39 comments

Creative Nonfiction

❝Operation Dandelions❞


TW : Blood, death


★ ☆ ★


“Title of Documentary: Journey of Colony Founder BASK8


The garden was one of the few safe places remaining on the moon, having been abandoned years ago. The reason why, was deeply enshrouded in rumors, and that was enough to keep any suspecting astronaut far away from this quiet little room of glass.”


★ ☆ ★


“HELLO!!!!

IF ANYONE’S LISTENING TO THIS, PLEASE CALL MY INSURANCE. I’VE JUST HAD THE WORST TIME OF MY LIFE IN THIS FREAKING GREENHOUSE IN SPACE!!!”


It’s a rather special building, actually, as there was more to it than what you could see on the surface. I, myself, didn’t realize that there was a basement to it until I woke up in the basement.


Let’s set the scene. I was awoken… in complete darkness. My pod was glowing a cold blue. Not very welcoming, but then again… none of it was welcoming. As my eyes adjusted to the new lighting change, I realized it wasn’t completely dark, and that I was in a circular room, bland white, and that other pods like mine were around the walls.


Surrounded by ice and mutated glowing flowers, I had glanced around in confusion, waiting for some sign. I had no memory at the time, of anything, but I had been trained for this.


“This”, being humanity’s first shy attempt at preservation of bodies in space, my brain informed me. 


Memories flooded me, and as I carefully stretched my limbs. My internal clock was going haywire, but I could’ve just ask the resident robot how long I had slept, if it still had batteries.


I assumed I was in a greenhouse of some sort, and that it had been abandoned ages ago, considering the rust and that the only light was my pod and the mutated flowers.


I didn’t need to look over to the other pods to know they were dead. I wasn’t a biotechnologist for nothing.

(OK, maybe it was because of the loud flat line noise coming from them, BUT WE DON’T TALK ABOUT THAT HERE.)


The necessary questions popped into my head, but unlike last time, answers didn’t pop into my head with them.


I made a quick list in my head :

  • Where the holy grail am I??? More specifically: WHAT PLANET AM I ON??
  • Who am I again??
  • Why is everyone else dead?
  • Is there anyone looking for me? (Not gonna lie, I feel pretty important.)
  • And most importantly, WHERE IS MY LAPTOP??!?! 


Nostalgically playing Mice on Venus in my head, I selfishly wondered when was the last time I played Minecraft. (I was a pretty big gamer freak, although I kept to games where physics didn’t apply, because they made me laugh.)


It was at that moment, when I was reminiscing about Gellie the Jellie cat, who was waiting for me in my creative world, that I had doubled over, and coughed blood into the crook of my now skinny elbow.


Blood. The thick red stuff that keeps you alive.

The stuff that people are apparently scared of.


Even though I scoffed at people like that, I felt a jerk of panic go through my body and I kneeled over a flower. My brain was trying to find answers, but it had more questions with every moment I was here, drowning in the flat line noise, staring at the blood on my sweater, possibly alone.


Alone. 


Holy crap, I was on the moon.

I was a participant of Operation Dandelions… and I was the only dandelion to poke its head from the (possibly radioactive) snow.


Anyways, that’s the end of this radio transmission. Y’all, humans, if you can hear me, mind sending some help? I’m kind of stuck here with the dead bodies of my colleagues. It’s creepy. Sorry for the entire monologue exdee (xD?).


Peace out.”


★ ☆ ★


“Hello, humanity!!

It’s been a considerable time skip, but I’m doing pretty good, actually.


I found my laptop, and killed the battery immediately because I tried to open Minecraft. That sucks, but I killed a mini robot with a fork to charge it, so Gellie, don’t worry, I’m coming.


I think I would have been concerned by that at some point, but life is a blur now. I literally grew a potato farm using the mutated flowers. They aren’t exactly potatoes and taste really, really bad, but it’s a nice reminder of home. 

I have yet to figure out a way to survive long term or reach back home on Earth (if anyone is waiting for me), so I’ll just keep recording these and sending them to you guys.


Y’all haven’t replied to me yet, so would be nice if you did that soon.

I’m not kidding, my water supply is getting dangerously low.

Seriously. Come quick.


Peace out.”


★ ☆ ★


“We will now read out the questions for your exam. Listen carefully.


  1. Who does the speaker ask to call at the beginning of the recording?
  2. What made the botanical greenhouse so special?
  3. Why do you think the speaker thought that the blue was an unfriendly color?
  4. What kind of games did the speaker enjoy?
  5. What was the name of the speaker’s Minecraft cat?
  6. What is the now known name of the plants that the speaker grew? If you don’t know, just say what they were similar to.
  7. What operation was the speaker a part of? How did this contribute to the AI revolution?

 This concludes your Moon History exam instructions.”


★ ☆ ★


“This audio was provided by the International Space Council.

You may start your test now. Any forms of recording, like nanorecorders or Gellies will be confiscated when found.

You are allowed one re-listen. Best of luck, you slimy little slugs.”


0:00​ ─〇───── 13:00

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻


★ ☆ ★


Author’s note : awwh I’m sorry for not posting in so long! But have a compensation story. I really like this week’s prompts, so more are probably its way. Inspo from my language listening exam!!

So if you didn’t get it yet, this was the story of a moon colony founder in the future. They woke up from hibernation in the supposed Operation Dandelions, and that everyone else on the moon is ded. But it’s ok, it’ll grow into a nice colony once help arrives (circa 3086, credit: Kikipedia)

I tried something new for this story... how was it?

By the way, I wrote this but I now give to my cousin as a gift. You’re welcome Manya. Go ahead and turn it into a novel. :D

(ALL RIGHTS RESERVED >:(((( APART FROM MANYA :D )

March 23, 2021 15:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

That Asian Creep
20:57 Mar 23, 2021

Wow... this is a really captivating story! congrats xx

Reply

<inactive> .
05:04 Mar 24, 2021

Oh, thank you! Any other critiques?

Reply

That Asian Creep
19:57 Mar 24, 2021

Just one thing, a minor punctuation error at the beginning: “HELLO!!!! IF ANYONE’S LISTENING TO THIS, PLEASE CALL MY INSURANCE. I’VE JUST HAD THE WORST TIME OF MY LIFE IN THIS FREAKING GREENHOUSE IN SPACE!!! <insert “>

Reply

<inactive> .
07:19 Mar 25, 2021

Ohh, thank you!! I’ll fix that!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
17:13 Mar 23, 2021

Woah cool! This was super entertaining and funny! I love your writing, Priya!!!!

Reply

<inactive> .
19:04 Mar 23, 2021

Awwh thank you so much!!! I’m reading your story right now!!

Reply

Claudia Morgan
19:16 Mar 23, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
06:32 Apr 16, 2021

Ok maybe I’m dumb and not supposed to put this buttttt...do you have your new account details yet?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Palak Shah
11:58 Mar 28, 2021

Great story. I love the way it was written Could you please read my latest story. I would love to be friends with you. Have a good day :)) ~Palak Shah

Reply

<inactive> .
12:21 Mar 28, 2021

While like sprees are nice, actual feedback is better :) I’ll try to...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
10:02 Mar 28, 2021

:(( I upvote

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:40 Mar 24, 2021

wOw "Operation Dandelion" sounds so aesthetic :) ILOVEIT The recording idea was such a good oneeeeee :D I'm gonna read more of your stories, they'resogood and then the REAL thing that puzzled me is how you put this: 0:00​ ─〇───── 13:00 ⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻ XD ~ Amethyst

Reply

<inactive> .
07:22 Mar 25, 2021

Aww, thank you!! I actually tried something new with this one, so you might be disappointed xD Oh, um, I just copy pasted it haha, I found it online and I use it in my youtube videos’ description sometimes!! Feel free to use it too!!

Reply

17:05 Mar 25, 2021

Nawwwww I loved it :) Lol yeah I know, just it looks so fAncY XDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hehehheeee this was funny :))))) ALSO The where the Holy grail am I part- BahahaahAHAHAAAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reply

<inactive> .
19:04 Mar 23, 2021

BAHAHAHAH THANK YOU SIS!!!

Reply

NO PROBBBBB :))))))))))))))))))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
09:57 May 06, 2022

Hey. I haven't talked to you ever and I'm a day late too but I just wanted to say, it was a really interesting story! I loved it. :) Hope you're well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:38 Oct 18, 2021

Hi! (This is Em)

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:01 Aug 16, 2021

You're back! Oof, that sounds painful.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Check my bio, I'm leaving but not sure how to say it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
<inactive> .
18:03 Jul 15, 2021

Hi again, it’s been a while 💝

Reply

<inactive> .
06:24 Jul 16, 2021

I’ve been better <33 how are you doing?

Reply

alright <3 Wanna think of a plot for Demonslayer

Reply

<inactive> .
05:14 Jul 17, 2021

I’m not that into demon slayer anymore… do you want to work on anything else? :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:48 Apr 17, 2021

hi! what's your new account? :>

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:41 Apr 15, 2021

Why a new account?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 0 replies
17:20 Apr 10, 2021

OH MY GOSH UR A GATCHTUBER COOL I LOVE DOS CAN I HAVE THE LINK TO UR CHANNEL SHOW ME SHOW ME SHOW MEEEEEEEE XDD

Reply

<inactive> .
05:15 Apr 11, 2021

Haha I’m in school xD Will send link once I get home!

Reply

12:50 Apr 11, 2021

Noicee

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:52 Mar 31, 2021

hi ;) The first link in your bio doesn't work OOP SORRY nvm it does XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:36 Mar 25, 2021

If you leave, leave up your stories. Many people think they're great. Keep the up. If you're gone, don't remove your comments. Others might hear your voice in them, and it's not like you'll get downvoted if you aren't there anymore. Keep your stories up. We need more joy and you can spread it. Post this to everyone!!!!

Reply

<inactive> .
05:53 Mar 26, 2021

Thank you!! I’ll put this in my bio!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.