Tusks and Dagger Part Thirty-Five: A Shock Back into Action

Written in response to: Write a story about someone who is determined to not have their day spoiled — but the universe is trying their patience.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

 A low humming woke me up, a black portal swirled by my head. Boran held Mishal in his arms, Tommy leaping onto my shoulder with Sir Acorn on my other side. Scribbling out a note, it was time for me to go to work. Laying it on my pillow, the purple rays of twilight flickered in the trees. Stepping through, my animal friends remained on my shoulders. Something felt off, Dackworth wasn’t on my back. Sprinting back, the portal sealed shut. Feeling my pocket, relief washed over me at the cold feeling of my pocket watch. Wiping the sweat off of my brow, flames roared to life on my palms. 

“Did you forget something, Lottie?” Tommy inquired, licking my face. A snarl curled on my lips, wicked laughter poured from my lips. Pressing my palm to my forehead, so many sarcastic thoughts rested on the tip of my tongue. Biting my tongue, this wasn’t the time. My eyes scanned for weapons. Some wire hung off the branches of the dead trees, an icy breeze nipped my skin. Staring down at the ruby dirt, the heart thumped underneath me. Howls echoed in the night, hissing only causing my nerves to fray further. Shaking off my anxiety, the branches protested with each tug on the wires. Sir. Acorn leapt into the tree, his tiny paws untangling the wire. The wire dropped into my palms, a curved blade with a coated pearl hilt. Sliding the sword into the belt of my new emerald wool dress, ultimately doubting its ability to help me out. Wrapping up the wire, my magic and wit was going to have to carry me through this one. The three of us walked along, picking any weapon we could find. Mishal’s smile flashed in my head, Darwin’s laughter twinkled in my head. Everything was too calm, Sir Acorn’s paw smacking the back of my head. A black cloaked figure charged at me, dainty features shone in the moonlight. Her button nose pointed into the air, my fingers brandishing the sword. Sparks snowed aimlessly, our blades clashing . Kicking her back, the tree snapped in half upon her impact. My ears flattened, her arms wrapped around my shoulders. 

“I can take the darkness away if you agree to help me.” I offered sincerely, feeling her shift uncomfortably. Sniffing her arm, the nauseating scent of a vampire sickened me. Tossing her over my head, my heel dug into her chest. The hood fell back, a pair of hungry ruby eyes watched me. Sitting down on top of her, Sir Acorn protested the moment I offered her my arm. 

“You are hungry, right?” I asked, attempting to not look unapproachable. “I am more than willing to feed you. Go on, take a bite. I just know that you will feel better.” Glowering in my direction her fangs sank into my flesh. Her gulps barely affected me, my real smile brightening my face. A sigh escaped her lips, a rosy complexion colored her cheeks.  

“I am Zora, the last vampire.” She introduced herself politely, wiping my blood from her lips. “I am sorry I attacked you.” Her pointed ears pinned back, her fangs hung over her black lips. Hopping to my feet, my hand hovered in front of her face. Accepting it cautiously, a grunt escaped my lips the moment I yanked her up. Catching her in my arms before she fell back down, my eyes scanning for a body of water. 

“Do you have a body of water?” I questioned, wanting to get home. “If you help me out, you can join me in my journey to save my kingdom.” Panic widened her eyes, her body trembling. Bowing in my direction, an unimpressed expression dawned on my face. Grabbing her shoulder, her eyes refused to meet mine. 

“Please don’t bow. It makes me feel gross.” I snapped hotly, realizing my mistake. “Can I ask you again? Do you have a body of water?” Her finger pointed to a pool of scarlet blood, all three of us groaning audibly. Twisting her salt and pepper hair into a bun, she put her finger up in the air. Rushing behind the trees, a couple of diving suits laid on her arms. Tossing me the longer one, her dainty hands began to tug hers over her five foot four hourglass figure. My suit slid up too easily, my waist had shrunk by a couple of inches. Clapping my hands, bubbles formed around my animal friends. Placing the helmet over my head, the blood disgusted me the moment it touched me. At least it wasn’t staining my skin, the familiar sensation of a portal opening up at the bottom pleased me. A splash threw me off track, a grinning Zora swam next to me. Motioning for us to go forward, a migraine began to throb. A gust of wind yanked us through, the raw force threw us onto yellow sand. Sunshine blinded me, the dark energy of her heart hid underneath the mask of the unwarranted brightness. Peeling off the suit, my eyes fell on the clear waters. A musky breeze wafted up my nose, a poison laced the air. Tommy and Sir Acorn popped their bubbles, my palms catching them both. Kissing the tops of their head, Tommy leapt onto my shoulder. His tail curled around my neck, his tongue licking my cheek. A steady stream of curse words flooded from my lips the moment Zora popped up behind me with her hood over her face, her bright smile made my heart flutter with pure joy. The forest floor rumbled, the mood darkened with the appearance of a giant wolf. Thump! The heart beat in its furry gray chest, inky eyes glared down at me. Tears welled up in my eyes, the fact that I was supposed to kill this guardian tore me apart. Raising my blade, a yelp escaped my lips. One paw crumbled it to pieces, my tail tucking in between my legs. Seeking out my options, my heart sank into my stomach at the lack of trees. I guess the wire option was out, my lips pressing into a thin line. Why was nothing going my way! Vines curled up my arm, a silver moon gliding over the sun. A reflection pool flooded the land, the moon’s reflection glistened on the smooth surface. Whipping my vines in the wolf’s direction, Zora launched into the air. Landing on his back, Tommy whistled. Shadows darted around the edge of the pool, a white pocket watch spun on his fingers. White waves of noise disoriented the wolf, more shadows rose out of the water. The inky shadows stained the fur as my vines twisting into a scythe. Zora clawed at its back, chunks of flesh splashed into the water. Water soaked me with every buck from the wolf, tears flooded from my eyes. Unable to move, the vines creaked with my grip. Anxiety sunk its claws into me, my breathing growing shallow. A wave of panic paralyzed me, the fight taking me back to the core of depression. Sinking to my knees, Sir Acorn’s voice faded in and out. A piercing silence came over the fight, a single hand intertwining with mine. Teardrops shattered the smooth surface of the water, the rings never ending. 

“You need to get up.” Mina’s voice rang out like a bell, my scythe floating to the surface. “I brought your friend. I know you're sad but you have people who love you. I bet Mina is missing you as well. If you die here, you will never see her again.” My vines decayed to ash, Dackworth’s eye flitted between the wolf and me. 

“I can’t.” I sobbed, the corner of my lips quivering. “I can’t! I keep trying and trying to save lives. I am so sick of death! I hate killing things! I hate it.” Her thumb rubbed the back of my hand, the warmth of her touch slowing down my breathing. 

“You have to kill sometimes in your situation.” She assured me, her hand fading away. "Think of seeing Mishal and Darwin. Do this for them. Do it for Boran. Do it for your friends who are your family. Go get them.” Wiping away my tears, Dackworth’s words brought back a bit of my confidence. 

“I wouldn’t have picked you if I thought you were a murderer.” He commented, a sage flower floated into my palm. “Death is scary but life is far more frightening. You have experienced more than most people will in their life. You don’t have to be strong all the time. No one is disappointed in you. Stand up and fight with your morals. Let’s save the world!” Smiling sadly, a chaotic scene greeted me. Zora lay in a heap, the mistake of my actions haunted me. Sir Acorn collapsed into my pocket, Tommy passed out on my shoulder. Silver water mixed with vines, navy roses bloomed along the edge of the pool. The place felt like my own, the wolf howled into the sky. Taking my animal companions out of their hiding spots, a giant rose bloomed next to me. Setting them down gently, my lips kissed the tops of their heads. 

“Be good, boys.” I whispered, waiting patiently for him to howl once more. The wait wasn’t long, water splashing all over my feet as I leapt into the air. Angling my feet for his mouth, saliva soaked me the moment I slid down his throat. Slamming the tip into his stomach lining, his stomach acid bounced around. 

“Grant me some power from Mina and the Silver Moon.” I choked out, the blood pouring from my nose. “Silver vines take over his body, and suck the life from him.” Tears flowed from my eyes, vines snaked from my blade. Horror widened my eyes, thorns sunk into his flesh. Navy roses bloomed along the vines, vines covered every inch of his body. His whines pierced my ears, my sobs growing louder with each passing second. The pressure built up as a new rose bloomed next to me, his black heart beating in the center. Cupping it in my palms, a rose bloomed underneath me. The petals closed around me, my other hand still gripping the handle of my scythe. Blue flames devoured the heart, painful howls only shattered my heart. His heart decayed to rose petals, the rose lowered through his decaying body. Pulling my scythe into the blossom, I pulled my knees to my chest. This small space felt nice, the noises from the outside did not permeate my walls. My walls protected me from harm, the peace and quiet melted away some of my stress. The petals lowered, Zora climbed onto the rose. Plopping down across from me, Tommy leapt onto my shoulders while Sir Acorn jumped into my pocket. Resting her hands on her knees, her head cocked to the right. Her bright smile did little to help me, her next words capturing my attention.  

“I think you are a wonderful person. I am as horrible as the black heart you just killed. Do you know how many people I killed?” She pointed out stoically, rolling her eyes. “I killed all the vampires in this realm because I got mad. They bullied me and I did the worst thing I could have ever done. I became the bully. I paid the price by living alone for too long. Do you want to know the difference between you and me?” My lips pressed into a thin line, a sigh escaping my lips. 

“What’s the difference?” I snapped, hurt flashing in her eyes. “I just killed something that didn’t deserve to die. I couldn’t save my friend and one of my only friends had to take a different path than me. I feel so lonely. I feel so fucking lonely. Yeah, I have friends but she was my closest friend besides Boran. We fucking grew up together, and now she is not by my side. She was my constant when I was dragged here. The rug had been ripped out from underneath me.” Shaking her head, her arms embraced me. 

“That’s the difference right there. I didn’t feel anything for the longest time. I relished the moment and you are crying because you felt bad for this soul and everybody else.” She stammered , her fingers wiping away my tears. “Most people would have killed me on the spot but you fed me. I don’t understand much but you wouldn’t have killed everybody when they bullied you. Your compassion draws people to you. I am attracted to you. Every part of me wants to be your friend. Hold your head up high and enjoy what life has given to you. I miss everything that I took from myself.” A train whistles in the distance, her arms falling to her side. Her story broke my heart, my knees lowering. Clutching her close to my chest, her tears soaked my shoulders. 

“I may not understand your problem but thank you for your kind words.” I comforted her, her fingers gripping my dress. “I don’t think you're that person anymore. The person I met today did try to kill me but I was a stranger in your home. Don’t worry about your past. The way I see it. Your sins don’t define your future, you do. Do you want to come with me? I can show you a world with friendship and laughter. I may be down now but in the future I will be okay. I love my life and my family, I just don’t feel anything right now. Everything’s numb. The stupid thing is that I hide it with a smile until it blows up in my face. Don’t hide it because it eats at you on the inside until you have nothing left.” Taking her hand, excitement bubbled on her face. Leaping off the rose, our feet barely touched the surface of the pool. Emmy waved from the window, Boran and my family caused my real smile to spread on my face. Yanking her onto the train, the wheels chugged forward. Leaping into Boran’s arms, he spun me around. Scooping up Mishal, Darwin squeezed my legs. Boran was behaving oddly, his scent relaxing my muscles. Resting my head on his chest, his loving gaze met mine. 

“Have you been crying again?” He asked, wiping away tears that I didn’t know that I was shedding. “I wish I could have been there. I was really worried about you.” Smiling weakly at him, his lips brushed the top of my head. No words needed to be said, the quiet was so nice. For once the negative voices in my head were taking a short vacation, the clarity allowed me to appreciate all that I had. Poking his belly, his t fingers grabbed my thumb. Humming a lullaby, his laughter twinkled in the air. Kissing his forehead, a rare moment of joy brightened my mood. Sinking onto the seat behind me, it felt like a train had hit me. 

“I am okay, at least for now.” I chirped cheerfully, actually feeling a bit better. “I love you Boran.” His lips parted to speak, his lips pressing into a thin line. The seat squeaked as he sat down, his crooked grin was all I needed to see. Laying my head down on his lap, his loving gaze never left us. Hopping onto the seat, an excited Darwin kissed my forehead. 

"I missed you. Did you get what you needed?” He questioned blissfully, his wide grin melting my heart. “I love you, mommy.” Motioning for him to come closer, my free hand cupped his cheek. Tracing his cheek, my real smile brightened my face. Moments like these are why I did it all. Kids like him deserved happiness, even if I had to sacrifice my joy. 

“I love you too, Darwin.” I proclaimed, his chest swelling with pride. “Never lose the light that always brings joy to my heart.” His hand twitched behind his back, a golden lily rested in his palm. A tender blush colored my cheeks, his tiny hand pressing it into my palm. 

“I made this for you with my new magic lessons with Somata.” He bragged with an even wider grin. “Do you like it?” Tears of joy welled up in my eyes, his face falling. Pulling him next to me, his head snuggled next to Mishal. Love burned in his eyes, my heart skipping a beat. 

“I love it. You just made my day.” I choked through a wall of joyful tears. “How did I get so blessed to have you in my life? You are amazing. Don’t you ever change.” Wiping away my tears, he beamed with pride. A crying headache throbbed to life, Boran played with a Mishal. Family, this was family. Zora hovered in the distance, Boran’s eyes fell on her. 

“Take a seat in front of us.” He offered sincerely, pointing to the space in front of us. “There is no need to be alone. Emmie, join us.” Skipping into the car, he guided Zora to the open spot. Plopping down in front of us, a curious thought flashed in my head.  

“Zora, would you like to stay on the train with me?” Emmie stammered, Zora turning her head towards him. “It gets kind of lonely on the train. The train can give you blood whenever you need it.” Waiting with bated breath, her mind coursed through the options. 

“Of course. Someone told me that no one should ever be alone.” She answered with a crooked grin, her body shrinking down to his age. “Is this better?” A blush colored his cheeks, her robes now swallowing her slender ten year old body. Pure happiness shone through her crooked grin, her fingers snapping. Golden buttons shimmered on her matching emerald green jacket, her fingers tugging on the matching skirt. A golden conductor hat sat crookedly on her head, her arm wrapping around his shoulder. Feeling happy for her, sweet slumber stole me away. 

March 10, 2023 23:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.