Contest #172 shortlist ⭐️

73 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Funny

Moira put on her apron, signed in to her register, and prepared for the least busy day of the year. Her heart thrilled because she was finally old enough to participate in this most sacred of secular events. A moment later the doors opened and the customers started trickling in. The first one up at her counter was an old man in a parka, perpetually rubbing his hands.

“Welcome to McDemocracy’s. Can I take your order?” Moira asked, beaming at him.

“Yes, hello,” he said with an earnest grin. “I’m really hankering something, but I’m not sure what.”

“Do you have any preferences? Hatred perhaps, or fear? Those are two of our best sellers.”

“Oh, fear sounds nice.” He sniffed. “That reminds me, you guys used to have this thing, a long time ago, but I haven’t seen it on the menu for a while.”

“Sometimes the favourites come back,” Moira said. She dug out the seniors menu and handed it to him. “Perhaps you’ll find it here?”

He scanned the menu, running his finger along it and mumbling as he went. Then his face lit up. “Oh! There it is!” He looked at her with such unbridled joy, like he had just discovered presents under the tree – it made her morning. She was making a difference in people’s lives.

“The spectre of communism,” he said reverently.

“Very good, sir,” Moira said grinning. “Your candidate is Tom Thompson.”

“Yes, he sounds good. Is he popular?”

“Not at all, sir. He’s largely seen as out of touch.”

“Perfect!”

It was perhaps an odd choice, perhaps not her choice, but it was a voter’s choice and that’s what made it count. The next customers in line were a youngish couple, somewhere in their thirties. They walked to the counter joined at the elbow.

“Welcome! Can I take your order?”

The couple smiled at each other, their eyebrows flickering with excitement.

“We’re feeling vaguely uneasy about the future. And there’s this budding sense of, like, guilt I guess,” said the man.

“Yes,” said the woman, “and we’d like to double down on those.”

“So more unease and more guilt?” asked Moira.

The couple looked at each other again, first in shock and then in giggle.

“Oh no,” said the man, “more unease but less guilt.”

“Of course, sir,” Moira said. “And what kind of guilt is it? Is it white guilt?”

The couple tittered and shook their heads.

“Oh, goodness, no,” said the woman. “We’re over it. No, we mean like, guilty about the environment. We’re trying for a baby, and, well, you know. We want there to be a planet for our kids.”

“Right,” said the man. “But we also like our trucks, so you see our problem.”

The manager at yesterday’s meeting had gone over just this scenario, so Moira knew exactly what to do. “I think you might find something here.” She reached under the counter and handed them the salad menu.

“Oh, these are nice,” said the man, just as the woman said, “Ooh, look at that one. That one would make me feel good, like I was actually doing something.”

“Right,” said the man. “But we wouldn’t actually have to do anything. Looks like a winner to me, honey. What do you think?”

The woman showed the menu to Moira. “I just have one more question. I see a lot of promises here, but I’m on a diet.”

“Not to worry, ma’am,” Moira said. “They’re all empty.”

“Perfect!” they said in unison. “Looks like John Johnson is our candidate.”

Moira preferred some meat on her promises, but she didn’t begrudge the couple their choice. The next customer was a big middle-aged guy in a greasy green sweatshirt, who grimaced and kept rubbing his belly.

“Hello! Can I take your order–”

“–Yeah, hi,” he interrupted. Then he winced and hissed through his teeth. “Listen, the crap you guys have here keeps giving me gas.”

“I’m sorry to hear–”

“–It all tastes like crap. The bathrooms are filthy, and they smell like – well, they smell like crap, too. There’s garbage everywhere, people keep stealing my stuff, and everything’s way too expensive. And the chairs aren’t comfortable, and they’re all falling apart anyway. Everything is falling apart. It’s like each year I’m paying more and things just get worse.”

Moira waited a solid three-count to make sure he was done, before responding. “I’m so sorry to hear that, sir. It sounds like you’ve had a bad run.”

“You betcha.”

“I’m sure we can sort this out. What kind of candidates have you typically been voting for, sir?”

“Oh, Ron Ronson, all the way,” he said. He patted his heart. “I’m a Ron man, just like my dad.”

“Ron, every time?”

“Yup. Six elections and counting.”

“And things keep getting worse?”

“Yup.”

Moira bit her lip. “Have you tried not voting for Ron Ronson?”

He frowned and scratched his belly. “What do you mean?”

Moira sighed. “How about this, sir. What are you really looking for in a candidate?”

“I want stability! I don’t want things to keep sliding away. I want to feel safe.” He rubbed his belly and looked pensively at the ceiling. “I want somebody to hold me, and tell me it’ll be all right.”

“Well–”

“I got it!” he shouted. “I’ll vote for Ron Ronson!”

“Sir, but – why!?

“He’s the stable choice. And I’ve voted for him before, so he’s got to be doing something right. Thanks kid!”

Moira gave her head a quick shake and took a deep breath. She didn’t need to understand their choices, just accept them, after all. She shook off the last of her confusion in preparation for the next customer. And her heart sank.

A guy with a briefcase in one hand and a bundle of papers under the other arm approached. He set his case down on the counter and his papers spilled all over the place.

“Hello, sir. Can I take your order?”

“I have a lot of questions,” he said. “You see, I’ve been doing a lot of research.”

The line behind the man groaned, and Moira looked pleading into the air. Her manager said there was always at least one crank every year. Just part of the job.

“Certainly, sir. What are your questions?”

“I want to know what the candidates mean with their road policies.”

Moira glanced at the clock, ticking away glacially, her lunch so impossibly out of reach.

The man continued. “Tom Thompson says he wants to expand our road network and reduce congestion. But John Johnson says he wants to extend our road system and minimize traffic issues. Then Ron Ronson wants to expand the road network but also minimize traffic issues, which sounds like the best of both worlds, but then there’s Don Donson who wants to exacerbate our road infrastructure and mitigate vehicular delays, which I understand worked very well for France. But then even Sam Samson has a great idea by looking at the problem from a different angle, where he wants to downsize jams and upsize municipal en-roadening. And Ben Benson, well, he says it doesn’t make sense to spend money on new roads if we can’t even afford to fix the old ones, but that doesn’t make any sense to me. And Jen Jenson is even worse, not wanting to spend on new or old roads.”

Moira felt her pulse begin pounding at her temples. Were roads this important? She hadn’t even considered it before, but this guy came armed for war, and the other customers were starting to grumble. On the other hand, maybe a customer who was interested in the details was a good thing.

He pulled out a bunch of pie charts and pointed to them. “I’ve done extensive analyses, but there are discrepancies, and we’re going to comb through the data until we resolve them.”

“Yes, sir,” she said meekly. She looked at the pie charts with dread, but then suddenly an idea occurred to her – something her manager had brought up in their morning meeting.

“Say, sir, you seem really passionate about the condition of our roads.”

“Oh, yes indeed. More than anything else.”

Moira smiled. “Would you say… it’s the single issue you’re interested in?”

“Hmm,” said the man, gripping his chin with his thumb and forefinger. “Why, yes, I suppose I would. I want to feel like I really put the effort in. You know, be real passionate about at least the one thing.”

Moira rang the single-issue voter bell, grinning wide, and the whole line of customers cheered. “I have just the thing for you!”

She handed him the dessert menu, and his eyes almost immediately lit up.

“Yes, I see now! Sam Samson it must be! Thank you!”

It felt good to see the line moving again, as everyone deserved a turn. But still, she felt a pang of disappointment. What if he had been interested in more than just the one issue? What if he had been truly informed? Maybe she could have learned something from him.

The next guy rushed up to the counter and snapped her out of it. He had a five o’clock shadow and his eyes darted manically.

“Hello–”

“Tax cuts!” he said. “Just give me the tax cuts!”

“Um, okay sir. Are you a property owner?”

“No.”

“Do you own a business?”

“No.”

Moira pursed her lips. “Are you employed?”

“No.”

“Do you have children?”

“No.”

Moira drummed her fingers on the counter.

“Do you shop?

“No.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “Don’t have any money because of all the taxes – which, no, I don’t pay. Come on, there’s got to be something! I’m tired of everyone stealing from me.”

“Well, maybe,” Moira said. She reached for the cheese menu, but then grabbed the wine menu and he snatched it from her. His eyes skittered over the page and then stopped dead.

“Whoa whoa whoa,” he said, woodpeckering the menu with his finger. “What’s this?”

“That? It’s a tax rebate. Some candidates promise to return tax money if they get elected.”

“Oh, jackpot,” he said breathlessly. “Jen Jenson, you just got a vote. Thanks!”

Moira shrugged. The customer was always right, after all, though she wondered where the money would come from. The next person up at the counter was a woman not much older than she was. She was tall and squinted up at the panels behind Moira.

“Hello! Can I take your order?”

“Yeah,” she said, drawing it out. “I’ll have the Big Mac meal, with a Coke and an extra order of large fries on the side.”

“Oh, sorry, ma’am, we don’t sell that here. You’re looking for the restaurant just a block down the street.”

“Oh, cool. Thanks, dude.”

And so the day went for Moira, with a long, slow trickle of citizens doing their civic duty, more or less, and the occasional person looking to get their parking validated. By the time her shift ended at eleven PM she was thrilled to see Nina take her place, because she was utterly worn out. She hung up her apron with a limp arm and shuffled for the door.

And that’s when Ricky entered, holding a big soda cup. While her dress-code was casual-plus-apron, the people who worked at the Burger Autocrat across the street all wore crisp uniforms, polished jackboots, and of course an assortment of armbands.

“Heil, fellow wage slave,” he said.

“Hiya, Ricky.” He looked much too relaxed for a work day, and the constant sips from his straw grated on her, as management didn’t allow staff to drink on shift. She stifled a yawn. “Come to gloat?”

“I’m just saying,” he said, “elections are a lot easier when you decide the outcome first, and then do the busy work. It really is a better system.”

She shrugged. “I don’t know.” Then she closed her eyes and rolled her sore neck, and flexed her aching muscles, and for a moment was lost in the simple pleasure of a good stretch. When she opened her eyes, she saw the Burger Autocrat across the street was on fire.

“Ricky, your job is burning.”

“Hmm?” He turned, took a sip. “Ah, well. When it’s good, it’s really good. But people get really into it. And then when it’s bad…”

“They burn the house down.”

“Yeah. Oh well.” He turned back to her. “That’s a tomorrow problem. Say, you want to catch a bite?”

“Sure, why not,” Moira said.

“Did you vote?”

For just a moment her eyes widened. She looked back to the counter, where Nina was already swamped with the undulating customer line, and her shoulders fell. “Nah,” she said. “Too tired. Can’t even think straight to reason out a candidate.”

“Well, who do you feel like voting for?”

“Food.”

“Fair enough,” said Ricky.

He tossed his cup in the trash and helped her put her coat on, and then they left together, hand in hand.

November 15, 2022 22:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

73 comments

Jack Bell
02:15 Nov 20, 2022

The political question is, Who is Moira? The existential question is, Who's paying her wages? There's actually a nightmarish vision of the final bland smiling merger of Big Business and Big Government at the heart of this. "McDemocracy" is a fine word - such an ugly, difficult word, it spills from the mouth like an ill-fitting collection of inedibles.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:11 Nov 20, 2022

Yes, such a partnership does sound terrible, although "final bland smiling merger" has a certain ring to it :) It reminds me of privacy - how we were all first terrified of losing it, and then how we voluntarily spent hundreds (thousands?) of dollars to buy phones that let corporations and governments track our positions and habits 24/7. And then they use it to show us ads. It's a confusingly boring dystopia, but I guess it could be worse. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Jack Bell
03:28 Nov 21, 2022

See, it’s the Oedipus myth again! Exhilarated by new pastures, we surge into the internet chasing limitless knowledge and freedom of expression, and, like you say, end up back in the arms of the all-loving Nanny McState.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
23:17 Nov 19, 2022

Some great lines-this one is my favorite- “I just have one more question. I see a lot of promises here, but I’m on a diet.” “Not to worry, ma’am,” Moira said. “They’re all empty.”

Reply

EC Sheedy
01:02 Nov 21, 2022

A work that is overall simply awesome. And I agree with Marty B. One of my favorite exchanges in the piece. So damn good . . .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
21:34 Nov 20, 2022

Thanks, Marty! They're also gluten free, so everybody wins :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Tommy Goround
21:26 Nov 19, 2022

Clapn

Reply

Show 0 replies
EC Sheedy
21:15 Nov 19, 2022

Absolutely wonderful!

Reply

Michał Przywara
17:29 Nov 20, 2022

Thanks, Ec! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jacob Brown
16:32 Nov 19, 2022

I wish I could delete my memory and read this for the first time again! Absolutely brilliant story. Loved the part with the woman ordering a Big Mac, super hilarious!

Reply

Michał Przywara
07:17 Nov 20, 2022

Thanks, Jacob! Your comment has made my evening :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
15:28 Nov 19, 2022

The verdict is out! Satire is the flavour of the month. ( I wonder if I get to see a collab between you, Deidra and Scott someday, it will be epic). I'm late in catching up on reading this week, but this was a treat. Right from the conception of the idea to the execution of it, it's on point. Brilliant work, Michal👏

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:57 Nov 20, 2022

Thanks! I don't think I've ever done political satire before, but this prompt seemed a good fit. I'm glad it worked out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
15:07 Nov 19, 2022

This is brilliant madness, my favorite! Smart, clever, fun to read and even more fun to ponder. The nuggets of accuracy are plentiful and your approach is so fresh - on so many levels! I enjoyed every word. :)

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:30 Nov 20, 2022

Thanks so much, Susan! I'm thrilled to hear that :) It was fun to write, if a little maddening.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
12:53 Nov 19, 2022

This is brilliant satire. The menus tying in with the issues. I especially liked the guy who voted for Ron Ronson 6 times in a row, yet his situation keeps getting worse. The ending was perfect: eating is important. Someone famous (I don't remember who) once said that it's impossible to be philosophical on an empty stomach. The story was all-encompassing and engaging. Great work, Michal.

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:30 Nov 20, 2022

Thanks, Delbert! I'm thrilled to hear that. It was both fun and infuriating to write :) I'm not sure who said that quote, but yeah, food trumps ideals.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
06:56 Nov 20, 2022

I'm having trouble with this week's prompts, so the infuriating writing has begun for me. LOL Keep on writing those great stories, Michal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
03:04 Nov 18, 2022

Delicious satire - appreciate the “Creative Nonfiction” tag, because… Ugh. It’s all too real. The different “menus” are great. There’s something for everyone, but at the same time, nothing for everyone. Amazingly, the issues are the same everywhere. We live in a high-cost area that has the worst roads in the county. Go figure. I’m with Moira - I’ll vote for food!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:34 Nov 18, 2022

Heh, thanks Cindy :) Maybe more creative than non-fiction, but inspired by a local mayoral election recently. I thought a more absurd approach to the subject was also fitting. I don't know about that food, to be honest. It promises to be satiating but the next day I'm hungry again :) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
14:25 Nov 17, 2022

Haha this is a one of those stories that is funny because it's so sadly true. Politics is a perfect response to this devoid of logic prompt. It is a feelings game, sadly, and I'm sure many people would be in favor of a McDemocracy's. You gave us an example of every kind of voter out there, so I suppose everyone who's read this (or is going to read this) is going to either get a rude awakening (that couple wanting to feel like they're doing something without actually doing something - 🤦‍♀️)or find this laughingly relatable. I'm interested...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:48 Nov 17, 2022

Thanks Anne Marie! This story actually underwent some edits since I first posted it, mostly because there wasn't really a *change*. So I'm thrilled you pointed out how Moira's attitude shifts :) Keep people hungry and working for crap wage, and they won't have time to vote :( The food menus were mostly just having some fun. The seniors menu: because he's old and stuck in the past. The salad menu: because salads are green and so is the environment. The dessert menu: because of his predisposition for pie charts :) The cheese menu: maybe ...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
23:12 Nov 17, 2022

Ahhhh, okay yes now the food correlations seems obvious! Thank you for spelling it out for me so I can laugh along with everyone else 😂 This, of course, is me, not you. My husband will tell you I am sometimes slow to get the joke. I enjoy this story so much more fully now! I also forgot to mention how much I loved the comment the woman made about being on a diet to which Moira assured her that the promises were empty. Ugh so much goodness here. Yeah, saying and doing are not the same thing. The doing is hard, but I think your story and Moi...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ela Mikh
00:59 Nov 17, 2022

Interesting story and an unusual setting, it's Utopia-like Wouldn't be nice if we could just browse the menu and come to our senses? Love the ending - food always wins :) thank you for sharing

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:18 Nov 17, 2022

Thanks, Ela! Glad you enjoyed it :) Yeah, when you're hungry, little else matters.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
18:14 Nov 16, 2022

-Welcome to McDemocracy’s. Can I take your order?” (almost over the top for me). -moira.... A perfect name. -“Do you have any preferences? Hatred perhaps, or fear? Those are two of our best sellers.” I wish this line was an entire story. "Well what do you fear? Maybe snakes are fire?" I feel returning to 92% taxation. I feel pain a quarter million dollars per kid to go to college. (Real or imagined fear) (bumps up The comedy to a full satire) -“Sometimes the favourites come back,” Moira said. It's true. Only McDonald's could have this li...

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:31 Nov 17, 2022

Thanks, Tommy! And for the guidance as well. By the way, "coughs of brilliance" is a fantastic expression :) I changed things a bit, but I'll see about taking another crack at it. Still a couple days.

Reply

Tommy Goround
22:08 Nov 17, 2022

You're good. I've failed on "exploding birth tribe" "Hank the hampster who gets burried but is not dead." etc. Long week. I need to get sanity at McDentist. (sic) thinking aloud: There's that annoying dentist that likes to make small talk. He thinks that a little pain is good for clarity. And Moira is his assistant. .... laa laa la

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
02:47 Nov 16, 2022

Does Canada have mid-term elections at the same time as the U.S.? If so, this is a timely piece for both political settings, but I agree with Tommy...very difficult to render in a way that isn't mildly revolting to a sensibility that can be called properly human. There's just too much raw cynicism involved, but the the story is a valiant satirical effort.

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:45 Nov 16, 2022

Heh, thanks Mike :) The cynicism might be me :) We don't have midterms like that, but we did just recently have a municipal election in Winnipeg. Eleven candidates, miserable voter turn out, and lots of complaints about the way the city is going - and perpetually, our roads. So what did we do? Basically re-elected the same government :) I'm the single issue voter. I'll see if I can smooth this out a bit. Had some good struggles with this theme, lots of false starts. This prompt screamed politics to me, but that's always bound to get mess...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.