0 comments

Asian American East Asian Romance

 Blackpink in your area! We all sang in an uproar. I was with my dance team at my local dance studio. We are a group of mostly East Asians. I've been dancing and singing with them for a few years now. I've always been a fan of K-pop as I've grown up in South Korea with my family. I soon came to California because my parents wanted a better life for me and my younger siblings, Esme and Elaine. I have always had a passion for singing and dancing. My dream was to become an idol. Of course, that's just a silly dream. I can't help but wonder how it would be if I were to be an idol for real. Even though I couldn't ever be able to since it is so hard to get in. 

I quickly snapped back into reality as our coach told us we had done decently and gave us a quick water break. She yelled. "Sunni, come here for a second I need to talk to you." Oh, shoot, what did I do? I walked to her feeling wearily. I gulped as I answered, "Yes, coach?" 

"Don't worry, you aren't in trouble. It's something good," the coach replied. Huh, I wonder what it was. "Well, I'm not sure if you've heard that there are auditions for a K-pop group. You should apply since you have the skills for it". I was speechless that she thinks I have the skills to be a K-pop star. I could never believe that. I'm not the level of a true idol. "I'll try and audition for it. I probably won't even have a chance of getting in," I replied. "You won't ever know unless you try," said Coach Denise. 

I came back to the other group members. They asked what Coach Denise had asked me. With a grin, I replied, "She told me that I should audition for the new K-pop idol recruiting applications!" My friends all congratulated me with a squeal. My best friend, Enzo, said we should go out tonight to get dinner to celebrate and do a duo dance routine. I saw my friends smiling because I had a thing for Enzo. I could never confess that though we've been friends since elementary school. I don't want to ruin my friendship with Enzo. I agreed, and we continued to dance until about four o'clock. 

Finally, we finished dancing me and Enzo walked to his car. I forgot to mention that he drives me everywhere. While getting into the Honda I asked him where we were going. He didn't answer my question and said, "You'll see when we get there." After 20 minutes, we finally got to our destination. It was the place where I caught feelings for Enzo. 

I thanked him then we went in. A waiter came up to serve us when we got to our table as we were sitting down. She said, "You two are such a cute couple!" I felt flustered, I felt my face getting red. Enzo kindly denied it for me. We ordered and had the time of our lives. I couldn't help but admire him. His perfect curly hair, the smile he's so insecure about, and so much more. Enzo asked me, "Why are you staring at me so intently?" I quickly felt a flush of bush across my face. I stuttered, "It's nothing...!" He seemed pretty flustered too. He said nervously, "I wanted to tell you something, but not yet. I want to show you something first." Confused, he paid and then left back to the car. 

I woke up confused, already an hour had passed. Enzo looked over to me, "We're almost there, trust me it's worth the wait." We finally arrived, I was so confused as we were in the middle of nowhere. He held my hand as he pulled me out of the car. We started to run and dance, fulfilling my life. I giggled, "where are we going?" He replied, "Just follow my lead." I soon found myself at this beautiful and mesmerizing beach. Holy crap, he did this all for me? There was a picnic on the beach laying there with a speaker and string lights. 

I looked over at Enzo with so much love and hugged him tight. I love him so much. I and Enzo spent the night together we danced so greatly that night. I whispered to him, "I like you, not just as a friend". Enzo whispered back into my ear, "I like you too, a lot". 

I submitted my audition, me and Enzo did it together, we've been together for a little over a month together, and he's not just a great partner, he's a great dance partner too. I worked so hard over these years and my life is currently so good. I am finally dating the guy who I have been so in love with for half my life. I have amazing friends and family who I couldn't ask more for. My grades are all good. The only thing left for me in that audition. I check my email every other hour at this point. Everyone is saying that this week the results are coming out. There are very limited spots for people that are in South Korea already. 

I was on my way to math class when I got a notification I opened it without a thought. I didn't think that this would have changed my life. I read it with my hands sweaty. Dear Ms. Sunni Lee, we are happy to congratulate you. We have accepted your audition. 

Oh my God! I start screaming yelling that I got accepted! I quickly call my parents about the news. Soon it's time for me to leave and go to Korea and become a trainee. I can't believe that I have to leave everyone and go to Korea all by myself. I and Enzo decided that we would try to do long distance. I really hope that it will work out but I will never know till the end. There's no one else but my family who I would miss the most, although they did promise that eventually that they too will be moving back to Seoul, Korea. I feel so lonely but I know that I will always have them in my heart. 

June 10, 2023 03:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.