Where do we go from here?

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story that features zombies.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Adventure Fantasy

Alex woke from her bed to close the window, the air from the window was cold and Alex could see the sky was grey.  She emerged from her room to find that everyone besides herself and her snoring father, everyone else had left for the day.

Alex started her day with a shower. In her room, Alex dressed in her usual jeans and a graphic tee; today was a Selena tee. She proceeded to brush her medium- length brown colored hair. She had never worn makeup ever but had a beautiful vanity in her room where she put on a subtle shade of lip gloss and her black framed glasses. After getting ready she went to the kitchen and poured a cup of coffee before going to wait for the bus. 

The bus arrived on time which was out of the ordinary because it was 8:00 AM Monday morning when Alex had arrived and the bus never arrived on time. The bus ride up to school was long as usual but not as many people joined her on the bus. The rain fell heavily and the thunder boomed as the lightning hit over Lake Michigan. 

Alex pulled out her umbrella as she stepped off the bus. The wind picked up and almost blew her umbrella inside out. She muscled through the cold rain. She was going to meet her mom and sister who worked underground at an important company named ZAL. On her walk to the facility she saw her sister pull up by her.

“Get in we’re going on a Starbucks run” Sally pulled up next to Alex and rolled the window down enough to talk to her sister.

Alex did so and they drove to the nearest Starbucks. The workers were usually busy but Alex thought she saw two of her friends  who she had gone to high school with. She shook her head and they were gone. Both girls hurried back to the facility with iced coffees, lattes, frappuccinos, teas, and many more different drinks. 

The girls parked the car and got ready to leave the car. The girls started walking to meet their mother when they heard a crash and got hit with what felt like falling debris. They turned to see what the sound was when they saw an unknown woman laying sprawled across the windshield of the car they just stepped out of. Another body followed. Then another, and another.

The girls looked at each other, and then up to sky to see a building standing so tall it seemed to be never ending. Their mouths stood open and the drinks fell from their grasp.

“What the hell is going on? Did they have a suicide pact or something?” Sally said this as she tried to pick up the littered cups.

“I have no idea but it seems really weird.” Alex said this with fear in her throat.

Screaming and moaning came from behind them.

The girls started running and found themselves coming upon more and more people screaming as those who jumped out of the building. A stench was coming off of them. 

“What is that repulsive smell?” Sally put her hand over her nose

“Dead flowers, decay, maybe the trees. I don’t know but it's disgusting and we have to get away from whatever the hell is going on.” Alex began to run ahead of her sister. She was trying to pinpoint the smell and find perspective on what just happened.

ALEX!! HELPPPP!!!

Alex turned around and saw Sally being bitten by a gray, rabid creature that smelled so strong with death. The creature had wrinkled pale skin, the eyes were empty as if it could stare right through you. Alex started toward her sister but caught herself. Sally was bitten, turned into a living dead creature. Who moaned and joined the rest, the light drained from her older sister’s eyes and Sally was gone.

The rain was falling a little softer now, added to the rain was the screech and scream of those living and those dead. Those living ran helplessly terrified and those dead chased after the living for their victims.

Alex ran until she couldn’t run anymore and to her surprise she stopped outside of the Starbucks that she stood and joked with her sister just half an hour ago. She went inside where it still smelled of coffee. 

PSSSSHHHHTTT!!

She looked around but the Starbucks was empty. 

“Alex, right here” A head peeked up from behind the counter.

“Cara! I thought you were Wisconsin.”

SHHHH get over here.”

Alex stood shocked for a moment as she saw her childhood friend. She went to embrace her with a tight bear hug. She cried as she hugged her friend for what seemed like forever. Cara smelled of perfume that was similar to a flower. Cara stood back away from Alex and the two were silent for a while.

Cara and Alex had met in the 5th grade and stayed friends through high school. Alex had feelings for her friend which she shared but Cara wasn’t interested at all. Cara was black haired, she had beautiful brown eyes with subtle bags from the lack of sleep. She had a smile that could make anybody's day better, according to Alex. To Alex, she was gorgeous.

“I’ve been in Chicago for a month. My school takes an early fall break. I’m actually here with some more friends you might know. Hey Jaelyn, it's okay come out.”  Cara said this with a smile, gesturing to yet another one of Alex’s friends.

“Hey Lex” Jaelyn stood up from behind the counter but there was only a hello exchanged. Jaelyn had dated Alex before moving to Indiana in their freshman year. She stuck around for two years.

“Hey Jae, you’re back. Ummm hey guys the world is kind of going to shit out there so if there are anymore introductions can we speed them along.” Alex rolled her eyes and pointed outside.

“Yeah, we hid in here after we saw people attacking each other. What do we do?”

“I was going to look for my family or friends but I found some friends, now to look for family. Thank God for that early break.”

“There is an abandoned bus on State street that we can take. I saw it before we ran in here” Jaelyn said this as she walked towards the Macy’s side of the building.

“We have to move quickly and stay clear of any zombies.”

Both Jaelyn and Cara shook their head affirmatively and the girls ventured through the Macy’s store. The store was empty and the girls could hear their footfalls as they walked to the other side of the store

“ Wait guys, shouldn’t we pack like a bag or something with clothes” Cara whispered as she motioned to the sports duffle bags she saw. 

“Okay take five minutes and then we’ll walk through to the other side.”  Alex held out her hand towards Cara. 

Alex and Cara walked together as Jaelyn rolled her eyes and walked towards a clothes rack. The girls took a black duffle bag each and filled it with t- shirts, sweatpants, and sweaters. 

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

The girls rushed out of their given places in the store but they were all okay. They turned towards the escalator and saw at the bottom was a young girl that had a living dead creature gnawing at her arm. 

“Go fast but quietly” Alex whispered this gesturing to the State street door. 

Cara, Jaelyn, and Alex took off their shoes and bolted to the door with their bags in hand. Pushing the door open, they saw a bus appearing empty. They ran from the door to the bus. Cara and Alex jimmied the doors open while Jaelyn was looking out for creatures. They finally got the doors open and jumped inside. The keys were found under the driver’s chair. Cara began sobbing while Alex and Jaelyn went to sweep the bus they were in.

“Alright the bus is all clear. We found some phones and loose change.” Jaelyn came back to the front of the bus closest to the driver's seat looking for a radio.

“It's going to be okay Cara. We’re gonna go look for our family. I know where my mother is and she is safe. We have to go find our family and see who we can save.” Alex wiped Cara’s  tears on her sweater.

They smiled at each other and gave each other a hug before starting their adventure south. The girls arrived on the Southeast side of Chicago at noon. Cara and Alex went to their houses which were down the street from each other. They met back at the bus where they found Jaelyn with a note next to her body. She had taken a bottle of pills from a house she went into across the street from Alex’s.

“We have to get off the bus before she turns.” Cara and Alex grabbed Jaelyn’s lifeless body and walked her over to the empty house that used to belong to Alex. 

The two girls drove onto the high school where both had siblings and they had attended themselves. They saw people fleeing and they found creatures behind them. A familiar face was there that Alex knew as her brother Jackson.

“Hurry up lets go!!” The doors whizzed open.

While running Jackson tripped over a body and the body stood up, turned his head and screamed and bit Jackson on his ankle. 

NOOOO JACKSON!!!!

They drove on and found Cara’s brother and mother, Adrian and Amelia. They spotted the bus and ran to the open door.

“What is going on?” 

“I’m glad you found us, mija.”

“The living dead is happening. Zombies are eating our friends and family. Have you seen Alex’s sister Sam?”

Cara’s mom hugged Cara and then turned to Alex and touched her shoulder and expressed her condolences for her brother. Adrian still looked outside the window, he was silent now with his head down. 

They drove away down to the nearest grocery store. All had gotten hungry and they scoured the surrounding stores for food. They found some bats, and a few guns in the stores they seized. Loaves of bread, ham and cheese, pieces of fruit, Little Debbie pastries, bags of chips, and beverages of all kinds also joined them on the bus.

“Where to next?” Cara took the wheel and put the bus in drive. 

“We have to find Sam and go meet my mother at the facility.” 

They headed north this time back downtown. The ride was bumpy as they ran over some of the zombies that headed towards the front of the bus. Cracking of bones and loud moans sounded outside. Wrappers echoed in the bus as sandwiches were made and snacks were eaten.

They arrived at the underground garage at 2:30 in the afternoon. 

“Everyone take off your shoes and be as quiet as possible. They seem to be attracted to sound and movement. Bags need not to make any noise either, our food needs to be kept safe.”

Everyone stuffed their shoes in their bags and used Jaelyn’s old bag for food and drinks. Cara and Alex stepped off the bus, a gun and a bat in hand. Adrian and Amelia followed the same way. Footsteps were echoing through the garage but they weren’t their own. A shadow formed in the light of the garage and weapons were drawn. The shadow got closer to the lights and a gun fired. 

BANNNNNGGGGG!!!!

“Alex, Alex it's me. It's Sam.” 

“Sam, I’ve been looking everywhere for you. We went to the school to find you and Jackson.” Alex lowered the gun

“Where is Jackson and Sally? Are they on the bus?”

Alex’s eyes filled with tears and she let out a short sigh. She felt a hand grip her hand. It was Cara’s. She smiled at her and Alex gave the news to her sister.

“Sally was bitten on the neck outside of the car by Starbucks after we saw people throwing themselves out of windows. Jackson was bit on the ankle outside of the high school. Have you found mom?”

“She’s in the facility all the employees ran out of the building but we locked ourselves inside and haven’t had any trouble since.” She choked back tears and pointed to the door at the end of the garage.

Sam motioned for everyone to follow and they did so with weapons drawn. They walked slowly to the door that led into the facility. Adrian and Alex led the way, with their guns at the ready. When they entered the building they crept slowly as they walked towards where they would soon find Alex’s mom.

“MOM!! I found you, I thought we wouldn’t find you.” Alex began sobbing as she hugged her mother. 

“Oh sweetie, we’re all fine.”

“Sally and Jackson are part of the living dead. I tried to save Jackson but Sally was too far gone.”

“We were expecting losses. Your father is also a part of the living dead, he tried to get in the garage but they swarmed him and he was eaten. Sam arrived just before everyone started fleeing, she stole a car from the teachers parking lot at school.”

Alex wiped her tears and grabbed tissues for herself, her mother and Sam. Her mom hugged Sam and Alex. Then looked at Cara and what was left of her family.

“Mom, you remember my friend Cara. This is her mother Amelia, and her brother Adrian.”

“Nice to see you again, Cara. Hello Amelia and Adrian. Put your belongings anywhere and then use the fridge to keep everything fresh before we lose power. Amelia when you get situated please come with me so we can talk a minute.”

Cara and Alex walked to the kitchen area to put the food and drinks away and sat down in a vacant office to settle from the day they had. Adrian and Sam put clothes, weapons, and anything else they had into a pile in one of the empty offices. Julie, Alex’s mom, and Amelia stood talking as the kids put everything into its place.

“Are you okay, Al?” Cara said this as she sat next to Alex.

“I’ve seen my kid brother and older sister eaten by vicious zombies. My ex killed herself because she couldn't  handle the madness. What are we going to do?” Alex sobbed and held her head in her hands.

“Sweet pea, look at me,”  She picked up Alex’s head and wiped her tears.

“You're strong and you have me. You’re not alone but it was very traumatic for the both of us.  I am here for you and so is your family.” 

“Thank you, Cara. You’ve helped me so much. I’m glad I found you in that Starbucks.”

 Alex began to stand up but was pulled down into her seat by Cara. Cara at first hugged her for what seemed like forever and then looked at Alex before kissing her. The girls started making out; Cara ran her fingers through Alex’s soft brown hair.

“ALEX!! CARA!!!”

The girls kept making out and began to take off their clothes. Cara took off Alex’s shirt and bra then dropped them on the floor and began to kiss her breasts. Alex moaned as goosebumps crept up on her skin. Alex took off Cara’s shirt and then continued to kiss Cara. Alex heard footsteps and the two girls listened for more. They were getting closer and the two girls scrambled for their clothes.

“Alex are you in he--” Sam was in the doorway and quickly turned the other way.

“Sam, can you give us a minute and we'll meet you back by everyone else. Close the door please.” Alex said this as she covered her chest.

The two girls looked at each other and giggled. Alex and Cara laughed with each other but the two were vulnerable in this moment. They had known a day like this would come. They never expected it to come on the day that zombies inhabited the Earth. The two started kissing again and started taking off more clothes until they were both naked in the vacant office. Moans filled the room as the girls made love to each other.

A knock came at the door as the two again sat talking to each other about the time they spent apart.

“Who is it?” 

“Cara, is that you.” Adrian nudged the door open

“What’s up buddy?”

“The moms want a meeting with everyone.”

The girls went back to the main area where they found their moms and siblings waiting patiently.

“Nice of you guys to join us again. How are you feeling?” Julie said this as she looked at the kids.

“I’m okay, mom. We were just talking about our time in college before everything happened and then what happened on our bus ride.” Alex flashed a smile and wink at Cara.

Julie and Amelia took turns speaking to the small group. 

“As of right now, we are not individuals, we are a group and together we need to be as one.”

“When the food and drinks run out, we all go out in the bus together with our weapons and in partners.” 

“We wash everything by hand and we need more necessities. Everyone must help, unless they are hurt.” 

“We work together and we leave none of us behind.” 

Everyone applauded at the statements of their mothers. Alex stood dumbfounded looking past everyone and she held so many questions. How do we stay alive now? Do we stay here full time except for meals? What happens when everything is gone? What about Cara, what happens when something happens to her and I can’t recover from that? How do we survive? Where do we go from here?

September 19, 2020 22:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.