Contest #256 shortlist ⭐️

Underneath Fernando

Submitted into Contest #256 in response to: Set your story in the stands at a major sporting event.... view prompt

18 comments

Drama Fiction Latinx

Ricardo followed Jorge reluctantly up the stairs to their section of the stands. Jorge turned to Ricardo, saw the expression on his face and rolled his eyes.

“Why did you say yes to this if that’s how you’re going to look?” Jorge asked.

“For the free booze and hot dogs,” Ricardo responded dryly.

Jorge shook his head but said nothing.

They got to their seats and Ricardo looked out at the field.

Night games were admittedly somewhat magical.

He didn’t know why, but it felt otherworldly.

Like the teams and the crowd were momentarily thrust into a different dimension; a world all to themselves.

And then there was the moment before the game even started.

The moment right now when the crowd was just arriving; the field scattered with workers setting up microphones and top executives in suits making sure everything was running smoothly.

The moment of anticipation.

Ricardo had loved baseball as a child.

He could remember playing with his friends on the hills by his house.

If he closed his eyes, he could still smell the dust, feel the sun on his shoulders, the weight of the bat in his hands.

“Hey, Ricardo, here’s what you came for.”

Ricardo opened his eyes and took the hot dog and beer that Jorge offered.

“Thanks,” Ricardo said.

“Where’d you go?” Jorge asked with a grin.

“To the past,” Ricardo answered.

“Well,” Jorge said, “You’re gonna want to stick to the present. I am so excited for you to see this guy. He’s incredible.”

Ricardo huffed in response.

He had heard of this pitcher.

Everyone had.

“I barely got us tickets,” Jorge continued, “So count yourself lucky. You’re welcome by the way.”

“Hey,” Ricardo said, “I didn’t ask for this. You invited me.”

“Cause, I knew you’d like it!” Jorge responded.

Ricardo raised an eyebrow at his friend, “You really think I’ll enjoy this?”

Jorge sighed, “Just try and have a good time. Don’t make me regret bringing you.”

Ricardo didn’t reply.

He stared out at the field again.

Jorge couldn’t understand.

No one could unless you’d been a part of it.

“Look! Here they come,” Jorge yelled excitedly, nudging Ricardo in the ribs.

Ricardo looked and there came the players, dressed in their blue and white Dodger uniforms.

And there was the man that the crowd went crazy for.

Fernando Valenzuela.

“He looks so small,” Ricardo mused.

“That’s cause we’re up high, pendejo,” Jorge said laughing.

Ricardo rolled his eyes, “I’m just saying. All of this for just a man.”

“Well, wait till you see what this man can do,” Jorge replied.

Ricardo looked around at the crowd.

Their faces aglow, their smiles wide, all watching Fernando down below.

Music began to play.

Ricardo looked confusedly at Jorge, “Is this Abba?”

Jorge nodded without taking his eyes away from Fernando, “They play this every time he warms up.”

Can you hear the drums, Fernando?

I remember long ago another starry night like this

In the firelight, Fernando.

Ricardo watched as Fernando threw pitches.

“Why does he look up before he throws?” he asked Jorge.

Jorge shrugged, “Praying to God?”

Praying to God, Ricardo thought.

Praying to God about what, though?

To win would be the obvious answer.

“Does he know?” Ricardo asked.

“Know what?” Jorge responded.

Ricardo didn’t reply.

Jorge finally looked at him and said, “Oh…I don’t think so. Well, maybe he does now, but he didn’t when he got drafted.”

“Has he said anything about it?” Ricardo asked.

“…I don’t think so,” Jorge said.

The two friends looked at each other for a moment and then Jorge went back to watching Fernando.

Ricardo looked around at the crowd again.

A sea of Latino faces entranced by the pitcher.

They were holding signs, screaming his name, wearing makeshift t-shirts with his face plastered on the front.

It all felt a bit pandering to Ricardo.

Considering.

Considering the past.

Considering his past.

As Ricardo looked out over the stands, he could still see the hills that used to be there.

The houses that his neighbors built.

That his father built.

He could see himself holding a baseball bat, hitting the ball far, his friends running to go grab it, him running and watching the city from high above as he ran passed the bags of rice they set up as bases.

Baseball, he thought.

The All-American sport.

The sport that seemed to define America somehow.

And here they were watching a Mexican athlete rise to fame.

And Ricardo knew he should feel pride.

In a way, he wanted to.

He knew this was huge.

It was a moment that would be written about, laid down in not just sports’ history, but American history.

He could feel it.

Fernandomania it was already called, and Ricardo felt that he should feel some excitement about history being made in front of his eyes.

But all he could feel was a massive weight in the pit of his stomach.

He turned to Jorge and said, “I got to go, man.”

Jorge gaped back, “You serious? The game hasn’t even started! Come on, Ric, just watch one inning. One inning and if you still want to leave, then leave.”

Ricardo looked down again at Fernando.

He again pondered the importance of it all.

A Mexican pitcher bringing a mass of Latino fans to the stadium.

A Mexican pitcher they hoped would help soothe the wounds of a Mexican American past.

A Mexican pitcher from a small rancho who blew everyone away; who was doing exponentially better than ever anticipated. And wasn’t that what it was all about really? The fact that Latinos were constantly being underestimated? Constantly defying expectations?

And maybe that’s why this moment was so monumental.

Except.

Except.

Except.

Ricardo could still see the women being dragged by their hair from their houses.

He could see the children standing in the rubble.

And they hadn’t even bothered to tear down the school yard,

Or the cemetery.

No.

They had just built over it.

And Fernando was standing on it.

Beneath the green-grass field, beneath Fernando’s feet, were the remnants of Ricardo’s home.

Ricardo wasn’t a religious man, but it felt strange to feel like he was surrounded by the ghosts of La Loma, Palo Verde and Bishop.

Chavez Ravine, they called it.

So, no, he couldn’t stay.

Ricardo gave Jorge a pat on the shoulder and made his way out of the stadium.

As he was leaving, he could hear the first notes of Oh, say can you see being sung.

He didn’t even turn around.

He walked by fans standing with their hands over their hearts, tears already in their eyes with the anticipation of the game.

And he knew what they felt.

They were about to be transported; shot into a different dimension; they were going to live for a few hours in another world.

And Ricardo wished he could join them.

But he knew that if he were to stay, he would keep getting lost in the past.

Seeing his mother working in their garden; his father fixing the roof; him and his brother sitting on the edge of the hill talking about what they wanted to be when they grew up.

“What do you want to be?” his brother had asked.

“A baseball player,” Ricardo had said.

And Ricardo drove away from the stadium, the bright lights shining in his rearview mirror, and as he looked back he could almost make out where his house used to stand.

June 22, 2024 00:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

R W Mack
13:28 Jun 29, 2024

As always, possible spoilers. Dont read this comment unless you read the story 9r dont mind accidental spoilers. I was skeptical when I first started reading. The first paragraph or two felt weak and I'm usually not interested in the sports aspect of sports writing. But hot diddly doodad, I enjoyed this one so much. I love the build-up to a revelation of something so deliciously dark under the mask of people cheering and weeping, maybe even oblivious, but probably just trying to cope with all they've got left to show for what happened. I lo...

Reply

Sophie Goldstein
22:19 Jun 29, 2024

Thank you so very much for this! I have a question. I've been told before that my writing sometimes is a bit more tell than show. I'm working on it and was wondering if you had any tips to offer? I've been looking at other people's work and reading various articles on the subject but am still struggling with finding the difference. Any insights or recommendations you have would be really appreciated. Thank you again so much!

Reply

R W Mack
16:20 Jul 06, 2024

The easiest way to address it is rereading out loud. I personally have key words I look for. If I literally read the emotion, like the words angrily, sad, depressed, even elated (which is usually a much better word than most people use in its place), then I circle what I wrote or make a note if it's typed. Then I go through and try to imagine how I'd know that person was happy/sad/angry. What would their face look like, how would their hands move, what would they be doing? And if it's not perfectly clear, good. Body language and facial expre...

Reply

Sophie Goldstein
17:15 Jul 06, 2024

Thank you!! This is so helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time. Thanks so much!!

Reply

R W Mack
00:45 Jul 15, 2024

If it helps someone get better when they've clearly got a knack for storytelling, it's almost unethical not to say something to help them improve. This was a real standout and anything that could improve on bones this good is worth so much more than I can give. Also, congratulations on the shortlisting. This isn't a fluke victory for you and I expect you'll make sure everyone knows it with your future submissions.

Reply

Sophie Goldstein
21:23 Jul 15, 2024

Thank you so much. Your words are very, very, Very appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
14:03 Jul 09, 2024

I think there's some really eye-grabbing writing here. Little note of feedback that you can take or leave--I almost wonder if it would be more effective to start the story in the middle and then double back. It does seem like it takes a little bit to get going--which is fine, nothing wrong with asking readers to ease in--but if you wanted to start it out with a punch, you could always begin in the middle of the narrative, give us a little bit to go on, and then go back to flesh out the given circumstances.

Reply

Sophie Goldstein
17:57 Jul 09, 2024

I like this idea! Thank you for the suggestion. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:01 Jul 05, 2024

Sophie, this was gripping writing. All throughout, I was wondering why Ricardo was against being at the game if he loved baseball. When you revealed what the reason was, I gasped. I especially love Ricardo being the only one feeling uncomfortable; that was a great touch. Lovely work. Well-deserved shortlist spot.

Reply

Sophie Goldstein
17:16 Jul 06, 2024

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:29 Jul 05, 2024

Congrats on the shortlist🎉. Story has many layers.

Reply

Sophie Goldstein
17:16 Jul 06, 2024

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:40 Jul 04, 2024

Very vwell written. reminds me of the real life incident of the new Las Vegas Racing circuit and stadium inaugurated this year with money and resources that was denied to their local school district which is one the biggest school district in the country. History, culture, sports and money are so linked with each other and "development" is often complicated and nuanced . Very good story . Keep writing

Reply

Sophie Goldstein
17:18 Jul 06, 2024

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:44 Jun 30, 2024

Really beautiful writing and thought provoking stuff. It's not easy to overlook the past for the present. Not for everyone. Well done on this.

Reply

Sophie Goldstein
19:20 Jun 30, 2024

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jace Keeler
14:26 Jun 29, 2024

Funnily enough, I actually wrote a very similar story for the prompt 'Write about someone who has trained all their life for one moment.' I really liked how you maintained the sense of suspense until revealing the true nature of it all in the end. The foreshadowing as Ricardo repeatedly drifts off and reveals he's not comfortable in a place where so many others are getting on fine was a nice touch as well. Great job!

Reply

Sophie Goldstein
18:12 Jun 29, 2024

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.