0 comments

Adventure East Asian Fantasy

Chen Lun Ki worked with his father and his 2 brothers on his family's farm while his mother cooked the Rice for supper. Chen Lun Ki picked Pears and put them in his Bamboo basket until the Basket was full. Chen's older brother Ha Jung Ki harvested Radishes and sowed seeds for new Radishes, and his other older brother Tong Ren Ki was in charge of tending to the Chickens, harvesting eggs and prepping the Chickens that couldn't lay any more.

Chen's father tended to the Cabbages.

After a humble supper of Rice, Radishes and Chicken, the family sold what was left over as extras. They were simple farm folk, so they would make just enough money that they just barely got by, but for the most part, they were happy with the life they had. They tended to and lived off the land, and they were friends with all members of their community in their humble village.

Then on one faithful day, Chen's mother was stricken by an illness. The village Doctor checked on Chen's mother, and he told the Farm Family that his mother needed a medicinal herb concoction that was only just barely out of the family's price range to make her well again. This news deeply saddened the boy, so he took a walk through the village.

On his walk, an old woman in a cloak walked by and said "Pardon me, young man, but I'm rather hungry, would you have a small piece if food you could spare?" Asked the frail elderly woman.

Chen Lun Ki dug out a Rice Cracker from his Rice Cracker pouch and handed it to the poor old woman, who accepted the Cracker with a smile.

"Thank you, you sweet young man. Since you did something for me, allow me to do something for you. Your mother is sick and needs Medicine to make her well again that you can't afford. I know where you can get the money you need to buy the Medicine your sick mother needs. Down the River 25 miles down is a forest surrounded by a lake on one end and a small mountain on the other end, in the middle of the lake is an island, and on this island is an abandoned Temple, a Gumiho lives in that Temple, and if she finds favor with your plight, she will grant you your wish, but if she finds you unworthy, a TERRIBLE Fate will fall upon you." Explained the old woman.

The Old Woman gave the young boy a sogo hand drum with a tiny bamboo stick.

"When you enter the abandoned Temple" started the temple. "Be sure to tap on this sogo hand drum with the stick nine times. No less, and no more. Good luck to you, boy." The frail old woman continued walking on her way.

Chen Lun Ki paid the boat man to rent a boat, and he rowed the boat on the river downstream until he made it to the end of the river. Just like the frail old woman said, there was a lake bordered by a forest, and in the middle of the pristine lake was an Island, and on that island was an abandoned Temple.

Chen Lun Ki paddled to the Island. When he reached the Island, he docked the boat, and he took the hand drum and tiny little bamboo stick.

Inside the Temple was a rusty Statue of Buddha in front of the wall in the back and a rusted Gong in the middle of the Temple chamber.

Chen Lun Ki tapped the Sogo hand drum with the tiny little Bamboo stick exactly nine times, just as the frail old woman in the cloak had instructed him to do earlier. Then, as if my some sort of magic, the Gong in the Middle of the chamber rang by itself nine times. The Statue of Buddha in front of the wall at the back of the Temple chamber sunk downwards under the floor, revealing a stairway leading down. Chen Lun Ki walked down the steps of the stairway, illuminated by torch light, at the bottom of the stairway was a mighty square chamber.

A giant, golden colored Fox with nine long tails sat on a reed mat.

"Greetings, young man, I am the Gumiho. If I seem thee worthy, I shall grant thee thy wish. What is thy wish?" Asked the giant golden colored Fox with nine tails.

"My name is Chen Lun Ki. My mother is sick, and I can't afford the medicine to make her well again." Chen Lun Ki explained.

The Gumiho stood upright, turned to face two doors made of engraved Jade in the left wall. "Turn to face the wall with me, boy!" Said the Gumiho.

Chen Lun Ki walked up and turned to face the wall with the two jade doors.

"Behind the door in the wall on the left is just enough money to afford to buy the medicinal herb concoction to make thy mother well again. Behind the wall on the right is so much money and treasures that you will be rich enough to never have to work again for the rest of thy life. Choose which door you want to open." The Fox instructed.

Chen Lun Ki was not interested in riches, so he opened the door on the left. Inside the room on the other side of the door was a small pouch full of coins. The Gumiho magically appeared in the room in a puff of smoke.

"Thou art worthy." Said the beast.

Chen Lun Ki said "Thank you! Thank you very much!"

The nine tailed Fox magically whisked away the boy back to his home with a divine cloud. Chen Lun Ki gave his parents the coins to buy his mother's medicine, and they went to the Apothecary and bought the Medicine to make Chen's mother well again, and Chen's mother made a full recovery almost immediately. When Chen's father asked Chen where he got the money, Chen explained that Down the River 25 miles down is a forest surrounded by a lake on one end and a small mountain on the other end, in the middle of the lake is an island, and on this island is an abandoned Temple, a Gumiho lives in that Temple, to see the Gumiho, one needed to tap on the hand drum exactly nine times. One night, when Chen and his family went to sleep early, Chen's father took the hand drum, rowed the boat on the river downstream until he made it to the end of the river, and paddled to the Island. When he reached the Island, Chen's father docked the boat, and entered the Temple. Inside the Temple was a rusty Statue of Buddha in front of the wall in the back and a rusted Gong in the middle of the Temple chamber. The old man tapped on the Sogo Hand Drum exactly nine times, and as if by magic, the gong rang out by itself nine times, and the Buddha statue sunk downwards under the floor revealing a stairway leading down.

Chen's father went down the stairs and into a large chamber. Inside the chamber was a giant, golden colored Fox with nine tails.

"Greetings." Started the Fox "I am the Gumiho. If thou art worthy, I shall grant thy wish."

Chen's father said "I want infinite wealth and prosperity!"

The Fox turned toward the Two doors in the wall made of engraved Jade.

"Behind the door on the right are bags of seeds, a bag of Rice, and dried fruit. Behind the door on the left is more money than can possibly be spent in one lifetime. Choose which door you wish to open."

Chen's father rushed to and hurriedly opened the door on the left. Inside the room was a massive grove of Pearl's, Jade, and gold coins. Chen's father prayed in gratitude to the Gods when the floor in front of the door collapsed, under the floor was all-consuming Hell-Fire. The floor around Chen's father collapsed, leaving one last pillar of floor for his father to cower in terror on.

"No, please! I don't want to die! Please, let me go!!" Pleaded Chen's father.

Then the pillar of floor under Chen's father fell, condemning him to a terrible death.

"AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!"

Meanwhile the Fox sat outside the door.

"...Thou art unworthy."

Before dawn that morning, the old lady from before left one bag of seeds, one bag of rice, and one bag of dried fruit on the door of the Farm. She then knocked on the door. When Chen opened the door, the old lady asked

"Hello, young man. May I please have that drum back? I'll trade you all of this!"

Chen Lun Ki, somehow understanding, returned the Sogo hand drum and stick.

"Thank you, young man. You are truly a selfless soul."

The old woman walked away.

May 25, 2021 01:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.