The Unbearable Lightness of Being Blue

Submitted into Contest #270 in response to: Start or end your story with two people discussing an important matter over a meal.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Speculative Funny

I

An Epicurean Tour of The United Provinces of Spitzbergen

The year... well, the precise year escapes me, as does much that happened on that peculiar voyage.

What remains, cemented onto memory with briny permanence, is the lingering sense of desolation and the undeniable pull of the archipelago known as The United Provinces of Spitzbergen.

A land of unremitting gray, an outpost birthed from cartographical mistakes, a place where melancholia bloomed more freely than the sparse wildflowers clinging to the wind blasted cliffs.

Let me not dwell on my own affliction at the time – a malady of the mind, leaving me prey to obsessive curiosity and an unquenchable thirst for the hidden.

Let us speak, instead, of Spitzbergen and its odd inhabitants, for it was their eccentricities that captured my jaded soul.

There was Mayor Windthwaite of Bilberry Junction, stout and sorrowful, obsessed with the proper length of mournful speeches.

The Duchess of Sighing Marsh, perpetually draped in black lace, issuing decrees on the acceptable forms of poetic lamentations.

And the mournful balladeers, their instruments crafted from driftwood and their voices laced with a sorrow that seemed to seep from the very soil.

The houses were picturesque and quaint huddled together, painted in resigned shades of seafoam and slate. 

Umbrellas sprouted indoors as often as out – a constant defense against the drizzle and the pervasive gloom.

The sole note of brilliance came from the lighthouse of Port Saint Claire, a crooked, singular sentinel piercing the eternal fog.

Its beacon, it was said, could only be glimpsed through the thickest of mists, a cruel irony for any ship navigating those treacherous shores. 

And Captain Augustus Windweather, his glass eye fixed on some unseen horizon, who dared the grumbling waters on "The Sighing Walrus". That rusted vessel groaned and complained, but it made the journey to the mainland when the seas and common sense forbade it.

I, a mere observer, a self-proclaimed chronicler of the peculiar, began to feel strangely at home amidst this panorama of elegant decay.

The islanders were solitary souls, as was I, but there was a shared understanding in the half nods we exchanged, in the shared silence that was both a comfort and an affliction.

The Prestigious University of Spitzbergen wasn't merely a place of scholarship, but the embodiment of the archipelago's mournful charm. Built from gray stone quarried from windswept cliffs, it resembled more a fortress than a place of learning. 

Leaded windows stared out onto churning seas, and maze like corridors smelled of old parchment and a hint of despair.

Professors, spectral figures clad in threadbare tweeds, whispered rather than lectured.

Subjects offered included the "Taxonomy of Fog", "Proper Patina on Disappointments",  and "Elegiac Sighs: A Study in Expression". 

The University's library was a treasure trove rivaling the island's famed smoked herring in melancholic value.

Dusty tomes lined the shelves, bearing titles like "The Agony and the Ecstasy... Mostly the Agony", and "101 Ways to Embrace the Inevitable Disenchantment".

Just down the cobbled street from this bastion of intellectual gloom stood the Grand Clocktower Hotel.

Its once polished facade was now a patchwork of faded grandeur, the gilt flaking, the carpets stained with stories of former opulence.

Thus, this decay felt less like neglect and more like a badge of honor for a place accustomed to the slow march of time towards inevitable desolation.

The clocktower itself was the hotel's centerpiece, a lopsided masterpiece of mismatched clockfaces and mournful chiming. None of the clocks ever agreed, adding a sense of poetic chaos to a world already clinging to the edge of order. Inside, Monsieur Jacques, the concierge, embodied the hotel's eccentric elegance. A former opera singer with a voice cracked by tragedy, his greeting was always a mournful aria, a single tear tracing a path down his powdered cheek.

Guests were a curious breed.

Failed authors, whispering poets & filled notebooks with mournful odes to the damp.

A reclusive cartographer was rumored to be endlessly redrawing the island's coastline to include his own imagined lands of regret. 

And there was always the lingering suspicion that perhaps the faintest creak on a floorboard wasn't the settling of wood, but the restless spirit of a long-ago guest still bemoaning a particularly dreadful cup of tea. 

The University and the Hotel weren't just places within Spitzbergen, they were the archipelago's heart and soul. Every fading tapestry, every off-key note, every dusty corner held a quiet beauty born of sorrow. They were monuments to the peculiar allure of Spitzbergen, where melancholy itself was an art form.

They are a nation of bottled up shipbuilders, poets of profound sorrow, and keepers of odd and lingering traditions. And as the days turn to weeks, I feel an odd kinship with this place – and a peculiar charm that refuses to let me go.

In those waning days of August when the oppressive blanket of summer's heat still smothered the ancient cobblestones of Bilberry Junction's Rue Dreary, there dwelt a particularly afflicted soul whose melancholic demeanor seemed distinctly at odds with the lightness one expects to find in the salad days of youth. This young man, known only by the appellation "Blue" Sinclair in the demi-monde of the city's artistic avant-garde, was a self-anointed connoisseur and curator of life's multifarious anxieties.

II

Pride and Extreme Prejudice Against Pickles & Sunny Days

On this particular afternoon, the protagonist of our tale could be found ensconced in the sultry confines of Katz's Delicatessen - a hall where the aromas of cured meats and Yiddish exclamations intermingled in an olfactory fugue.

Blue slumped in a velvet booth, his lanky frame folded inelegantly amid the plush upholstery like a marionette whose strings had been unceremoniously cut.

Though the rich, unctuous scent of pastrami on rye typically provided a cure for his endlessly jangled nerves, on this day even its siren song failed to soothe the roiling sea of turmoil crashing within his troubled breast. 

"Arnold, my dear fellow," he lamented to the likewise glum-visaged accountant seated opposite, a man whose furrowed brow seemed to exist in a state of perpetual vexation. "It is the sheer, unmitigated injustice of it that vexes me so! For the pickle - that virulent, verdant villain! - has become a most unwelcome interloper upon my delicately composed delicatessen delectations."

Arnold regarded his companion with a world-weary sigh, no doubt the entire performance being a rerun of a play he had witnessed upteen times before. "It's a mere garnish, Blue. Utterly de rigueur in these epicurean environs, much like taxes and unexpected summer cloudbursts."

But Blue would not be dissuaded from his mania, waving a dismissive hand as if banishing some invisible demonic presence. "Pish posh, my pragmatic compatriot! Can you not perceive the sheer audacity of its uncouth arrival, disrupting the rapturous concerto of corned beef and seeded rye like a jarring discord in an otherwise harmonious composition?"  With a dramatic flourish, he pushed the offending vegetable towards the edge of his plate, as one might expel a crass dinner guest from a polite soirée.

Just then, Blue's gaze was drawn outwards through the misted windows of the delicatessen to the riotous ballet unfolding on the Bilberry streets beyond.

A woman in a canary yellow raincoat darted with purposeful strides across the avenue, clutching a oversized portfolio that strained against the downward pull of gravity.

A plump pigeon, blissfully unfazed by the human chaos swirling around it, pecked with hearty gusto at a discarded bagel.

The absurd juxtaposition of these competing vignettes gave the young man pause, staying for a fleeting moment the wild revolutions of his ever churning mind.

"Perhaps..." he mused aloud in that affected cadence so characteristic of self-styled intellectuals, the single word drawn out with melodramatic flair. "Perhaps this delicatessen is indeed a fitting metaphor for life itself, my dear Arnold? A curious cavalcade of the expected and the improbable, seasoned with a generous dollop of the delightfully unforeseen?"

Arnold raised a skeptical eyebrow, no doubt inured by now to his companion's paradoxical veering between the poles of hubris and insecurity. "If you ask me, that sounds like a recipe for a prolonged bout of indigestion and discontent."

But the seeds of profound contemplation had taken root in the fertile soil of Blue's ever active mind.

What if the true disruptor was not the errant pickle, this happenstance garnish added on a whim by some mischievous chef? What if its jarring presence served as a cosmic tuning fork, its sour note jolting him out of the complacent rhythms of habit into reawakened senses?  Like a rogue's gallery of monotony-shattering stimuli - the blaring jackhammer, the squawking avian choir, the acrid aroma of last night's trash pails - conspiring to pull him, at times against his will, into full sensuous communion with the sublime and the visceral?

"Arnold!" he proclaimed with that wild eyed look so characteristic of the gripped aesthete on the verge of fevered inspiration. "I perceive the faint start of a philosophical exploration taking shape in these humble surrounds. A treatise most urgently asserting itself - an Ode to the Pickle, perhaps? With copious annotations and digressionary footnotes, of course!"

His companion could not restrain the soul weary groan that issued forth, no doubt already anticipating the barrage of panicked telephone calls and rambling missives that would soon inundate the offices of Messrs. Weissman & Associates in the coming weeks.

Blue, however, was utterly insensible to the world around him, so transfixed was he by the invigorating vapor trails of his newly sparked obsession. 

For he had stumbled upon a profound conundrum, a question as vexing as the great unanswered mysteries of philosophy and theology.

What was the true nature of this aberrant, this iconoclastic garnish? A disruption to be vanquished or a necessary agitator keeping the palate, and mind, from ossifying in the complacent bath of the accepted and expected? Was the dissonant pang of the pickle not simply the universe's clarion call to remain awake, alive to the full potentiality of existence?

"Elsa, my dear!" Blue called out to the matronly waitress with a renewed zeal. "Another pastrami on rye, if you please. But this time...hold the pickle. We shall engage in a contrapuntal meditation, a Study in Taste if you will. All in the name of science and art!" He pressed a dramatic hand to his chest. "For is not the obsessive pursuit of life's fundamental paradoxes the noblest charge of the true aesthete?" 

October 04, 2024 09:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2024-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.