6 comments

Fiction Friendship Middle School

The annual sixth grade class trip was approaching, and best friends Rachel and Laurie were equally excited as they were apprehensive. Five days and four nights away from their homes, their families and their own cozy beds made the two twelve-year-olds rethink the decision to attend. However, this particular trip was mandatory attendance with the only exceptions accompanied by a note from a doctor. A rite of passage for the last year in elementary school, each class passed down stories of survival as if they were a perpetual urban legend strategically designed to frighten the next victims. 

The girls sat in the food court waiting for their mothers to deliver their lunch requests on large red plastic trays. Rachel and Laurie compared lists, checking off each required item as they were purchased. Sensing their anxiety, the girls' mothers tried to make the best of the day by treating them to their favorite food court fare. One would assume the two preteens would be thrilled to be on a shopping spree, but this one almost felt like punishment. Somehow new matching pajamas and slippers didn’t have the appeal they should for the pair of friends. 

Rachel folded the printed list and stuffed it back into her coat pocket, “We still need an insulated water bottle and a pocket knife. Really? A knife? I mean, what do they expect us to do with it?” 

“I have no idea.” Laurie made a face as if she were smelling something rotting. “This whole trip is just stupid. Why do we need all that nature anyway? It’s not like we’d ever choose to live in the wilderness on purpose.” 

“So many things could go wrong for us. I mean, what if our stuff isn’t like everyone else’s? My sleeping bag has pink flowers on it, and my raincoat has that stupid little frog patch on the sleeve where I tore it on the back fence last summer. The girls in our class already think I’m a huge dork and now I have to shower in front of them!” 

Laurie felt every bit of her friend's angst. “What about the boys? I know they have their own cabin and stuff, but they could still totally see us in our pajamas or worse, in our underwear when we’re changing. I think I’m going to puke.” 

The girls were soon joined by their moms who enthusiastically unloaded the plastic trays and set the cornucopia of junk food out for their daughters to devour. Rachel and Laurie apprehensively picked at the offerings as if they were experiencing fast food for the first time. Their stomachs churned with every worrisome thought and speculation. Their mothers were rightly concerned with the uncharacteristic behavior and tried desperately to ease their unsubstantiated fears. 

Laurie looked up with tears welling in her eyes, “Oh, what if we get, you know, our periods while we’re there? I might die!” 

Rachel squirmed in her chair, “Laur, my mom packed some supplies in the bottom of my backpack. You know, in that secret zipper compartment. There’s enough for both of us so just let me know if that happens and I will totally help you.” 

Rachel’s mother addressed both girls, “I know you’re both worried about what may happen so far from home but remember you two will have one another to rely on, nothing else matters. The odds of either of you getting your first period in the next five days, never mind both of you are slim. If you two feel uncomfortable or afraid, find comfort in your friendship, ok?”

The girls smiled and exchanged a quick hug before deciding their lunch was in fact fit for consumption. 

************************************************************

The rented bus reeked of disinfectant and bubble gum lip gloss. Rachel and Laurie sat toward the front, well aware of the back of the bus rule, cool kids only. Rachel stored her backpack under the seat and pulled a paper bag from her jacket pocket. “Snacks.” she whispered to Laurie. Although the camp was less than one hundred miles from the school, arrival time was determined at three hours from departure. The girls settled in and vowed to make the most of the time spent seated and quiet as instructed. 

Laurie tapped Rachel's arm and revealed her cell phone to her friend. “Look!” 

Rachel gasped and giggled, “You’re not supposed to have that.”

“I know. But my mom didn’t think the no phone rule was necessary. She told me to keep it hidden and only use it for emergencies. If I get caught with it, I could be suspended.” Laurie concealed the contraband in a small duffel and shoved it under the seat next to Rachel’s bag. 

Three hours in a bus may as well have been three days. The girls tried to keep one another occupied and in good spirits while enduring camp songs, badly sung by the cool kids at the back of the bus. The repetition nearly drove them out of their minds, as both wondered why one of the chaperones hadn’t told them to shut up yet. “Do you think we’re nearly there?” Laurie asked.

Rachel responded, “God, I hope so.”

The bus rounded the corner of a wide dirt road, finally settling in a clearing surrounded by dilapidated log cabins and kitsch Native American yard art. The cool kids cheered excitedly as if they were privy to secret information Rachel and Laurie hadn’t received. Thirty students stood and flailed in the aisle, stretching their awkward bodies. The bus driver exited first in order to open the cargo doors and expel the luggage directly into the dirt without regard for anyone’s personal property. Mrs. Weber the assistant principal climbed aboard and let out a whistle worthy of calling stray dogs for miles around. 

“Excuse me!” she bellowed. “Everyone, take a seat.” The confused children complied. “Now, when I call your name, you may exit the bus, collect your bags and report to your assigned chaperone, understood?” Her question was quickly answered by a resounding yes. 

“Rachel Tracey!” 

Rachel stood and made her way into the bus aisle despite the two boys behind her sticking their legs through the space under her seat in an attempt to hook her ankles. She sighed deeply and managed to step into the courtyard just in time to witness her duffel bag sailing through the air and landing directly in the dry dusty dirt just left of the growing mound of unclaimed luggage. She anxiously waited for Laurie to disembark, hoping her best friend would ease the feelings of dread bubbling in her stomach, threatening to rise into her throat and escape all over the dirt. She heard Mrs. Weber shout from inside the bus.

“Laurie Richards!”

Reunited, Rachel and Laurie clung to one another while the chaperones and some woman who obviously worked for the camp and even more obviously hated children, herded thirty preteens in four different directions.  The boys were split into two separate cabins, as were the girls. Instantly, the horror of being separated overwhelmed the young friends. Laurie felt the tears burn in her eyes at the very thought of enduring the next five days without Rachel. She tightened her grip on Rachel’s hand, “Can they do this?” she asked meekly. 

“No, they can’t!” Rachel declared as she approached Mrs. Weber, “Excuse me, but Laurie and I requested to bunk together. We wrote it on our permission slips and our mom’s signed them. There must be a mistake and we need to fix it.” 

Mrs. Weber tried suppressing a chuckle, “Well now, I feel that the two of you will get more from this experience if you were not completely reliant on each other. Therefore, you’ve been assigned to different cabins for the duration of this school trip. Please follow your chaperones to the cabins and we will see you both in the mess hall for dinner.” 

Rachel opened her mouth the protest further, but her words were thwarted before they had the opportunity to escape. Mrs. Weber stomped her foot in the dirt releasing a cloud of red dust directly in front of Rachel, “Do as you're told, no argument.” 

Laurie wiped her tears with the back of her hand and hugged Rachel, “At least we will see each other for dinner. I guess that’s something.”  She tried to ease the frustration from her friend before Rachel risked suspension by defying Mrs. Weber. Rachel didn’t press the issue any further, fearing Laurie would be in trouble as well, just for knowing her. 

Each evening, all thirty students gathered in the main cabin for dinner. The dining hall was depressing at best with its metal folding tables and prison gray cement floors. The food was substandard and even the students who were seemingly enjoying the experience grumbled at the sight and stench of their evening meals. The first dinner was uneventful until the girls had to report back to their respective cabins. Laurie held Rachel’s sleeve as they walked from the dining hall into the courtyard. “See you tomorrow.” she whimpered. 

The next evening found Rachel sitting alone in the corner of the dining hall. Laurie arrived moments later and rushed to her friend's side. “Why are you alone?” 

“I shoved Carrie.” she stated. 

“Why?”

“We were in the stupid woods and the guide had us make a fire and brew sassafras tea from actual roots.” 

“Yes, we did that too. It was awful.”

“Yeah, well Carrie has an older sister that told her about the tea and had her bring sugar packets for everyone.”

“That was nice.”

“Everyone but me.”

Laurie hugged her friend, “That’s when you shoved her?” she asked.

“Yeah, she sort of stumbled backwards and she said I twisted her ankle. She came back from the infirmary with crutches and now all the girls totally hate me.”

“I don’t hate you.”

The third evening in the dining hall, Laurie confessed to her friend that some of the other girls took her robe leaving her wrapped in only a towel as she exited the showers. “They knew the boys planned to run through our cabin this morning and stole my robe. I was in my towel frantically searching my bags for my robe when they ran through. Rachel, I was so embarrassed.” 

“Do you know who took it?” 

“No, but it was laying across my bunk when I came out of the bathroom after getting dressed. Of course, it was too late, the boys saw me in only a towel. I had nowhere to hide.”

Rachel scanned the large room and noticed a group of girls near the door giggling, pointing and whispering. “I think I know who took it.” she said pointing to Laurie’s tormentors. Rachel confidently strode toward the girls; fists balled and face reddened. They tried ignoring her, but she would not be dismissed. “Hey! If you ever touch my friend's belongings again, I swear I’ll knock the braces right off your teeth!” 

Amy, one of the more popular girls, widened her eyes, “I have no idea as to what you’re talking about.” 

Rachel raised her voice, “Yes you do. She shook her fists at Amy who let out a fake scream as if she were frightened, alerting one of the chaperones who rushed to Amy’s aid.

“Girls, what is going on here?” 

Amy feigned sobs. “Rachel accused me of stealing, then she said she was going to hit me.” 

The chaperone scowled and escorted Rachel back to her table, “One more strike missy and you will be punished, understand?”

By the fourth evening Rachel and Laurie were counting the hours until they could leave for home. Laurie had been given the awful moniker of “towel tart” implying she intentionally remained unclothed in front of the boys. She had water poured in her sleeping bag and mud put in her shoes. That morning she attempted to call home but as she took her cell phone from her bag and tried stuffing it in her pocket, one of the girls caught her and immediately alerted the nearest adult. Mrs. Weber appeared out of nowhere, confiscating the phone and threatened Laurie with suspension. 

Rachel’s snack bag was taken from her duffel and the remaining contents were strewn over her bunk. Upon returning from their afternoon hike, the bunkmates found a family of raccoons relaxing on Rachel’s sleeping bag, munching on a sleeve of chocolate chip cookies. The camp staff had to be called in to safely remove the animals and once again Rachel was charged with delinquent behavior. “That is your third strike Rachel. You will be issued a three-day suspension as soon as we return to the school tomorrow.” 

The students were advised to have their belongings packed and left outside of their cabins on the last morning of the trip. According to the printed itinerary, there were a few hours of free time before the bus departed for home. Some students chose to purchase souvenirs while others simply milled around sharing stories and taking photos with their disposable cameras. 

Rachel and Laurie met outside of Rachel’s cabin. “I heard there are salamanders in the pond behind the main building, want to go check it out?” Rachel offered.

Laurie eagerly agreed, anxious to spend some time with her best friend. “If we can catch some, we can bring them home in our water bottles and keep them as pets.” 

“Yes, let’s do that!”

The two friends snuck around the building and down a shallow embankment to the edge of a murky pond. They sank a few inches in the mud as they approached the water. The girls giggled and splashed in the cloudy pond hoping to stir up a few salamanders. 

“Look!” Laurie exclaimed. “There they are!” The girls reached into the pond and scooped up several of the lizard-like oddities. “Oh, they’re adorable!” 

Rachel managed to get two into her water bottle, “I’m going to name them Buffy and Fluffy.” she teased.

Sweaty, muddy and happy for the first time in five days, the girls raced back to the main cabin only to discover an abandoned courtyard where their luggage and classmates once were. 

Rachel gasped, “They’re gone!” 

Laurie began to shake, “Let’s find someone to help us.”

The girls raced into the main cabin in search of assistance. The woman seated behind the large desk looked bewildered as she informed the two friends, “Your bus left about ten minutes ago. It arrived early and departed at noon.” 

 “Can we please call home?” Rachel asked. 

The woman handed her the phone as she raised her hands to her head in disbelief.

Rachel dialed, “Mom, the bus left without us. We’re stuck here with no way to get home!” 

Rachel’s mother assured her they would be there as soon as they could to retrieve them.

“Honey, sit tight, Laurie’s mom and I are on our way. Can you give the phone back to the camp worker?”

The woman in charge of the front desk and reservations took the phone from Rachel, “Hello?”

“Yes, I’m hoping you can help me. I need to contact someone from my daughter's school, immediately.”

“I only have a number for the school, you’ll have to wait until they return.” the woman said sheepishly.

Laurie piped up, “Call my cell phone! Mrs. Weber took it away from me yesterday.” 

Rachel’s mother assured the girls they’d see her soon and hung up. She dialed Laurie’s cell, hoping for someone to answer. As luck would have it, Mrs. Weber obliged. “Hello?” she offered.

Mrs. Weber?”

“Yes.”

  “This is Mrs. Tracey, Rachel’s mom. I’m wondering why you’re answering Laurie Richards’ cell phone.”

“I confiscated it. You must know, the students were forbidden to have their phones on this trip. Laurie broke the rules. And, while I have your attention, I feel the need to inform you that your daughter is looking at a three-day suspension, minimum, she repeatedly disobeyed our rules this week as well.”

“Mrs. Weber, might I inform you; our girls are in no danger of being disciplined for their actions while on this class trip.”

“That is not for you to determine, Mrs. Tracey.”

“Actually, it is. Unless of course you can tell me where my daughter and her friend Laurie are at this very moment.”

Mrs. Weber frantically scanned the bus for the girls, eventually realizing they hadn’t boarded and were in fact left behind. She stuttered and made inaudible noises, searching for an explanation. 

Mrs. Tracey responded, “That’s what I thought. If you value your job, I suggest you come up with something better than babble by the time I return from picking up our girls. You know, the very students you left behind. “ 

May 18, 2023 01:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Mary Bendickson
04:23 May 26, 2023

The adults should be sent to detention for allowing such mis-conduct under their noses and leaving kids behind!

Reply

Myranda Marie
14:47 May 26, 2023

Exactly ! It's an accountability story. Teaching kids to be accountable for their actions only works if you lead by example. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Siddham
11:33 May 25, 2023

You've captured a school camp's anxiety and horror feelings really well. In the midst of all of this, certain friendships become stronger and you did well with your characters Laurie and Rachel. As I was reading, I kept guessing how the story would unfold or end, and you did well with that twist. Congrats!

Reply

Myranda Marie
16:23 May 25, 2023

Thank you. I never would have guessed this story would receive comments, favorably or otherwise. I'm thrilled it has !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
00:07 May 22, 2023

That took me back to 4-H camp days. That first time away from home was an experience. You captured the feelings well. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Myranda Marie
01:03 May 22, 2023

Thank you so much for your comment! This story is fiction but inspired by my own sixth grade trip and my best friend Lynne. {forty four years later, she and I are still friends}. Your comment is the first I have received, and so appreciated !!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.