10 comments

Sad Science Fiction Suspense

Going into Hibernation 

“PLEASE EVERYONE PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE NEWS!! WE WILL BE REPORTING EXACTLY WHERE TO GO AND HOW TO ATTEMPT THE PROCEDURE AND DOING THE PROPER STEPS CORRECTLY. DON’T TAKE ANY FURTHER ACTIONS UNTIL WE TELL YOU TO DO SO! STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES FROM NC 24/7.” 

I can’t believe we are doing this. All of humankind around the globe were going into stasis. I can’t imagine how the entire world will work after there is no activity of humankind! What would happen to our houses? Will all the animals start coming and rule over the world? What if severe weather strikes across the world!! No one will ever know anything about it and cannot fix the damage!  

I guess there is one positive outcome during this long inactivity period, there will be no littering. Marine animals will become safer, and there won’t be any landfills. No pollution either. With no factories burning up smoke, cars releasing gas, and no burning anything inside homes, the Earth itself will become a better place. That’s great, I guess. 

But wait, what about outside of Earth? Space is vast and mostly dangerous. What will happen if humans aren’t looking after satellites, and the robots they have sent to Mars! How would any of us know if there is an asteroid coming to Earth!! Even worse... if any of the planet’s rotation is moving, because that can prevent from one planet accidently colliding with another one.  

No one had thought this through properly. Whatever the damage things are going to cause, the effects are not going to look pretty once we wake up. Also, repairing all the damages that are going to be caused is also going to take lots, and lots of bucks. This isn’t going to be easy at all. Why did any of us agree to do this!  

There are some good sides and bad sides to this decision. But mostly bad. I wish humans hadn’t caused this much chaos and ruckus in Earth! If we all had recycled properly, not polluted, not littered (and the list just keeps going on and on...) then we could have stopped everyone in the world from doing this. Now, all we can do is regret about our choices that we made. 

I couldn’t believe this though. Still, this all feels like a dream to me. A fantasy dream. Something that could occur in a science fiction movie, or a book. Something that none of us had ever saw coming. Well... I can’t blame our decision though. No one can survive outside. But things needed to work. The world needed to go on. This was our only option. 

Still, humans could have prevented this from happening if people would just care about mother nature. If they cared about Earth. None of this would have happened if people stopped thinking only about themselves and their own, personal needs. If people had just stopped to think about how their own actions impacted other people, we could have easily dodged this curveball. 

I feel anger. Sadness, pain, and frustration. Depression, and worried. What will happen outside? Anyways, things are already looking worse. In some ways, going into hibernation sounds like the right choice. What more could happen that what it looked like outside the window? Our planet looks like trillions of every single kind of natural disaster just occurred like a big bang.  

Human activity was the cause of all of this to happen. So, in a way, if humans just don’t interfere with the world around us, nothing worse and more desperate than what has already occurred can happen. Right? Since we are just staying out the way, Earth can recover itself slowly. I mean, if we aren’t going to be ruining Earth for a century, then we are preventing that much damage.  

I wonder, though. What would happen all these years. Tectonic plates would move and shift. Many rotations of the Earth would pass. Maybe new animal species might come into existence. Now, the percentage of endangered species will drop very low since humans won’t be there to hurt them. More and more trees would also grow since humans won’t be there to cut wood. 

There is more to this plan than just Earth. Let me just stop thinking about these things and focus on my personal life. What about mom and dad? Well, they will be sleeping with me. How about my friends and family? Once I wake up, will I forget about them and who they are? How about school, and everything I learned in there, will I forget that too!?  

How about this entire world? Will we forget who...who we are? Oh no. No. No. No. This cannot be happening! What if... our entire species goes back to living how our ancestors lived!? The prehistoric age. Will that be the case? The entire world will go through the same eras all over again! It would be like pressing the redo or start over button. 

Maybe, those things won’t necessarily happen, would it? I mean... someone must remember who we are? Not all humans have the same type of memory, do they? I don’t know. Hypothetically speaking, even if humans totally forget who they are in the first place, then we have evidence all around! Technology, our homes...wait a second, won’t technology stop working?! 

Wow... there were going to be much more severe changes than what I had expected this entire “inactive period” to be. I couldn’t even think through and process all this information in my head. My head had almost started spinning like crazy. That is when we heard that huge sound. The microphone was going to play again. 

“ATTENTION EVERYONE!! WE ARE OFFICIALLY GOING TO START OUR HIBERNATION PROCESS. WE WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF EVERYONE COULD WAIT AT THE FRONT DESK. NOTE THAT IF THERE ISN’T MUCH SPACE IN THE FRONT DESK, PLEASE WAIT OUTSIDE. PLEASE TRY NOT TO GET IMPATIENT BECAUSE WE ARE DOING THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME AND TRYING TO GET EVERYBODY INTO SAFETY. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE TOOK NO ADDITIONAL SUPPLIES SUCH AS TECHNOLOGY, BOOKS, OR OTHER MATERIALS. THEY WILL NOT BE PERMITTED AND THUS YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ENTER UNTIL YOU HAVE REMOVED THEM. ONLY BRING YOURSELF, AND YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS. HAVE A SAFE JOURNEY EVERYONE AND WE WILL BE WAITING FOR YOUR ARRIVAL!” 

It was time for the entire world to shut off. I don’t have anything to say. Though I am terrified, we brought this ourselves. All I have to say is “Good night”. 




October 04, 2020 00:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

K. Antonio
19:58 Oct 10, 2020

This story has potential, the idea behind it is nice. Playing around with the doubts and fears of going into stasis. The feeling of not knowing... I do think that the story though needs another pass. You mixed up verb tenses throughout the tale, blending present tense with past. You need to stick with one narrative style and proofread to make the necessary verbal tense changes. Also I do think that some of the "facts" or details mentioned throughout the story require more research. Such as the idea of one planet colliding into anothe...

Reply

Thank you for your feedback!! I really appreciate it and I would definitely check out your stories too!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:16 Oct 11, 2020

This story is messy, without a clear plot or main character even. It also comes across as extremely preachy, and promotes strong audience distrust, because they will not believe the facts presented could come to pass. I would suggest you do some serious research on such things as planetary orbits. (as we can predict things like that with astounding accuracy)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
02:37 Oct 07, 2020

Woww good job!!!

Reply

Thanks!! I really appreciate it!

Reply

Sia S
02:39 Oct 07, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:31 Oct 07, 2020

New story out! Its Fantasy!

Reply

COOL!! I will surely check it out!! :)

Reply

Sia S
02:28 Oct 08, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.