Contest #84 winner 🏆

103 comments

Fiction

The light that fills the room feels cold and blue, tinted by the shades across the window. This window faces south, so the light trickles in slowly and at first I can ignore it, but eventually I must open my eyes to this underwater light and take a deep breath in. 

I used to get up so early. Some days I would go outside and watch the sunrise, warming my hands with a mug of herbal tea. The world was quiet, but not still. I admired the people moving about the streets, getting an early start. We had something in common, they and I. We all knew the feeling of the first light of day rising over the mountains and hitting our faces. We carried that feeling with us throughout the day, like a token. But I haven’t seen them, those people of the sun, for months now. I peel back the sheets and stare at the ceiling fan, motionless and stagnant. The air is heavy and empty all at once. Perhaps, I think, it is the emptiness that has weight. I pull the sheets back up to my chin, shivering as they glide over my body. I cannot decide if I am warm or cold, in limbo. I consider shutting my eyes again, but I know that the morning light will find me and penetrate my eyelids the way it penetrates the shades, taking on a different tone as it shines through my skin. Red, urgent. And so I keep my eyes open, swimming in the blue. 

When I was a child I believed that in winter, as water froze, the fishes froze with it. I looked at the icy lakes and streams with curiosity, wondering how the fish survived. I mentioned this once to my mother, who smiled and told me that it is only the surface that freezes and not the fish. The ice forms a windowpane against the world, she told me. I could never decide which seemed worse, to be frozen or isolated. Now I feel that I am both, and it has been a long winter. I am unable to move. 

Continuing to stare, I try to appreciate the stillness, the silence, and the light. I know that I must get up and start the day. I will walk to the kitchen, I tell myself, and brew the coffee I switched out for my herbal teas. I will stand in my kitchen and … what then? Once the coffee is poured, what have I to do? I could change the sheets, or prepare dinner, or open the mail, but I don’t have the energy to do them all. These voyages, these escapades. I used to do those things and more in a single day, I suppose, though that seems so long ago. That was then, and this is now, and before I can get to those chores I must first get out of bed. 

I kick away the sheets, back where I began. Slowly I stretch out my legs and arms, as far as they can go, and then pull them back to my body. I am on my back. I try to lift myself up, starting with my shoulders, my vertebrae leaving my mattress one by one. I make it halfway up before sinking back down. Sinking into the bed as it cocoons me. Again I try, this time using my arms to support me. Slowly I bend at the waist, knees rising to meet my chest, reaching towards the ceiling. My muscles climb each other until only my feet and rear touch the mattress. I’ve nearly done it! I’m crouched! I’m sitting!

It’s uncomfortable. I lie back down. 

Is that enough? I wonder. Can I go back to sleep now? It takes so much, making the pieces of me come together. It wasn’t like that before the pandemic, before it left me treading water. I have changed, metamorphosed, but hasn’t everyone? Surely I cannot be the only one awake in bed, struggling to change my lifestyle, to even change my position. I unfocus, away from my body and back into the comfort of my mind. Fish swim through my thoughts, my movements. It’s strange, I think, that you never see the fish moving underneath the ice. Maybe they are frozen, just in a different way.

I lie there a bit longer, waiting for nothing. Time drifts aimlessly, perfectly willing to leave me behind. It should be peaceful, but I feel chained down rather than supported. Try again, I whisper, for real this time. I lift my head from my pillow and slide my elbows underneath my rising body. My arms become two perfect triangles, the strongest shape, holding me up. My legs, two more triangles, lifting and bent. I rise upwards. Knees, shoulders, equal. Hands, feet, level. Hips, bed. Feet, floor.  

I’m standing. A jumbled mess of body parts, but standing. 

I know that if I try to make the bed I’ll inevitably fall back into it, so I do not. Instead I make my way to the bathroom, noticing the cold touch of the tile against the pads of my feet. I ignore my appearance in the bathroom mirror, directing my attention elsewhere. I crane my neck under the faucet, spilling myself into the sink. I turn the handle, and the cold water hits me in the face. From somewhere in the garage my water heater rumbles to life. I keep my face under the water until it warms. Until it warms me. 

I bring my face up from the sink, shut off the water, and pat myself with a towel. Some of my hair has gotten wet, and it cups my face with its dark little curls, clinging to my tragus and forehead. Water trickles down my temple and outlines my jaw. The beads of liquid move slowly at first, growing in size until they form perfect drops that fall from my face. I trace my fingertip down from my hairline, following the curved path left by water. Flowing, serene.  

Turning towards the doorway, I focus on my feet. One after the other I make my way to the kitchen, my fingertips tingling slightly as I trail them across the walls. Once in the kitchen, I prepare the coffee slowly, methodically, and savor the sound of it pouring into my favorite mug. As I take a deep breath in, the steam curls upwards into my nostrils, comforting.

I’ll do something different today, I decide, taking my first sip. It’s warm, filling my mouth and sliding easily down my throat. I walk, the movement fluid, the fish swimming freely. A sense of togetherness. I walk through the backdoor and outside, into the sun, swimming upstream. 

March 11, 2021 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

103 comments

Ann Metlay
16:37 Mar 19, 2021

Good job. I can relate!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Palak Shah
16:26 Mar 19, 2021

The metaphor of the fish was fab and I enjoyed reading it. Congrats on the win !!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Diya A.
16:03 Mar 19, 2021

This is what it means to subvert the reader's expectations. The ongoing metaphor and the poetic descriptions were so beautiful to read; you took a well-wrought concept and added a new dimension to it. Not to mention the outstanding emotions and tone. Thank you so much for writing this. I really, really enjoyed reading it.

Reply

Evelyn Kill
17:39 Mar 19, 2021

Thank you so much, that means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:31 Mar 19, 2021

Congrats on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ellie Yu
14:18 Mar 19, 2021

This is really, really pretty. I love your vivid description and the images it creates in the reader's head. The theme of water/fish is also such a nice idea to carry through the whole story. Congrats on winning!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alicia Zavala
19:30 May 07, 2022

I can relate too! On my days off from work, I really would like to stay in bed and relax but, when the alarm goes off, I know that i have to get up and to the chores that I can't do thru out the work week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alicia Zavala
19:27 May 07, 2022

I like the choice of words the author used when he described his life, they could also be used to describe the life of the fish too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:20 May 06, 2022

The man gives how much he is cold, in a time when there in no warmth by a place he can swim and get ready to run in the waters. He has a hard time getting up out of bed. And preparing his tea as he does easily in other times of season.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eleazar Flores
09:33 Mar 02, 2022

just a piece of art, just simply beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:17 Jul 30, 2021

I'm sorry, my dog took control of my computer :( Your story was awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:13 Jul 30, 2021

Do you think you can call yourself an actual writer? Let me tell you a little secret... This is the worst fucking story I have ever read since I was born. You were obviously born on a highway CAUSE THATS WHERE MOST ACCIDENTS HAPPEN! You are a disgrace to your family and you deserve to rot in a prison for writing the most TRASH FUCKING STORY EVER. this is literally your story in a few words. Wake up go outside. Bruh. do you think longer is better? Because if you do. THEN YOU ARE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE IN THIS CENTURY! And also i have read better...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vineel Chandra
06:55 Jun 29, 2021

How easy or difficult it is to remember someone's birthday? Especially when that someone is your best friend! Read this story to know more - https://vineelwrites.blogspot.com/2021/06/happy-birthday.html

Reply

Show 0 replies
Miranda Klapheke
19:53 Jun 07, 2021

This story is relatable for me and my struggle with depression. Sometimes I want to lie in bed and sleep the day away but once I finally get myself to do something my brain doesn't want to do (like go outside and get some Vitamin D) I end up feeling so much better. It just takes a push of will power. It was a well written story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:53 Jun 01, 2021

Must-read fiction for future historians struggling to understand what it was to live through a pandemic. Amazing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aaron Ambrose
16:24 May 16, 2021

Your really good at this, where can I read more of stuff

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rashmeet Kaur
07:19 May 12, 2021

Omg this is such a great story wow i just wish someone would like and comment on my stories too ;p keep slaying

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniel Gillis
21:09 May 09, 2021

loved envisioning all this. Also really relate with the feeling of being a fish through out this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Patrik Monssen
06:39 May 05, 2021

is!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rheo Graham
00:30 May 05, 2021

Nice job capturing the struggle!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Evelin Smith
16:29 Apr 29, 2021

You have a gift with words, so keep writing. You'll make it big.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.