19 comments

Creative Nonfiction Happy Contemporary

"Mom, I have a question," Ali asked her mother.

"Sure, honey, what is it?"

"How did you and dad really meet?"

She noticed her mom blushing hard, and turned her back towards Ali, as she continued to fold the clothes.Β 

Suddenly, her dad came in after work.

"What's up fam?" he asked joyously, as he opened his arms wide for Ali to hug him.

"Haha, nothing's up, Jim." her mom laughed sarcastically as she continued to fold the clothes and iron them.

"Really? What happened? Why's everyone sad? Cause I thought you all like going to Italian restaurants!" he surprised the two.

"Oh my gosh! Really dad? I love Italian pizza, it tastes finger-lickin' delicious!" Ali laughed, as continued hugging her dad even tighter.

"Ah, it's been so long since we went there! Thanks, Jim. So, what time are we going, because Ali has violin class from 3:00 to 4:00, and then has to go to soccer practice from 5:00 to 6:00." her mother asked her dad.

"I guess we'll start at 8:00. After eating out, Ali and I are gonna play games on the Nintendo for a couple of hours, are you ready for that Ali?"Β 

Ali was exclaiming with happiness.

"OMG! YES, I AM SO READY! IN FACT, I WAS BORN READY!" she was squealing with joy as she continued to jump around the house.

"Oh, my! Don't scream so loud, Ali! The neighbors will hear!" her mother chuckled. "Also, make sure you two don't stay up any later than midnight. Ali has school tomorrow."

"Yes, mom." Ali shrugged.

"Yeah, but before all of that, Ali, are you done with math homework?" her dad asked her.

"Yeah, I just want you to check," she replied.

"How about your essay?"

"Done and revised!"

"Good looks like we're gonna have lots of fun!"

The two laughed.

✀✀✀

"Hey, mom?"Β 

"What, honey? I'm making lunch. Your favorite, cheese quesadilla and some leftover pasta from yesterday's dinner."

"Thanks. But, I just want to know, how did you and dad meet?"

"Oh, boy, what do you want to do with that information?" her mother asked jokingly.

"Come on, mom! Please???"Β 

She heaved a sigh and finally admitted, "Yes,".

"Great! Now, I'll get some popcorn, and we can start the story!"

"Umm, not so fast, Ali! I'm gonna be done with lunch in five minutes, so no popcorn! If you eat now, you won't be able to eat lunch!"

"Fine," she groaned.

Ali pulled a chair from the dining table and she sat.

"It all started one day, after classes in med school when I was working at an ice-cream parlor near the campus."

"Cool! Which ice-cream parlor were you working for?"

"Hmm, I think it was Ben and Jerry's, I forgot, but we're getting distracted."

"Sorry! I was just a little curious, that's all!"

"It's ok, Ali. But, anyway, I had just started my first year, and your father was completing his fourth year. I didn't know your father that time, but coincidentally, we were working at the same place! Well, you know, he was very kind and helpful. Not just did he keep me company in my work shift, but he also helped me with the tests and studies. Soon, we kind of became really good friends, and I told my parents, well, your grandparents about your dad. They seemed to have very good opinions of him, and I did too."

Just as she was about to finish the story, there stood Ali's dad, eavesdropping.

"Hey, dad! We saw you!" she was crossing her arms.

"Oops! Sorry, Ali! I just wanted to hear what she was saying. But, if you two don't mind, can I finish the story?" he asked Ali and her mom, and they both laughed in agreement.

"Well, after we were engaged and all of that, I brought her to the same Italian restaurant as we are going today. Just to get to know each other a little better. Soon, we liked each other a lot and noticed that we had a lot in common, much more than we even thought. So, boom! That was it, we married, and one year later, she was pregnant, then we got another addition to the family, and that's all! Did you like the story, Ali?" her father asked her.

"Well, yes! I think that's so cool, how you two met!"

"Hey Jim, let's see how well our daughter was listening to the story."

"Ok, sure!"

"So, honey, what was your favorite part of the story?" her mother asked.

It took Ali no time to answer.

"Well, that you two were working in an ice-cream parlor. Not only that but Ben and Jerry's?? You guys should have told me that much sooner! Now I know why I love ice-cream so much! It's basically genetics!"Β 

"Oh wow, that was your favorite part?"

"Why of course!"

The family laughed in chorus.

✀✀✀

As the family was about to go to the Italian Restaurant, Ali noticed something on their coffee table.

"Mom? Dad? What is that photo?"

"What, honey?"

Ali picked up the photo frame and showed it to them.

"Who are those two people?" she asked them.

Soon, she noticed her parents blushing again, so Ali knew something was a little fishy?Β 

"Really, what's wrong?" she asked them again, this time, hoping for a clear answer.

"Well," her mother started and then looked at Ali's dad. "Do you wanna say it, or should I?"

"I...I think I'll say it, I'm not as shy as you!"Β 

"Hey, I'm not shy, I'll tell her." she changed her glance towards Ali. "Do you remember the story I told you this afternoon?"

"Yes,"

"Well, this photo is our wedding photo." now her mother's cheeks were flushed with a bright red color.

"Oh my gosh! Really? You two look so...young! You look so different! I can't believe that's you two!" she exclaimed.

"You know, yeah, we kinda do." her mom chuckled.

"Yes, we do, honey."

The three huddled together for a family hug.

~The End~


February 13, 2021 18:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Nancy Drayce
19:08 Feb 13, 2021

Aw such a lovely story! And don't be to hard on your self, it is still a very nice story! Great job, Laila! πŸ’™πŸŒŸ

Reply

Show 1 reply

So...I am not really a big fan of this story because the dinner part happens mostly at the middle/end of the story, not really the beginning. :/ Also, I'm not really a big fan of these prompts, but I decided to try something new...so please comment below if you at least didn't HATE the story. My Rating of the story out of 10: 0.5 What's your rating? (Please let it not be 0!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Naduni De Silva
02:05 Feb 14, 2021

*me hugging all 3* simply beautiful ❀️

Reply

Aww, now I wanna hug you too! Come here!! There. I hugged you! <3333 P.S. Happy Valentine's Day! Have a Magical day filled with happiness and love. <3

Reply

Naduni De Silva
02:42 Feb 15, 2021

awwww *hugs back tightly*.... omg though its late now wish u the same!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
00:15 Feb 14, 2021

Hey Laila Whaaaat? I’d say like 8!!! Especially the beginning was great! Also, do you wanna do my quiz? https://forms.gle/CcRYVsWpuhBW2uu76

Reply

Thank you so much! Haha, I already did. It was AMAZING!! P.S. Happy Valentine's Day! Have a Magical day filled with happiness and love. <3

Reply

Coco Longstaff
21:45 Feb 14, 2021

Hey thanks! Aww you too, I hope you have a good day considering the state the world is in. Happy Valentines Day!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
19:49 Feb 13, 2021

This was sweet. I was confused at the start... you ask mom when her and mom met. Tiny mistake but it made me think it was going to be a double mom adoptive situation lol

Reply

Thank you!! :) Oh god...sorry!!! Fixed that! Thank you so much for catching that!

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
08:32 Feb 14, 2021

No worries! I'd love to know your thoughts on my "wildflowers" story if you don't mind πŸ™‚

Reply

Oh thank you! Of course! :) P.S. Happy Valentine's Day! Have a Magical day filled with happiness and love. <3

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
18:55 Feb 14, 2021

Thank you! You too! Trying to write something for this weeks prompt but romance isn't my thing at all. Keep wanting to add a sadistic twist πŸ˜‚

Reply

Exactly! I am also having a hard time with all of these prompts..lol! I was just reading yours and is about to comment now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
10:37 Mar 26, 2021

This was a lighthearted, fun read. Enjoyed it, but then, I prefer heavier, cerebral and, well, preferably, esoteric stuff.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rexiho Fleur
01:00 Mar 22, 2021

Hi! That was a great story, I loved it! Although, even if there wasn’t supposed to be one, was there a problem, you know, top of the story mountain I didn’t see? But, I would give like a, 6? 0.5 is way too less!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.