0 comments

Adventure Indigenous Suspense

There was a lady who was never attractive. Maybe because of her colour, poor background or whatever. She was never the choice of anyone because she was considered ‘a less fortunate one’. Ohhh!!! May be if I had known her by then, I would have even thrown her to the dogs to be licked:

Hmmm (He wondered) what a life!

But despite all odds against her, she has all it takes to attract a God and kill a devil.

… Ladies and gentlemen, (The British High Commissioner to Nigeria – speaking) it is one of the second greatest honour of my life to present to you – (stretching forth his hands to the character) Ngozi Okolie – (now stand up as the clapping continues).

Chapter One

I am “Madonna”, (strict silence was there far better than a graveyard) I gave myself this name, (with a calm voice) not because I am facially beautiful or pretty as you may see; but just as the former have said –

“I got all it takes to attract a God and kill a devil”. (she playfully smiles as tears rolled down here eyes)… although, I don’t consider myself that oration because I will never cease to bow myself to God’s sovereignty and will.

“My real name is Ngozi Okolie”

The Beginning

I was born to the family of Mr. and Mrs. Ike-Okolie. We were seven in the family; two girls, three boys plus my parents: and I am the last.

Things began to fall apart when my both parents were been diagonised with ulcer, (we hardly see food to eat not to talk of eating) as things became terribly meaningless.

My father, a shoemaker and my mother a petty trader were both admitted into the hospital where they would receive better treatment. After spending two weeks in the hospital, and they were unable to pay their bills (it was chronic ulcer) thus; remaining there till they reciprocate their payments.

 I therefore decided to work as a cleaner for two (2) months just to settle their debt which was $50 (₦20,000) in America pay.

After all, they were finally discharged not until I washed the hospital toilets, washed at least thirty-five (35) corpses everyday; and now what next? The final decision was about to be taken.

The Decisions

After two weeks of them being discharged from the hospital, things became (still) very difficult. We hadn’t waster to drink, no detergent to wash clothes not to talk of eating even a seed of rice.

My mother was gradually dieing and my father was finally known as a popular beggar throughout the streets and city of Nnewi in Anambra State.

I am someone who loves to dance, sing and perform everything performable a musician can do. I have the gift and I knew it; just that there was no platform that could be close to my disposition as at then; may be because of my poor stance. To crown it all, I was a great fan of “Michael Jackson” and my greatest prayer then was that God should make a way for me. I had a secret pact with Him (God) in prayer; which may not be revealed.

I will cut this story short because in the realm of the spirits, action or deeds speaks more pronounced than words (she laughs)

Ok, this a little story of my life and you know? Before you attain glory; a story must be written – (that’s God’s system of greatness).

My mother advised me to go and live with her brother which I did. Although, it was not going to be easy; for we were highly discriminated everywhere we went because my father’s blood line as they say was cursed by a great spirit; and were to be separated for evil scheme. (The Nigerian traditional Igbo Osu – Caste system) Yes I was regarded as an outcast but God didn’t make me so; it was culture and tradition that called me so.

I then made a decision that I was going to suffer for but never will I or my coming dynasties regret.

Chapter Two

I left Anambra by bus, to Ikeja in Lagos State; to the home of my mother’s junior brother Mr. Julius to live along with his family.

As they set their eyes on me, he told me if I had a bath before coming and I did answer yes. His wife Lady B (Beatrice) said I should take my bags and luggage to live with the gateman so that I will not get her family contaminated since my bloodline was cursed to a spirit.

Even the gateman had to sack himself from the job because he was told that I was the daughter of a demon. Meaning; I was the gatewoman in the house. My greatest companions then were Chidera the last daughter (child) of my uncle and Whisky the little dog that would always bark at anyone with the intention of harming me.

Oh lest I forget; the only valuable my mom gave me was her precious mirror guarded by silver. She told me to reflect on it every night after I have prayer. The mirror was handed over to her by her father a fallen but great Biafran General. The mirror itself that was handed over to my grandfather, was first used by the then Queen of England who gave it as a souvenir (gift) by the then Nigerian Army Superintendent: Major General Aguiyi Ironsi – for the heroic roles he played during the second world war. Each time I reflected on it; I always hear a whispers “You are not alone” and guess what? It was the voice of Michael Jackson.

My Aunty who worshipped God in Deeper Life Bible Ministry; was very terrible. She was too religious but never spiritual. She was just a hypocrite.

“She made me wash the toilet twice every day, wash her entire family’s clothes, get them ironed including their undies”. If not for one thing, should have made me wash her menstrual pads as well.

But glory be to God, for He turns the wisdom of men into foolishness just for the sake of His glory.

Every Friday night, Chidera always sneaked into the small – little room where I lied in; to hear me sing even though she was warned never to associate with me. I kept my records secured with her as she was just like a grandmother to me although, we were both age mates. One day, Chidera told her parents while they were all observing lunch; her dream of becoming a model but was immediately rebuked by her mom who said she must of necessity become a medical doctor.

I was never allowed to cook or dish out food for them but only on matters concerning cleaning and washing. And the same day, while washing the dirty utensils, I was moved to tell them of my own dream of becoming a performing artist.

They all bursted into laughter except Chidera who quickly received hot slap from her mother for concurring with me saying

“I am in support”.

My aunty nicknamed me a “mad woman”.

My uncle nicknamed me a “mad idiot” because they hated me.

Chidera nicknamed me “Madam” because to her I have an inborn leadership skills.

But I nicknamed myself “Madonna” a supernatural name that was whispered to me during my reflective session with the herited mirror: meaning “one blessed with the power of skills”.

Chapter Three

Five months later, I received the message of my mother’s departure from my uncle, who announced how foolish she – her sister was … for marrying a nonentity a cursed blood. “I am not yet done”.

Eight days later, another news saw two of my brothers Kelechi and Chimobi dead (killed) by shots from Police Officers: after a failed robbery operation. I was not even opportuned to see the departed but I was told by my aunty that they were buried like a chicken (dead). All these happenings stirred me to wangle my way forward but don’t know how this could be achieved.

While I was alone at night during my usual reflections, as I gazed into the mirror, a hand came out and touched my head. I just can’t explain what happened but I mysteriously composed fifty songs – one of which was “Queen Elizabeth”. The next morning I suddenly woke up with a burnt face due to the hot water my aunty poured on me. she accused me of stealing her $50 and smoking Indian hemp. I don’t just know who did that but I know her children were born vagabonds and practice some lawless secret in the dark.

A week later, she chissled my hair and made me put on prisoner’s clothes. According to her, I am from a demonic lineage. So the code suits me. of course; she threatened if I disobeyed her, she was gonna send me parking. (Lol… are you sure she’s not telling a fairy tale).

Chapter Four

Everything became very clear to me that she was out to eliminate me and so, one sweet Thursday morning I evacuated myself out from the vicinity to live with the homeless in the bridge of Lagos.

This I never regretted because should I say frustration and a means to survive made me to visit bars and hotels, where I gave the visitors (audiences) an oral performance of one of my songs without any beatings.

One day, while I performed in a hotel, a man – Mr. Donald invited me for a concert which I performed. The next week saw me on a daily musical performance which made me earn lots of stuffs and people dashing me money.

The week I rented a single room for my night sleep, was the week Don Jazzy a label owner contacted me through my new pal and future Protocol – Mr. Donald.

According to them, they needed a female model to perform in the upcoming “Common Wealth” meeting at England; where many Heads of States was to summit.

The Breakthrough

This was fantastic and fantabulous since it was a new dawn in my life. That night while in England, before my performance; as usual; I reflected once more with my silver mirror after prayer. Appearing in the mirror an angel with the face of Michael Jackson (late) saying to me

“you are not alone”.

And when I was ushered in, I performed on my inspired hit track “Queen Elizabeth”.

After my performance, the queen herself in encouragement awarded me the sum of 50 million dollars and I also received a 50,000 dollars from each Head of State to support the queen’s.

Two days later, our journey back to Nigeria was suspended. What happened? A record label offered me a contract of 50 million dollars. I wish I could wake up from such dream.

It was then I officially took upon the name “Madonna”.

Well my friends, many things actually happened in my favour of which my time with you here is limited.

(while speaking to the audience, she brought out the silver mirror; who knows what she was looking at? But after ten minutes, great number of tears dripped down and this time, she was on a deep – meditation remembering how it all began. Although they were so many stories she wouldn’t tell the crowd but the great musical icon locked back her mirror and said one last thing:

         “Children of God, you are not alone”)

July 06, 2021 16:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.