Marissa and Stan cleaning up after a party

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Write your story about two characters tidying up after a party.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Suspense

Marissa and Stan are twins. They wanted to have a party because they didn’t have any parents home since their parents were on a business trip for a couple of days and they were up late last night. They had around 150 people at the party, they even had one of their friends doing the DJ, they had disco lights. 

What a mess. Even though the party was a blast last night, Marissa and Stan had a lot of cleaning to do before their parents came home. Marissa and Stan had been cleaning for what seemed like hours, and they were nowhere near done. With vacuuming and dusting to be done, picking up the house felt like a never-ending task. With just the two of them and a two-story house, they were going to be cleaning for a while. 

Aside from the small breaks by the hour, their one goal was to have the house exactly how it was when their parents left the nights before. While Stan went to tackle cleaning upstairs, Marissa, dragging her feet, went to the living room only to find bottles, empty cups, and empty bags of chips. When they woke up the next morning, they had a big mess to clean up before their parents got home. It took them 2 hours to get half of the house clean and they had a 2 story house with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. To them, it felt like 4 hours they had been cleaning the house, but it was only 2 hours and they were already tired from cleaning. 

They took a 10-minute break from cleaning to have a snack and immediately got back to work. Marissa felt as if she was almost done cleaning when she found more stuff to clean. Stan thought he was done and then turned around and saw more of a mess. They both looked at each other and said, “how did the house get this messy, how many did we have here last night?” They both shrugged at that because they forgot what all happened at the party. 

Marissa and Stan found a lot of beer bottles, empty cups, and empty bags of food. They threw out the beer bottles in the recycle bin out in the garage. They also got a garbage bag and they put all the empty cups they found in the bag and then put that into the recycle bin. They also threw away the empty bags of food and put them all in the garbage bin. They both looked at each other and then at the house and sighed because they realized they had a lot of cleaning left to do. As they were cleaning up from the party, they also vacuum, dust, and polish the furniture. They wanted to make sure everything was spotless when their parents got home. Some things even had a sparkle to them, once they finished cleaning those objects. 

They had 4 trash bags full of beer bottles and they were heavy also. There were also 3 trash bags full of empty cups and these weren’t as heavy as the beer bottle trash bags. There were also 3 bags of empty food bags and those were the lightest of the bags. But when they took all of the trash bags out into the garage they thought this looks a little suspicious to have this many trash bags in our garage. So they took the trash bags and took them to the garbage dump. They had around 10 bags of garbage that they threw out. 

When Marissa walks upstairs where Stan was cleaning she is amazed at what she sees. The upstairs is almost done being cleaned and she asks Stan “Once you finish cleaning upstairs can you come downstairs and help me clean, I am stressed out with the amount of cleaning I still have to do.” Marissa heads back downstairs and gets back to work with cleaning, and when she heard footsteps she got worried that it was her parent's back home. Instead, it was just Stan walking down the stairs to help Marissa clean the downstairs. Now Marissa doesn’t feel as stressed as she did because she had help. 

As they worked as a team to get the house back into the condition it was in when their parents left. This is the hardest they have worked to get the house clean and spotless before the parents arrived back home. They also wanted to make sure that everything was how it looked when the parents left the house. They didn’t want to get caught for having a party that they shouldn’t have had at their house. They made sure that everything was picked up and that there was no trace of a party at their house at all. 

They were so happy that they got all of the trash thrown out of the house and that the house was starting to look normal again after the party. They looked around and the house looked spotless and it was all cleaned up. They both went around the house one last time and looked around to see there was anything that they missed. 

Now Marissa and Stan were just polishing up the house and cleaning the stains off of some of the furniture. They were almost done with cleaning the house and they had been cleaning for like 4 hours now. They finally got the house back to normal and they got a call from their parents that they were on their way home. 

Their parents were only like an hour away and Marissa and Stan were just sitting on the couch watching a movie. Once their parents got home they greeted them and helped them carry in their bags. Their parents were very impressed with how nice the house looked when they got back home. Marissa and Stan were relieved when they didn’t get caught by their parents that they hosted a party while they were out of town. 

They got stressed over nothing in the end, because once they worked like a team to get the house cleaned they had nothing to worry about. The house looked perfect, so they wouldn’t have gotten caught by their parents. 

May 14, 2021 02:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.