21 comments

Fiction LGBTQ+

“Tonight?”


“Yes, it’s going to be a small get together, a potluck!” Vanessa explained as she danced around the kitchen, grabbing at random bags of ingredients. “I’m making an pie, you can start by peeling those apples.” She handed Zyra a peeler, not leaving any time for a ‘but.’


“How many people is small?” Zyra asked after she washed up and started working on mauling a pile of granny smith apples. Zyra didn’t trust that their definition of small was the same, granted that she hadn’t had much social exposure since before her explosive breakup with Natalie.


“It’s just going to be a couple of Anson’s and mine close friends, like thirty?”


Yeah, that was not Zyra’s definition of small.


“What’s the occasion?” Zyra mumbled, hoping that Vanessa couldn’t hear the hesitancy in her voice. But, just the thought of thirty people surrounding her was enough to make her stomach twist.


“Just for funsies!” Vanessa turned to Zyra and placed a flour-covered hand on her shoulder. A small white cloud puffed up and ticked her nostrils, causing her to do a weird shudder while she tried to stop something between a sneeze and a cough. “If it’s too much for you, it would be more than okay for you to sit it out.”


Zyra’s heart lit up at the mere suggestion, and she almost shouted an ‘oh thank the lord,’ but a little nudge at the back of her messed up brain told her to shut up and stop being such a baby. Hiding in her brother’s basement after his wife—A woman Zyra had never met before—worked so hard to convince her brother to let Zyra live with them as she picked the pieces of her life back up. All Anson saw was an alcoholic who ran face-first into controlling relationships. Godsend Vanessa saw a chance for redemption. Anson was still quite stiff when talking with Zyra, but still, she didn’t blame him. Disappearing for five years, then suddenly coming crying at his doorstep does something to trust.


“No, it’s okay, it sounds like fun.” Vanessa turned to a giddy child at a candy store and went right in for a hug, sufficiently covering Zyra in enough white powder to make her look like a crack addict. “Now, get into hyperdrive with those apples, my apple pies are always high in demand!”


*****


Thirty is a lot of people.


Voices swirled, louder than the ones inside her own head. There was talk of accounts, new hires, promotions, demotions, rumored affairs, new couples, sexual assault reports, new policies, business, business, business. Zyra had taken her first step and wanted nothing more than to retreat. The basement door was right there. She could still run and hide like the baby Natalie always said she was.


No.


No.


Natalie is not here anymore. Natalie can’t put those words into her head anymore. Zyra was not a baby. She marched over to a woman standing by the drink counter with confidence that faded the mere moment Zyra opened her mouth.


“Hi.” The woman looked up from her phone, a face that clearly had hold of a steady makeup hand and higher than drugstore quality products. She looked like a goddess compared to what Zyra saw in the mirror. Dimples formed on her cheeks as she smiled a smile you greeted an old friend with.


“You must be Zyra, Anson’s little sister?” Zyra nodded, her throat all of a sudden too dry to speak. She reached out for a glass of some red liquid, a fancy type of juice that Zyra couldn’t pronounce. Her mind was more at ease when she noticed a lack of liquor at the table. Natalie always stocked up on her favorite rum, then berated her when she found Zyra drunk in the tub. “I’m Cassandra, Vanessa’s assisstant. She told me about you, it’s nice to finally meet.”


Her hands were smooth, and her aura smelled of vanilla. Zyra thought she got over a crush at first sight back in middle school, but the goddess in front of her proved that wrong. Zyra held the shake just until it became awkward. “You look beautiful.”


Abort mission.


That was wayyyyyy too forward.


“Aww, thank you. You're not too bad yourself.” Cassandra winked. Reverse abort, the mission still going successful. “So, what is it that you do?” Oh no. Back to abort.


“I’m in between things right now, working at the gas station at the moment.” Cassandra still held her wondrous smile, something Natalie would have never. “I am taking night classes though, bookkeeping.”


“Vanessa mentioned that, I hope that’s going well for you. Bookkeeping can open lots of doors, it's where I started. I loved that class.”


“Me too! Some of the stuff is hard to get but it’s a work in progress.” Cassandra waved to the free loveseat, and Zyra tried to still her racing heart as she took a seat next to Cassandra. The two of them were so close, knees almost touching. It tasted so much like a junior high dance, butterflies from almost holding hands in the back of the gymnasium.


“I would love to help you study, show you a couple of inside tips and tricks. Get you on top of that class, but I doubt you need much of my help for that. How about we get coffee sunday afternoon, my treat?”


“I’d love that.” It was agreed upon with another shake of her silky smooth hands. The whole warmness of the situation felt so foreign, something of a dream that Natalie said she would never ever find again.


By the time the party had come to a close, Zyra had a new number on her phone and a feeling of hope in her heart. Cassandra said her goodbye with a hug, one Zyra hoped she hadn’t held onto for too long. Zyra helped carry armfuls of dishes as Vanessa recalled conversations, listing off multiple names that Zyra would forget within the minute. Anson came up behind Vanessa while she was washing dishes and kissed her cheek, a scene right out of a romantic cliche.


“I saw you talking with Cassandra by youself,” Anson commented, tasking himself with drying dishes. “You two seemed to hit it off.”


“Yeah,” Zyra mumbled, fumbling with a dirty napkin that founds its way into her hands. “She was nice.” Anson reached out a slightly damp hand onto her arm and gave it a light squeeze. He hadn’t done that in years. Zyra met his eyes and swear she could feel the comfort take hold of her soul.


“I’m so proud of you.”

May 10, 2021 04:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

VIDYA SAGAR
06:29 May 19, 2021

A very interesting story. I liked the conversation between Cassandra and Zyra. I can relate to Zyra's feelings of unease to attend the party. But the feeling of hope it brought her after the party, was worth all the effort. Her brother's appreciation sealed it all. Good job Lynn.

Reply

Lynn Penny
23:10 May 20, 2021

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it. Your words mean a lot to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
16:42 May 18, 2021

Sweet story. I'm happy for Zyra!

Reply

Lynn Penny
16:55 May 18, 2021

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abhishek Todmal
10:08 May 18, 2021

"Mission abort", an inner monologue I am certain has traversed through many a spirited mind. I would beg to differ with Zyra being "wayyyy too forward." In my experience, such a detail constitutes rather a polite phrasage. Amply more suited than perhaps a kiss first and hello second. Hope the apple pie turned out good ! Vivid storytelling, as always :)

Reply

Lynn Penny
16:55 May 18, 2021

Thank you! I always love the trope of self-conscious flirting that ends up working out, but I totally agree. Wish people would be wayyyy too forward with me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lucy Hutchinson
04:17 May 16, 2021

My favorite line was... It tasted so much like a junior high dance, butterflies from almost holding hands in the back of the gymnasium. I think while you were editing you may have missed a couple more... held onto for too long. Try Grammarly maybe, it doesn't work for everything I want to say but you can dismiss it and move on to a typo or whatever. (I read below that you don't like the editing part! hehe great job!

Reply

Lynn Penny
19:35 May 16, 2021

Thanks, that's my fav line as well. Is it really sad that I do use Grammarly and I still missed stuff?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brittany Gillen
19:12 May 11, 2021

Lynn - Thank you for sharing your story. It is jam-packed full of such interesting details. There is so much going on with Zyra that the reader is just dying to learn more. My favorite bit was the section where Vanessa gets the flour on Zyra's shirt and it puffs up in a cloud. It was such a great visual image, and it was an interesting way to show the cloudiness of Zyra's emotions. I also liked the use of the interior thoughts about "aborting the mission." It gave her such personality. My feedback would be that your dialogue sounds ...

Reply

Lynn Penny
00:49 May 12, 2021

Thank you! I love the feedback, I'll be sure to work on it for next week. I love soaking up all the advice I can to improve.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alison Brewis
18:11 May 11, 2021

I can't decide who I identify most with!- I used to love parties but now I might be more likely to hide in basement. I noticed a few typos: My apples pies-> my apple pies Your not too bad-> you're Something Natalie would of never-> would have never its where I started-> it's

Reply

Lynn Penny
00:47 May 12, 2021

Thank you! I hate editing with all my heart, so I appreciate all the help I can get.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruth Smith
22:12 May 10, 2021

Wonderful story! It was well written and I liked the dialogue. It flows well too.

Reply

Lynn Penny
14:39 May 11, 2021

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina Chyll
20:39 May 10, 2021

Hi Lynn! You really have dialogue tags and the length of paragraphs nailed - not sure why I picked up on that other that it was spotless and very easy to read in that respect. You varied how you presented dialogue, so it was a very pleasant ride. I'd say the story doesn't have all that much tension in it, but then again, it's not the kind of piece that ends with body parts flying around or a high-speed car chase. I would perhaps add just a little more conflict here and there to add some interest so that the story feels more rounded rather ...

Reply

Lynn Penny
21:01 May 10, 2021

Thank you for the read! I'm glad to hear that about the dialogue, I was struggling a bit with it while writing. Funny you mention it feels like a chapter of a longer narrative, cause it's kinda what it is. I was struggling to get back into writing after a long hiatus so I just wrote a concept piece for a longer project I have planned.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fplldg Wakdwwdg
15:35 May 29, 2021

Yes sir! You're back again! Awsooooome story as always. Missed you a lot. And welcome back!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elizabeth Inkim
03:38 May 25, 2021

Hey, glad to see you back! Great story; I absolutely loved the dialogue and the characters. I think I connected too much with the internal dialogue of "Mission abort" and "held the shake just until it became awkward". The go-around was very fun too, thank you for the story! This week I sort of forced myself to write a story for this week, its called "Sweet Boy, Bitter Girls", and it's just a fun romp around town for a silly dare. I really needed something to laugh about, so if you've got time, I'd love to know what you think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Esther :)
15:43 May 19, 2021

I really enjoyed it and have one question. “I’m making an pie, you can start by peeling those apples.” Did you intend to put an? Did you mean *a pie*?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ashley Hassan
22:08 May 18, 2021

This was an amazing story <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nancy Drayce
07:10 May 17, 2021

Hi Lynn! I enjoyed reading your story! I really like your writing. Great story! 💙

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.