13 comments

Historical Fiction Drama Funny

(Content Warning: Mentions of death and prostitution.)



The whores of London affected the lives of every woman in Victorian England in one way or another. Susan Merrick might have joined their ranks had she not been born into circumstances so fortunate.


Throughout her childhood, she was prejudiced against the dollymops by her mother, whose main objection seemed to be their showy outfits. Her mother cast the strumpets in a particularly unsympathetic light; ensuring that Susie would never wind up like them.


Because Susie never needed to work, she didn’t realise that whoring was about as lucrative as it got for a lower class woman. Especially in comparison to the grunt work of a seamstress; glued to the loom for days on end, forfeiting sleep. 


Once she was a grown and married woman, Susie became less preoccupied with her disgust at the whores, and more concerned that her husband might be using their services. This was because Tim would return home after nanty narking in the local tavern, smelling a little too exotic as he climbed into bed. 


Susie's husband’s hedonism continued into the winter of 1868, when London entered a cold snap. As a lark one night, Tim’s drinking pals put him in a wheelbarrow and carted him around in the snow. It was all fun and games until their neglect proved to be fateful. 


As was their wont, Tim’s pals fled Greenwich park for the warmth of the brothel when they felt their loins stirring; leaving him unconscious in the barrow. Tim was as tight as a boiled owl; even the cold couldn’t wake him up so that he could stumble home. He stayed passed out all night, then passed on—dying of exposure. A resident discovered him the next morning; a river of vomit frozen to his chest.


*


That same winter, Susie was stopped in the street by police officers demanding to do unsavoury things in the name of the government. Because a steep rise in STDs had been affecting the country’s workforce, the government was intervening.


A junior and a senior officer cornered Susie in an alleyway, demanding that she submit to a spot check. The senior officer was tall and towered over her.


‘Madam. We need to check you for venereal disease. If you’d kindly direct us to your place of residence, we can do this in private.’


‘You’re not checking me for that. I’ve had no symptoms, whatsoever.’


‘It could be latent, Madam.’ The junior officer said, fingers wriggling near the truncheon at his waist. ‘The contagious diseases act demands that we check.’


‘You won’t find anything. I’m no strumpet,’ Susie said.


Though she sounded confident, Susie wasn’t sure she was actually clean when she recalled Tim’s possible brothel visits. Determined not to submit, she used every fibre in her being to stand straight and look the officers in their eyes.


‘We’re having a look, Madam--whether you like it or not,’ they said.


‘You are not touching me. I can’t believe we’re arguing over this! Be on your way, you couple of mutton shunters.’


One of the officers pinned Susie to the alley wall, while the other one callously defrocked her in front of the gawking market goers. The junior officer took his time inspecting Susie’s crotch with very cold hands.


‘Can’t see anything, Sargent. But I think we’d better take her in. Just to be sure.’


‘Right, you are,’ the senior officer said, winking. ‘It could be dormant. Bring the car around.’


*


The officers took Susie to Greenwich Hospital, where she was given sweat baths and rubbed with mercury ointments for twelve days. She felt rather more ill than before-- on account of the mercury--but was deemed clean before discharge.


Upon returning home, Susie remained asymptomatic. She was now more convinced that Tim’s tallywhacker had not been syphilitic; so was by turns grateful and infuriated. The coroner’s report still hadn’t arrived--did they bother carrying them out on people that had frozen to death?


Though it was humiliating, Susie’s hospital experience hadn’t been for naught. She became sympathetic to the plight of whores for the first time in her life. She had more empathy for the plight of every woman who was being subjected to wanton spot checks wherever and whenever officials felt like it in the crackdown on venereal disease.


To take a stand, Susie joined the Ladies’ Association against the Contagious Diseases Act, in 1869. It would take 17 years for the repeal to be granted, but eventually, there were no more humiliating spot checks.


The Ladies’ Association welcomed working girls to their group as a means of support and better understand the situation. Before her incident in the alley way, Susie wouldn’t have been caught dead fraternising with Carol--part time seamstress, part time whore.


After everyone else had left the meeting, Susie struck up a conversation with Carol while they polished off the leftover tea and scones. Carol tried very hard to act lady-like whilst sipping her tea in the presence of a middle class woman like Susie. And Susie could tell. She informed Carol that extending one’s pinkie whilst drinking tea was outdated and elitist. 


‘The raising of the pinkie need not be perpetuated if different social classes are to respect one another.’ Susie said, raising, then lowering her pinkie with her other hand. ‘Anyhow, which brothel do you work in? Is it Greenwich?’


‘Yes, Miss Merrick.’


‘Did you ever come across a man named Tim?’


‘Is that him who crooked from collywobbles?’


Carol looked embarrassed for using such crude slang, but Susie didn’t mind.


‘No,' Susie said, 'Tim froze to death in a wheelbarrow.’


‘Oh, yes. . . such a shame. I never did get to meet him. Neither did any of the girls in the brothel. He seemed like a nice fella.’


Susie’s eyes softened, and sparkled proudly as she contained a trembling smile.  


‘His mates always came rutting,’ Carol said, ‘but he stayed outside. Never came in once.’


‘He didn’t?’ Susie’s grin filled the width of her face and a rush of joy filled her abdomen. 


‘Oh, no. He seemed much too respectful, like.’


As she sipped her Earl Gray thoughtfully, Susie said to Carol,


‘That was my husband—the drunk.’




July 08, 2022 10:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Wendy M
21:19 Jul 13, 2022

An interesting mix of humour, and horror. That women suffered this abuse at the hands of people meant to protect them had me shuddering. In so many cases prostitution chose them, rather than the other way round, although no doubt some women made a good living. Fascinating stuff.

Reply

Jim Firth
07:50 Jul 14, 2022

Wendy, Thanks for reading :) Reading about history (especially history of medicine) always makes me grateful to be living in more enlightened times!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thomas Pascal
13:36 Jul 13, 2022

Hey Jim Just finished reading your story and enjoyed it. Great read! If I may offer one thought on the ending? I think it's a great ending that we find out Tim stayed outside and even better that Susie found that out too. But I think the last ending could be more powerful. See, we know the information in the last line. Carol doesn't, it seems, but we don't get any reaction from her. It just kind of ends. Now, I don't have any great ideas on how to give it a bit more "bang" so I'm not very helpful but it was just something that stood out ...

Reply

Jim Firth
17:38 Jul 13, 2022

Thomas, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I do agree about the last scene just 'kind of ending'. In my head, I had it so that when Susie says 'That was my husband--the drunk' it was supposed to be (ironically) with a note of pride, because she was saying that she preferred him to drink (and maybe die because of it) rather than him being unfaithful to her. There is room for improvement in the ending, but I also wouldn't know what to do with it to give it more bang! Thanks for the critique, its always useful to hear :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
02:19 Jul 10, 2022

Hello! You had me at “mentions death and prostitution”😂. Omg I learned so much from this…they really did check women for VD like this?? I like the characterization of Susie. Especially how she came to be sympathetic toward prostitutes. Great story!😻

Reply

Jim Firth
07:54 Jul 14, 2022

Sharon, Thanks for your kind words :) It is pretty mind blowing how this was going on less than a 150 years ago! I'm glad the content warning enticed you, rather than repelled you, haha :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
22:18 Jul 08, 2022

Great story Jim! Susie is a well rounded character; you gave her a brief but necessary backstory, and showed her personal growth through her eventual empathy and acceptance of women in these unfortunate situations. On a technical note, I would refresh on the rules of semicolons versus commas! It is my understanding that a semicolon is best used in between two independent but relevant clauses. Such as this: “Jim is a great writer; his stories just keep getting better.” Commas and em dashes are perfect for when you are adding more informatio...

Reply

Jim Firth
08:58 Jul 09, 2022

Aeris, Thanks for getting your pom-poms out again :) I'm grateful for the helpful push you've give me by calling me out on my improper use of the semi colon--I've been totally winging it and have never learnt how to use them properly. But I will now! They are a good tool. I think I'll be revisiting the victorian era again at some point, if only to indulge in its slang again!

Reply

Aeris Walker
11:06 Jul 09, 2022

LOL! Always happy to cheer on my fellow writers! I absolutely understand. Punctuation marks can feel arbitrary and confusing, but they are just another tool in your back pocket that brings your writing to the next level when used properly! And your writing is already so good, it deserves to be leveled up with expertly placed semicolons 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:46 Jul 08, 2022

A short, funny piece, with a lot of stuff happening in it :) Also horrifying. The "spot checks" sound a lot like the "virginity tests" that still seem to happen in parts of the world today. I didn't realize this was a thing in Victorian London, so I learned something. Despite the horrors though, it led to some great character growth. "She became sympathetic to the plight of whores for the first time in her life." Isn't that the way it often goes? It's not a problem, until it happens to us. Susie turned her experience into something produ...

Reply

Jim Firth
08:52 Jul 09, 2022

Michał, Thanks for your astute observations and kindnesses :) That old Victorian slang is so much fun to use. I had to restrain myself from using too much! And there are so many interesting things from that period you could use in a short story, but I didn't want to cram it too full. I'm glad the horror of the spot checks came through--I didn't want to be too flippant about them by smothering them with humour.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
16:10 Jul 08, 2022

Jim, this story had me looking in my dictionary for definitions. I couldn't find "nanty," but that may be a result of my dictionary dating to 1976. I had also never heard the titular word. If I may ask, what made you decide to write about the historical subject of the Contagious Diseases Act? I like how the story concludes on the note of Tim's fidelity, despite the suspicions the narrative evokes early in the narration. A pleasure to read, as your stories are always therapeutically humorous.

Reply

Jim Firth
19:33 Jul 08, 2022

Mike, I'm impressed by your antique dictionary! I feel lazy for using google now. If you had a Victorian slang dictionary it would tell you that Nanty narking=having fun and Dollymops=prostitutes! The story started off as an argument between man and wife, and it followed the husband's antics a bit more than the finished product did. I realised that Susie's story might be more interesting than Tim's drunken debauchery, so I made her the focus and was interested to see how she could be pulled into this world that she'd no intention of having...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.