1 comment

Science Fiction Thriller

Charlotte noticed the drone squirrel from the corner of her eye. Its tawny coat flashed in the sunlight as it skittered across the awning. Slowing her pace, she watched as its right ocular lens telescoped out; she could almost hear the camera click as it photographed her.


Placing her index finger on her left temple she turned on the digital relay in her contact lens, simultaneously giving Command access to her visual cortex and allowing nonverbal cognitive communication. Command, this is agent Sparrow, are you seeing the security drone? Over.


Command: Roger that, Sparrow. Not sure why there is a security presence at this hibernation facility. We will continue to monitor. Proceed to your rendezvous. Command out.


Entering through the circular, glass-walled turnstile she felt the change in pressure as the door spun. The whoosh from the release of air as she entered the atrium vibrated across her body pleasantly. The faint scent of lilac and soft background music brought with it a feeling of relaxation.


Her eyes adjusted as she entered the massive atrium. In the distance the front desk was set against a stone wall. Mirror image staircases extended up and around on either side, meeting at an open-air mezzanine. Partially visible through a wrought iron railing was a crystal chandelier.


“Welcome to the Hibernation Institute of Philadelphia, where we promise “Hibernation for Life”! My name is Diane, how may I help?” asked the woman standing behind the front desk. She was a chubby, light-skinned black woman, late twenties, with a quick smile and chipper, helpful eyes.


“I’m here to see my father, Devon Forrester. Your company contacted me, saying there was some urgent matter.” An old school analog clock hung behind the woman on the stone wall. Charlotte could just make out the port for the hidden camera which lay flush on the top of the number “1”. Command, can you identify that security camera?


Command: Roger that, Sparrow. It is an XR-551 standard issue SinoRussian Alliance camera. If the SRA has installed cameras, then there will be agents somewhere nearby. Command out.


The keyboard clicked as the attendant input information into her computer. After hitting enter she looked at Charlotte, smiled quickly as the computer whirred, then looked down at a beep. “Hmm, that’s weird. I’m sorry, just give me a minute. The database can sometimes act up at this time of day.” Typing more energetically she hit enter and gave Charlotte a quick smile and a wink. 


Frowning, obviously not seeing what she wanted, she picked up her phone and spoke quietly. Listening for a couple minutes she nodded her head and said, “I understand.”


“I’m sorry, but there is some technical difficulty. Would you mind waiting in a seat over there? It will only be a few minutes. Thank you!”


Charlotte's eyebrows raised as she considered what to do. Not expecting a delay she was caught between two minds. Stay put and demand to speak to a manager or meekly walk away?


Command: Stay calm, Sparrow. This is a standard ploy. Just do as she says and let this unfold. Command out.


She found a seat in a comfortably upholstered chair near the front windows. Unconsciously, she checked her phone, placed it back in her pocket and looked around, searching for clues to what was happening. Her mind drifted back fourteen years to when her father had been admitted. There was no cure for metastatic pancreatic cancer, so he chose hibernation, “forced sleep” they had called it. “Let’s give science a chance to catch up to your disease.” A brief pang of shame washed over her as she realized she hadn’t visited in nearly ten years. Then her mind drifted back a few more years to that cold fall afternoon when she found her mother. As she dwelled on that terrible day her visual field narrowed like a dark tunnel.


Movement to her left brought Charlotte back to reality. A middle aged, brown skinned man approached. Thinning hair covered a careworn face partially hidden behind thick framed glasses. Reaching out his hand he said, “Hello, I’m Dr. Khan, I’m your father’s hibernologist.” His handshake was firm and confident, but damp.  She watched him place his hand in his blazer pocket.


Command: Sparrow, we believe there was Thermaglue fluid on his hand. He will be checking your DNA right now. Stay calm. Command out.


“Hi, I’m Charlotte Forrester, which I’m sure you know,” (Dr. Khan frowned when she said this) “what’s going on? You guys emailed saying it was urgent.”


“Please follow me to my office, there are a few things we need to discuss.” Leading her through a series of turns, he took an elevator to the third floor, then into a well-lit hallway.


Command: We have the path back to the front door mapped. No information yet about Dr. Khan in our SRA database, but we’ll keep checking. Command out.


The hallway had an antiseptic smell and banal decoration. White tiled floor, beige walls, and a few framed black and white photos. Passing double doors with “Secure Unit” painted on the transom, they approached Dr. Khan’s office which was midway down on the left.


Unlike the hallway, his office had a warm, welcoming feel. Wood paneled walls, thick blue carpet, and mahogany leather chairs. The desk was pushed against the window, leaving space in the center of the room for several chairs. Sitting at the desk, Dr. Khan pointed to a chair and tapped on his computer. The screen was rotated just enough to prevent Charlotte from seeing anything.


“Okay, there are a few preliminary questions to review. It’s been a while since you were here, so we need to confirm your identity. But first, you said something interesting in the lobby. When you told me your name you also said, “which you already know”. How would I already know?”


Command: Careful, Sparrow, he’s probing. We’ll monitor your interview and assist if needed. Trust your training. Command out.


Inhaling deeply, she decided to go right at him. “Listen, I saw the drone squirrel on the awning as I entered, and I saw the camera behind the clock. I know you’re watching along with your friends in the SRA. And I’m guessing you tested my DNA after we shook hands, right? So, why don’t you drop the façade and take me to my father.”


Smiling gently, Dr. Khan said, “Please, humor me. I really can’t do anything until you’ve answered my questions. Now, you say you saw a drone squirrel on the awning. You must have very acute eyesight.”


A flash-memory raced through her mind as she smiled. The serum given to Agency trainees heightens all senses in addition to improving cognition and reflexes. She could almost feel the sting of the needle in her buttock, and the burn of the medicine as it was injected. “Yes, I have acute senses. I am not at liberty to discuss much of my training, but I am a deep cover agent for the Central Intelligence Agency. (Command: Careful, Sparrow) I haven’t visited my father because I have been off world dealing with, well, things that are classified.”


“Ah, yes, you’ve been off world, which would explain your absence. But you can see our dilemma, I hope. As a deep cover agent, we cannot get information about you from the C.I.A.” Looking down, he rifled through a stack of papers and pulled out several invoices. “I notice that you’re far behind on your bills. This looks like your electricity has been turned off, and this is an eviction notice. May I ask what happened?”


“When I am deep under cover, I rely on the C.I.A. to pay my bills. They’re not perfect. Occasionally they have bureaucratic foul ups, like this one. Fortunately, I have plenty of back pay, so I will have those up to date in no time.”


“Makes perfect sense, thank you. One more question, and your father chose this as his top security question. Tell me about your mother.”


Charlotte froze, then folded her arms across her chest. Brows furrowed, eyes focused on nothing, she quietly said, “My mother died many years ago.”


Command: Alert! Warning! Something is blocking our…


“Yes, tell me how she died.”


“Mom was sick for years; I hardly remember a time when she was well. But she went into a dark place before…, well, before the accident.” Looking down, then sideways her breathing quickened.


“Your mother committed suicide, is that correct?”


Another flash-memory. Returning from school, dark house, rope, legs dangling, eyes open. “Yes,” she whispered softly, “that’s right. I found her. I'm surprised my father would ask about the incident.”


Silence in the room for a time, then Dr. Khan said, “I am so sorry you had to go through that; it must have been terrible. Right. We are finished with the questions. I knew this would be tough so, let me offer you some tea.” Tucked beside his desk, out of sight, was a small, wheeled cart. He rolled it between them, quickly munched a cracker, then prepared two cups of tea. “Not sure if you like chamomile, but there’s sugar, milk and honey, if you’d like to sweeten it.”


Charlottes faced burned, mind reeled, heart raced. She was so overcome with emotion she forgot her training, did not try to reconnect with Command and drank the tea. Sitting there quietly her mind went blank.


Suddenly, the door opened, and two burly men entered. The taller man was black and bald, the shorter man was squat, white, with thick red hair and a heavy beard. They wore dark blue scrubs, but Charlotte could tell they were soldiers. Fortunately, she had extensive training in combat. In her mind the fight unfolded rapidly. Break the hold of the bigger man as he grabbed her, then side kick the inner knee, disabling him. Next, lunge at the other man feigning low, then chopping him in the throat. It would only take seconds; it would only take... As she stood to face them the world blurred and slowed. Looking at the teacup, then at Dr. Khan she tried speaking, but all that came out was, “Whaaa…” before she passed into unconsciousness.



**************************************************************************



Charlotte woke in a dark, antiseptic room. As her eyes adjusted, she noticed a barred window, moonlight filling the space with an eerie calm. Her cell was disguised as a hospital room. Tapping her left temple, she found Command back online.


Command: Good evening, Sparrow. We believe you are still at the hibernation facility. If you can get into the hallway, we should be able to direct you to the front door. Command out.


Pulling back the covers she felt a chill through the thin hospital gown. Her clothes were nowhere in sight. Tiptoeing to the door she was surprised to find it unlocked. The hallway was dark, with double doors to her left and a dimly lit nurse’s station to her right. She nearly made it to the exit, pressing the door release, when someone yelled, “Stop!” behind her. As the doors swung open, she quickly glanced back. The nurse had found a security guard, who was running. She leaped into the hallway.


Command: Look up, Sparrow.


 “Secure Unit” was painted above the door. To her right she could see Dr. Khan’s office, light shining through the opaque glass panel. Sprinting, entering the door quickly, closing the door, she locked it. As she rested her forehead on the door and shut her eyes she heard the footsteps of the security guard pass quickly. Still panting like a racehorse, she turned to see Dr. Khan seated, speaking with another man, his back to her. The chair rotated slowly; her heart nearly stopped; father was staring back at her. His hair was long and straggly, his body emaciated, but behind the cold, blue eyes burned a fire.


 “Charlotte, please, come sit next to us, sweetie,” said her father extending a hand to guide her.


Dumbfounded, feeling twelve years old again, she plopped into the other chair.


“You’ve had a heck of a day, darling. Please, let Dr. Khan and I try to explain.” Turning, he gave Dr. Khan a nod.


“Charlotte, what would you say if I told you that off world travel was not possible? Or that drone squirrels have not been invented?”


Command: Careful, Sparrow, the SinoRussian Alliance has agents everywhere! “I would say that without a C.I.A. top secret clearance there is no way for you to comprehend what is possible.”


"Tell me, just now, before you answered, it looked like you were listening to something. Do you ever hear voices in your head?"


"I don't hear voices, no. I have a digital contact lens that creates a cognitive link with Command Central. They are listening and watching you right now through this (pointing to her left eye), so I suggest you take care with what you say."


Her father gave her a serious look, “You have never reminded me more of your mother than you do right now. I love you very much. Do me a favor, just lift the gown over your left shoulder so I can see your vaccination mark. Good. Now look to your right.”


As she turned her head she felt a sharp pinch in her deltoid muscle, “Ow! What was that?” Turning, she saw her father inject an amber fluid through a syringe. She was unconscious in seconds.


Gently laying her head on the back of the chair, he turned to Dr. Khan. Not bothering to wipe away the tears he said, “I hate that it has come to this.”


 “It’s the only way, Devon. She won’t take her pills, and there’s no one out there to help her. As you know we don’t have a cure for schizophrenia. She has been rapidly deteriorating; it’s only a matter of time before she slips into depression. When we woke you last week I think you knew it would come to this. Let’s give science a chance to catch up to her disease. And while we’re at it we’ve got to get you back into hibernation. Just sign the 302 papers so we can have her committed and you’ll sleep next to each other for as long as it takes.”

December 05, 2023 19:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lyle Closs
16:32 Dec 14, 2023

Terrific story. Really well told. Great stuff.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.