0 comments

Adventure Coming of Age

Once there was a young man named Harold who had a penchant for bumping into things and people.


There also happened to be a young woman called Estella who had a penchant for bumping into things and people.


Did it ever seem possible that these two could ever meet? They did not know anything about each other, except the one thing they had in common which was the familiar tendency to bump into things and people ofcourse.


One day while Harold was in the Garden it started to rain even though it was bright outside, yes, in the middle of Summer. Harold decided against watering his Garden, since the pouring rain had done the job for him.


On the other side of town, Estella suddenly dreamed up a great idea for a book she so wanted to write. She got the idea looking at a bird sitting on her window pane. It was a rare bird that only appeared when it rained outside.


Harold went into his house and shut the door. He was happy that it rained. He decided to do some spring cleaning, it seemed like the perfect thing to do being the weekend, the kind of day on which he didn't have to report to work and so he was relatively free the whole day.


Estella and Harold lived in two separate worlds. Little did these two know that they were born in the same city, and went to the same school. Harold was 4 years older than Estella, but he behaved so much younger for his age. Estella on the other hand acted far more mature than her years.


One day things changed. Estella was walking down into the street, she kept bumping into people and things as she always did.


Harold was walking down the street as well, he too went his merry way, bumping into people and things the way he usually did.


Suddenly Harold bumped rather hard into this terribly petite but terribly pretty young woman.


"Sorry" they both said to each other rather impatiently. The woman looked up and said "hey I know you from somewhere... Harold Sanchez? Is that you?"


"Estella Cruz" He said. "I remember you from high school! After all these years! How are you?" Harold said full of happiness and excitement.


Finally they had met. The young man who kept on bumping into things and people had met his match. And yes, it's not like they didn't know each other!


"Estella I have some errands to run, can I call you some other time? If you will give me your number?" Harold said rather inquisitively.


"Sure" Estella said and gave him her number. Harold added her as a contact on his phone and went on his way.


Estella was surprised. She got back to writing the book she was working on when she got back home. Harold on the other hand delivered his clothes to the laundry, and then went back to work after his Lunch hour was over and done with.


Harold went home that day and looked at Estella all day on Facebook. He barely got a chance to see what she looked like on the street the last time they met. She was wearing a purple colored beret that covered her hair but he managed to see her unique blue eyes that he remembered so well from high school.


Estella decided to add a new character to her book. Someone who much like herself and Harold was a little odd but still intelligent and a fitting character for her story. She realized that her book was no more in the doldrums.


Introducing this character meant that her brief period of writer's block had ended. She suddenly found a way to bring the plot around and even get through to the climax. She seemed to now have a plan and an outline to finish her book.


Suddenly there was a message on Estella's phone. The message was from Harold.


"Would you like to meet?" The rather strange message from Harold said.


" Yes, I wouldn't mind" came the reply.


"Where and when?" Harold asked again on WhatsApp.


"The coffee shop off bakers street" she replied. "How is that for you?" She asked again rather politely.


"Yes I wouldn't mind at all," Harold said to Estella.


The day they planned on meeting arrived. They both arrived at the same cafe they planned on.


Harold and Estella had coffee and got to know each other better. Harold found out about the new character Estella introduced in her new book. She told him that the character was loosely based on him. She told him that the book was going to be published sooner than expected all because of the new character. However, something about Estella's book made Harold think he wasn't good enough for her.


Harold did not call or message Estella. He did not think he could ever impress a writer. Little did Harold know that Estella herself was struggling, an up-and-coming author who did not have an easy life.


One day Estella Cruz was walking down the street bumping into things and people the way she usually did.


On the other side of town, Harold Sanchez was bumping into things and people the way he normally did.


Did it ever seem possible that these two would ever meet since they now knew each other even though they misunderstood each other? And yet, they kept bumping into things and people.


One day in a busy street in Paris Estella Cruz was busy promoting the sale of her bestselling new book 'Ever After' which was translated into eight languages. Suddenly while setting up a standee at her book launch she was part of with her friend, she bumped into a Handsome artist. He saw those blue eyes again.


"Estella Cruz" is that you? Harold Sanchez said rather impatiently.


Oh, after all these years "Harold" she said to him. They met got into a relationship and separated again.


Three years later they met in Italy. These two travelers kept on bumping into things and people and didn't seem to have anything in common other than Estella's blue eyes.





November 05, 2022 08:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.