Tusks and Daggers Part Four: The Curse of the Dagger

Written in response to: Write a story about an object that has been around for centuries or passed down generations.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Adventure Romance

The trees blew around me, a blonde haired woman in a red silk blouse and blue jeans held my mother’s dagger.  Her green eyes stared down at my mother’s dagger, no age on it.  A brown haired man ran up next to her, his brown eyes gazing lovingly at her.  She passed it onto a blonde haired girl that looked like me, the sky turning red.  The scene faded to a dingy room in a decaying apartment building, the mother and father were lying lifelessly on a thin red blanket.  The little girl was crying, her tiny hands gripping a black leather bag.  Her dagger hung on her belt, a boy with red hair approaching her.  They grew up together, another blonde hair girl getting passed the dagger again.  This time they lay in a cave, bleeding from their sides.  Tears welled up in my eyes, the little girl gripping the black leather bag and running away from them.  This ancestor met up with white haired boy with dazzling blue eyes.  Once again they grew up, and another blonde haired girl with green eyes was standing over their dying bodies.  Shaking my head, tears streamed from my eyes.  This wasn’t fair, the scene fast forwarding to the parents of my mother.  His brown hair was brittle with sickness, her mother wheezing. 

“Go on, and break the cycle.” She wheezed, coughing up blood. “I want you to live a happy life. I love y-”  Tears flooded from my mother’s younger eyes, her hands gripping the worn black leather bag.  She stumbled down the street, my father waving at her.  Together they walked down the street to her future.  She grew up, and she stopped in front of me.  Pressing the dagger into palms, she kissed my forehead.  Wiping my tears away, her arms wrapped around me tightly.  

“The only way to break the cycle is to find true love and be happy.” She explained, her voice shaking. “I don’t want to see you suffer the same fate as all of us.  Maybe your magic will help you out.  I love you.”  Mina’s sword slid into her stomach, her blood dripping to her feet. She dropped to the ground, a sad smile curling on her lips.  

“Don’t go!” I screamed out in agony, Boran wrapping his arms around me as I jerked awake.  The orange rays of the dawn flickered in the trees, tears streaming down my cheek.  Sobbing into his shoulders, he kissed the top of my head.  Lifting up my chin,  he kissed my lips sweetly. 

“I know you have been through a lot, and I want to help you through it all.” He comforted me, pressing my head against my chest. “I know that today is the anniversary of her death and Miss Mina always held a ceremony for your mother.  Would you like to do that today?”  Shaking my head, he put me on his back.  The twins slumbered in their tents, my long green dress fluttering in the wind.  Stopping at the edge of the water, my tired eyes stared up from my reflection.  Her golden locket swung from my neck, my trembling fingers gripping it.  Boran shifted through our bag, pulling out a floating lantern.  Thank you Mina for packing this.  

“Thank you so much.” I wept pathetically, blue energy spinning over my palm.  Sticking it into the lilac lantern, a blue flame glowed in the center.  The rainbow river shimmered in the early morning sun, the paper lantern floating away. 

“I miss you so much, mom.” I sobbed violently, my fingers splashing in the water. “I wish you could see me now.  Mina fulfilled her promise of protecting me and taking care of me.  I knew you were sick in the end, and I forgive you for all of the pain you caused.”  Sitting back on my butt, Boran sat behind me. His rough brown wool shirt scratched my skin, his arms dragging me closer to him.  His woodsy scent filled with the warmth I needed, the minutes dragging by slowly.  A tiny portal opened, a letter fluttering down to my feet.  

“This was given to me by a friend of your mother’s and I would like you to read it.” Mina’s voice echoed around us, tears shaking her voice. “I am still sorry to this day.”  The portal closed, my trembling fingers wrapping around the aged parchment paper.  My heart shattered at my mother’s red wax seal, the rope twisted around the anchor.  Ripping it open, fresh tears welled up in my eyes.  Her neat handwriting scrawled across the yellowed page, a black and white picture of her holding me as a baby landing in my lap.  A warm smile brightened her face, the cottage we lived in reminding me of the good old days.  A blue dress hugged her tired body, my tiny hand holding hers.  Hugging the letter to my chest, my eyes fell back on the letter fluttering in the morning breeze.  

Dear Little Lottie,

If you are reading this then I am dead, and you are a beautiful young lady.  I had hoped to see you grow up, and make new friends.  Anyway, here goes it.  When I was younger my parents died, and I never wanted that for you.  The day you were born the sun shone brighter than the other days, your smile just like a sunflower.  Watching you run around the kitchen as I write reminds me of my childhood, sweet and pure.  Everyday I watch you play on the beach, your father and waving back at me as I make your favorite dinner again for the millionth time.  The salty sea air coming off of your guys’ skin filling my nose every time you come in.  The white sand dollar sits under my palm, the curse’s effect beginning to hurt me.  I know that I won’t make it and for that I apologize.  

During my research, I found that if you bring the blade back to its home the curse will die.  Lord Kanama is the kind ruler of that world and the dagger will glow when you are near its resting place.  Remember that I will always love you.

Love, 

Your Mother.

My salty tears soaked the page, Boran holding my hands.  A golden path lit up next to us, the dagger glowing.  Standing to our feet, we followed the path silently.  The vegetation got thicker, my dagger pulling me as branches scratched my face.  Our jaws dropped, a golden temple loomed in front of us.  Strange symbols flashed in my eyes, Boran taking my hands.  The mouth opened, the dirt crunching underneath our boots as we crossed the threshold.  The slamming of the door made me jump, torches flickering to life.  

“Just what do you think you are doing?” Sir Acorn snapped irritably, his tail smacking my cheek. “Everyone who comes in here never makes it out alive.”  Ignoring him, his whiskers twitched.  Boran snickered next to me, the ground shaking.  A rock creature charged at us, my arms glowing blue.  My blue scythe sat in my palm, Mary popping up behind my shoulders.  Jumping out of my skin, Kara groaned while rubbing the bridge of her nose.  Their white crystal blades sat in their palms, pleasant smiles plastered on their faces.  

“We will take care of this.” Kara offered lightly, Mary nodding in agreement. “I understand the importance of today.”  Hugging them until they couldn’t breath, I sprinted past the sisters.  Sir Acorn protested in my pocket, the door slamming shut behind us.  More torches flickered to life, the orange flames dancing in a strange breeze.  An icy breeze blew them out, a blade scraping against the crumbling walls.  Cold sweat dripped off of my brow, a dark energy approaching me.   A jolt of pain shot through my body, the wet sound of a blade sinking into my shoulder.  The torches’ flames came to life, my mother grinning evilly.  Inky black eyes darkened her once kind gaze, a deep male voice thundering from her lips.  My lips quivered, the blade fading away, my wound nonexistent.   

“Have you come to return the blade?” The deep voice rumbled, her hand hovering in my face. “If you wish to give the blade back, you must give me the locket.”  Shaking my head, this was the last thing she gave me.  Rage boiled in my veins, my fingers holding the locket with desperation.  

“What kind of a price is that!” I demanded passionately, her hand reaching for it. “How heartless can you be?” The crack of her slapping my face broke the still air, my ancestors lining the wall.  Bowing their heads in shame, the spirit of my mother stepped forward.  She smiled warmly, wrapping her arms around my shoulders.  Goosebumps popped up on my skin, her spirit cold enough to cool a penguin.  Tears shimmered as they crashed to the floor, her fingers wrapping around the locket.  Ripping it off my neck, the evil version of mother snatched the dagger from my belt.  

“Consider the deal done. Your heart for my heart.” He announced cheerfully, walking away.  The doors opened behind us, numbness gnawing in me.  My fists clenched until blood dripped onto the rough rocky floor, tears soaking my boots.  

“Why the hell did you do that!” I yelled hotly, wanting her gone. “That was all I had left of you.”  She was fading away, her lips moving but nothing coming out.  My vision grew fuzzy with fresh tears, her hands taking mine.  

“It was only to free us all.” She explained sadly, wiping away my tears. “ I love you and I miss you.”This is our final goodbye.  You don’t need a locket to remember me, it is all in here.” Her fading finger touched my heart, her lips pressing the top of my head.  Collapsing to my knees, my fists pounded against the ground.  

“This just isn’t fair.” I sobbed violently, my body trembling. “I feel like I'm losing you all over again.  I hate this! I hate this!  I love you so much, momma and I miss you.”  Giving me one pat on my head, her form broke into a flurry of white doves.  My ancestors turned into balls of light, the temple quaking.  Boran placed me over his shoulders, my fists pounding on his broad back.  Ignoring the pain, he carried me into the blinding morning sun.  Devastation dimmed my eyes, the temple decaying to a pile of golden dust.  Leaping off of his shoulders, I sprinted towards the pile.  Digging desperately at it, everyone watched me curl into a ball.  Boran sat down behind me and scooped me up.  Pressing my head into his shoulders, his strong arms pulled me close to his chest.  Tears soaked his shirt, him motioning for the others to leave.  Mina whined softly in the sea of trees, guarding us.  

“I know it hurts now, but time heals all wounds.” He uttered with tears in his voice. “I promise to be there when you are hurt, and when your heart is shattering.  I promise to be the glue that holds you together.  Let it all out.  I don’t care if we are here for weeks, I will hold you in my arms in this very spot.  I love you with all of my heart.”  We sat there all day until exhaustion won, allowing sweet slumber to take me into her loving arms. 

July 13, 2022 15:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Corey Melin
00:08 Sep 05, 2022

An emotional story very well done. Imagination continues to flow out of you. Peer beauty bursts forth Not sure if you would prefer more critiques of your stories by others . If so, then you have to critique others and eventually you will get more and more. That is what I did

Reply

Yvette Francaise
20:31 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you. I enjoy getting comments, and I will.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.