0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Mystery

 

The blustery winds of Jordero north pound with fifty to sixty mile per hour winds and pelt the landscape with freezing rain. An Inuk male dwarf with an ice brown beard and hair and wearing a polar bear fur jacket escorts Merrill Brillcrek, the Judiciary Provost Marshal of the Jordero Fort Kapaka into the local bakery. Merrill a white man with shaggy brown hair and a Five o clock shade beard and wearing a similar dress as the Inunk dwarf is taken to the local grocer and baker of Fort Kapaka.

“Beatrice always panics when she is missing something. What is it this time old friend?” comments the constable.

Bruenor Kapaka holds the door open for Merrill as the two men smell the roasted food and baked goods made by Mama Beatrice Kapaka “Something about her secret ingredient.

Who knows the old hag has been cooking for as long as I was a child. So it could be anything Merrill?”

“Well I, will talk to her while you get us her famous licorice coffee.”

“Have Fun.”

An Inuk female dwarf greets Bruenor and Merrill and offers the men a seat while she finishes up with a half-giant patron. “ I hope this wets your meal Vlado. If you excuse me I, need to report something to the local constable.” The Inuk dwarf with salt and gray red-brown hair and wear an apron and casual dress joins the two men as they sip her famous J hut Cocoa.

“Nephew you better not have used up all my J hut root because that is missing from the pantry.”

“No Auntie, I; only used enough for two cocoas.” Blushing at her scolding words.

“So, how can I help you Madam Kapaka, you called me for something missing? Was it money or something else?” Inquires Merrill as he sips the hot cocoa.

“As I, said Judicar my J hut Root collection is missing and I need you to find it for me. Without it, my specialty will be gone for next week's bake-off.”

“ if you forgive me Madam but being a food investigator is not in my rules book.”

“You don't seem to understand, Inspector the J hut root is a very expensive food spice that can be used as an upswing in people's gloom.” directs Madam Kapaka. “ It is a very expensive root spice and who knows what rogue might get out of it. I need you to find my J hut collection.”

“But Madam, why would I take this case?”

“Because if you don't I, will report you as a poor constable and people like me respect you more than your boss Judge Grexxes; who is just a bureaucratic fool who dislikes the Kapaka people.”

“ Okay, what can you tell me about this exotic spice root and if you have any enemies who would benefit from this theft?” Merrill takes out a notepad and starts to scratch down notes with his lead pencil.

Two hours later. Merrill and Bruenor show a look of exhaustion from interviewing Madame Kapaka. ' Your aunt certainly, is a gossip queen she seems to know everything from who is pregnant to who is the beneficiary of certain Inuk miners, Bruenor.”

Bruenor reaches for his pipe and lights up his reed tobacco in his pipe. “ Well, Merrill she is the most popular grocery, confectionery, and baker in Kapaka. So she knows everyone, she probably knows your feelings for that Erinyes you date on occasion.”

“ Please don't get me started with Princess Asuriel, for all I knew she was an Arctic Winged Elf Arcanist Princess not an Erinyes.”

“Well, at least the two of you are working out your differences between a cleric warrior and sorceress. Bah, Sorcery,” comments Bruenor as he inhales his pipe as the two men walk through the snowy paths.

The two men are joined by an Arctic winged Elf with bleached red-brown hair in a ponytail and she is dressed in seductive hide armor with a polar bear fur parka and hat. Her ice-blue eyes show a look of danger to them but she is content and carries a rope around her waist.

“Hey boys, what are you doing in this blustery evening,” comments Asa as she holds venison in her hands. “As for me, just getting some venison for us later, Merrill.”

“Always a pleasure to see you, Asa. Bruenor and I are looking for a missing ingredient for his aunt. Want to join us in our exciting hunt.” sarcastically speaking Merrill to Asa.

“Let me put this venison in the cold box and I will meet you at the pub. Lover.”

“I assume you want the regular like me.” comments Bruenor “Elf honey-mead and Dwarf ale, Asa.”

“You know my taste, Bruenor. See you guys in a few.”

Merrill looks hard at his Dwarf friend with his brown eyes. “I forgot that you two are always drinking when I am away in court.”

“You know me well, boss. I would never cheat on our friendship for your lusty relationship with Asa. Besides an ice dwarf barbarian despises magic even if she is a looker.”

“I know old friend. Besides Jerrin is on elf business and I need your wit as a partner in this case.”

“Always a pleasure boss.' The two men enter the most noted pub in town. Several minutes later the two are joined by Asa. Vlado, the half-giant carries a tray of three mugs to the party of adventurers.

“Don't forget Asa you have that song recital later.” Comments Vlado “I hear a bard from the capital is looking for new talent.”

“Thanks for reminding me, Vlado.”

“I, always keep my workers in mind of talent. Gentlemen don't keep up too late especially you, Judicar.” Vlado leaves the trio alone as he helps a group of Inunk miners.

One hour later. The trio leaves the noted pub and starts to search about in the lower wards of Fort Kapaka. Merrill takes point and carries his mace, Asa is in the center, carrying her flail and Bruenor carries his double-bladed dwarf war ax. “Welcome to the lower wards, Asa. Always a pleasure to see you again, Judicar, dwarf.

A dark elf in black leather armor and wearing a royal navy bi-crone hat steps from the shadows with his daggers drawn. 'Hello, Rigger can I ask you a few questions? Comments Merrill in his lawman attitude.

“What can I do for the Kapaka Constabulary, Judicar?”

“Madame Kapaka, is missing her hidden spice rack and I was hoping you could tell

me who in your area may have an interest in the J Hut market?”

“Never liked the stuff, Judicar, but I can ask around give me a few days. For a price of course. But I find it lame for a constable with your stature to be looking for a spice rack of an old hag.”

Bruenor starts to raise his ax but is held back by Merrill. “Hold, dwarf. Just say it is a matter of simple consideration, Rigger. How much?”

“If the lady asked me no charge but for you Judicar 10 gold pieces and give me twelve hours...Deal?”

“10 gold pieces is high but I guess business is slow since Grexxes and his new Noble Mayor Ix-zed have taken control of the Fort. Bureaucratic crud,” comments Merrill.

“Something like that constable. Twelve hours.”

“Twelve hours, Rigger.” Merrill hands him a leather pouch.

“Lady Asa, until we meet again. Dwarf, Judicar.” Rigger disappears into the shady alleyways of the lower wards.

Next Day. A Halfing courier stops by the Judiciary office and hands a message to Merrill. “He'll meet you at Gouger's, Judicar.” The young Halfing boy extends his hand for a tip. Merrill tosses him a few coins. Taking a nibble of silver pieces. “ Could be more, Constable but I will let it slide since you are on duty.” The sea urchin hurries out of the constabulary.

Merrill and his friends arrive in the middle ward of Fort Kapaka and head for a scroungy bar like a couple of ladies on the porch outside flirting with Bruenor and Merrill. Asa shows a look of distrust and disgust with the ladies of the night. A female tie-fling looks hard and contempt to Asa. “You might want to get out of here, Elf this is a man's club not a formal at the noble embassy..”

Asa raises her fists at the Tiefling female. “You, put a hand on my man and it will be your last night in Kapaka, WITCH.” Raising her voice in the language of daemons and devils. The two stare hard at one another.

The trio enters Gougers and spot Rigger with his noted bi-corne hat sitting in a corner with a pair of ladies of the night. “ Lady Asa, why would your charming companions bring you to this place are they not getting enough at home; during the night.”

“Shut your trap, Dark Elf.” comments Bruenor 'What do you know?”

Raising his hands to prevent being put on a noose from his fellow guilds-men. “ Please, Please Dwarf; I have a reputation here as well. Please have a seat.”

Merrill looks down hard at the short dark elf. “We are fine, Elf. Talk. So we don't have to take you in for vagrancy with these ladies or men.” Rigger shows a look of shock at the voice of Merrill Brillcrek and his eyes at his female companions.

“Okay...Okay here is what I know. Baker McDowell is starting a business in the exotic spice trade and got cut off by his supplier for debts owed for the smuggling operations.” comments Rigger as he looks around carefully at passing bar patrons.

“So you probably know the spices Mademoiselle Kapaka uses acts as a high narcotics to addicts. He hopes to make a little money for what he has from the spice rack. That's all I know.”

“Where can I find him, Dark Elf?”

'He is in the southern warehouse ward, Constable.” Rigger reaches for his watch and looks at the time. “If you are lucky, you might stop him before he does any more harm. “

“Thanks, Rigger but I, would watch your loins tonight; with the ladies.” Merrill winks at the ladies of the night. “ Ladies.”

The trio exits out of the bar and head in the southern ward direction.

Southern Ward, Night-fall. Merrill and his friends enter a warehouse district as a group of ice skimmer vessels prepare to depart on the Great Oceanic Ice Lake of Isik. The trio stays in the shadows and spots a group of men J 'ult-an descent speaking with a heavyset white man who wears the classic cook apron and gown beneath a fur parka jacket and hood. The J ult-an men are of dark origin and both have dreadlocks and fur parkas like their associate. The lean J 'ult-an, speaks to the heavier man. “I'm afraid our business ventures with you are over Mr. McDowell. Even with this small payment of J hut root, it is not enough for expenses you owe us.”

“This is outrageous I paid you fifty gold pieces and now you want more gold. This is ridiculous how am I suppose to get ahead,” comments McDowell as he pounds the deck beneath his feet.

'Be happy we are letting you live, Cook.” replies the second man. As he tosses back the pouch to McDowell. 'If you excuse us we have other business to attend to in the south. Good evening McDowell.

“This is out of my contract you were supposed to accept my debt payments even if they are small. You know what I will not let you get away with this.” McDowell reaches into his parka and pulls out a couple of ginger-men like royal soldiers.

“You must be kidding; toys, McDowell. Get the Hades out of here.”

McDowell mumbles a few words in an ancient tongue. The ginger-bread soldiers come alive and charge the smugglers with spike pole-arms. Splitting the leather boots each man wears with the pole-arms.

'OUCH! What in Hades?” says the second man. As blood drips from the wound to his foot. McDowell just laughs at what his henchmen toys do to the men. The smugglers fall to the ground and begin to foam and have seizures from the wounds.

McDowell looks at the struggling smugglers. “I learned from a half-daemon this measure ` each of you will start to feel paralysis in your body as the Imp poison goes through your bloodstream. You are lucky it is a small amount a far bigger amount would kill you instantly but still, you will die shortly.” the men continue to vomit and foam at their mouths as the poison is ingested into their systems.

“I think this is where you hand over your Kapaka operations to me for you to live. Or would you like to hear how messy this could be on time? Think about my smuggling scums.”

Merrill and his team see the actions of the baker and charge to apprehend him. Each draws their weapons with Asa placing her rope into a lasso to capture the mad cook. Bruenor charges with his war-ax against the ginger-bread imps slicing them down.

“What in Hades is this?”

The rope tangles around the cook as he screams to escape the magical rope. Merrill swings his holy mace of Smiting against the ginger-bread imps. The mace release a blast of blue-white electrical energy that sends the ginger-bread imps back to the Abyss they came from. The ginger-bread imps open their fanged mouths wide as the electrical energy draws them into the mystical portal.

In Abyss-an tongue the ginger-bread imps scream NOOO! As the portal opens up around them pulling them in.

McDowell shows a look of anger and discontent at Merrill and his actions against his little ginger-bread toy soldiers. The rope entangles him and he is hogtied to the ground by Asa. “NOOO! MY TOYS! You will pay for Judicar. For I, in Hades. Promise!

Merrill dismisses the threats and attends to the smugglers turning his eyes to Asa. “ I need your daemon anti-toxin flasks, Asa. Now!. Asa tosses him a pair of silver flasks and pours them down the throats of the smugglers.

Bruenor looks at McDowell. “You can make a ton of gingerbread soldiers in prison. Once the arcane provost wipes your mind of those spell words”. Bruenor escorts the cook in a pair of manacles he placed on him.

Asa looks at Merrill who signals a pair of sailors to get the local healers for the smugglers. “Well lover, I take it you won't be baking gingerbread cookies for a while.” She presses up to him and places a kiss on his lips. Smack Smack.

Merrill looks at her lovely seductive ice-blue eyes, “ I, think Madame Kapaka is waiti9ng for us and besides she has a crate-load of J' h ult root for her specialty meals. My daemon lover.”

“Boy, will she be excited about her winning recipes? and their ingredients.”

The End.

 

 

 

 

 

 

December 06, 2020 03:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.