” Chuck said.

“I hit my funny bone! It really hurts!”

“Oh my god,” Chuck muttered, getting to his feet.

“I’m dying!”

“No, you’re not.”

“It’s the worst thing I’ve ever – oh, wait, it’s going away.” Brett tested his elbow, winced a bit, and then got up too. “Yeah, it’s better now.”

“Such a baby.”

“I could have died!” Then Brett dusted off his shorts and found that not only were they smeared with moss, but they had torn too. “Damn it! The rock ruined my shorts!”

Chuck rolled his eyes, and then again when Brett kicked the rock to punish it.

“So,” Chuck said. “Did you still want to go to the lake? Or did you want to head back?”

“Lake!” Brett said, and he stomped back in the direction he assumed they were walking before.

He assumed incorrectly.

They spent the next two or so hours wandering aimlessly through the woods. Brett was certain the lake was “just around the corner” every few minutes, and when it wasn’t, he changed direction. Chuck offered the odd word of complaint, but he was distracted by the things the woods offered. Every few feet was a colourful new plant, or a strange pack of mushrooms – Brett laughed when he saw that “these ones look like cocks!” and then took more selfies, and Chuck chuckled – or an old tree whose bark held imaginative shapes. Once he saw a deer in the distance just looking at them, before it bolted.

And then there were the smells. Everything smelled so fresh in the woods. The aroma of pine was heavy in the air, and not-at-all like a cheap car freshener. There were all sorts of familiar scents and new ones, and his nose tingled when it stumbled upon something striking.

“Oh! Oh!” he said. “Do you smell that!”

“Yeah,” Brett said, wiping his shoe against a log with a grimace. “The floor is covered in shit.”

“No, no, I smell gin!”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

Chuck followed his nose to a patch of shrubs covered in green needles. “These!” he said. “Gin trees! Gin bushes? C’mon, don’t you smell that? It’s the same smell.”

Brett sneezed and gave the junipers a wide berth.

After another hour of walking, when they took a break and Brett went off to relieve himself, Chuck discovered a giant ant hill. He kept his distance and watched the little beasts working, initially with trepidation. They were nothing but pests back at home, but here, there was an alluring order to their activity. How could such tiny creatures organize such giant projects, all without even being able to speak? Or maybe ants had an ant language. He was mesmerized by the tightly controlled chaos, where everyone did what they were meant to, and were happy to do it. And he wondered… was he really doing what he was meant to be doing? He certainly couldn’t say he was happy.

Then Brett burst forth from the bushes and stepped right into the ant hill.

“Oh shit!” Chuck shouted. “Ants!”

“What?” said Brett. Then he started leaping, slapping, and shouting “Ah! Fuck! Get it off!”

It took ten minutes for them to get the ants off, and another twenty to convince Brett of the fact. His legs, and parts of his arms, were covered in tiny red bites, and he alternated between grousing and swearing.

“I hate these goddamned woods,” he said.

“Did you want to head back, or–”

“–Lake!”

As Brett was distracted with his grumbling, Chuck led the way. Not turning every few minutes, and thereby going in circles, he eventually led them to the shore. By then the sun was nearly setting.

“Oh my god,” Brett said, “this itches so bad. I’m going for a swim.”

“Uh,” said Chuck, “is that a good idea?”

Brett ignored him, stripped, and ran into the lake. Chuck found a rock to sit on and dipped his feet in the water. Then as the sun began sinking below the rim of the valley, he heard the haunting call of distant loons. He saw a group of them out on the water, which – Brett’s splashing notwithstanding – was flat as a table.

With the reflection of the dying sun, it looked like the loon silhouettes were floating on fire, and the juxtaposition sent a chill down his spine. It’s like the scene was trying to tell him a deeper message about life – about the choices people make, how much effort they spend on superficial things, on ignoring and denying what truly mattered – and there was a fundamental gift of wisdom, which he just might discern if he focused.

Then Brett screamed, “Gator!

He splashed up a storm as he fled to the shore, screaming it over and over. The loons took flight, as did most other animals within earshot. Chuck stepped into the water to help his friend out, keeping an eye out for a gator and poignantly ignoring what he might do about it if he saw it, because that’s what friends did.

But he didn’t see anything chasing Brett. Though, there was something bobbing up and down nearby. When it floated close enough he picked it up, and turned to Brett who was shivering on the shore.

“Did you mean this driftwood?”

“It’s a fucking gator!” Brett said. “It was huge!”

Chuck waved the soggy stick around with an arched brow, and then the wood came apart and splashed into the water.

“I hate this lake!” Brett said, on the point of tears.

Chuck looked at his friend, nude and shivering, and frowned.

“What are you looking at?” Brett said, covering himself. “Pervert.”

“What are those black things on your skin?”

Brett examined himself. He discovered he was covered in thumb-sized black lumps, and when he touched one he found it was slimy and rubbery both. And then it clicked. “Leeches!” he shouted. And then he screamed animal noises.

By the time Chuck managed to help him get rid of the last of the twenty-something leeches, Brett was shivering and crying. The sun was also almost gone.

“I hate this place,” Brett muttered. “I hate forests. I want to go home. I want a shower, and reality TV, and frozen dinners.”

“Put your clothes on, dummy. You’ll freeze.”

“Let’s go home, Chuck. Please?”

Chuck looked around, but all he knew was that they were beside the lake. There were no signs leading to the resort, no visible paths, no trace of other humans. Even if there were, the idea of wandering the woods at night didn’t seem like a great one.

“I’m afraid of cannibals,” Brett muttered, shivering in his clothes.

Just then, Chuck noticed a flash further up the shore. The last of the sun’s light glinting on something. Metal, maybe? Glass? It wasn’t the water in any case, and hopefully it was some sign of civilization.

“C’mon,” he said, “this way.”

“We’re lost, aren’t we?” Brett said. “I don’t want to die.”

“We’re not going to die, buddy.” He wrapped his arm around Brett’s shoulders, alarmed at how much he was shivering. Despite that, there was something comforting about being of real use to someone. Something that transcended spreadsheets and emails. A vague memory of once wanting to be a rescue helicopter pilot stirred in his mind.

As dusk muffled the woods around them, they came to the site of the reflection he had seen. It was the window of a rickety cabin, barely bigger than a one-car garage. Piles of junk were strewn around it, though it was too dark to make most of it out. One of those ubiquitous picnic tables. Maybe an old mower? A heap of rotting oars.

“Where are we?” Brett asked, his teeth chittering.

“Shelter.”

Chuck tried the door but found it was stuck. He rammed it with his shoulder and it gave, old wood groaning against ancient wood.

“Oh my god!” said Brett. “Is this a cannibal cabin? I don’t want to die!”

Chuck ushered him inside. “It’s not a cannibal cabin. Relax.”

He turned on his phone’s flashlight app and scanned the room, and then gasped. There was a table and some chairs, an old couch, and some miscellaneous junk scattered about, including a high-visibility life jacket – not exactly cannibal fare. But what made him grin was an old-style iron stove, and the neatly stacked pile of firewood beside it.

Brett complained and worried about everything while Chuck worked, but Chuck just humoured him. Soon enough he had a fire going and the small building filled with pleasant heat and bright orange light. Brett warmed up and quieted down, and eventually fell asleep on the couch. Chuck took the opportunity to dig through some of the papers scattered on the table.

There were some work logs, some manuals, some training materials – he figured this must have been some sort of rangers’ cabin. Rangers or another kind of forest worker, anyway. There was a map on the wall which showed the lake and the little town near the resort. A spot right by the lake was circled with marker, and labelled Callum’s Cabin. If that was the place they were now, it looked like there was a path nearby they could take in the daylight.

Then he found a dog-eared book called The History of Callum’s Cabin, which indeed confirmed it had once been owned by the infamous cannibals. He chuckled, and figured he’d give Brett a good fright in the morning.

Then the training materials caught his eye. One glossy sheet specifically, with a cartoon owl on it. The owl had a speech bubble outlining all the great perks of working for the service, and he stared at it long and hard.

And then he jotted down the phone number.

November 08, 2022 23:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Rebecca Miles
15:00 Nov 09, 2022

Throw two people together, completely different outlooks on the great outdoors and there's bound to be a lot of fun dialogue to enjoy. Your figurative work is pitch-comic-perfect: "He grimaced at all the sweat, and felt like a moist oven". That simile should win a medal all by itself! I feel I have a few years on these two awaiting the Mardi Gras rather than mosquitoes out on the trail, but I can relate to Brett: I feel like him whenever I drag my reluctant kids to the mountains!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Nov 09, 2022

Heh, thanks Rebecca! I came back to edit this story a day after I wrote it, and I had this great idea to create a verb out of "jungle" to describe the sweat thing, but then I saw I had put moist oven there - had to leave it :) There will be other opportunities for "jungling" in the future. I like when people with opposed POVs - firm ones - get thrown together. Lots of room for conflict. Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
11:36 Nov 10, 2022

Nothing like a bit of wordplay. Jungling definitely deserves an outing. Perhaps in a moist oven of a rainforest ,-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
14:26 Nov 09, 2022

Wow I loved these characters. Brett cracked me up! The beginning sets up their personalities nicely with how Brett is super inspired and emotional but immediately pulls out his phone for a selfie! He definitely seems to be trying to be someone he isn't, while Chuck seems to be himself the whole way through...though if I'm understanding correctly, in the end he finds he does enjoy the forest as he jots down the ranger trainings number? As both a Lion King and Star Wars lover, I got a huge laugh out of that line, Simba, I am your father! Y...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:46 Nov 09, 2022

Thanks, Anne Marie! Yeah, I had this idea that one of them was excited and the other dour, but that they'd gradually flip over the course of the story. In both cases, the woods aren't what they expected, I suppose. And yeah, leeches are just super :( I'm glad the Simba/father line worked out! I was actually worried it'd be too obtuse a mashup, but a number of people have pointed out they enjoyed it. I suppose neither of those stories are in any way obscure :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:24 Nov 09, 2022

The Simba/father line absolutely worked out. Always trust your mashup instincts! This might be one of my favorite pieces by you. It's funny, contemporary, which are both right up my alley! Wishing you luck this week (well next week) in the contest!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:11 Nov 09, 2022

OMG, Simba, I am your father! I loved these characters. My only feedback on this one is the time jumps felt a little jarring to me. "They got lost", and "later... " they are clearly needed to move the story, maybe just need a bit of a rework, they just felt odd.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:49 Nov 09, 2022

Thanks, Jaden! Very useful to know when something is jarring. I'll see if I can smooth those out. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KarLynn Erickson
01:09 Nov 09, 2022

Your imagination is so vivid and your writing comes out so clear! Great job! This was a wild ride of friends. One always complains and another finds his way in life!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:51 Nov 09, 2022

Thanks! Yeah, I liked the interplay of excitement/complaining too. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
10:29 Nov 10, 2022

I really liked the role reversal between the two friends, and I found the dialogue very realistic. The story was great! It felt like a modern re-telling of 'Don Quixote' in three thousand words or less. Not a bad thing, right? The last line reminded me of the short stories of Chekov. I'm torn between thinking it a master stroke or something that jars my senses because it doesn't feel right. That's what Chekov's short stories always did to me. Can Chuck really have such a different attitude towards the great outdoors so quickly? Do people re...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:35 Nov 10, 2022

Thank you, Delbert! Your feedback's made my day :) To be honest, I'm not sure which it is either, with the end. No doubt Chuck had a more positive day than Brett, and a much more positive one than he initially expected. And perhaps he's dissatisfied with his normal life. Is it enough for a major life change? Or perhaps he's only riding the high of experiencing something new. I appreciate you leaving your thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Calm Shark
02:43 Nov 10, 2022

I wish I had a friendship like this. Man would it be fun. Anyways, you have a way of flowing the dialogue greatly and the way you write is easy to understand. The words fuse together and they come out nicely. Appreciate the stories coming in!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Nov 10, 2022

Thanks, Shark! I've definitely struggled with clunky prose, so it means a lot to hear that I've improved. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
11:20 Nov 09, 2022

A nice coming of rage story about two men that have alternating opinions about nature.

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:23 Nov 09, 2022

"coming of rage" love that :) Thanks for your feedback and insight, Tommy! I appreciate the edits.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Allen
13:05 Nov 15, 2022

I love the journey (s) that these characters went on. Both taking the same path through the woods but travelling in totally different directions regarding their outlook on life. Really nice story.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Nov 15, 2022

Thanks, Daniel! I think sometimes my characters don't change enough in a story, so this time all characters changed :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Bell
05:07 Nov 15, 2022

I think Brett clearly had the more profound experience here. Stripped naked, bloodied and bashed, sucked and bitten, bamboozled and terrified, Brett embraces Nature in all her raw, gamey glory. His journey smacks of ancient ritual and sacred marriage. Chuck, on the other hand, preserves a wary and somewhat precious distance. He sublimates his initial snarky hostility, turning it into lofty musings which serve the same purpose of keeping Nature at arm's length. His epiphany centers on, yawn, a possible job change. He's yet to even hear, let a...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Nov 15, 2022

Ha! I love this take! Brett does seem to hit the extremes more, where Chuck is the safe moderate. Do you dive into life blindly and without apology, or do you take a plodding, calculated approach? Their lives and attitudes might have changed, but I wonder if their fundamental approach to things has. Thanks for the feedback, Jack!

Reply

Jack Bell
23:43 Nov 15, 2022

I sure hope Brett doesn't change his approach. He could end up a Shaman or a stand-up-comic, essential seers always in short supply.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:04 Nov 15, 2022

I like the transition of the character from adding a filter to an already beautiful view ... to fear of a cannibal cabin and death. Could have even been more extreme- the beauty of nature during the day to the fear of nature in the dark. Great story!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Nov 15, 2022

Thanks, Marty! Great point! The woods at night are a very different world, after all. I think that's why Chuck had the sense to seek shelter, but night-forest would definitely be (and has often been) a great setting for a horror.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
17:35 Nov 12, 2022

We all know that Brett who is so eagerly pushing to do something and then ends up hating it! You portrayed his arc well, with his determination to keep going at first before it all got too much for him. His character, who at first seemed like the more friendly optimistic one, was revealed to be superficial with his bluster, photo filters and fickleness. Chuck on the other hand seems grumpy and miserable to begin with (nicely encapsulated by how all he notices is the sweat and mosquitoes), but develops into a deeper character who looks after...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:03 Nov 13, 2022

Thanks Edward! Yup, I'm sure we all know someone like that :) In fact, I suspect I've been both Brett and Chuck at different points. It was fun putting them together, and I'm glad you liked it. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophia Gavasheli
15:03 Nov 12, 2022

Aww! Awesome character development in this story, Michal! At first, Brett is the one admiring the view and at peace, but he soon starts to complain and whine revealing his true cowardly character. Chuck meanwhile, complains at first, but as he hikes, the nature around him teaches him lessons about himself and life, allowing him to progress as a character. I love the Chuck-Brett dynamic and your descriptions of the woods are great as well, especially the ant hill. I hope Chuck finds his calling in life by becoming a ranger!

Reply

Michał Przywara
16:13 Nov 13, 2022

Yup, you got it :) I'm glad those two parallel stories came through, and that it was an enjoyable read. I think it's fitting, if two people go on an adventure, they both get something out of it. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
07:26 Nov 11, 2022

Michal, This one started out on such a hilarious note but progressively became a 'coming of age' experience for Chuck, who ironically was opposed to deviating from the set path in the beginning. Maybe it was a transforming experience for him once he started mindfully looking at things as they were, vis-a-vis Brett whose romanticised notions of nature and beauty eroded quickly with his inattentive and rash behaviour. I liked how you turned the prompt on its head by giving that memorable line in the first paragraph-'He was so moved he immedia...

Reply

Michał Przywara
18:30 Nov 11, 2022

I think you nailed it, with the mindful-vs-romanticised points of view. That's definitely the kind of thing I was angling for, with expectations vs reality, and I'm thrilled it came through :) I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the feedback, Suma!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
13:02 Nov 10, 2022

Michal, Chuck became an inadvertent convert to the outdoors. It's always nice to discover that you like something you thought you wouldn't. Poor Brett. No doubt he'll never leave the city again. Funny and poignant. Well done.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Nov 10, 2022

Thanks for dropping by, Chris! Yeah, bit of a reversal in attitudes for both :) It's pretty often that something doesn't turn out the way we expect, isn't it? I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
11:43 Nov 10, 2022

Funny friendship drama are the perfect tags for this one, Michal. I was struck by a possible fourth one, "romantic," due to the dialogue: could Chuck and Brett be catty lovers as well? Not that it would add or subtract to the wittiness of the story, just give it some further fictional depth. Great job depicting this bumbling duo.

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:20 Nov 11, 2022

Thanks, Mike! Heh, you're not the only one to point that out, and looking back on it, I can see the possibility :) This is why I love other people's interpretations of stories - I learn something every time. Thanks for reading, as always!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.