0 comments

Funny Bedtime Adventure

“The Family Saga”

Sorry, Dusty; I promise I will give you tuna in the evening.

Dusty remarked with a groan and gave a sullen look to "M."

"Every time she promises, but she makes excuses, purr purr...."

"Now I have to share that horrid Pedigree with that annoying Bruno, who despite my repeated warnings doesn’t stop licking me." Plus, he is a major whiner. Grr Grr.

A regular day at the apartment ‘M," as usual, is boggled with work. With the upcoming event, she is always on her toes, unable to give time to her precious kids, a 4 year old Labrador, Bruno, and a 3 year old cat, Dusty.

Bruno always wags his tail whenever ‘M’ is around, and according to Dusty, he whines the whole day when she goes out for work. But Dusty, as she believes, "I am a good cat; I don’t like to whine like this Bruno, and why is he always wagging his tail? He is pretty annoying."

Anyway, after a good lunch (according to Bruno), Dusty, as usual, was pouting, and "M’ got back to her laptop to finish her work before the weekend. It was time for an afternoon siesta for the two babies. Bruno was, as usual, delighted that ‘M’ is working from home. And Dusty, well, well, she got a place on the couch next to ‘M’ to get into her dreamland. ‘M’ cuddled and pampered her a little; she responded with a little gesture. "Well, I have still not forgiven her for not giving tuna."

Brrr…Brrr… The sudden sound woke both babies from their reverie. ‘M’ was taking a break and switched on the television. Dusty couldn’t make much out of it except for some cars chasing each other like maniacs and making annoying noises. "Why would they do that"? Bruno went back to sleep, not bothered by the noise.

"What is ‘M’ holding in her hand"? That, Bruno, is a TV remote to change the channels. He is intelligent at times. Now wait, what is ‘M’ watching? It looks like a creature like me, somewhat bigger. The television just said, "It is a tiger."

"Now wait, what is this television saying? It is a large cat of the cat family. Wait, what family are they talking about? I have a cat family. I only remember my mom dying and ‘M’ picking me up from the garage. Which other family of mine is this"?

Suddenly, the channel remarks that cheetah, puma, jaguar, leopard, lion, tiger, and panther are all big members of the feline family, i.e., the cat family.

Before Dusty could process the statement, ‘M’ changes the channel.

"Argh, this ‘M’ can be so annoying at times. Why can’t she let me know about my family members"?

"But I am such a naive; I never knew till now; I have so many big and powerful family members. Now I will show everyone how big and powerful I am. This Bruno has to treat me with respect and stop licking me all the time."

Saying this, Dusty heads towards the balcony of the apartment. Looking down, she sees Ciril, the donkey, resting under the tree.

“Ah! There is Ciril, who always bores me with his stupid tales of going to the forest and sleeping in meadows and whatnot. I will show him now.”

Saying this, Dusty jumps at Ciril.

“What, who, hey, why are you sitting on my back”? Exclaims Ciril!

“Talk to me with respect; do you know which family I come from”? Says Dusty.

“Yes, you come from that 3rd floor of this big apartment. You stay with a nice lady and a friendly dog,” says Ciril.”

"No, you fool, they are not my family, but tiger, lion, cheetah, these are all members of my family, and you take me to them in the forest that you always brag of visiting."

Ciril stares at Dusty with a disbelief.

“Hey, if you don’t believe me, ask ‘KA’ the raven over there.”

"KA" the raven was considered a wise bird among all birds and animals in the lane.

As Ciril trots close to KA with Dusty on his back, he asks him, “is it true that tigers, lions, and cheetahs are all the family members of Dusty”?

KA replies, "Yes, it is true, and not just tigers, lions, and cheetahs, but pumas, jaguars, leopards, panthers, bobcats, and wild cats are all family members of Dusty. She has a big feline family."

After confirmation from KA, Ciril moves ahead with Dusty on her back. It is a long ride to the forest.

Dusty goes into a daydream where she imagines herself sitting next to a tiger, lion, bobcat, cheetah, and so on. It was a delightful dream!

But alas! Power and money can corrupt every creature on the planet, rendering them full of vanity. The sudden information about her relatives made Dusty swing with pride, and she wanted to climb to the skies.

"Move, move quick, you stupid donkey!" exclaimed Dusty."

"We have reached the outskirts of the forest; where do you want to go first, the tiger, lion, or panther?" says Ciril."

“Nooooooooooooooooo! Take me to that mouse over there, exclaims Dusty………..”

"So, all this saga of your relatives is nothing but a wild goose chase; you got me all the way to eat a mouse; you are nothing but a useless cat."

“Get off my back….says Ciril”

Thud!!!!

"Dusty, Dusty, what happened? Why did you fall down? So many times, I told you not to sleep on the edge of the couch." The familiar voice of ‘M’ woke up Dusty.

"Come, I brought you tuna; you will have it no. Bruno, I got chew sticks for you. "Come, come." Bruno wags his tail with delight as usual.

“Purr, Purr, exclaims Dusty! Thank God it was a dream. ‘M’ is so good and Bruno is also not so annoying after all. Who cares about the tigers and lions?”

“Slurrp! Slurrp! The tuna is amazing, I love you ‘M’ and I love you too Bruno.”

March 02, 2023 10:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.