0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

(This story is set on earth’s twin planet GAIA2 which is about 800 years behind us and is evolving.)

Zip was a young man living in small Rubi isle. He was about 22 and was handsome with a muscular build. He was the son of a notorious bandit who had been exiled to Rubi. The bandit had stored his wealth in the island and it now belonged to Zip. Zip was by nature a quiet person and preferred to live peacefully on Rubi. Once in a few days Cuz would bring his ship with supplies for Zip which the latter would pay for in kind from what his father had left.

One morning near his house on the shore, Zip saw someone lying on the sand. He assumed it was a corpse but was surprised to see the woman still breathing. He helped her up and carried her to the house next to his which he mostly used as a store. He asked “What is your name?”

“Bigma. I was on a ship travelling to Lucia when a storm hit us. We were 6 passengers on board and it looks like I was the only survivor after the storm.”

“Why were you going to Lucia?”

“My brother lives there with his family. My husband had been a weaver and he passed away recently. So I thought I would move to live in Lucia.”

“How old are you?”

“I’ve crossed nearly 40 summers.”

“Didn’t you have children?”

“No. My husband did his best but we had no luck.”

“I’m Zip and live alone here. Now that you’re here, you could occupy this cottage in which you’re now. I live next door.”

Bigma now sat up and said “I’ve recovered. I would like to help in your daily activities. I can swim, go to sea to catch fish and can also cook.”

“I do all that and will join you. Besides we have to bring drinking water from the waterfall which occurs not far from here. I’ll show you the place.”

Zip said “Let me now go to sea with my net.”

He was back very soon with a catch which included besides fish, lobsters and crabs.

Bigma said “Allow me to cook.”

He said “Your clothes are still wet. There are some in the cottage which you could use.” He showed her and she made the choice. Like all natives she only covered herself waist down.

Zip found the woman could cook well and they shared the food. They followed the routine he had set and it continued for a few days. One day Zip hurt his left eye and was stuck at home. Bigma took over and went to sea. She came back with the catch and cooked for them both. In a few days Zip’s eye was healed and he was back to his routine.

That day Bigma returned with water from the waterfall and said “Zip, I saw a fruit tree quite near the waterfall and thought I would climb and get us some fruits. As I was about to do it I noticed the huge honeycomb on it and retreated. The bees could have stung me to death.”

He said “Yes. That is a hazard. It’s good you hadn’t climbed the tree. We’ve enough honey in stock. Don’t worry about getting fruit to eat. Cuz will bring it for us.”

Life continued as usual. Each of them would do unfinished jobs randomly and independently. One didn’t really need the other. They weren’t of the talking type and each kept aloof of the other. Then came another storm and the next day Zip saw a young woman cast on the shore. She seemed ill and he carried her to the cottage occupied by Bigma. Bigma now took over and virtually threw Zip out from her cottage.

Zip said “I must talk to her.”

“I’ll handle her and give you all details.”

Bigma came to Zip and said “That woman’s name is Minu. She had been on a ship along with her people to see the mountain which throws up fire and stones, when their vessel was wrecked.”

Zip had noticed Minu was young and attractive and felt drawn towards her but Bigma kept him off. Minu wanted to join in the routines of the two natives but Bigma prevented her. Zip made many attempts to talk to Minu but Bigma rebuffed him. Bigma noticed that Minu had been attracted to Zip but she wouldn’t allow contact. She was all the time keeping watch on Zip and Minu.

Minu helped Bigma in daily routines. In a few days Cuz sailed in with supplies for Zip. Cuz said “I had problems with the sails and they need repair. My crew will attend to it. It means we would’ve to stay here a couple of days at least.”

Zip said “You and your crew are welcome.”

Cuz was a young man with a beard and was fond of decking his beard with flowers. He asked Bigma for flowers and she with Minu took him to where they were found. Cuz now found he had been attracted to Minu. When Cuz was alone with Zip he said “Zip, that woman Minu is very attractive. You know I’m a bachelor having been a seafarer. I would like to settle down with a wife. My younger brother can take over plying my ships. Can I take Minu for wife?”

Zip spoke to Bigma about it and she was enthusiastic  about Cuz’s proposal. She spoke to Minu and got her consent. Cuz was very happy. It took 4 days for the sails to be rectified during which time he moved closely with Minu.

Meantime Bigma asked Cuz “Can you take me to Lucia?”

“I don’t usually go there, but I can arrange a brother shipper to take you to Lucia. I’ll send the ship here for you in a fortnight. Would that be OK?’

“That would be fine.” She had not consulted Zip about leaving but from his dispassionate attitude she knew he wouldn’t mind.

After the departure of Cuz, Bigma found a change in Zip’s behaviour. He was less enthusiastic in carrying out routines and was becoming indifferent towards her. That day Bigma said “Zip why don’t you come with me to the waterfall? We can bathe and swim there.”

He was surprised as she would never go with him into the water. She said “Come on!”

They reached the waterfall and girding up his loins he stepped under the water whereas she had taken off the single apparel she wore and was swimming. She said “Join me in the water here.”

He did and soon they played what we on earth we would idiomatically call burial of John Thomas . Giving Zip instruction on what we would call basic subject 101, she coached him well finding he wasn’t on familiar ground.  The instruction continued!

Later talking to him she said “I knew you were sad that you had no access to Minu. I wouldn’t  allow it as I’m also a woman and you never sought me. I got you to the waterfall to see that you don’t hate me but will remember me.” He was silent.

Soon when the ship came to collect Bigma at the bidding of Cuz, Zip was surprised but said nothing. Waving her goodbye Zip said to himself “You’ve to adjust yourself to solitude again.”  He was reconciled to his lot.

END

May 16, 2021 08:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.