4 comments

Coming of Age Friendship Romance

The sun was coming up. Lisa and Paul had officially been up all night. Long nights were nothing new to theatre students especially when the shows were being put on. There is always some type of celebration for opening night: Dinner somewhere. Maybe a get-together at someone’s place. Something to celebrate the payoff for the weeks of rehearsing and making sure everything was done right. Everyone is on edge when going down to the wire. Everyone’s tired. Everyone’s punchy. Lisa was certainly both of those. Between her classes, her job, and this show, she had enough to handle. This was only the first night of a show that was scheduled to run for two weeks.

She wasn’t sure how it exactly happened, but she and Paul were sitting next to each other at dinner. They were in a class together but, other than that, they didn’t know each other. Paul had been assigned to props. Lisa was Stage Manager. They crossed paths a couple of times during run-throughs and performances. Paul showed up and did what he was told. Lisa showed up and had to deal with all of the problems that came with being a Stage Manager.

That was how it happened. Lisa was venting about having to deal with everyone’s problems in addition to her own. Lisa was the one who had it together and it would be helpful if someone else could have it together, too. The first scheduled show went off and it was a success. You couldn’t tell it was a train wreck behind the stage. That’s where Lisa came in. She was the one who was able to hold everything together long enough for the curtain to come down and the audience to leave the auditorium. Then, she could finally let out a sigh of relief and relax. After everyone got to leave the auditorium, Lisa could ease up and stop worrying.

Paul was sitting next to her and they started talking. Lisa needed that and she got it. Paul could tell Lisa was not in a good mood despite the feel-good atmosphere at the large table where the cast and crew were congregating for the Opening Night repast. And the last thing Lisa, a 23-year-old senior needed was an 18-year-old freshman. She had seen enough of his kind. Smart-ass know-it-alls who were still living with Mommy and Daddy but somehow know everything. Yes. Paul was a freshman. Yes. He was living with Mom and Dad, but he was also working and putting himself through school. Lisa could appreciate that. She also knew he was the quiet kid who sat in back of the class and noticed the professor’s occasional comments about Paul’s work on a project or the noticeable effort he put into the last test.

All it takes is eye contact at just the right moment. Lisa and Paul made that eye contact as she was going on about the challenges she was dealing with and meeting. Paul was born with a sense about him where he knew when someone needed to vent and all they needed was an ear. It would have been very easy for him to make a joke about her complaining and agitate her, but he could tell it was not an easy night for Lisa. So, instead of adding to her agitation like everyone else had been doing all week (Jesus. Lighten up, Patton. We’re going to be alright.”), Paul decided to sit back and let her blow off some steam.

Lisa felt better as the night went on. She was able to talk about things that didn’t involve the show. Paul was glad to do the same. It had been a long week of classes during the day and run-throughs at night. Dinner was good for the body. Conversation was good for the soul. Both people needed both of those things and both wanted to talk some more. Paul agreed to follow Lisa home. He parked behind her, got out of his car and into hers.

“I don’t mean to sound forward,” Paul said, “but why are we sitting in a car when your apartment is right there?”

Lisa snorted. “Don’t get ahead of yourself. We just met. I have enough problems, now I also have to worry about another guy trying to come home with me?”

“That’s not what I meant,” Paul said. “I just meant-”

“It’s alright,” Lisa said. “I don’t feel comfortable inviting someone in whom I’ve just met.”

“So, how are you doing now?” Paul asked. “You seemed to have a lot on your mind tonight.”

“I did,” Lisa said. “And I still do. It’s been a long week.”

“It’s been a long week for everyone,” Paul said. “It’s Production Week. Everyone has been dealing with the stress of run-throughs and making sure everything is right for when the curtain goes up.”

“Not only that, but there are also the classes we still have to take during the day,” Lisa said. “We need to go to class and do the assignments during whatever time we have between that and the call times for that night’s show. I still need to be at work. I have to pay my rent. No offense, but there’s a lot of things you don’t need to worry about when you’re 18 and living with your parents.”

“None taken” Paul said. He knew Lisa was right. Paul was still with Mom and Dad. It was his first semester in college and he wanted to go to this college, not because it was close to home, but because it had a good theatre program and he wanted to study Theatre.”

“Look,” Paul said. “I don’t mean to bother you. I just thought we had a good conversation tonight when we were out. You seemed like you needed to get some stuff off your chest and I’m glad I was able to listen to you. If you need to go inside, that’s fine. But if you still want to talk, I’m willing to listen.”

“I appreciate that,” Lisa said. “Most guys your age don’t want to just talk, or listen to someone vent. It’s weird, but at the same time, kind of refreshing.”

They both smiled. “I guess,” Paul said. “I don’t know. I just don’t say much. I tend to listen to people. Plus, it takes pressure off of you when you don’t know what to say.”

“Looks like it’s helpful to both people,” Lisa said. “Four years of college and all I see from freshman is horny guys who are trying to score. They think I’m easy.”

“Where did that rumor start?” Paul asked.

“From me,” she answered. “I went to high school near here. I was one of those girls who “matured” early. Boobs. No braces. Upperclassmen liked to talk to me, and I liked to talk to them. They had their driver’s licenses and cars. They’d drive me to parties. I’d go with them and get buzzed on beer.”

“And that made you easy?” Paul asked.

“No,” Lisa explained. “I would fall in with a group of girls and they would be talking about guys. Funny thing about alcohol. It makes you talk… A lot. So, these girls would go on and on about the different guys they had dated. Guys trying to get lucky. Guys thinking they were studs. I would hear these girls talk about the guys and how they think they have such a huge – well you know what guys like to say about themselves.”

Paul smiled and said, “Yes. I do.”

“Well,” she continued. “Girls talk about the guys and if a guy pisses her off she’ll talk about how it’s not so huge. In fact, it’s rather small.”

Paul laughed and said, “Ouch!”

“So, anyway, a guy brings me to a party. I have a couple of beers because I’m at a party and that’s what you do at parties. He takes me upstairs and we fool around. I thought that was what you did at parties. He’s a good-looking guy. The beers make him a little better looking. And we start making out and it gets hot. I didn’t have sex with guys right away, but I remember my first time. You always do. He wasn’t exactly my first choice for someone to lose your virginity with, but your first time is always weird.

“So, that was it,” Lisa said. “Word got around that I liked to sleep with guys, and I did; Especially the older guys. I went to parties, drank, and fooled around. As I got older, the guys I dated had moved on to college. Some of them went here. There are more parties in college than in high school.”

“I figured,” Paul said. He was thinking of Lisa being in a bedroom. She was an attractive woman. Paul was thinking about a chance to be in a woman’s apartment. She already said no, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t thinking about it.

“Well,” Lisa said. “I noticed something at the college parties. “There are different types of people there. You notice that. You see there are people who aren’t going anywhere with their life. There are people who partied in college and don’t know how to do anything else. They’re older than the rest of the group and they stick out in an awkward way. There are people who slide by. You can do that in college but only for so long. You can’t go far doing that in the real world.”

“So, you saw that?” Paul asked.

“Yes, I did,” Lisa said. “I saw people at parties more often than I saw them in class. I saw people who were going nowhere with their life. People who didn’t or couldn’t grow up. I didn’t want that. I wanted to do something with my life, not be some burnout who couldn’t go beyond college parties and not know how to do anything but drink until you can’t see straight,

“So, I didn’t go to the parties as often. Guys tried to take me, but I said, ‘No.’ I went to class. I studied. I got good grades. Next thing I know, I make the Dean’s List. After that, I was getting grants and scholarships. Soon I’m not paying for school. I get a job and I make enough money to move out. I’m graduating next year. No student loans. I already have a place. I’m going to start looking for a job. I’m going to get out of college with no debt, money saved, and a job lined up. Guys in college still hit on me, but I say, ‘No,’ and go home at the end of the night.”

Lisa’s phone buzzed. She picked it up and smiled.

“That’s my alarm,” she said. “I’m supposed to be getting up now.” She laughed. “Listen, I really enjoyed talking to you, Paul, but I need to change my clothes and put some deodorant on. I have a class in an hour.”

“Okay,” Paul said. “I’ll see you tonight.” He got out of her car and walked to the campus where his car was. He drove home to get his books for the day’s classes and stopped for a coffee on his way back to school. Later in the day, he had a class with Lisa. Lisa didn’t notice him, she was too busy talking to someone, but he could see the look on her face. It was a face that was craving sleep. He was back at the auditorium that night for the performance. He noticed Lisa as she did her job that night. There was a party following the show. Lisa was going. Paul made sure he was going. At the party, Lisa found herself stuck with a guy who was talking loudly and thinking what he had to say was pretty impressive. The guy made eye contact with Paul and motioned for him to join them.

“Come over, young man,” he said. “Let me tell you about our department.” Paul looked at Lisa, who rolled her eyes. The man, John, started to share his knowledge of the department and the school. Only when he wanted another beer did he leave them.

“Who was that?” Paul asked.

“That’s John,” Lisa said. “He’s supposed to graduate this year. He’s been trying to hook up with me ever since we met.” She yawned. “I need to get out of here before he comes back.”

“Can I walk with you?” Paul asked.

“Sure.”

The two left the party. “How are you feeling?” Paul asked.

“Exhausted,” Lisa said. “I’m going to sleep like the dead tonight. Thank God I don’t need to be in so early for the next show.”

“I’m sorry I kept you up,” Paul said. “I lost track of time.”

“We both did,” Lisa said.

The two continued to Lisa’s apartment. On the way, they talked some more. Paul told her about his high school and what he liked about college. He told her about the other classes he had and what he was hoping to do in the next semester, which wasn’t far off. Lisa offered him advice, especially about the teachers within their department. Before long, they reached Lisa’s apartment.

“Well,” she said, “It was nice to speak to you tonight. Maybe some time I could buy you a coffee to show my appreciation.”

“Tell you what,” Paul said. “I’ll buy the coffee. You bring a nip of Kahlua for me to show your appreciation.”

Lisa laughed and said good night. Paul walked to his car. It was late, but he wanted to take a ride and unwind from the classes and the show.

There was a route Paul liked to take. It ran along a lake he always liked to walk along. There was a parking lot on one side of it. He pulled into the lot and turned off the ignition. There was a full moon. The light of the moon gave enough light. Paul could see the parking lot around him. It had been a long day. Two days, actually; with a sleepless night between them. Why didn’t he just go home? Because home didn’t have this view. Besides, he wasn’t going to be there long. He just wanted some time to be by himself and this was a place he had always liked. He thought about Lisa and the talk they had. The moon was high above him, reflecting off the lake, as Paul nodded off to sleep.

November 17, 2020 22:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Gip Roberts
21:35 Dec 07, 2020

This got more and more interesting as I read it. I knew a guy who was pretty much like the ones Lisa described: He basically had everything handed to him on a silver platter growing up as far as opportunity goes and wound up with a scholarship to go to the second biggest university in the state. But as soon as he got there, all he did was party and ended up getting kicked out before he'd even finished one semester. I just don't understand people like that. But anyway, I liked this story. The only thing I think could be better is maybe tri...

Reply

Greg Gorman
22:22 Dec 07, 2020

Thank you for this. Maybe instead of the backstory, I could put in a little more dialogue. I try to give the reader a little insight to the characters. It can get wordy. Grabbing people's attention is the biggest challenge for me and it's always something I'm trying to work on: the hook.

Reply

Gip Roberts
03:34 Dec 08, 2020

And I just caught myself making another mistake: "It's" with an apostrophe ("I know it's intention is to establish who Paul and Lisa are...") instead of "its". I know for me, finding the right balance between description and dialogue is hard. In my story, "The Comment Section", I used way too much dialogue when I should have, as you say, given the reader a little insight into the characters.

Reply

Greg Gorman
20:55 Dec 08, 2020

I just read "The Comment Section" and gave a little review about it. It's a good story. I don't worry too much about spelling and grammar in comments. I figure people are just typing notes as they go along reading. Then again, I'm super embarrassed over my own typos and grammar mistakes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.