Resolutions for a New Hare

Submitted into Contest #231 in response to: Write a story in the form of a list of New Year's resolutions.... view prompt

22 comments

Funny Fantasy Middle School

I’ve decided that I’m a little too competitive.


In the new year, I’d like to be less competitive. I’d also like to win more races. Not because I’m going to be competitive, because I won’t be, or, at the very least, I’ll be less competitive, but ideally, I won’t be competitive at all, and so competitiveness will have nothing to do with the fact that I will absolutely dominate every race I enter.


Less cutthroat enthusiasm, more trophies.


More winning.


And so I am resolved.


I’d like to befriend more tortoises. I currently have no tortoise friends, and I think that’s a problem. I think that’s a big problem for me. I want to understand tortoises. I want to know how they tick. Not so I can use that information to beat them at races. That’s not it at all. Why would you even suggest that? I’d simply like to know more about them, because they’re so fascinating. Besides, they won’t be winning more races anyway, because the first time was a fluke. Do you know what a fluke is? A fluke is when you’re a hare and you take a quick nap in the middle of a race, because you went a little too hard the night before at Benny Badger’s Pub in anticipation of a big victory, and you think you can squeeze in a little slumber, because you’re racing a TORTOISE, and the next thing you know, you’re waking up to the sound of a crowd cheering on some dumb reptile who took advantage of your state of exhaustion. Clearly, one thing I’m going to learn about tortoises this year is that they have no sense of integrity. What kind of creature would crawl past their competitor while he was asleep instead of waking him up so that he could beat them fair and square?


Not that I plan on focusing anymore on negative incidents from my past.


In fact, that’s the next item on the resolution list my therapist is making me write.


“Do not focus so much on the past.”


See, I put quotes around it and everything.


I am not going to spend the rest of my life berating myself just because I had to take a siesta for the good of my mental health while some uncaring reptile giddily laughed in my face as he stole a moment of glory from me. It’s not my problem that tortoises don’t care about mental health. I’m sorry they’re made to be so unfeeling, but hares are not, and I have to take solace in that. Hares only live to be about three or four years old. I’m two, and that explains why I had a breakdown after the race. It wasn’t because I lost, because I didn’t. Not really. If you think about how many alternate realities there are, you have to know that I probably won that race in all the realities where I didn’t stop to take a nap. And since I probably won the majority of races in other realities, that means, overall, I’m the winner. I’m the winner and I’m two-years-old, which means the breakdown wasn’t a breakdown, but a break-through. It was a mid-life opportunity, which is the word my therapist uses instead of “crisis.” She doesn’t believe there is such a thing as a crisis. Only an opportunity for growth.


I am growing. Just not my ears, hopefully, right?


Hahahaha


I resolve to try stand-up comedy in the new year.


I believe I can take my pain and use it to heal others. Other animals who should have been rewarded for their natural skill and ability, but, instead, were cheated by animals with shells. I bet somewhere there’s a leopard losing a marathon to a hermit crab. I want to help that leopard. I want him to know that the hermit crab is a sad, pathetic little loser who might go around thinking he’s special just because he won a single race, but that, if he was a real winner, he’d agree to a rematch, like the one I suggested to the tortoise.


No surprise here, but the tortoise doesn’t want to race me again. I thought it would be fun if we started off the year with a second race. Just for fun. Just for laughs. I said we could do it for charity. All the money we raise could go to a Home for Wayward Tortoises so they don’t grow up thinking that cheating is acceptable. The tortoise didn’t want to hear it. Both because he wasn’t interested and because he doesn’t really have ears. I had made a resolution to win a rematch, and now the new year hasn’t even started, and I’ve already broken one of my resolutions, and whose fault is that?


Not mine.


Not that I want to lay the blame. I’m done laying blame. My next resolution says “No laying blame.” It’s in quotations, and I even underlined it.


And so I am resolved.


I no longer blame myself for being overly confident. Confidence is, after all, a good thing. If anybody should be blamed, it’s my mother for convincing me that I could do anything. Clearly, that was a lie. Clearly, I cannot do anything. Clearly, I cannot take a nap in the middle of a race and still win that race. I wish she had clarified her position when she told me that I could achieve anything I put my mind to. Had she merely said, “You can achieve anything you put your mind to provided you don’t take a nap while you’re putting your mind to it,” maybe things would have turned out differently for me.


Who’s to say?


No blame here.


Not one bit.


But if there was a bit, that bit would go to my mother.


And to the tortoise for having no sportsmanship.


And to the officials in charge of the race for refusing to disqualify the tortoise for illegally refusing to wake up his competition.


Luckily for all those folks, there isn’t going to be any blame in the new year.


Or bitterness.


Or hard feelings.


Just a new hare ready to take on the world with zero competitive antagonism and an open mind that wants to learn all about tortoises for no particular reason and definitely not so he can destroy them all anytime they dare decide to race against him.


I’m going to put quotations around all of that, and take it with me when I see my therapist this afternoon.


Until then, I think I’ll take a quick nap.


I promised myself that next year I would get a lot more sleep.

December 31, 2023 01:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

02:31 Jan 13, 2024

I really thought you would win or get shortlisted. I guess it just speaks to the talent here on Reedsy, and also to the subjective nature of judging art. Looking forward to reading your next submission. -CC

Reply

Story Time
17:55 Jan 13, 2024

Thank you, Clara. As long as people are reading and enjoying, then I'm satisfied.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jody S
23:12 Jan 10, 2024

This is a fun take on the prompt! A narrative list! Interesting character, the hare! I love that he loves his naps!!

Reply

Story Time
03:22 Jan 11, 2024

Thank you so much, Jody. I, too, love a nap.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:48 Jan 10, 2024

I love new takes on fairy tales. We know these stories so well, so to take it on and have the reader see it from a whole new perspective is delightful.

Reply

Story Time
03:23 Jan 11, 2024

Thank you so much, Mary Lynne!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:27 Jan 09, 2024

You really captured him. Or you would have, if he wasn't all over the place. :-) Lovely how you managed to flit about and still have time for a nap. Great story.

Reply

Story Time
19:43 Jan 09, 2024

Thank you so much, Trudy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:59 Jan 09, 2024

Hahahahaha ! Lovely, creative response to the prompt !

Reply

Story Time
19:43 Jan 09, 2024

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:41 Jan 05, 2024

Really memorable story- not an easy task! What is clever (and funny) about it is it feels so real, so now. This could be a master class on the 'show, don't tell' rule. I need to read more from your library. -CC

Reply

Story Time
21:27 Jan 05, 2024

Thank you so much, Clara.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:47 Jan 02, 2024

Ha ha! I know this guy - except he's a ten year old girl. This was a great read - plenty of amusing subtext and I love the fact that the hare has a therapist. The only edit I would suggest, and I'm not sure its possible - can you put an actual underline under the text that the hare says he has underlined?

Reply

Story Time
21:07 Jan 02, 2024

I'll take a look. I rarely use the underline feature anyway so it didn't occur to me, but that's a great suggestion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
02:50 Jan 01, 2024

Haha I love his hare. You have created a beautiful character with so much angst. I love the fact that he proclaims a resolution only to justify not doing it, or it not being his fault. He blames everyone other than himself for his failures, even his mother who failed to adequately prepare him for life by not specifying the dangers or napping during a race. Great voice and characterisation. Happy new year!

Reply

Story Time
03:42 Jan 01, 2024

Thank you so much, Michelle! Happy new year to you as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna W
01:40 Jan 01, 2024

I'm resisting the urge to google whether rabbits only live to 3 or 4 years old, because I fear the truth would make me sad! haha. Got a good laugh at this ambitious reflection from a classic rabbit friend. Cheers to the new year!

Reply

Story Time
04:36 Jan 02, 2024

I always like learning something new whenever I write a story, so I looked it up, and yes, I guess they only live three to four years. I was equally as upset, but I suppose it makes sense.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:23 Dec 31, 2023

I absolutely loved this! Mid-life opportunity, haha!

Reply

Story Time
02:42 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you, Melissa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:47 Jan 07, 2024

Heh :) A new hare for a new year :) Love your voice work in general, and it's really strong with this character. There even does seem to be an almost-breakthrough - like we can see it and just maybe we'll get there with a bit more work - but we're not there yet. Almost like another nap in another race. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
04:54 Dec 31, 2023

Hare's to your successful new year!🥳

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.