IMPROMPTU GHOSTS

Submitted into Contest #83 in response to: Write a fantasy story about water gods or spirits.... view prompt

3 comments

Contemporary Fantasy Fiction

Monica was 32, tall, fairly good-looking with her shoulder length hair combed neatly and flowing down her shoulders. She had studied to be a vet and had become a competent animal surgeon. She lived in the third floor of a flat in a high rise apartment complex with an elderly live-in woman to help.

Monica would be at the elevator exactly at 8 when a tall young man would come down from the sixth floor and pause at the third floor to pick her up. Though bald he was handsome and they became acquainted, and after a time love blossomed. When he proposed to her he said “I’m a widower. I was married for only three days, that is about 72 hours, when Sheila who had gone to gather flowers in the garden, died after being bitten by a snake.” Monica explained that she was a widow as her husband after 3 years of marriage had drowned when his car had plunged into a lake.” Monica accepted Dutt and they were married. They decided to go on a honeymoon to a resort. Dutt drove his new car when he said “Sheila’s house was quiet near the lake in the resort. It has been demolished and a multi-storeyed building has come up on the site.”

Monica said “Veer was drowned in that very lake when his car had fallen into it.”

As they neared the hotel they were to stay in, it was past 9 in the night. Seeing a petrol bunk still open he said “Let me fill the tank.”

He got down and was opening the fuel inlet when a soft voice near his ear said “Remember me, Sheila?”

He said “Of course. Are you now a ghost? Are you going to haunt me?”

She said “I’m a ghost and live in the waters of the lake. You go ahead I’ll follow you.”

 The woman attendant filled the tank and as she was replacing the hose she saw the tank inlet being screwed down automatically. She couldn’t believe her eyes.

In the car Dutt told Monica about how Sheila had contacted him as a ghost. She said “I hope she disappears.”

The woman receptionist at the hotel welcomed the two and said “We’ve booked the honeymoon suite for you.” The page carried their luggage. As they were going along, the page noticed that the man wasn’t carrying his bag. It was coming along itself! Inside the room, the bag settled itself on a side table.

The page went back and told the receptionist “Those two are magicians. How could a bag land itself on the side table?”

“You’re imagining things. Forget about those guests.”

The moment the room door was closed a female voice said “Dutt, I’m speaking from beyond the grave!”

“Of course, Sheila. So you carried my hand bag.”

“Yes. I’m a spirit now with enough ectoplasm. I live in the waters of the lake. I saw you and chose to help.”

Monica said “Get off whoever you’re. Don’t disturb us.”

Sheila said “Remember you’ve chosen to come here and upset our peace. Dutt explain to her as she appears dense.”

Monica shouted “You’re insulting me. I don’t believe you. Tell me what I’m doing now.”

You’re powdering your face.”

 Monica was stunned as that was what she was exactly doing at the moment. Monica said “Why did you‘ve to gather flowers when one can get all we need from flower[i] sellers everywhere?”

“That’s none of your business. I wanted to show myself to Dutt with a variety of flowers not usually marketed so that he could see how lovely I was.”

Monica asked “Why have you come here to haunt us? We’re innocent.”

“Dutt you shouldn’t have married again. Dutt, Monica is causing you to move away from me.”

Monica said “Leave me alone.”

“I know you want to be alone so that you could.....I know what you and Dutt will do when alone. I can only guess about him as I was able to just get a kiss from him after the wedding.”

Now a male voice came: “Monica, don’t allow that bald fellow to touch you.”

Monica said “It’s so embarrassing! That was Veer my late husband’s  ghost  speaking. I wish we hadn’t come to this resort for our honeymoon.”

Veer’s voice came again “Monica, you remember how many times I’ve tumbled you. Don’t allow this bald fellow to........ I won’t complete what I’ve to say.”

Dutt said “Who does that fellow think he is? Monica I’ve married you and will do what all are necessary to make you happy.”

Veer’s voice now came “Monica I can assure you the bald fellow is no match to me. You know how happy you were with me.”

The door bell sounded and Dutt opened the door. A hotel staff was at the door wheeling in a food cart. He said “These are refreshments for the night.”

Unseen hands picked up a tray and laid it on Dutt’s lap. A plate with cakes and a glass of juice followed. The bearer almost had a cardiac arrest.

Sheila’s voice now came saying “I’ve to serve you both equally.”

Unseen hands now brought a similar set of dishes and put them on Monica’s lap.

Dutt said “We’ve picked whatever we wanted. You can wheel the trolley away.”

The man wheeled the trolley out. He ran to the receptionist and said “Those are magicians in the honeymoon suite.”

The receptionist who was an experienced woman said “That’s how it would be during the honeymoon. Reality will follow.”

After they had eaten the cakes Dutt reached out for Monica and she said “Not with those eyes watching.”

Sheila asked “Dutt what’re you planning to do?”

 Dutt said “I want quick results. I want Monica to quickly produce a baby. I propose to carry out all activity in that direction.”

Sheila said “Not when I’m watching. It would be shameful.”

“Can’t be helped. It would be your choice to flee from here.”

Veer said “The bald fellow has no shame.”

Meanwhile the man who had brought refreshments to the honeymoon suite told the manager who was sitting with the experienced receptionist “There’re 2 nuts there who are talking to themselves and things are moving as if there were unseen hands.”

The receptionist said with a laugh “Sir, this fellow is a bachelor. He hasn’t any idea of what all can happen in a honeymoon suite. I can vouch for all hands moving and doing what all is necessary. Ignore his comments.”

The manager said “I’ve heard the two versions. I would’ve to check out the truth.”

The receptionist said “Sir, don’t disturb a couple in a honeymoon suite. Let them be.”

The manager was a curious person and wouldn’t be satisfied till he saw what was reported.

Meanwhile in the honeymoon suite Dutt was shouting “I want to ask the manager how ghosts can be removed at least in the honeymoon suite. The couple should be left to do whatever they want to do without disturbance.”

Just as he finished, the manager entered after a knock and he had heard the last line of what was spoken. Then came another male voice saying “Remember she was my wife too. She is dead but not gone.”

The manager said “I don’t want to interfere with whatever is happening. I’m the manager and wanted to see if you’re satisfied with the facilities and service. Sorry for having interfered,”

The manager went back to reception and told the receptionist “There were two males and one female inside.”

“No harm done. Voices could change depending on mood. Let us leave the newly married in peace.”

In the honeymoon suite Monica said “Veer, get lost.”

Veer said “If this bald fellow knew what we did immediately after the wedding ceremony, I’m sure he would’ve a heart attack.”

Dutt lost his temper and said “Veer if you don’t disappear I’ll ........”.

Monica said “Veer get lost or I’ll reveal what all you failed to do at start.”

“Don’t  say anything. The bald fellow will have a laugh.”

Sheila said “I can also say what all Dutt failed to do. Veer, let’s go to our haunt and leave this couple to do whatever they want.”

Veer said ”Let me carry you into our watery abode and..........”

“Don’t reveal your intentions. Let these humans not come to know what we do.”

There was silence. The door to the suite was still open and the receptionist tiptoed in. She heard the female voice saying “I’ll change in the bathroom. You close the door to the suite.”

The receptionist walked away saying to herself “Fifteen minutes after we had entered the honeymoon chamber, I had no clothes on nor did my husband. This couple is damned slow! And the woman needs privacy to change!”

END

February 28, 2021 12:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

N S
19:15 Mar 19, 2021

Great content!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jane Andrews
16:39 Mar 13, 2021

Hi Sivaram. I was asked to read your story and leave feedback as part of the Critique Circle. This was an interesting response to the prompt - although it's more of a ghost story (reminiscent of Noel Coward's play, 'Blithe Spirit') than a story about water gods or spirits. I think your ideas are good, but the dialogue is a little stilted and there's a lot of telling and not much showing. The grammar's also a little off in places. Re dialogue, try speaking the words out loud to check they sound natural. Often, people make their dialogue t...

Reply

00:19 Mar 14, 2021

Thanks. Regards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.