2 comments

Fiction

I sighed before stepping off the train. It was official. I was all the way back here though it was a good thing this would be my last time. I glanced around at the platform. It was almost empty with the occasional person scattered here and there. I shoved my hands back in my pockets and started on my way. People didn't care enough to notice me, so I didn't care enough to notice them. I kept my head down and moved with pace.

It was only slightly different than last time. The air seemed thicker and the buildings sometimes taller. Maybe that's what happens when you live in the country for so long. Whenever I glanced up at the sky, I couldn't tell what was a star or an airplane. All the lights that lined the streets were lit giving off their tired glow. Even now there was some "traffic" though it was nothing compared to morning.

I stood waiting for the walk sign watching cars zoom by. It wasn't all bad I guess. It was peaceful in the busy city way. The way the moon reflected off some of the buildings was stunning not to mention the graffiti that covered every wall. I used to graffiti. I would come out here at night and spray up the whole block. I never got caught a single time.

The walk symbol came on and I walk across the street quickly. I knew better than to just walk across the streets here. People never stopped, no matter who it was unless you're talking about Keith, but he's too kind to live in the city. I've never understood why he's stayed here.

"Watch where you're going!" a man that had run into me barked.

I mumbled my apology but kept walking. I didn't want to be recognized here. I shifted the bag on my back checking to see if it'd been opened quickly before putting that off to a second thought.

I've never understood why people here were so untrustworthy compared to the country. I always glance over my shoulder due to my time here yet when I stay in the country I can never find a true reason too. Here you could get killed if you weren't careful, but that was all part of the fun. I'd always considered walking down the street to be a game of life or death. It never bothered since I'm not afraid of dying and haven't been for some time.

I passed my old school glancing at it for only a second. Ah, the old place held so many of my memories like being beaten up, shoved, getting crammed in a locker, the fun things. I smiled softly at the thought of it. Back then when I believed none of it was ever going to matter. My smile faded as my thoughts drifted. I was never the popular kid there. More of that quiet kid everyone hated for some reason. I used to have only two good friends. Wes and Lillian though she hated being called that. She preferred Lil when we were younger. Wes, Lil, and I were inseparable at school. We'd goof off, make jokes, and be good kids. I smiled at the thought. Lil and Wes are dating now. I'm still in contact with them.

I rounded that corner I'd gone around hundreds of times but walked past my old apartment. I hated that place as a kid. I always thought it was so cramped and boring. My room had been too "small" for me even though it wasn't that bad. Sure, it was small enough that if I put my arms out I could touch the walls, but Keith was trying his hardest to keep us afloat. I just got used to it after awhile. I'd never really thought about it till I had Lil and Wes over once. That was the only time I ever did. I didn't want them to worry since Keith took care of us both. He would always talk about how much he worried I'd be taken from him, so I didn't want to add to his worry. Keith had raised me and I owe him everything for that. I just hoped this helped repay that.

I jogged up the steps and opened the glass doors. I walked up to the lady at the desk. Her white glasses sat on the tip of her nose like they'd been every time I'd seen her.

"He's in room 111B," I said simply.

She glanced up at me and did a little typing. Last time the man with the dark hair had been nicer and just let me through. Glasses lady seemed to be taking her sweet time.

"And you are?" she asked in a snarly whinny voice.

"Hunter Dusken," I responded.

Click. Clack. Click.

Her fingers danced across the keys faster this time.

"Have a nice visit, ma'am."

"Sir," I corrected moving past her before she could argue. I didn't have to correct her, but I wanted too.

I made my way through the white halls as I'd only done a few times before. I hated it every time I did. It never looked any different. It never changed. It was always the same white front desk with the same computer with the same group of people that had the different shifts. It was always the same grey curtains that barely stopped the sun. The same weird grey floor that always seemed to shine as if no one had ever stepped on it. The same schedule. The same sickening feeling I got as I walked though these halls. The same guilt. Why was I always so afraid? It's not like it could get any worse. It's not like this is his fault.

I clenched my hands in my pockets. No, I couldn't be thinking like that right now. I closed my eyes for just a moment to calm myself down.

I glanced at the door numbers. 107B. 109B. I took a deep breath, 111B. It was the same white door like every time. I steadied myself and reached out turning the doorknob. I pushed the door open.

Inside was just as I remembered. The bed was in the corner neatly made. A set of nightclothes folded at the foot of the bed. Beside that was a nightstand with a lamp. The book I'd gifted him sat unopened beside it. The floor was that weird grey. The walls were white. The curtains were grey and barely stopped the rising sun's light to break in, but that didn't matter because just like always here, they were pulled back and the window was washed to perfection.

I moved towards the window glancing out at the sun. "Good morning, Keith," I said softly to my brother who sat motionlessly in his wheelchair. His empty gaze fixed on the horizon. "I've come to take care of you. I've come to take you home."

March 13, 2021 05:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Cathryn V
00:56 Mar 22, 2021

Hi Eva, This is a sad tale and I had a bad feeling about where it was headed. The main character had been beat up etc. he was thought to be a female but wasn’t. I wondered why—if he was trans . I was right with him all the way. Good job! Thanks for writing

Reply

Eva Parker
15:17 Mar 22, 2021

Thank you! And yes, Hunter is supposed to be transgender.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.