0 comments

Fantasy


This world is broken. Nobody can fix that let's just get this fact down. It will always stay the same, but I will try my best to help as much as I can, even if it seems like it's not a lot. Anything anyone does to try, will make a big difference.

I will use my powers for the good of the world. Most people don't think of me as human, but I'm as human as anyone else.

Walking down the road I took note of all of my surroundings. The streets were cracked and grass grew between the cracks every now and then. The windows of the buildings had all been broken in. Anyone could tell it was because the shops, and the workplaces had been raided, every item gone.

Anyone would believe that this town was completely empty and deserted, but the smell of freshly burned wood exposed that someone was here. I noticed the smoke on the far side of the town, but I guess they put it out in hopes I wouldn't know they were there.

I followed the scent, walking down ally way I finally found a spot on the ground, there was ash and wood. The embers had fizzled out. I immediately knew why, the concrete was damp from water.

Suddenly my body pulled me, I ran down the ally once again following the scent of cigars and grime. The sound of a gunshot cut the silence that had recently surrounded me I turned to my right quickly and my eyes adjusted on the bullet which stood still about 2 inches from my temple. A laughter escaped my lips and I shoved it to the side then walked up to the man. Fear filled his frozen face.

Pulling out my scythe I whispered.

"Evoko." The man, who was able to move again looked around in fear searching until his eyes finally laid onto mine.

"Wait, please I ain't done nothin' wrong." He held his gun to me and I quickly smacked it out of his hands.

"Ryan Smith, you're time has come, you've lived a life of sin. Now you must be saved." I spoke in a more serious tone, making sure he knew who had power here.

"Please don-" I slammed my scythe to his neck and as soon as it made impact he went off into a storm of ashes. His crystallized heart made a light clink as it hit the ground. I picked it up and then slid it gently into my pocket, being sure not to crack it.

My name is Rebecca Murphy, and I'm a reaper.

When I had finally reached headquarters, a young women walked up to me and opened a small briefcase the velvet lining and small placeholders greeting me. I pulled the hearts I had collected from my pocket then lightly placed them into the holders. Today I had collected 28.

I killed 28 people today. This thought sent shivers down my spine. I always had an adrenaline rush every time I killed someone, but at the end of the day the human in me always felt disgusted as I counted up how many I had racked up within one day.

"Murphy, my favorite employee!" Mr. Harper walked up to me and peeked over at the briefcase before the young worker clicked it shut.

"Good evening sir." I kept my voice steady and sweet and gave him a slight nod. "Today I wasn't able to get as many as usual, I'm sorry."

"More than anyone else in this agency." He smiled and patted me on my shoulder, then began walking. We walked together towards the conference room and Harper sat at the end of the table and I took my seat next to Elijah, who was already setting up his binder.

"What's up short-stuff?" He smiled and whispered looking at me, his blue eyes shining as if they were sea-glass getting shined on by the sun.

"Hey, Elijah." I spoke to him and immediately lost my cool when we made eye contact. Him and I had been friends ever since childhood. Our moms practically forced us to be friends since we were born. I had no objection of course.

Mr. Harper's deep voice caught everybody's attention and we immediately looked up at the first word he spoke.

"Good evening ladies and gentleman, I want to say spectacular job today with collecting the hearts!" He took a seat and smiled. "Now let's get down to business, there have been cases in London, Houston Texas, and Nashville Tennessee of gang activity. I want to send each of you onto these jobs." He pointed at Mark and Alexander then looked down at his binder. "I want you two to go to Houston and collect hearts. I've been told there should be a total of 20-25, maybe more." Mark nodded his head and spoke.

"Yes sir I am happy to take this job." He smiled, Alexander being the moody person he was just wrote it down in his binder and rolled his eyes.

"Very well, Now Rebecca and Elijah, you guys being the most skileld here will go to London. There is not only one group up there but there is about 12. The total number of men there go up to the 90's." He looked at us then spoke again. "I trust you are able to take on this job, this is one of the biggest groups we will have to deal with." Mark who sat on the other side of me spoke a few seconds after Harper.

"Sir, don't you think we should have at least 4-5 people going to London. I mean they may be strong but 90 plus may be a bit too hard." He looked down slightly. Speaking up to our boss obviously gave him slight fear.

"I am already pushing it with two, Rebecca could take them out all on her own. Elijah is just backup for her." Harper looked over to Mark. I snorted at the face Elijah made. He looked like he was in offended shock. He just nudged me with his elbow and smiled.

"Mark, and Abraham you guys will go to Tennessee. That is all for today's meeting I want you all to leave within an hour."

I stood up and shut my binder then waited for Elijah.

"Hey shorty, do you just wanna go and get this over with now?" he looked at me as we began to walk out of the office.

"I guess I'm chill with that." I smiled and we walked out of the building. I pulled out my teleportation crystal, it had a pastel purple and dark amethyst hue and we both placed our hands on it. "The far north side of London." Suddenly the world around up became a big blur and we shut our eyes. When we finally opened them again we looked up and there we were. London.

I pulled out my GPS and the little red dots indicated everywhere that there was a person nearby. It quickly caught my attention there was a dot within a few feet of us. I jumped out the way quickly and Elijah pulled out his scythe. The dot indicated there was someone right in front of us, but we saw nobody. I looked back down at it again and noticed two more were coming up onto up.

"Elijah take care of those two, I'll find this one." I looked over at where the dot was again.

"Got it." He laughed at ran towards the two men who were about a mile away. The sound of yelling made me flinch. My eyes laid onto a box in the Alley. I heard muffled noises coming from it and raised my scythe, as I slowly opened it I froze time quickly just in case they decided to try to hit me with anything. When I finally had it open I practically dropped my weapon.

A young girl, maybe around the age of 8 was laying there in the hard crate.

"Evoko." I Un-froze everything and pulled her out steadily.

"Honey, what are you doing in here?" She looked terrified and I tried to keep my voice gentle as I spoke to her. Her long black hair was messy and her baby blue eyes looked cold as ice. She was the most beautiful child I thought I'd ever seen. Her plump soft pink lips matched the rosiness on her cheeks. I pulled off my coat and wrapped her in it quickly.

"Elijah!" I picked her up and she didn't speak a word. I began to run with her in my arms while I placed the scythe back inside my back. Elijah walked up to me and I saw him slipping the hearts into his pocket.

"Who the hell is that?" He looked dumbfounded as he looked from the girl to me.

"She was the dot on the map. I have no idea, she hasn't spoken a word." I held her a bit closer because I could feel her trembling in my arms like a terrified bunny.

"What do we do with her?" His voice sounded confused and he placed his hand on his forehead.

"Well let's finish this job quickly then bring her back to HQ."

"Are you crazy?" He walked closer to me and whispered. "We don't know this girl, this could be a trap. You want to take her back to HQ? That's exposing the location."

"Oh, please I'm sure she's safe to bring. She's just a small child." Before Elijah could get his next sentence out the beeper started going off and we looked down at it. We were surrounded. I quickly ran to the crate and sat the girl on top of it. "Stay here and don't move." I wrapped my coat around her then pulled out my scythe, running to help Elijah. Before I could even stop to take a breather, people of ages and sizes came running to us with knives. I began to reap and Elijah flew up dropping small bombs. They weren't normal bombs, but when then touched someone they would burst into small shards and take out anyone it touched, turning them into ash.

I groaned as I got slammed into the side with a knife and quickly took out the guy who stabbed me. I have to keep my eyes on them and not Elijah. We continued taking people out until all that was around us was crystallized hearts. The world around me became a blur and then turned black.

"Becca!" The only thing I heard before I completely lost consciousness was Elijah yelling my name.

Static. All I hear is static and the taste in my mouth is rustic.

"Stay with us." The voice of a lady was warped as she spoke to me, all I could see was blurred lights. What the hell did I get stabbed with? We aren't supposed to take damage from normal blades and bullets. I blacked out again.

When I finally opened my eyes I shot up quickly still dizzy. Elijah's eyes widened and he hugged me.

"Agh, dammit Elijah I'm injured." He stopped then smiled.

"Thank god you're ok. I seriously thought I was going to lose you." He looked at me for a few seconds then leaned in. Oh my god. Elijah Killingsworth is kissing me. I felt my face heat up and the soft press of his lips to mine made me so happy. He stopped and looked into my eyes.

"Becca I love you, I don't know what I would do if I lost you." He grabbed my hand.

"I love you too." The world went blurry again, but this time it wasn't because I was going to pass out. I began to cry slightly. He hugged me again this time gentler.

"Wait, Elijah, where's that girl?" I looked around.

"Ah, her name's Renesmee. She's sitting in the waiting room."

"She finally talked?"

"No, we found her files. Apparently she was a relative to Kyle Moon. The one who passed away a few years back. His daughter." He frowned slightly.

"So what's gonna happen to her?" I looked back at him.

"Well, I was gonna ask you something that I've been meaning to ask you for a long time." He smiled and got down on one knee. "Becca, I don't have a ring right now, but will you marry me?"

"Oh my god, Yes!" I started weeping again. Happiness mixed with a bit of pain. We kissed again then he said.

"Hey, I know it may be a bit to early for a kid, but I was wondering it you wanted to adopt one?" He laughed and I nodded my head yes. He helped me get up and luckily I was able to walk. I was told I had been asleep for 3 days. Lost a lot of blood.

When we finally reached the waiting room Renesmee got up and hugged me.

"Thank you, for saving me...." She squeaked out. The fear in her voice was still there. I picked her up and she smiled as I carried her and walked with Elijah to Harper's office. He looked at us and smiled.

"Nice job you guys. Not only did you collect lets see," He checked his paper then laughed a bit from being proud. "106 hearts, but you also saved a young girl."

He handed up a file that read everything about her and what happened according to a notebook left by Kyle. She was 9 years old as of July 8th, and her mother died as she was in labor. Before Kyle died she was taken but someone and he went off on a mission to find her.

I frowned as I read the file, but I wanted to give her a happy life from here on out.

"Thank you Mr.Harper." We left the office and went back to Elijah's home.

A few years after that, she was now 12 years old. We had to teach her how to speak, and now shes brilliant. She was happy. Soon she will have a baby brother. I smiled and placed my hand on my stomach. Maybe the world isn't too bad.

March 12, 2020 23:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.