0 comments

Funny

“Oh, God, you cannot do this to me because I’m from a small town, I’m the granddaughter of a great dancer who was known for his exuberant moves”, yelled Jazz. The dance master was very furious about her behaviour. “Your grand dad, that loser who tried to dance but made a fool of himself and he called himself a tap dancer. Ha, Ha, Ha true tap dancer who impressed everyone”. The dance master was laughing to glory. Jazz was totally annoyed by his reaction.

Jazz ran fast to meet her dad, with tears of agony in her eyes. “Dad,” she screamed.”What is it my child”, replied Kevin, Jazz’s dad who was busy in his departmental store. “Dad, the dance master laughed at me and I was a laughing stock in front of everyone”. “Why did you go there my child, "with a cool voice. “You know very well that I like to dance and dance is my passion. Hence I wanted to join the best dance class nearby which is very close to our locality. But when I told him that I am the granddaughter of Mr. Wilson, he started laughing which was very disrespectful for such an artist. Kevin heaved a sigh and started blabbering to himself. ‘Dad, say something what are you whispering in a low voice”. 

“Why are people laughing on grand dad’s name, are they jealous or is there anything else I need to know”

With a heavy sigh Kevin replied,’ your grand father was a great man; he was the favourite of his neighbourhood. Everyone liked him because he was so talented and creative. I still remember your granny narrating his moves and his precision towards his act.” Jazz interrupted “Dad, if he was so well talented then why people laugh at his name, is it something funny about him. Or was he peculiar in his appearance. It’s very disrespectful to such a great man who was a tap dancer. “

“Dad, I want to become famous as grandpa, hence please let me follow his path”. “Can you just talk to that arrogant dance master to teach me tap dancing”? “Have some patience dear and listen to me, there are certain things you need to know, it’s a long story”

“Your grandpa was not a normal being like all of us. He was very vague and different. When he was in his teens, he was curious about finding out new things, he would try to create and his passion for innovation was truly flabbergasting. When he saw a bird flying he wanted to imitate the bird, hence he attached flaps on his back and tried his first flight, he fell down with a bang, and thankfully he was saved by the neighbours who had put soft bedding underneath the ground surface from where he took a flight to fall down. “

“Dad was he so innocent that he couldn’t understand the simple logic of gravity” “wow “exclaimed Kevin, he thought for himself, “My daughter is so clever”. With a smile on his face he continued, “Yes, he was very weird and innocent too,”

One day he saw masons constructing a building. An idea flashed to him his vague creative mind started working. He went to the constructer and said, “Sir, why do you have to spend so much money on the construction materials, you have lots of sand around and add glue to make a mixture which can become a concrete mixture for your construction. The constructer laughed and called him a fool.

“But your grand pa didn’t lose heart he just tried his new innovative idea and tried to construct a dog house, but lo with just a bang the dog broke is new dream of becoming a mason. Poor dad, his new technique was failure”

Once he tried to sing he was thrown out of the stage unable to bear his singing, some actually became deaf because of his singing. One day your grand pa had a toothache, it was terrible and his pain aggravated, hence he was taken to the dentist. After the visit he transformed himself in to a dentist, but the patients ran away because of his bad breath. So was your grand pa.

“But pa”, interrupted Jazz “How are all these things related to dancing. How did grand pa become a tap dancer? What is that picture hanging in our living room which has grandpa holding an award for best tap dancer?”

“Wait dear, I haven’t finished yet, your grandpa’s fantasies are not over yet”. “There was a tap dance competition in the city, it was a very prestigious competition, and as you know your weirdo grand father wanted to compete, he just took an entry into the competition, The d day arrived and your dear grandpa went on the stage, everyone were laughing at his appearance . He had dressed up in a very peculiar way and he had a tap in his hand. People started giggling but my dad was so confident that he danced with a tap in his hand and he called himself a tap dancer. The audience called him a clown and he was given an award for entertaining the audience. Though everybody out there laughed at his weirdo habits there was one person who admired his vague nature and it was granny, my dear mother who fell in love with him for his peculiar nature. The award which is in the picture is your granny’s, the best tap dancer in her time. “And grandpa after all that exuberant innovations and creations he settled down as a plumber repairing taps, hence he became dearest to the neighbourhood by repairing their taps.

“Oh, I didn’t know my granny was so talented, I’m so proud of my family”, so saying she got up. She just walked into the store and picked up something. ‘Bye, dad”, “where are you going child,”. “Dad, I’m going to learn tap dance “. Jazz replied with a full smile on her face. Kevin looked up, he was flabbergasted, she had a tap in her hand and she had dressed like a clown.   Kevin couldn’t stop laughing “Oh, no not again, I thought my daughter was very clever, but she has inherited my dad’s traits, a perfect descendant “.           

September 04, 2020 17:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.