0 comments

Fantasy Urban Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

Mona and her brother and parents went to a Flea Market for the afternoon. Her brother was looking at Roller Blades, her mom and dad were looking at Antiques, but Mona just sat on a bench, looking absentmindedly up at the sky.

"Another day in this boring town..." Mona thought to herself.

It was then that Mona's mother walked up to her. "Hi, Mona. We're going to go get some lunch now. Let's find Charles and Pablo and go back to the car!" she said.

"Okay..." Mona said.

Mona's mom saw her husband and son at a kiosk, and walked up to them. Mona walked up with her mother, but she stopped when she saw a set of paint in jars, spray paint cans, and a large paintbrush on the table at a market stand.

For some unexplained reason, Mona could sense a gut feeling that there was something very special about that Paintbrush. 

"Hey there, little lady. You seem bored, like you feel like your life is missing something. Try this paintbrush...it's not just ANY Paintbrush, it's MAGICAL!"

Mona asked the woman who manned the market booth how much the Paintbrush cost.

The woman dressed in Hippie garb said "You pay 5 dollars for the Paintbrush, and you keep the paint jars and Graffiti Spray Cans for free. I'm making this deal for you because you need this." said the Hippie Lady.

"Okay, here's five dollars." Mona said, paying the Hippie Lady.

"Let me put these in a burlap sack for you..." said the Shopkeep.

After the Shopkeeper bagged Mona's new Art Supplies in a Burlap Sack, Mona carried the sack in her arms and walked towards her mom and dad.

"Oh, honey, what did you get?" Mona's Dad asked.

"I got some Art Supplies from a tent over....there?!?!?"

Mona gasped when she realized that the tent where she had bought the art supplies had disappeared into thin air.

So the family got Mona's brother, Pablo, and the family went out for lunch at the Hamburger Restaurant.

Later that afternoon, Mona took her Brush and paints and went for a walk, until she stopped at an empty store building, with a sign that said "For Rent" on the door. Mona decided to paint something on the empty wall on the back.

She was deciding what to paint when she decided to paint a window. So she painted the outline of an old-fashioned clay and brick house window. As it was drying, Mona got the idea to paint a multicolor backdrop in spray paint, so she shook up her cans of spray paint and got to work.

Then, when the outline for the window dried, she painted a field of flowers with the canopy of a tree peeking through the left side on the other "Side" of the "Window".

"It needs something else..." Mona thought to herself. She then declared to herself "I know! Butterflies!"

So Mona painted two Butterflies fluttering out of the "Window" in the wall.

A bright yellow light flashed over the window, temporarily blinding Mona. When Mona opened her eyes again, she could see that the flowers on the ground on the other side of the window were swaying in the wind, and the Butterflies fluttered away.

Overcome with Curiousity, Mona reached an arm at the window and gasped when her hand went straight through. At that point she decided to jump through the window, and was shocked and overjoyed at what she was seeing: A Field of Flowers, trees, and on the horizon, there were hill dotted with Trees and flowers. Mona ran through the fields, exploring the landscape, until she reached empty whiteness.

Mona decided that she would come back tomorrow to expand the landscape after school, so she jumped out the window, grabbed her art supplies and headed home.

The next day, Mona went back with her brother Pablo to the empty store front.

Mona threw her paints and brush through the window, and jumped through it herself. She carried her bag with her as she walked to where the Landscape faded into blank white. She painted a waterfall with a River, a Pine Tree Forest, Ducks, Fish, and a herd of Deer.

"Wow, Mona! This is amazing!" Pablo gasped.

Mona and Pablo felt thirsty, so she tried taking a drink of water from the River, and it was the most delicious water she ever drank. Mona decided that she was hungry, so she painted a farm house, and a field full of yummy Fruits and Vegetables. They ate an Apple and a Cabbage.

Then Mona decided to head home.

The next day Mona brought her friends Helen and Jeff to the mural she painted.

"That's a pretty painting, Mona!" Helen said.

"Check this out!" Mona said, sticking her hand through the "Window".

"Whoah!" Jeff gasped.

Mona jumped in and said "Come on in!"

Helen and Jeff then jumped through the window, too. They were pleasantly surprised by what they saw.

"Cool! How did this happen?" Helen said.

"With my magic brush!" Mona said, holding up her paintbrush. "I paint things with the Brush and it comes to life!" Mona said.

"Do you think you could paint a Go-Kart Track? Or a Roller Coaster?" Jeff suggested.

"Sure! I can make us those!" Mona said.

Mona then painted a Go-Kart Track and a Roller Coaster. The three pre-teens frolicked for hours riding the Roller Coaster, Go-Karting, swimming in the Waterfall Pond, and eating fresh fruit.

The three kids explored and added on to this new world for almost a week, until the next weekend. The next weekend, a Demolition company bulldozed the building, destroying Mona's mural and the portal to the new world with it.

Mona sat in her room and cried. She decided to go for a walk. She passed by a fence and painted Sunflowers on it, then she passed by several store front buildings and painted a Cherry Blossom Tree in front of Mt. Fuji, a Seascape, and a Tiger in the Jungle on each of them. When she got back, she painted Ivy vines on the fence in front of her own house, and went inside for the day.

The next day, her mother walked in and said "Mona, I have a present for you!"

"What is it?" Mona asked.

Mona's mother then gave her a Canvas.

"Thank you, mom!"

"Well, you've impressed the entire town with your murals! You've earned a little reward!" replied Mom.

When Mona's mom left, Mona got an idea.

She painted a window on the Canvas showing a Flower Field. Mona then painted Butterflies. When Mona hung the Canvas on the wall, a bright yellow light enveloped the "Window" and the Butterflies fluttered off the Canvas and out the open window.

Curious, Mona stuck her hand into the window, and her hand went through.

June 08, 2021 03:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.