1 comment

Fantasy Coming of Age Bedtime

Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there was a kind King. The King was wise and good, and all of his subjects loved him. The King, however, was unhappy, because his son, the Prince, was a rotten boy who complained all day long and remained ungrateful for all he had. 

“My son must be taught a lesson if he is to become king after me,” the King said to the Fairy Godmother. 

“What would you wish for me to do, my king?” She asked.

“Please dear Fairy Godmother, with all your wisdom and grace, please help my son. Teach him a lesson so that one day he may rule as wisely as I.” 

“This I can do, but beware, my king, this lesson will come with a price he must pay.” She warned. 

“He needs to be taught, dear Fairy Godmother. I have failed him as a father, but if you help him, he will be redeemed.” 

“Very well,” she said, and then disappeared in a poof of dust. 

The Prince was in his quarters, bored and angry from being in lessons all day. His face was still red from yelling and throwing a tantrum. 

“I never get to do what I want. I hate being here,” he said to no one in particular.  Just then, the Fairy Godmother appeared before him, causing him such fright. 

“My, my, good Fairy, you scared me! How dare you enter my quarters unannounced!” He yelled. 

“Young Prince, I have come to make a deal with you. An offer I think you might like. Please excuse my abrupt appearance, but I thought this was an issue of great importance.” She said with a smile.

The Prince was intrigued and said, “You are forgiven Fairy Godmother, now tell me, what is this deal you wish to offer me?” 

“Let me ask you this dear little Prince, do you love your life here?” 

The prince gave it some thought and then answered, “ No. I hate it here. I think everyone knows that. I am in lessons all day that bore me and get scolded when I climb a tree or play with the gardener’s boy. I’m always being told what to do and how I have to do the right thing. I wish I wasn’t a prince!” 

“Very well. Just as I suspected. My dear little Prince, if you give up something of value, I am willing to give you a different life in exchange. So, what shall you give up?” 

The prince looked around his quarters, and saw all his fine things; the toys and books he cared nothing for. His eyes fell to the painting of his family, his father’s crown catching his eye. “A prince, I want to give up being a prince!” 

“Very well,” said the Fairy Godmother, and with a quick wave of her wand, the Prince was transported. 

“Get to scrubbing!” An old Cook said, throwing a bucket of dirty soap water on the floor near the Prince’s feet. 

With a start, the Prince came to and looked all about him. He was in the lower levels of the castle, in the big kitchen,  his body covered in dirt and grime. His whole body ached as if he had spent all day running and playing.

“Now, come here you scullery maid, I want to see how well you’re getting on.” The cook said.  

“What?” The Prince replied, and then looked down, his body had changed! He was now a girl, dressed in a shabby peasant dress and no shoes on his feet. In his hand was a mop. “What did this Fairy Godmother do to me?” He asked himself as he began to mop the floor. 

The Prince’s days were filled with mopping the floor of the grand kitchen, scrubbing the pots, and helping the Cook when she needed it. He was never left alone to do what he wanted, and his bed was a little mat by the fire. He was always getting into trouble for doing things wrong, and his body hurt more than he could have ever thought possible. “This is worse than before, I hate this! I want my old life back!” He cried one night. 

As the Prince sat crying alone in his room, the Fairy Godmother appeared before him once more. 

“My dear little Prince, whyever are you so sad? Is this not what you wanted? A life different from what you had?” 

“You must think you’re so very clever, Fairy Godmother! This life is the worst yet! I hate being a scullery maid! I have to wear all of this, and am never allowed to go play outside and forced to clean all day! It’s the worst yet. I want my old life back! Please Fairy Godmother, what can I do? Surely you can help me.” He pleaded before her.

“But my dear little Prince, did you not want a life different from your own? Are you sure you want to go back to your lessons and be a prince?” 

The Prince looked up and dried his eyes. “Yes Fairy Godmother, I have learned that I like my lessons, they are more interesting than I had thought before. I like running around the garden, even if I can’t climb a tree. I didn’t know there could be anything worse but now I do. I am grateful for all I had. Please Fairy Godmother, let it be as it was.” 

“You have true repentance, and that is your salvation. Go to sleep now my little Prince, and when you wake all will be as it was.” 

So the Prince did as she said, and climbed onto his little mat by the fire. When he woke the next morning he was back in his old bed, his dress gone and replaced with his shirt and trousers. “Hooray! I am back to my old self again!” He said with delight. He ran around his room, hugging his toys and books. He went on to become known as a smart lad, who was studious with his lessons, and as kind as his father. He never talked down to the servants, especially the scullery maids, and showed respect to everyone. He and his kingdom lived happily ever after. 

April 05, 2021 17:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Crystal Lewis
10:21 Apr 11, 2021

Short and to the point but with a little bit a moral to it. Nicely done. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.