The Watchdog Unit

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

5 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction Drama

My eyes shot open. the blinding light of the room poured into them. for a moment, everything was still. There was no sound, only white, clean light. Then it began. I felt as though my entire insides were on fire. I didn't even have the strength to let a scream leave my lips. I just writhed around silently as the pain slowly over took me. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced before.

But then it stopped. As suddenly as it had appeared, all the pain was gone. It must have been death. It was the only plausible solution. A sweet release from the agony that I had felt. I, Ellie Beldar was dead. But where was I? As my vision became clearer, and was met with an image that certainly wasn't heaven, but didn't have enough fire to be hell.

Based on the cool rigidness on my back, I was lying on concrete. All around me were odd graffiti markings in every color imaginable. Fluorescent lights hung from the ceiling, swinging back and forth ominously, and gave the whole place an eerie glow. Just as I began to get my bearings, a wrought iron door at the end of the room burst open. 

“She's awake!“ the Girl called to no one in particular. She was strikingly beautiful. The kind of beautiful that makes you walk into traffic because you were staring at her. She was about my age, but considerably taller. Her long arms were covered in tattoos and ended in broken nails that had something that looked suspiciously like blood splattered on them. 

I was so taken aback by her beauty I almost forgot about the fact I was in a completely new environment with no idea how I got there. “Who… who are you?“ I stuttered.

“Unimportant and irrelevant.“ the Girl responded. “come with me.“ there was a coldness in her voice that I recognised as being so broken on the inside that you have no emotion left to give. I knew that tone all too well. Focusing on the past would only lead to ruining the future, so people like me and the Girl would fight down feelings in order to survive. 

I had no idea if she could trust the Girl, but it didn't seem as though I had a choice. She extended a heavily inked arm and lifted me up. Leaning on her, I struggled into the hallway. It was cold and dank, and tagged with graffiti of all sizes. There were no windows and the only light came from those fluorescent tubes. Everything about this place creeped me out. I needed to get out of there quickly. I might be able to take on the Girl, but I still had no idea where I was or how to get of this dungeon-like building. As we turned a corner, the Girl's skirt lifted up a bit, revealing a ornately carved dagger strapped to her thigh. Scratch that part about taking her on.

We rounded the corner again and I was led into another cold and empty room. I was hoping she might finally get answers, but there seemed to be no one there but me and the Girl. “Stop playing games Fin, its not funny, and we found another in the river today.“ it was the most confusing sentence I had ever heard. There was obviously no one else in the chamber, so she was yelling into thin air. Also, from the river? But before I even began to comprehend it, a boy a couple years older than us both appeared out of thin air. I gasped, but the Girl didn't even flinch. What was going on here?

Then the alleged Fin began speaking to me, “so you drank from the river.“ his tone was stern, as though I had just snuck out of my house through the window. Then I remembered. 

I had leaned down, cupping the water to my mouth. I had been running for so long, away from it all, and I hid in the river bed, sipping the water. Then my memory went blank. Next thing I knew, I was awake in that cell. I supposed I had to answer him truthfully. “Yes.“  his expression changed ever so slightly from stern interrogation to some form of pity. 

Everything was so upside down, I was in this windowless warehouse with no idea what was going on. A guy had just appeared out of nowhere before my eyes, and getting a drink of water seemed to have condemned me. But instead of telling me anything else, because why would you ever actually explain something when you could just leave you captive confused and terrified, I was led into a separate room.

There was a single chair next to a folding table, but nothing else. More of the odd graffiti marked the walls. Fin began giving me instructions, “look at your palm. Think about your happiest memory. Concentrate on letting that memory flow through you. Push it towards your palm.“ I still had no idea what was going on, but, wary of the knife inches from the Girls fingers, I obliged. 

I focused my mind on the wind in my hair as I sprinted down the road. It wasn't necessarily happy, but it was the closest I'd get to joy. My parents had hurt me for the last time. I was proud of who I was. So I ran. Away from the abuse, the disappointment, and the conversion therapy. I was finally free to be me. I felt the memory flow through my heart. As I opened my eyes, I glanced down at my palm. 

On it was a very faint marking I had never seen before. It was shaped like a mind, at least I thought. There was a light T etched into it as well. I gasped. Fin asked me what I saw. I didn't know what to do. On one hand, he knew how to make that appear, so he must be able to help me figure out what it means. On the other hand, he hadn't told me anything else about this entire place, and was keeping me captive against my will. I reluctantly showed him my palm. When he saw it, it was his turn to gasp.  

He whispered something into The Girls ear that I couldn't make out. I was beginning to get angry. They hadn't told me anything, and something miraculous had just happened. I did the only thing I could think of. Something I hadn't done in a very long time. I screamed. I screamed long and hard like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Fin looked sorry and sad, as though he hadn't been trying to hurt me or make me angry, but the Girl still kept a cold expression, as though this were routine. That worked me up even more. Suddenly, I closed my fist, and I could feel the mark on my palm heating up until it became a fire waiting to be unleashed. Then it began to happen.

The chair on the floor began to lift, I was so angry I barely noticed until it started zooming around the room. The mark on my palm continued to glow, and the table lifted up as well. Fins eyes widened in terror. I kept screaming, not sure what was going on, but afraid of it nonetheless. The Girl ran to my side. She put an arm around my waist and pulled me close. She smelled like spray paint and smoke, but in the best kind of way. My palm cooled down, and the chair fell back to the ground. 

Then she pulled away as though nothing had happened. I realized, she had only been doing it to calm me down and stop whatever was happening, but it still left butterflies in my stomach. I was shocked. This was unlike anything I'd ever seen. 

“After that ordeal, I feel as though you deserve an explanation.“

“Oh really, now you feel that way!¨  I burst at him, ¨ You've appeared out of nowhere, made a magic mark appear on my hand, and I just lifted chairs without touching them! And just now you think I might be entitled to some kind of clarification?“ Fin held up his hand, trying to calm me down. Even though I was angry, I was still secretly pleased I would finally be getting answers.

“Welcome to TWC, or The Watchdog Coalition. We are a group of chemically enhanced kids and teens who help people in need.“ it sounded like an explanation, but it didn't help much. What did he mean by chemically enhanced? Were there more of them? 

Fin ignored my quizzical stares and launched into a full explanation, “A chemical spill occurred upstream from the river right outside this building. The water was contaminated. When kids come and accidentally drink it, they gain powers. Only people under 18 gain powers though, because their immune systems aren't ready to fight off the chemicals. The powers can be accessed through your palms, and the etching on your palm is what your power is. You have a T for telekinesis. The graffiti on these walls isn't meaningless, it's everyone's different symbols.“ It was begging to make sense, but there were still some things I didn't understand.

  “Why don't you tell the authorities?“ I asked. “You don't think we've tried? They always just think were kids making this up! And they don't ever gain powers because they are adults. They wont even take the time to let us demonstrate our powers.“ based on the authority figures I'd had in my life, it didn't seem too far fetched.

Fin finished his explanation, “when we discovered our powers we teamed up, and are trying to help those in need. We regret to inform you that this means you have to cut off contact to the outside world. We hope you will help fight with us for the good of humanity. For now you will be escorted to your temporary room.“ Even though there was coldness in his voice, I could tell he was hopeful that I might be able to help them. I was too, but I was worried about the commitment. No contact with the outside world?  It seemed insane, but then again, I had just moved a chair with my mind, everything was insane around here. 

The Girl pulled out a key ring from her back pocket. We hadn't spoken the whole way to my room. I was still trying to comprehend what had happened moments before. This choice could change everything. I had no idea if I was ready. But as the Girl finally found the right key and led me into a dimly lit room, I expected her to turn and leave. Instead, she sat down on the cot in the corner. 

“We could really use your help around here, you know.“ I tried to hide my surprise, but to no avail. She smirked. “I do say more than three words if that's what you're thinking.“ her steely manner was dropping quickly, and there was something very heartfelt and melodic about the way she spoke. “There's not that many girls around here, and, if it helps, I think you're quite pretty.“ This made me blush a deep shade of red. She quickly switched back to a business like manner though, continuing with her speech. “What I mean is that, we need more manpower, and you have one of the most powerful abilities. We couldn't afford to lose a valuable player.“ 

I sat down next to her on the bed, thinking about all the things she had said. Did she say that to every new recruit? It felt like she really meant it. Also, this would mean the ultimate opportunity to help people. It made no sense not to take it. A wide smile spread across my face. “Where do I sign up?“ the Girl smiled a bit too, then replied, “it's settled then, just repeat after me, I, insert name here.“

I, insert name here.“ I joked, getting nothing but a glare from the Girl as I rolled my eyes. “I ellie beldar.

“Promise to uphold honor, dignity, and strength.“

Promise to uphold honor, dignity, and strength.“

“In the face of any evil.“

In the face of any evil.

“As long as I am in the unit.“

As long as I am in the unit.

“Thats all,“ the Girl said, “Welcome, Ellie, to the Watchdog unit.“

July 02, 2020 17:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Leya Newi
19:39 Jul 09, 2020

This was really interesting. I was confused at first, but then everything fell into place while still leaving some intrigue. One thing I noticed was that there were a lot of grammar errors that detracted from the story. For example, at the beginning of the story, there are two sentences you didn’t capitalize. I would suggest with proofreading and asking someone else to proofread your stories, or else use a site like grammarly to make sure everything is proper. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this story.

Reply

Phoebe :)
19:56 Jul 09, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback! I am so glad you enjoyed the story, and I will definitely look into grammarly! Hope you have a great day! :)

Reply

Leya Newi
21:16 Jul 09, 2020

You too! Glad I could help!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lata B
17:30 Jul 07, 2020

This was an enjoyable read! Great job!

Reply

Phoebe :)
17:31 Jul 07, 2020

thanks so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.